PDA

View Full Version : "Shivers"

proseros
Feb 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hello all.

The point of this thread is to-possibly-generate an intensely involved discussion around the subject of "sex" as opposed to the act of sexual intercourse - more specifically with the effort of exploring diverse aspects of a condition, which is all I prefer to elaborate at the moment.

I managed to come across a film I remember seeing very young and getting more than half way through it before my mother-in her maturnally moral prudishness, unaware of the nature and content of the film-whisked me and nephews out of the theater (we were budding teens at the time). But then, consider at that time "parental discretion" meant exactly that, so I did get to see a highly controversial landmark horror/sci-fi classic (exactly what I intended to do!)

snicker...

Except that the film had a tremendous impact on my psycho-sexual development mentally, physically, intellectually and emotionally; and having an opportunity to watch the entire film again today, I now see how and why. The "impact" now is no less-and even moreso considering the fact of many things in the world and in life since then.

If you have not seen this film-or would like to see it again-it is viewable in its entirety in 9 parts on youtube. I highly recommend an open-minded and objective screening of the entire film prior to responding and encourage any subsequent discussion/commentary here.

Please note that you will be required to login to youtube to view pt8.

Begin here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GN-3r2dBwY&feature=related)

Peace.

12voltman59
Feb 16, 2008, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the post on this movie--I had never heard of nor seen it--I took the time to watch the video segments--it was pretty good---kind of a step back in a time machine to see all that seventies stuff again--man was a lot of it tacky!!!

Thanks again for the post

TaylorMade
Feb 16, 2008, 3:23 PM
Ahhh. . .Cronenberg.

Everything that man does is to fuck with your head. :p His horror films are especially scary - -scarier than today's attempts due to the fact they are so freaking CEREBRAL.

I always thought this film was a critique of over-moralizing fears v. reality of the sexual drive.

You have another take?

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Feb 17, 2008, 4:29 AM
I did enjoy the film a great deal----how I could have ever missed that film is beyond me----once again---thanks for posting the link to those video segments.

proseros
Feb 17, 2008, 5:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivers_(film)

[a] I once considered a story where the cure for AIDS was a simple enzyme produced by deep kissing -ala Kama Sutra- drinking salivations; and whereby real, unconditional human compassion warranted behavior inbiased by race, age, gender or orientation, a necessity of human survival [and revival] that foregoes hatred, war and ultimately sexual ignorance.

[b] compare the film's exploration of expressions of eros and lust, from the canonical institution of heterosexualism, to lesbianism, homosexuality, pederasty- finally, glimmering polyamour.

The theme of all event driven realities of biological existence-including death-as ultimately sexual acts;every way being a way to nirvana, but in this case to "shivers" [orgasm], supposes dynamic reality a state maintained and regenerated constantly from chaos into order, from passion and violence [Which between men as exchange in "good sport" or "fair contest"]. "Shivers" goes way past anything anyone wopuld expect in 1975 to so boldly confront the internal psychodrama that we all play in our own minds.