PDA

View Full Version : I want to fly with this captain at the controls

12voltman59
Feb 22, 2008, 5:33 PM
This American Airlines jet had to make an emergency landing at Miami International after taking off from another area airport and had problems retracting the forward landing gear.

The pilot did a great job of using most of the long runway to bleed off as much speed as possible before touching the nose down----if you don't think airline pilots do earn their money--I bet you can ask every person who was on that flight that question and get a resounding YES!!!! in response.

http://us.video.aol.com/player/launcher?ar=us_en_video_748x541_full&mode=1&pmmsid=2072212

cddm50
Feb 22, 2008, 9:52 PM
I believe all pilots train for this scenario in the simulator.

Similar instance happened at LAX in '06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JemqDzMbzrM

I was on a plane where they lost flap control and had to land at full speed down the main runway. A bit nerve wracking. All the passengers could hear the stall alarm blaring thru the cockpit door while on approach. As we landed we had the fire trucks chasing us down the runway. When I deplaned I thanked the pilot for a job well done. I could tell he was a bit shaken, and frustrated, by the incident. He did a damn fine job controlling the plane at that speed down the runway. I'd fly with him again anytime.

HJ

12voltman59
Feb 23, 2008, 12:28 AM
Not long ago I had read a story on the web in which the writer was interviewing Chuck Yaeger, who at like 85 or so still flies nearly everyday.

The interviewer got to take a flight in some sort of aircraft with the General---when they landed--Yaeger talked about how it is a great flight every time the plane lands safely.

When you think about it--a landing is just a well controlled crash.

The scariest landing I ever had--I had gone up with on a flight in one of those restored World War II "warbirds"--the brake on the rear dragger wheel jammed up on landing and made the plane do a complete 360 degree turn at touchdown----we were lucky the thing did not wind up flipping out of control upon landing.

That was a good landing on the part of the pilot--glad I am here to talk about it!!! :tongue::tongue:

Falke
Feb 23, 2008, 1:38 AM
I believe all pilots train for this scenario in the simulator.

HJ

Yeah, a no flap landing is standard training at every place I have flown for. Speaking on sim training, my personal favorite sim scenario is the Souix City/United 232 re-creation... I would just as soon be happy to keep it in the sim though!

Also, well done to the crew on that American Airlines flight!

FalconAngel
Feb 23, 2008, 3:15 AM
Either way, that is some quality stick work. And the nice thing is that the nose gear stayed locked and down through it all. Says a lot for the airplane itself.