PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla meets Blair Witch

wanderingrichard
Jan 20, 2008, 11:52 AM
saw the movie " cloverfield" yesterday, with the lady i'd been sweet on for the past 6 months or so.. and she broke off the relationship just before we went in to see it. but that's neither here, nor there;

the movie is all set in NYC and is filmed in 1st person.. one guy holding a video camera and constantly filming..just like blair witch project...

the monster is big and destructive and we never know where it came from...but there were huge shades of godzilla in it.

if you suffer from motion sickness /vertigo be warned this can be a rough movie for you. i had to get up almost at the end for a call of nature and the hallway and loo were filled with kids and adults who just couldn't take either the constant violent motion of the camera or the overwhelming violence .

so, hopefully this didnt ruin it for those of you who want to see it, but i felt i had to warn you about it.
Rich

Doggie_Wood
Jan 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yes! .. er, No! ... uhh, maybe? I don't know, better buy me another beer.

wanderingrichard
Jan 20, 2008, 2:40 PM
Yes! .. er, No! ... uhh, maybe? I don't know, better buy me another beer.

LMAO...well the house favorite here lately has been the darker offerings of the local brewery , Bighorn..great local microbrews....anyways, better not go into this one drunk or high, you won't enjoy the effects

BiphobiaFighter
Jan 20, 2008, 4:22 PM
I saw it but it didn't really appeal to me. Wasn't too bad, though. I wasn't really drawn into it so I don't have much to write about it...

parkerbi
Jan 21, 2008, 9:13 AM
so, hopefully this didnt ruin it for those of you who want to see it, but i felt i had to warn you about it.
Rich

I'm scared and may not go to wacht it.:three:

DiamondDog
Jan 21, 2008, 2:09 PM
So is the movie actually any good, or is it like the usual boring and poorly written stuff hollywood puts out?

jeancarleo
Jan 21, 2008, 6:53 PM
I LIKE MOVIES WITHOUT HAPPY ENDIGNS AND THIS ONE WAS ONE OF THEM.
THE ONLY ANNOYING THING WAS THE FIRST PERSON FILMING WITH THE CAMERA. OTHER THAN THAT IF YOU LIKE SCARY MOVIES OR GODZILLA, ALIENS, STARSHIP TROOPERS, BLAIR WITCH PROJECT AND SO ON THEN U GONNA LIKE IT.
IF U LIKE HAPPY ENDINGS THEN DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE.

ON A SCALE OF 10: 1 BEING WORST TO 10 BEING BEST I'LL GIVE IT A 7.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 21, 2008, 8:51 PM
Damn! And here I was going to invite Rich to go see it with me..so I could hide b'hind his arm in the dark...*Snicker* Yeah Riiiiiigghhtttt..
Hugz Sugar.
Cat ^..^

wanderingrichard
Jan 21, 2008, 9:03 PM
So is the movie actually any good, or is it like the usual boring and poorly written stuff hollywood puts out?

the movie hits hard and fast and is done ala Blair Witch, told from the 1st person, who just happens to be holding the video camera.. consequently, there is a lot of herky jerky movement of the entire screen and a lot of people didn't seem to be able to handle it.... thats why i posted like i did.. to warn that it might not be a good thing if you are motion sickness sensitive...otherwise, if you don't think it would bother you, by all means go for it.. after all thats the beauty of being a free mind and spirit, you get to make your own decisions and adjust accordingly

jeancarleo
Jan 22, 2008, 4:39 AM
If you like riding roller coasters then u can easily handle this movie, but if not then don't go for it ;)

proseros
Jan 24, 2008, 1:13 AM
Watch out! Long Post.

To say the least, "Cloverfield" is a highly intriguing little film; with all of its shades and reflections of show-stopping genre landmarks, yes, as jauncarleo points out-if in fact you liked any of the films he matches with-which is why I happened to have been intrigued by it, since there is so much sprinkling of "something else" we could be reminded of, as far as I am concerned, if you didn't know you were watching something new you might come dangerously close to convincing yourself that you were definately experiencing deja vu.

And that's as much as I would say without spoiling the fun of being intrigued.

"Fascinated". Perhaps a better word, offered subjectively; I have to admit to everyone here that I honestly found this film quite disturbing, from the above standpoint alone. To answer DiamondDog's query from the hip-This movie sucks-but it is quite disturbing, when you consider its real context, which is what I am going to comment on here. As for every precedent "Cloverfield" may be compared to, there is one in particular that struck me which no one has yet mentioned, a film now 40 years old (1968), that if for nothing else of value (considering everything we know about what went into marketing this movie in the first place) marks "Cloverfield" as the herald of the exact kind of genre context of future films-AND future events.

That film "Night of the Living Dead", exploited the then adolescent mass communication medium of "televised news coverage" to inform us of extraordinary events happening right outside our front door, and challenged viewers to consider social dependancy on video-feed perspectives of such events as "surreal entertainment", contrasting the apathetic desensitization of remote shock value with the real effort of dealing directly (and honestly) with the problem right in front of us-regardless of what it is-natural disasters,abuses of government, crime, racism, war, zombies, monsters-and airplanes crashing into tall buildings.

"Oh, did I forget that something like this actually happened?" Did I forget that the day it happened, it happened for me (thankfully) the same way it happened for just about everyone on the planet?.

And aside of the fact that I actually looked into that big hole in lower Manhattan, subconsciously it didn't make any difference to me whether the event happened or not. Sure it was an extremely horrible and tragic event, but it was great television! It was, for all that television is supposed to be-"great entertainment".

Not only did 9/11 REALLY happen, but I got to watch it on TV, all day and all night, from the safety and coziness of my home; and even if I-anyone-could 've turned the channel to something else, five will get you a hundred that would never have happened as long as the money shot was replayed, over and over again.

And I quote from the film:
ROB:"Are you still filming?"
HUD:"Yeah. People are gonna wanna know-how it all went down..."

DO TELL! Tell us, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX-Tell us how "it" all went down! PLEASE! We're depending on you for our daily dose of "Dirty Laundry" (Don Henley). Aren't we?

As "Cloverfield" ever so quietly confesses for us that sorry sinful state we've committed ourselves to-or is it just a consequence of evolution (technology) that permits us to live our lives so disposably. That we can be shown exactly what is happening to us and not really care; that we can be told what is happening to us and never really, truthfully KNOW whether we are being bullshitted or not-or just entertained. The "video" tape, the "movie", the "money shot"- is the only evidence we rely on to explain ourselves, to ourselves. All we have to do, is watch.

I find that quite disturbing.

Enjoy the movie...

chulainn2
Jan 24, 2008, 2:23 PM
Ive heard warnings about the shakey camera and motion illness, especially if your are near front row. Personally and unfortunately, I will never see the movie. I coulnt watch The Blair Witch because of the shakey camera, and I thought it was kinda dumb. I mean really, if I were going to walk around in a dark woods I sure as hell would be armed.

wanderingrichard
Jan 25, 2008, 11:59 PM
I HATE IT WHEN I'M RIGHT LIKE THAT.. guess it comes from being, as my dear friend cherokee_mountaincat calls it, an incurable empath...anyways.. here's proof of what i was saying in the beginning. [ please let me know if the link doesnt work] http://www6.comcast.net/a/
Rich

diB4u
Jan 26, 2008, 6:18 AM
No the link works ok.

Ahh cool cause i wanna go see that movie. I may have to close my eyes though dont want to have a migrane with all the jumppines of the film.

Ahh can't wait to see it thought. Thanks for the recommendation and if I'm either scared to my wits end or left sick i will post a review on here and om the imdb....

http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/intl/uk/

IT looks sooo coool...

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 26, 2008, 7:58 PM
I said that?? Must be CRS kicking in again. lol.
My oldest daughter saw it and said it made her sick to her stomach, but her husband sat there and ate a whole tub of popcorn, and didnt have a prob at all. But, it depends on the individual. :}
I'd still go see it and hide behind Rich's arm. (I dont really think he's buying that. Hey! A girl Has to act cute n feminine Once in a while ya know! lol
Cat

wanderingrichard
Jan 27, 2008, 12:40 AM
I said that?? Must be CRS kicking in again. lol.

I'd still go see it and hide behind Rich's arm. (I dont really think he's buying that. Hey! A girl Has to act cute n feminine Once in a while ya know! lol
Cat

ya, hon, ya did, wayyy back many years ago..but, sorry i have no desire to go see it again.. while i didnt get ill from it, K did, i had to hold her for about 10 minutes... and the kiddies that were sitting to our left?? [ 8-15 yro's] when we walked out the theatre, they were sitting in the hallways, most of them with their heads between their knees....

hide behind me?? only if i wear earplugs and a blindfold....