PDA

View Full Version : Bisexual and Lesbian/Gay Adoption?

parkerbi
Jan 25, 2008, 3:37 AM
What should we do to help increase bisexual and lesbian/gay adoption or make it more normal because there are a lot of people that strongly disagree. I want people to understand that there is nothing wrong with bisexuals and lesbians/gays adopting. I want to do this in a non violent and educational way; any ideas?:flag2:

rissababynta
Jan 25, 2008, 8:32 AM
sorry to tell you this but you can't change people's opinions just like that *snap*. the best you could do it educate (possibly through media since it makes such an impact on the world???) people about common misconceptions, such as a child adopted by gay people is more likely to be gay or molested or be traumatically confused. even then though, there are always going to be those stubborn people in the world that no matter what facts and information you present to them, they are so set in their ways that it doesn't matter. I think the best bet would be to just wait and hope that things change in time. i mean, black people have come a long way...women have come a long way...who's to say that gay people won't as well.

12voltman59
Jan 25, 2008, 1:26 PM
The thing is--those who are opposed to such a thing as child adoption by anyone other than heterocouples--they don't rely on inconvenient things like facts, rationality and the sort--they have to muddy up the water--stir things up--

I liken what they do when you are going to test when your spaghetti is done--take a bunch--throw it against the wall and see what sticks--

When they find some tactic that works--they perfect it and replicate it---

I know in Florida and a few other states--they now ban gays (gays of course meaning anyone not a good staightlaced heterosexual person) from adopting children---

Hell-I remember reading in some web bulletin boards about that mother who did all the protesting when her son was killed in Iraq and postings about the parents of John Walker Linn (the American Taliban) where people said that "liberals" should not be allowed to have children----

According to these folks---children need a mother and a father---a man and a woman raising them lest it totally fuck up the poor kids---conservative christian mothers and fathers of course!!!

It does get me---most of those who became GLBT were raised--at least in the past-- by what at least appeared to be straight, heterosexual parents---but that is an inconvenient truth that they fail to deal with.

My God--Dick and Lynn Cheney---two stalwarts of the conservative right had a gay daughter!!! I wonder if they were not straight and conservative enough??

Were all of those good folks bad parents since they let their kids become queers?? Probably to Fred Phillips--all of those parents who raised up faggots are going to hell too!!

I guess the thing to do is to amass as much objective information as possible--try to present it in a calm, objective fashion in as many forums as possible---not that such things matter much to the those on "the dark side, Luke" as I call them---

They are of the ilk--"don't confuse me with the facts---my little pea brain mind is all made up and I will do everything I can to destroy you--because you are the devil's own spawn if you think we are going to let faggots raise our precious little kiddies!!!"

TaylorMade
Jan 25, 2008, 1:29 PM
The thing is--those who are opposed to such a thing as child adoption by anyone other than heterocouples--they don't rely on inconvenient things like facts, rationality and the sort--they have to muddy up the water--stir things up--

I liken what they do when you are going to test when your spaghetti is done--take a bunch--throw it against the wall and see what sticks--

When they find some tactic that works--they perfect it and replicate it---

I know in Florida and a few other states--they now ban gays from adopting children---

According to these folks---children need a mother and a father---a man and a woman raising them lest it totally fuck up the poor kids---

It does get me---most of those who became GLBT were raised--at least in the past--by straight, heterosexual parents---or at least those who had one partner in that relationship, if not totally hetero--sure did pass off as one---

I guess the thing to do is to amass as much objective information as possible--try to present it in a calm, objective fashion in as many forumns as possible---not that such things matter much to the those on "the dark side, Luke" as I call them---

They are of the ilk--"don't confuse me with the facts---my little pea brain mind is all made up and I will do everything I can to destroy you--because you are the devil's own spawn if you think we are going to let faggots raise our precious little kiddies!!!"

I disagree with your broad brushing of the opposition. There are people who ARE waiting for a unbiased study of the situation- If there is one, please let me know - I myself am waiting for such. . .though my inclination is to allow such adoptions.

Not everyone who opposes does so out of hate...to think so is to become the thing you despise.

*Taylor*

Dagni
Jan 25, 2008, 1:46 PM
I don't know, it's normal here in Scandinavia for gay/les cpls to adopt kids so objectivly i don't see any logical problem for other countries to do the same.
At least my wife and I have one daughter, natural born but she lives with us and she have normal childhood. But of course that rasinig child in such family is kinda different, much more complicated to explain the child that someone who have mom and dad and those who have two dads or two moms, but i think it's all normal process in rasing child to know all differences from young age.

The Barefoot Contess
Jan 25, 2008, 3:33 PM
I think this needs time. Remember when it was outrageous to have kids outside of marriage? People would argue that children would have a hard time accepting their "special" situation. Same thing with children from divorced parents. The idea of a "family unit" made up of a husband, a wife and children was and is very powerful, but that does not make it right, or the only right model.
Sometimes we tend to overprotect our children, when it seems to me that if you explain stuff to them without making a huge deal out of it, and you are supportive and understanding, they usually have little trouble.
I believe that a lot of people who oppose adoption by gay parents do so out of a rejection of the idea of homosexuality to begin with. It is not infrequent to hear people say that they have nothing against gay people ("they can do whatever they want") but they don't think they should be allowed to adopt, they say, because it is not "natural", and children need a mother and a father. In my opinion, this argument is a mask for another issue: the fact that they think that homosexuality is "contagious" or "hereditary", or that it will "warp" children's minds, and that if parents are gay, then children will be gay also. Of course from the point of view of logic this does not make any sense at all, because homosexual people are born from both homosexual and heterosexual parents. Anyway, my point here is that if their "fear" is that children might be homosexual as well, they do have a problem with homosexuality to begin with, and their fear is a feeble way of "protecting" children from the dangerous gay community.
So, do I think gay people should be allowed to adopt children? Yes, I do. Whatever trauma children might develop will arise not from the family environment, but from the bigotry of the outside world. That is something we need to fight, not by hiding, or (mis)protecting our children, but by exposing them to a variety of opinions and lifestyles. Children are usually much more understanding and accepting than we think.

let_em_eat_cock
Jan 25, 2008, 4:52 PM
Adoption by gay and bi individuals and couples has been legal in the UK and other enlightened countries for years, so if anyone needs an example of this working very well, there are hundreds in the UK alone. It hardly figures as an issue here anymore.