PDA

View Full Version : drug/medication recall

rissababynta
Jan 14, 2008, 2:12 PM
i got this from a friend today. just thought that i should share just in case.

All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE ARE BEING RECALLED

All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are being recalled. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient. It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain ) among women ages 18-49 in the
three days after starting use of medication. Problems were not found in men,
but the FDA recommended that everyone ( even children ) seek alternative
medicine.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:

Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (cherry or orange)
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold &Cough Medicine Effervescent
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold &Flu Medicine
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold &Sinus Effervescent
Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
BC Sinus Cold Powder
Comtrex Flu Therapy &Fever Relief
Day &Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
Contac 12 Hour Caplets
Coricidin D Cold, Flu &Sinus
Dexatrim Caffeine Free
Dexatrim Extended Duration
Dexatrim Gelcaps
Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
Dimetapp Cold &Allergy Chewable Tablets
Dimetapp Cold &Cough Liqui-Gels
Dimetapp DM Cold &Cough Elixir
Dimetapp Elixir
Dimetapp 4 Hour Liquid Gels
Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets
Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets
Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
Permathene Mega-16
Robitussin CF
Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus &Nasal Congestion
Triaminic DM Cough Relief
Triaminic Expectorant Chest &Head
Triaminic Syrup Cold & Allergy
Triaminic Triaminicol Cold &Cough

I just found out and called the 800 on the container for Triaminic and
they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following
medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and
seizures in children :

Orange 3D Cold &Allergy Cherry (Pink)
3D Cold &Cough Berry
3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on
the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and
they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small
children.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

proseros
Jan 15, 2008, 12:59 AM
HOLLY SHIT!

That IS very serious! Thanks for this information. That's damn near every one of the MOST commonly used OTC cold "medications" on the market! Is this an indefinate recall of these products (which is really what they are a bunch o shit sitting on a bunch of shelves that do a bunch of things that a bunch of folks have made into something to sell us)? Are the dangers increased with prolonged use? What dangers may exist for persons who have already been using these products over a period of time?

DAMN! I'm really pissed about this!

12voltman59
Jan 15, 2008, 1:14 AM
Jeeezzzzzz Louisssseee!!!!

That list is like 95% of the OTC meds that are sold---I took some of that stuff during my recent cold.

I can't believe I missed this in the news--thanks for the post!!

Being male---I am not in the primary at-risk groups mentioned, but better safe than sorry.

bearisbare
Jan 15, 2008, 2:20 AM
I don't have any vested interest in posting these links, but I wanted to add them to the thread:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/phenylpropanolamine-recall.html

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/ppa.asp

Interpret as you will.

proseros
Jan 15, 2008, 4:23 AM
Indeed.

There did seem to be something rather "kilngerman" about the blurb...

But just the same an eye-opening caveat. Thank you bearisbare.

rissababynta
Jan 15, 2008, 9:38 AM
i should have stated in the first post that there was no definite truth about this. i spoke to a friend and she did claim to have called the number to confirm it but i personally have not yet. so, i am not totally freaking out yet lol. as i did say in the original post, i was simply posting this just in case. considering that drugs are recalled all the time with or without it making the news, can never be too careful, especialy if it does turn out to be true.

also if phenyldropanolamine was the reason why they had to recal the drugs years ago, doesn't it make sense that it is still harmful? soooo, i would like to know why when i looked at my sons triaminic it contained phenyldropanolamine!

12voltman59
Jan 15, 2008, 3:53 PM
Well---this cannot be true--if it were with the brands of OTC drugs that are listed, like Alka Seltzer Plus Cold meds and the like----this would be the biggest damn thing on the news--it might even knock out the political news from burner #1 of the media coverage---this would be bigger news than the pulling of toys from China off the shelves because they were poisoned by lead paint.

This might be something that is coming down the pike--and I have not heard that---I would say at this point--not too much to be concerned with here.

the mage
Jan 16, 2008, 9:56 AM
a search found this....note the date of the advisory..

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/

canuckotter
Jan 16, 2008, 8:32 PM
Others have already posted the Snopes link, so I guess I don't need to. :)

Hopefully this will serve as an example of the importance of doing at least some basic fact-checking before forwarding junk like this list. Plenty of good products and companies have been hurt by careless forwarding of outdated (by seven years, in this case!) lists of "dangerous" products such as this. And it's also worth considering that with surprising frequency, these sorts of things are deliberately, maliciously started in order to hurt a competitor or a company against which the original creator has some sort of grudge... In this case it's legit (if horribly outdated), but still.

proseros
Jan 17, 2008, 7:06 AM
Others have already posted the Snopes link, so I guess I don't need to. :)

Hopefully this will serve as an example of the importance of doing at least some basic fact-checking before forwarding junk like this list. Plenty of good products and companies have been hurt by careless forwarding of outdated (by seven years, in this case!) lists of "dangerous" products such as this. And it's also worth considering that with surprising frequency, these sorts of things are deliberately, maliciously started in order to hurt a competitor or a company against which the original creator has some sort of grudge... In this case it's legit (if horribly outdated), but still.

You are correct canokutter (http://main.bisexual.com/forum/member.php?u=32781). Point taken. But the H.U.D. still flashing this issue into view even as of TODAY:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080117/ap_on_he_me/cold_medicines

The point is that this is not nor ever has been "old" news, and you can expect these kinds of reports to pop up almost on a seasonal basis, esp. when use of these kinds of OTC meds are high, or in the instance of any presumably new public health alerts (check the 60 minutes "superbug" blurb on the lower left) People start dosing themselves and their children with this stuff. And then again there is ALSO the issue of HEALTH CARE; the fact that so many people would rather spend a few bucks on OTCs than visit a hospital to adequately treat moderately severe symptoms simply because THEY HAVE NO INSURANCE and overuse these kinds of medications in effect to avoid high medical costs.

Ewwww. Didn't I open a can worms there...

Then the opposite is true as well, that a lot of good companies spend a lot of good money to see that people buy these OTCs. I don't own a television so I wouldn't know how often happy viewers are reminded that this stuff is always available-And how many Duane Reade's or Rite Aids are on your block?

So I guess we, the consuming public sit somewhere in the middle someone's campaign wars?

parkerbi
Jan 17, 2008, 9:06 AM
Thanks for sharing the information.

the mage
Jan 17, 2008, 9:52 AM
HEREs a link to a CBC report on this issue..
The ban affects kids....

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/01/17/cold-medicine.html#skip300x250

rissababynta
Jan 17, 2008, 11:40 AM
look, the only thing i cared about was if phenylpropanolamine was dangerous, even in 2005, and that is why they say don't take the medicines, what makes it safe now? because my sons medicine has it listed as an ingredient.