PDA

View Full Version : Music on my mind...

rupertbare
Nov 29, 2005, 8:00 AM
I had toyed with the idea of calling this post “Cock Rock” – but thought it would be misunderstood by some of you naughty folks!!! lol!! (it was used as a term to describe bands like Led Zeppelin and that ilk).

As a few of you know I have a great love of music, and certainly have spent more time listening to my stereo than I have on making love (although probably have ‘thought’ about them equally!!)!! lol!!

So I was just wondering what others are listening to? At home or on your I-pods.

My own “Top Tunes” this month include the following items (in no particular order)
1) Kate Bush “Aerial”, 2005.
2) The Beatles “The Beatles (aka ‘The White Album’), 1968 (and NO – I don’t skip any of the tracks – I REALLY like ‘Revolution #9’ – except ‘Goodnight’ – in fact this album contains my all time fav. Beatles cut “Dear Prudence”)
3) The Dandy Warhols “Welcome To The Monkey House”, 2003.
4) Brian Eno “Here Come The Warm Jets”, 1973.
5) Franz Ferdinand “Franz Ferdinand”, 2004.
6) Goldfrapp, all three albums, the latest being “Supernature”, 2005.
7) Soft Machine “Third”, 1970.
8) Quintessence, “Oceans Of Bliss”, 2004 (a compilation of tracks from 1969-1972)
9) Mahler “Symphony No. 9”, conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, recorded 1964.
10) And finally The Velvet Underground “The Velvet Underground”, 1969.

I look forward to finding out a little bit more about you lads and lasses (I do believe that one's choice of music reveals a little about one's soul - lol!!)

Love and Peace from London, UK

RupeXXXX :)

Lisa (va)
Nov 29, 2005, 10:58 AM
Lately I've mainly been listening to Launchcast Radio (yahoo), mainly the love songs and ocassionally classic rock (hubby's era).
I also like Beatles, we have a band that comes to Roanoke every year and plays Beatles songs - " 1964 The Tribute " , they are really quite good on the stage.
I also like music to dance to, especially like the guitar of Carlos Santana.
And to the jest of my hubby, I think alot of the old disco songs are nice for dancing.
i have no one particular theme of interest, I enjoy most all music types - depending on my mood.

Lisa
hugs n kisses

red_riding_hood_27
Nov 29, 2005, 11:08 AM
Hate to say but I love the 80"s music. Grew up on that. However the Southern in me just loves my Country music. I just love a man with a Stetson Hat and Wrangler jeans. OOOOOH gets me everytime. If only my husband would fuflil that fantasy!!!
Angela

(oh Sorry about the spelling. I hated that Subject in School)

csrakate
Nov 29, 2005, 11:26 AM
What have I been listening to lately? Ok...as much as I joke about my age...this may really age me a bit. And to be honest, most of my choices exist because they are in my CD changer in the car and I rarely think to change it before hitting the road!!!

The Soundtracks to Broadway and off Broadway shows such as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, La Cage Aux Folles, Last Five Years, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, And the World Goes 'Round & Avenue Q.

When I tire of polluting the airwaves with my vocal accompaniment to these recordings while driving down the highway (very often forgetting that I have the sunroof wide open) I ususally turn on my XM radio and listen to a little comedy.

But my newest musical obsession is a recording of Orff's Carmina Burana. I have always heard parts of it, but the entire recording is phenomenal.

Hugs,
Kate

RebekaLee
Nov 29, 2005, 5:05 PM
what a wonderful thread! i LOVE music! and i'm always interested in hearing new music. ok, i can either make this list short or long...so lets see what happens.

1. i have been listening to the Rent soundtrack nonstop lately. i'm addicted. i saw the movie wednesday night and i would absolutly LOVE to see it on stage!
2. Dave Matthews Band is my absolute favorite. I can listen to DMB jam all day long. my favorite albums are Busted Stuff and The Central Park Concert.
3. Sarah McLachlan...you can never go wrong with her. her music is so beautiful... Afterglow is probably my favorite of hers right now
4. Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway is my strength music. Breakaway is a great song. and i love since you've been gone and behind these hazel eyes...they're great for getting over ppl
5. gotta give a shout out to Darren Flowers...he's a guy i ran into at a local coffee shop...and he's slowly getting bigger. www.darrenflowers.com go check him out
6. Ben Folds...he rocks and is awesome in concert...good cd by him is Songs for Silverman

so those are my tops...but i love all sorts of stuff...other artists include U2, ani difranco, counting crows, evanescence, pearl jam, anna nalick, john mayer, jack johnson, gwen stefani...omg, this list could go on and on and on!!! but i gotta say i have a weakness for the acoustic guitar...just about anything can get me...and fyi, guitar and a beautiful voice can make anyone attractive to me!!!

I LOVE MUSIC!

arana
Nov 29, 2005, 6:11 PM
I like a wide variety of music depending on my moods. I range from 60s on up and have no particular favorite genre. If I like a song, I like it. Lately I've been listening to Christmas tunes, Kate Bush, Toyah, UB40, Fall Out Boys, Kelly Clarkson, Coheed & Cambria, Korn, NIN, Jimmy Eat World, Good Charlotte, Trans-Siberian Orch., the soundtrack of Cirque du soleil, classic rock, and so on. I'm pretty versatile.

Timber136
Nov 29, 2005, 6:23 PM
I like a wide variety of music depending on my moods. I range from 60s on up and have no particular favorite genre. If I like a song, I like it. Lately I've been listening to Christmas tunes, Kate Bush, Toyah, UB40, Fall Out Boys, Kelly Clarkson, Coheed & Cambria, Korn, NIN, Jimmy Eat World, Good Charlotte, Trans-Siberian Orch., the soundtrack of Cirque du soleil, classic rock, and so on. I'm pretty versatile.

No, you are just amazing!! I don't know all the artists you've mentioned (I'm country/western and blues rock) but now I'll have to look them up and listen (thanks for the added work)

JC

CelticKuma
Nov 29, 2005, 6:27 PM
I encourage everyone and anyone to check out a band that's little known outside Toronto (and Australia as well, it seems.)
The Tea Party. :cool:
Yeah, OK, so my brother makes fun of them calling them "Led Doors" and I can see why. =/
But in my not so humble opinion, they're fantastic!

(Their first three, "Splendor Solis," "Transmission," and "Edges of Twilight" are their most raw, best, I think.)

I also listen to White Stripes, and Tori Amos is a forever favorite no matter what she does. Nine Inch Nails as well. (Trent can do little wrong.) And lately, the soundtracks to World of Warcraft, EVE:Online, and Emperor of the Fading Suns. Great background music!

codybear3
Nov 29, 2005, 7:48 PM
Cool thread, ruperbare...Here are mine back to back. Rock and roll but not real into heavy metal. Oldies, 80's Razor tie music. Country Western, classical, some Jazz...Love tunes from any era. Good hip-hop without the gangsta negativity...And most important to me, the music of the First People of this country... :) :paw: :paw:

Ratchick
Nov 29, 2005, 10:34 PM
Rupe,
A man after my own heart!
On top of what you have on your i-pod, I listen to tons of other stuff daily on mine.

I have Frank Zappa, Morrisey, The Organ, Le Tigre, All the Dyke bands :), X, Fugazi, Oi! Scouts, Minor Threat, Toasters, Desmond Dekker, Wiclef Jean, Black Eyed Peas, Sex Pistols, Ny Dolls, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Oingo Boingo, OMD, Violent Femmes, Romeo Void, Primus, Specials, Madness, English Beat, The Busters, Prince Buster, Skatalites, U2, The Cheiftans, Cure, Mozart, Debussy, Muddy Waters,& B.B King , just to name a few.

I love music of just about every genre. Although, I can't get into ANY new Country Music at all.

Hugs,
RC :rotate:

Ratchick
Nov 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
OMG I forgot Nine Inch Nails! Looove Trent.
-RC

rupertbare
Nov 30, 2005, 5:25 AM
I have thought about starting this thread for some time - but from some comments in the Chat room I know that "non-sexual" themes seem to annoy some of us!! lol!!!

However, recently there have been some GREAT "non-sexual" threads - the one on "Hobbies" was fab!! So encouraged I finally got round to it - and hey!! What a wonderful lot we are - a wide range of musical likes!!

And nice to see a love of radio showing up from some of you - something I've only returned to in the last year due to the DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) revolution here in the UK - had forgotten how much fun it is!! Especially spoken word.

Thanks for all of your replies so far - some of you maybe saw the other post I put up on the same day (My wife doesn't....) - so this thread is bringing a big smile to my face!! Thanks!!!

Love and Peace :)

Rupe.

RebekaLee
Nov 30, 2005, 7:28 AM
i'm glad you started this thread! personally i get tired of always seeing sex postings. i mean geez...is that ALL anyone cares about??? maybe thats just my opinion 'cause i'm not getting any...hahaha

rupertbare
Nov 30, 2005, 8:54 AM
lol!!! Thanks RebekaLee - know what you mean (your last comment - rofl!!) - my main attraction to this site is it's sense of a "community" - drawn together through a single issue (our bisexuality - or that of a loved one) but displaying as much diversity as our society as a whole - as I said - music is a huge part of my life - and I have spent more time listening to it than having sex.

Love and Peace

Rupexxx

The Cheshire Cat
Nov 30, 2005, 9:46 AM
Lately i've had the urge to buy alot of cd's. All the old stuff-from early Dylan to the Zombies. I couldn't figure out why-then i dawned on me-DUH! T.V. commericals. I don't know if they are selling alot of Cars or mutual funds by playing this music but for sure they are selling a lot of cd's! T.C.cat :)

The Cheshire Cat
Nov 30, 2005, 11:58 AM
speaking of music-am taking a break from putting up my christmas tree. Has anyone listened to Jethro Tulls Christmas Album? It's great. :)

ladydelanie
Nov 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
I love this thread, being a huge thread of all types of music.From Classical to Country
Some of my favs:
Sarah Brightman
Sheryl Crow
The Eagles
Mozart
Bach
Toby Keith
Trisha Yearwood
Tim McGraw
Faith Hill
Sarah Mclachlan
Josh Gracin
Keith Urbane
Matchbox 20
The Corrs
James Taylor
Enya
Alison Krauss
U2
Eric Clapton
Elton John
Rod Stewart

I could go on and on.......love music and I love to sing!....Not that I acutally can though...lol....When I have an empty water bottle I sing into it!....lol....try it sometimes, you will sound great. Though my kids think I am a total dork!......I love it!......lol.....

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"
Red Auerbach

Ladyd :tongue:

SweetBlackAngel
Nov 30, 2005, 1:47 PM
Cool thread, ruperbare...Here are mine back to back. Rock and roll but not real into heavy metal. Oldies, 80's Razor tie music. Country Western, classical, some Jazz...Love tunes from any era. Good hip-hop without the gangsta negativity...And most important to me, the music of the First People of this country... :) :paw: :paw:

Oh, I love "Cock Rock"! Heh. And Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites. Mmm...Robert Plant back in the day....yummy! :tong: Totally love the guitar guys and British rockers: Jeff Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, The Stones, The Faces....good stuff. :wiggle2:

Codybear: I've been looking to get into the music of Native Americans. What do you think of Mary Youngblood, Joanne Shenandoah, or R Carlos Nakai?

deSade
Nov 30, 2005, 2:11 PM
Greetings all,

Music is a passion of mine as well. I have found myself listening to a lot of different types of music. I was told by a friend that you can tell a lot about a person from the type of music they listen to.

1.) The Who - Greatest hits cd (and NOT because the CSI franchise uses their music in their intros.)

2.) Orff - Carmina Burana ( Kate, great minds think alike!)

3.) Anything by Barry White - Just to see if my mojo is still working!

4.) Foo Fighters - "The Best of You" and "All My Life" (They have a very interesting sound)

5.) Rob Zombie/White Zombie - Yeah, I know. It's scary but there's just something about a song that can scare the daylights out of you that is so appealing to me.

6.) The General's Daughter Soundtrack - Very bayou/southern feel mixed in with a undertone of menace. Just like in the movie!

7. Yo Yo Ma - His controlled timing with the passion of the pieces he chooses is just masterful.

I could go on, but I think I've revealed enough about my odd idiosyncracies. What the hell does this say about me???? I do want to thank you guys for your comments, now I have a new playlist!

Have fun!

DeSade

codybear3
Nov 30, 2005, 7:57 PM
Oh, I love "Cock Rock"! Heh. And Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites. Mmm...Robert Plant back in the day....yummy! :tong: Totally love the guitar guys and British rockers: Jeff Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, The Stones, The Faces....good stuff. :wiggle2:

Codybear: I've been looking to get into the music of Native Americans. What do you think of Mary Youngblood, Joanne Shenandoah, or R Carlos Nakai?

Good music from these three. There is nothing like the sound of flutes or the beat of a good drum to help easy the Spirit within. I have a CD titled Tribal Winds that contain music from Cheyenne, Ute, Navajo, Zuni, Lakota, Dakota, Kiowa-Apache that I listen to when I have a need to cleanse my thoughts. Northsound also carries one titled: Anawad:Native American Flute with Nature Sounds. It is pretty cool. I hope everyone else enjoys the attached from a Gathering Of Native Americans that took place in my hometown in June '05...- Codybear :paw: :paw:

wanderingrichard
Dec 1, 2005, 1:13 AM
< self deprecating snort>

try these artists.. and i don't know why i just do;
depeche mode
r carlos nakai
the who
the rippingtons
spyro gyra
lee ritenour
larry carlton
green day
miriam mekeba
khaled
enya
vanessa mae
cheryl crow
ottmar liebert y luna negra
al dimeola
kitaro
acoustic alchemy
miles davis

bit heavy on the strings arent i ? strange coming from a man who learned trombone and oboe as a kid

nerdslut
Dec 1, 2005, 1:18 AM
I'm a snobby britpop geek, usually. Pulp and the Smiths, blah blah. But I'm a total whore for anything catchy, regardless of genre.

Right now I'm a total mess for the Velvet Underground.

rupertbare
Dec 1, 2005, 5:11 AM
I'm so glad you are enjoying this thread folks - some names cropping up that I've not come across before - so will be checking them out - nice to see Frank Zappa and Velvet Underground mentioned. Also nice that many of us have a wide range of musical likes - myself I enjoy traditional English folk music and opera just as much as my Top Ten Tunes list at the top of this thread as well as Blues and Jazz - and the odd show/cinema soundtracks lol!!

With Love and Peace

Rupe. :)

Curious@23
Dec 1, 2005, 11:45 AM
Now, mostly the following...

Imogen Heap
Coldplay
Duran Duran
Depeche Mode

Timber136
Dec 1, 2005, 3:55 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the 'Ansley Dunnbarr Association"? Their two best cuts were 'Down,down,down' and 'Sugar on the line'. Released on or about 1969-71. I have been to many music stores looking for it but, no luck. I had the 45 (LOL) in 1972 (My age is the only thing thats not my fault!!). Any help is welcomed.

couple50
Dec 2, 2005, 9:26 AM
She likes Queen, Sting, Aerosmith, Dido, Stone Roses, Coldplay, Snow PAtrol, Gwen Stafani, Robbie Williams and many many more....

He likes The Who, Cream, Traffic, Roxy Music, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Public Image Limited, Led Zeppelin and much much more!!!!

texasman6172003
Dec 3, 2005, 1:28 PM
Hi yall,As a lot of you know,Lynrd Skynrd is my favorites. But i like also most all of the genre they call classic rock. I also love my country to. Not so much the stuff thats coming out now though. Also surprisingly i like some classical music.My favorite country singer has to be George Strait. His voice is so phenominal on anything he sings. That is what i grew up hearing at home mainly.country was on al the time. But my older brother got me hooked on the classic rock to. Yall have a good one. Tex....

12voltman59
Dec 3, 2005, 2:46 PM
Having grown up on the music of the 60's, 70's and 80's, (primarily the types of music that they now call "Classic Rock) you would think that my musical tastes would remain on that kind of music, but it is not. I like a wide variety of musical styles--the only exception being rap and hip/hop.
Today I primarily listen to what the programmers call "Americana" The best way to describe that music is to say it is a more progressive form of country music that goes beyond the "Clear Channelization" that American music is undergoing. While in many towns, there is no outlet for this sort of music--some NPR stations program this type of music as does Music Choice on cable television. This style can be found on the web and satellite radio as well.

Some of the artists who are classified under this style include people like Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovette, Buddy and Julie Miller, Gillian Welsh, Uncle Tupelo, Graham Parsons, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and many others.

I also like roots reggae, Celtic, Classic Jazz, and music with a latin flavor such as "salsa and merengue."

I have not been on for several weeks--I missed this place.

First--my computer has been ill--I just got it back and running today (Dec 3) and for most of the past week-- I have been suffering from a case of veritgo thanks to having an infection of my sinuses and middle ear.

As I write this--I am still dizzy but otherwise feel fine. It has been tough to focus my eyes properly with all of the spinning--hopefully the dizzininess will soon pass...

michguy
Dec 3, 2005, 10:55 PM
Some nice stuff on here, I would add
Tom Waits
Bruce Cockburn
Greg Brown
Mary Gauthier (pronounced Go Chay) amazing stuff!
Richard Thompson
Chris Smither
La Guitara (14 Lady guitar players)
Patty Larkin
Rodney Crowell
Guy Clark...........So much good music
out there, listening to the new KGSR Volume 13
right now.......great thread

arana
Dec 3, 2005, 11:00 PM
I have not been on for several weeks--I missed this place.
First--my computer has been ill--I just got it back and running today (Dec 3) and for most of the past week-- I have been suffering from a case of veritgo thanks to having an infection of my sinuses and middle ear.
As I write this--I am still dizzy but otherwise feel fine. It has been tough to focus my eyes properly with all of the spinning--hopefully the dizzininess will soon pass...
Hope you're feeling 100% very soon 12volt!!

rupertbare
Dec 10, 2005, 5:18 PM
12Volt I trust you're feeling better!

Rupe :)

codybear3
Dec 10, 2005, 6:51 PM
Wishing you a quick recovery 12volt... :paw: :paw:

12voltman59
Dec 10, 2005, 9:02 PM
Thanks to all who wished me well--I am feeling better now. Most of my dizziness is gone and I am back out doing things again. I still don't trust my driving abilities as yet, but thanks to a friend--she drove me over to see some mutual friends in a town about an hour's drive distant. I handled the ride well so I would say I am on the mend...hopefully in a few days I can drive myself around again.

Other music I like---what they used to call "new age" and I think they call it "ambient" now. The Public Radio International program called "Echos" that airs on a number of public radio stations in the US carries the program---nice to listen to when heading off to sleep.

Sparks
Dec 11, 2005, 9:40 AM
Alan Jackson, Country/Crossover
"Remember When"

The words are beautiful. The harmony between vocal and instrument is very sweet. Check it out. I'm sure you'll like it.

The Cheshire Cat
Dec 12, 2005, 10:28 AM
Hello. I have a music problem and could use some suggestions. Years ago i had a collection of piano music ( by Chopin) on vinyl. When cassettes came out I recorded the records onto casettes. The problem is i didn't write down who the pianist was (guess i thought i would remember-i don't) I have been trying replace them on cd's and have bought a lot already that i just don't like. so i have been searching and playing samples of different pianist on the internet. I have listened to everyone from Ashkenazy to van cliburn and the only one that comes close to the sound of my old records is Pollini. I guess i am looking for someone that can move me from joy to tears-not necessarily technical perfection. It has occured to me that with such a diverse group of people here that someone can point me to some really great (and moving) pianists to listen to. Thank You, T.C.Cat

mn freak
Dec 12, 2005, 11:32 AM
I love most types of music,here is a sample....

DAVID BOWIE
Tom Waits
Bauhaus
All The Pretty Hoses(local transgender glam group in minnesota)
VNV Nation
The Dandy Warhols
Dwight Yokam
Nine Inch Nails
Tiffany (yes,that is not a joke)
Johnny Cash
Haley Bonar(another amazing local act in MN)
KMFDM
The Psychedelic Furs
The Lords Of Acid
Iggy Pop
The Velvet Underground
TATU(I know they're not lesbians,but it is DAMN good pop)
Sisters Of Mercy
Depche Mode
Spacehog

I will stop before I list everything in my music collection.

:2cents: :2cents:

Ratchick
Dec 12, 2005, 6:11 PM
MN Freak,
Great collection despite the Tiffany listing ;)
I like ot see another Lords of Acid fan...
Hugs,
RC

gotastiffy
Dec 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
I guess you can say I'm eclectic when it comes to music. I have a musical background which makes sense. I enjoy everything from country music to some classical. I listen to rock, pop, r&b, oldies, southern rock, etc.

I have always wondered how only one type of music can be listened to all the time, when there is sooo much good music out there.

wanderingrichard
Dec 12, 2005, 11:48 PM
ammendum;
well i thot back to some other days and these too came up;
uriah heep ferde grofe nazareth chopin neil young and crazy horse gentlegiant traffic gershwin yes journey iron butterfly trans siberian orchestra mannheim steamroller manhattan transfer steve winwood
fleetwood mac foreigner prince the barkays nona hendrix lisa lisa and cultjam the family rene and angela kraftwerk motorhead morris day and the time omega lucifers friend and i know i missed a lot of others, but, if that isnt variety, what is?

rupertbare
Dec 14, 2005, 6:09 AM
uriah heep, neil young and crazy horse, gentlegiant, traffic, Gershwin, yes, iron butterfly, steve winwood, fleetwood mac, family, kraftwerk, motorhead and i know i missed a lot of others, but, if that isnt variety, what is? Well it’s varied for sure!!! Lol!!

Sounds like you’re a bit of a “Prog Rock” fan – which after the Beatles/The Who/The Rolling Stones/Kinks became my big “intro” into the world of rock music – something that has become a life-long enjoyment.

Ratchick – what should be legalised????

My wife absolutely loathes Kate Bush – but as she’s away until Thursday I’ve been listening to her new one a lot and also to “The Red Shoes” – especially tracks 2,5,10 & 12. Oh yeah – and a LOT of John Lennon (but then I would – it’s 25 years since he was murdered).

With Love and Peace,
and also with thanks for seeing artists posted that I’m unfamiliar with and now have the pleasure of looking forward to listening to!!

Rupe, London England. ;)

12voltman59
Dec 14, 2005, 2:17 PM
It is interesting to see what types of music everyone listens too--just as we are all unique individuals with our likes, dislikes, personal quirks, etc. that make us up--individual musical tastes are so variable.

I am always amazed how there are musical artists out there that I get turned on to either by a friend, relative or hearing the music on the radio or one of the many sources now available to us that I have never heard of before-yet they have been recording for some length of time. It is fun to come across such an artist and then I have to add such artists' recordings to the list that I will never be able to compile lest I win the lottery or some of my paintings sell for a bundle.

While I have pursued my desire to be creative through writing and art--I find that my capacity for producing music to be somewhat limited because of all of the mediums of expression--music is such a fundamental aspect of our being and music can immediately create such emotion and feeling in us. I do enjoy music so very much.

Medical researchers have found in their studies of people who have suffered from strokes or other conditions that cause mental impairment--the one area of the brain that still remains active is the part that recognizes and processes music. I believe that not only is music genetically programmed into the very fabric of our bodies--it is something that transends our physical nature.

I can say that if not for music--I may not still be walking on the earth. In some darker periods of my life--not alcohol, not drugs (prescribed or otherwise), not religion, not even the love of others could pull me back.

It was music that brought me back. I often find that even when I am "feeling good," it is necessary to play music that is not "happy" in order to work through some things, but then again--it is fun to put on some really great and lively music--for me--something like a really upbeat number from somebody like the "late, great" Tito Puente--that man was dying of cancer, but yet he still got up on stage and gave a great show. I got to see him not long before he died when I was on a trip to Las Vegas. I am so glad that I did--what a show--it surprised the heck out of me to learn just a few days later that he was gravely ill--he only performed a few more times after that.

Johnny Cash was also quite ill in that time preceeding his death, but yet he made some of the most profound music of his career as his light was fading out.

Music has a power and like all things powerful--can be used for ill or good.

Thankfully-it is mostly good.

Keep the postings on this topic coming....

OralBradley
Dec 15, 2005, 1:37 PM
Ravel's Bolero certainly has the beat for a near orgasm fuck-frenzy.

Fresia
Apr 8, 2015, 1:21 PM
Bump it up!