PDA

View Full Version : "Breaking The Faith" with those who serve

12voltman59
Jan 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
I heard this story on NPR this morning:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18492376

Why do those who run these wars and control the purse strings invariably seem to "break the faith" with those of us who freely serve in the military?

Another related story from earlier in 2007 about Tricare--the insurance provider for active duty military and their families--they had cut the reimbursment rate paid to mental health professionals for the services they provide to military members---at a time that more and more returning soliders need such health care:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070611/ai_n19289570

I did find something subsequent to that article where some riders where put onto a defense appopriations bill back in the fall by several US Senators--but I could not find if that went through since I know that Bush selectively vetoed certain things in that legislation and now after his state of the union address last night--- he apparently has signed an executive order requring that many "earmarks" are null and void and I don't know if this falls into that category----I could not find out what is the status of that increase.

pasco_lol_cpl
Jan 29, 2008, 11:42 PM
Sadly this is nothing new. Those of us who serve or who have served can never count on our political masters to ever live up to their promises to us or to give us our due. We have been shit forever and a day. Hell look at MacArthur did to our ancestors after WWI during the protest in DC in the 30s (IIRC)

FalconAngel
Jan 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
They break the faith because those that pull the purse strings never serve and never will have a family member serve......at least not anyplace that they would ever get wounded or killed.

Ninnian
Jan 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
Pasco,
do you realize how few even recognize your description of teh "Bonus Marchers" and thier demise at teh hands of MacArthur, et al?

The sad truth is there aren't enough who appreciate teh efforts and sacrifice of those who serve. I haven't, but I am steeped in a family that has and Im a histoy nut. I know I owe, and am thankful Every day.
The only pressure those in charge feel to keep any "faith" are from teh masses. When the masses are uninformed at best and apathetic at worst...?:(

pasco_lol_cpl
Jan 30, 2008, 5:11 PM
Pasco,
do you realize how few even recognize your description of teh "Bonus Marchers" and thier demise at teh hands of MacArthur, et al?

The sad truth is there aren't enough who appreciate teh efforts and sacrifice of those who serve. I haven't, but I am steeped in a family that has and Im a histoy nut. I know I owe, and am thankful Every day.
The only pressure those in charge feel to keep any "faith" are from teh masses. When the masses are uninformed at best and apathetic at worst...?:(
Honestly I was wondering how many folks would get the reference.

shameless agitator
Jan 30, 2008, 6:07 PM
Sadly this is nothing new. Those of us who serve or who have served can never count on our political masters to ever live up to their promises to us or to give us our due. We have been shit forever and a day. Hell look at MacArthur did to our ancestors after WWI during the protest in DC in the 30s (IIRC)Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head here. As long as we have the rich & priveleged sending the poor & underpriveleged off to kill & die, the soldiers are always going to get screwed. Thing is we all have to accept responsibility for what happens to these folks. Since we (theoretically at least) live in a democracy, wars and mistreatment of the soldiers who fight them can only happen if we allow it. Most people though can't be bothered doing anything about their corrupt & callous government.

wanderingrichard
Jan 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
Sadly this is nothing new. Those of us who serve or who have served can never count on our political masters to ever live up to their promises to us or to give us our due. We have been shit forever and a day. Hell look at MacArthur did to our ancestors after WWI during the protest in DC in the 30s (IIRC)

shit, i met a man 10 years ago who had lived thru that, and actually taken part in the protests!! oh the stories that man told........

Ninnian
Jan 31, 2008, 1:44 PM
Holycow, how OLD was he!??!

Did he walk teh death March, or was he ( and possibly his family) burned out of the park ? Many were run off by teh sabres and tanks before that happened. What a thing to do to unarmed vets :(
I love hearing first hand accounts of things- goes with loving history. Wish you had a tape recorder in hand, didn't ya?

parkerbi
Jan 31, 2008, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head here. As long as we have the rich & priveleged sending the poor & underpriveleged off to kill & die, the soldiers are always going to get screwed. Thing is we all have to accept responsibility for what happens to these folks. Since we (theoretically at least) live in a democracy, wars and mistreatment of the soldiers who fight them can only happen if we allow it. Most people though can't be bothered doing anything about their corrupt & callous government.

That's it.:three:

shameless agitator
Feb 1, 2008, 1:04 AM
:bigrin:

darkeyes
Feb 2, 2008, 7:12 AM
Wondered how long it wos gonna take for peeps 2 realise they jus cannon fodder that the rulin class, government or ne 1 else who runs the world don give a sod bout!!! Means 2 an end, no more no less.. an sum day mayb more peeps will realise it...

The Barefoot Contess
Feb 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
Something to think about: war rhetoric is always based on a myth, namely, that soldiers fight for the country and its citizens; that we have to be thankful for their sacrifice; and that criticism is unpatriotic.
The way I see it, war rhetoric, in many cases, feeds on a fundamental lie: the idea that an outside threat is a danger to the entire country, or, in other words, the idea that the interests of the ruling class are those of the ordinary people. That is false: the war in Iraq has nothing to do with the average American, his or her interests have nothing to do with Iraq. What is at stake in this war is control of the Middle East by American corporations, not the security of America.
Therefore, the rhetoric of the heroic soldier is also false. Now, I am not saying that soldiers are not brave, or honest in their intention to defend America and provide a stable governing system for Iraq. I believe most soldiers believe in their "mission". But the mission is a fake one: what they are fighting for is not democracy, it is power. And the power is not the soldiers', nor the Americans', nor the Iraqis', it is that of the ruling class and their corporate interests. Soldiers, as well as Americans, are, to put it simply, lied to. Soldiers' sacrifice is all the more shameful because it is deceitful: their lives support the wealth of their leaders, not the safety of their countrymen.
So, when I say that I do not support our troops, I am not saying that I wish them dead or anything like that. I would like for every American soldier in Iraq to come back safely. I support the withdrawal of the troops, but the mess right now is so huge that I am not sure that would be the best idea. Once again, corporate interests celebrate the "sanctity" of the war while deliberately creating a chaotic situation, and soldiers are left to their own devices to account for the greed of others. In other words, I cannot support the presence of the troops in Iraq, because it is based on a false mission.

(I know some stuff in this post might be off topic, sorry)

nudeorphic
Feb 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
What amazes me is how many parents are brainwashed by the "patriotic call to duty" and "it's the right thing to do" and convince their sons and daughters to join "because I did my duty you should too." This is prevalent in rural areas, depressed areas, factory working families, in families where support for higher education was not emphasized. There are also educated families who encourage their sons and daughter towards becoming an officer because of a family military history. However, for the most part, it is the underprivelege and poor who are convinced to serve to fight wars for the wealthy. President Bush made a serious error-he committed an armed force (which is a very serious decision) without an exit plan and poor knowledge of the social/historical background of Iraq. Going to war is a very serious decision. It should be for a very good reason, not from some sort of knee jerk response. The sad thing now is that the system is failing its wounded. This is the most tragic failing of all.