PDA

View Full Version : Getting Hit on at Work...

numskull03
Feb 12, 2008, 9:44 PM
Hey!

So I work in a aparment marketing company... a very custom service driven field, working with people on a daily basis, and today for the first time ever... I got hit on while giving a presentation... He asked for my number (being the work minded person I gave him my business card) and he goes oh... can I ring to your personal line... I didn't give out my number... (still didn't know I was being hit on) then he asks if there are any cool places to hang out in the area... and I blabbed on about some sports bars in the area, and he looks at me dead in the face and says you know special bars... and whispers beacuse Im Bi....

This is the first time I've ever been hit on... not sure if its quite appropriate for the situation... but has anyone else ever had this happen?

TaylorMade
Feb 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
Is he a direct client of yours? Then that may be a company no-no.

Most people try not to "shit where they eat". . .but if you are attracted and you think it is worth it or can be managed ethically...each company is different. . .go for it.

*Taylor*

numskull03
Feb 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
Client and Employee Relations are STRICTLY banned! And I like my job too much to risk it.

Its just odd to have a client come on sooo strong.

Damn why couldn't this happen at the bars!

lookn0ver
Feb 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
its a test ...if you want a fatal attraction process to happen ,keep leading this sucka on.if not, then do what you know you must and just bide your time when all is right with the universe.
this is your livelihood . is it worth putting it all on the line? 4 a fuck?? possibly not even a good one. i say its BAD FORM.:2cents:

DiamondDog
Feb 12, 2008, 11:40 PM
Client and Employee Relations are STRICTLY banned! And I like my job too much to risk it.

You're not going to the right bars? You don't know how to flirt? You're shy? You're not good at reading people and telling what they want? You're not good at telling others what you want?

Don't have sex or get involved in a relationship with someone who you work with. It's just a seriously BAD idea.

I agree with lookn0ver who said that this guy is WAY too desperate and that's a bad thing.

Lorcan
Feb 13, 2008, 3:17 AM

Ever the paranoid one (you would be too if you had to put up with what I had to at work), I would think he's a company spy trying to see if you'll bite.

proseros
Feb 13, 2008, 3:52 AM
Sorry num, but-

You're leaving out a lot-Too much for me,and namely, precisely what role you play in this-since you mor eor less responded obviously to the obvious, and may not have bitten the carrot, but you did keep the blinders on long enough to want to follow the dangling thing (pun intended).

Such situations, that so drastically fall outside the immediate realm of what we are having to do with ourselves, might otherwise meet with a response of immediate closure.

"Can I call you at home?"
"You can reach me at the number on the card."

As for "kool places";
"I wouldn't know what to tell you about that."

But not enough of what sort of environment, relation, or circumstances lend that much confidence to a person to begin with, desperation or not, mutual attraction or not, this individual under any other circumstance was EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL- and if you have a supervisor or manager should immediately have been informed that this occurred, since you had been forced to check behavior that is clearly inappropriate and not consistent with the requirements of professiaonalism expected of YOU in YOUR ARENA OF WORK.

darkeyes
Feb 13, 2008, 4:38 AM

Works parties mus b pretty grim wer u r then hun.... seems 2 me yad b as well workin in a graveyard... peeps r human...workm8 or client... mind u ..ther is 1 job wer ya needs clients for that sortsa thing..an they pay through the nose for it an all!!! tee hee

But seriously...hav both hit on an been hit on at work by workm8s, clients an contractors...its the waya the world an not important as such, tho often is 2 the peeps involved..lotsa me m8s an otha peeps me knows liv wiv the hitter or hittee, an yea..a few r even married 2 em... its wen peeps say no an harrassment cums inta play that things get difficult..

... but dus agree wivya final statement.. is much more fun an liberatin in clubs an pubs!!!:tong:

bisexualinsocal
Feb 13, 2008, 8:10 PM
Happened to me several times and everytime I thought it wasn't worth the loss of reputation I'd suffer. Sex, in the scheme of life, is not worth loss of career, reputation or stability.... it's only sex. Not only did I decline them, I made a point of dropping them several notches in my opinion of their personal integrity and list of people I'd do business with. That behavior is in poor taste and of poor judgment.

chulainn2
Feb 13, 2008, 8:27 PM
never get your honey where you make your money

arana
Feb 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
Ok, I got to ask cuz I either missed it or something obviously that I'm not seeing....

This guy is your client...you didn't know he was hitting on you.... Do you have a sign on your forehead that says "Hey I'm bi"? How did he know it was safe to ask you for your number or tell you he was bi and ask where he could go in the first place? Since he whispered it to you I'm assuming that he didn't want anyone else to know.

Sorry, just my curiosity is going right now.:tong:

darkeyes
Feb 14, 2008, 5:24 AM
Tsk Chu.. aint dun it often.. but wen me has its been fun...mostly... the occasional lil fractiousness...but we can get that wereva we find our hunny hunny..

blackout
Feb 14, 2008, 5:33 AM

I honestly dont agree. I had a great serious and sexual relationship with a wonderful girl when I was 19 (she was 22) and we worked for the same company. It was quite funny, because nobody ever found out. There were suspicions, but nobody took it very seriously, and she was quite a looker, so everybody was like "yeah right as if she's gonna be dating some 19 year old guy!". It was also funny to greet eachother in the office there and say "goodmorning" while you had just been in eachothers arms 45 minutes before that. Ahhh memories.

Cesca
Feb 14, 2008, 8:00 AM
I agree with Chulainn 2. I agree only with hindsight since I have been hit on frequently at work, and none ended up as happy experiences. Twice I have been hit on by bosses and once walked away from my job rather than put up with the harrassment. Once I was stupid enough to have an affair with my boss, a man I knew was married and that it could never work out. His idea of an affair was that I was his property, and his alone. This too I walked away from for I am not baggage although he thought so. For this sin I was asked to move on.

I have been hit on by workmates a few times, men principally, who were more on my level, but have found that this too created problems usually because I did not want to get serious, and they read signals I was not giving out. Even although I met my partner at work, this caused family problems for her and meant the end of my job when her family, my employer, were told of our relationship.

So my advice is never to involve oneself with a workmate. I love my partner very much, regret nothing and do not look to a future without her, but life has many knocks and who can tell where we will be years down the line. What I do know is that whatever happens in our relationship, I never intend again to involve myself with a work mate.

I know we should never say never, for we can never say where our heart will lead us, and with whom. It is something I believe unwise, and to be approached with the greatest of caution. Yet we are only human and do many things we ought not to, and often do not learn from our mistakes. The heart leads us to repeat so many mistakes. I only hope I have the strength to over-rule mine should the occasion arise.

warmpuppy
Feb 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
In my AF days (I was a MSgt when I retired), I once had a Lt Col come on strong to me in a meeting, asking me to join him for a drink after work with eyes that left no need for interpretation.

It was extremely embarrassing, particularly when everyone there was in uniform. It was also shocking that he didn't seem to mind letting everyone know that he was gay.

I accepted his invitation after the meeting, and ended up in bed with him that night.