PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Britain

childofwinter
Feb 26, 2008, 9:11 PM
Anyone else feel that? I bet that woke people up!

I think that must be the only earthquake I've ever felt. My computer table as shaking, but I didn't think it was an earthquake.

12voltman59
Feb 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
Did the trembler do any damage or just some "shakin', rattlin' and rollin'?"

diB4u
Feb 27, 2008, 3:11 AM
Anyone else feel that? I bet that woke people up!

I think that must be the only earthquake I've ever felt. My computer table as shaking, but I didn't think it was an earthquake.

Hmm i dunno i was asleep but i put on the tv this morning- and on GMTV they was talking about the earth quake.

5.1 apparently and thats the biggest we've ever had in the Uk.

Anyone remember THAT hurrican we had years ago, I was asleep throughout that one as well lol.:bigrin:

FuzzloverUK
Feb 27, 2008, 5:01 AM
I felt it. First time the earth has moved for me for a while...

Skater Boy
Feb 27, 2008, 7:47 AM

LMAO!

Yeah, I felt it too... I was watching TV at the time, and the whole house started shaking gently. In the grand scheme of earthquakes, it wasn't a big one. BUT, as far as BRITISH earthquakes go it was quite big. There was no noticeable damage where I live though.

TheDragonflies
Feb 27, 2008, 7:55 AM
Hi,
we live in grimsby which is 14 miles form the center of the earthquake,it shook our home,with picture's and bookshelves,falling,we did not have any structure damage,but was still very heart stopping moment.

Ammigoth
Feb 27, 2008, 8:03 AM
think it was a 4.7 apparently the biggest earth quake in the uk for 25 years OH and i fainted from shock >_<

diB4u
Feb 27, 2008, 8:19 AM

Damn and blast it- aww Fuzzy, at least it rocked ya world, i was asleep. Saying that i think i might've been dreaming of a lorry or something rolling down a path or something like that.

I'd like to feel the earth move for me too lol.. :bigrin:

12voltman59
Feb 27, 2008, 8:28 AM
I heard the report on the quake early this morning our time on the BBC World Service program---they did say that while it shook pretty good--there are no reports of any major structural damage or of serious injuries and no deaths as a result---it was not really enough of one to do any structural damage---but people did get hurt from things falling off shelves and such or picking up broken glass and getting cut--minor things like that.

If you are going to have an earthquake--it sounds like this was the best way.

Ninnian
Feb 27, 2008, 11:57 AM
Im glad to hear that our friends across the big water havent had any major loss of health or property!! Hang on!!!
Wasn't I just reading yesterday(or so) about there being a 6.4 quake up in the frozen tundra where they have built that super seed-collection vault?
(ok, I want to say Denmark.. but I may be wrong)

Are they related? same tectonic edge ?

It's liek hearing ya'll had a tornado- it's just not *Supposed*to happen.. ya know?

Nin

allbimyself
Feb 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
Global warming is at fault!

darkeyes
Feb 27, 2008, 1:10 PM
5.2 on the ole richter scale... jeez piddly wee quake... few chimney pots fell down an a lil shakin... earth moved more powerfully for me las nite in privacy of me own bedroom!:tong:

Ta Kate me yummie....:bigrin:

childofwinter
Feb 27, 2008, 1:25 PM
Im glad to hear that our friends across the big water havent had any major loss of health or property!! Hang on!!!
Wasn't I just reading yesterday(or so) about there being a 6.4 quake up in the frozen tundra where they have built that super seed-collection vault?
(ok, I want to say Denmark.. but I may be wrong)

Are they related? same tectonic edge ?

It's liek hearing ya'll had a tornado- it's just not *Supposed*to happen.. ya know?

Nin

Thats in Norway, the seed thing.

Theres apparently this really old fault in the middle of the main island which seems to be the origin of the earthquake.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Feb 28, 2008, 3:34 PM
Scared my daughter pretty bad..she thopught she left all the quakes back in California...lol She lives about 30 miles outside of London...I Think.
Cat.