PDA

View Full Version : ...is anger less valid an emotion than any other?

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 2:05 PM
...is anger less valid an emotion than any other? In one of the other threads here, one person was centering out by another for being generally angry about the state. I think more people should be angry these days, too many people "STAND FOR NOTHING AND FALL FOR ANYTHING" I'm not saying losing control of anger is any good, but neither is denial.

I think that a rational person accepts all their emotions, and expresses them without loosing control.

An impulsive "berserker" just lets go of whatever emotion bursts out and probably has trouble getting along with people at least sometimes.

Then there are those Psychos who just can't wipe that fucking smile off their face. lol just kidding, but my point is some people shun certain emotions as invalid and refuse to address them. Sometimes even to the point where the individual is oppressed. Oppressed anger is the worst kind I think.

...any thoughts?

Skater Boy
Jan 3, 2008, 2:15 PM
IMHO there's nothing wrong with feeling anger, as long you don't let it consume you totally, and that you express it in acceptable manner. In fact, a little anger every now and then is virtually inescapable. That said, its often not the most productive of emotions unless you channel it carefully.

:2cents:

proseros
Jan 3, 2008, 2:51 PM
Well you don' t have to be 'angry' to be passionate about a thing.
Anger is sometimes funny because people tend to act stupid and its always amusing to observe strange behavior.

Anger and RAGE however are wholly different things.

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 3:24 PM
Well you don' t have to be 'angry' to be passionate about a thing.
Anger is sometimes funny because people tend to act stupid and its always amusing to observe strange behavior.

Anger and RAGE however are wholly different things.

Well ... if your truly passionate then you would experience the full range wouldn't you? and truly passionate people are very often the types who really care alot, if you care about the world around you, how could you not be pissed?
"Anger and RAGE however are wholly different things"...Are they? isn't rage just anger out of control, but the same emotion? "Anger is sometimes funny because people tend to act stupid and its always amusing to observe strange behavior." ... what about the stupid antics of someone in love? Or the absolutely hilarious way that some people kill themselves ....are those funny?

DiamondDog
Jan 3, 2008, 3:34 PM
IMHO there's nothing wrong with feeling anger, as long you don't let it consume you totally, and that you express it in acceptable manner. In fact, a little anger every now and then is virtually inescapable. That said, its often not the most productive of emotions unless you channel it carefully.

:2cents:

Agreed.

It depends on just what exactly the anger is about or why you're getting angry.

People who throw tantrums, threaten people with physical violence and psychological abuse, and flip out in a rage like this when someone simply disagrees with their false information/viewpoints are simply emotionally and intellectually immature people.

Some anger release is good but if you let it consume you constantly, it means you probably have other underlying issues that cause you to be angry like anxiety/depression, major stress/health issues, or you have bad anger issues that most people don't have.

Bluebiyou
Jan 3, 2008, 4:23 PM
Anger is a legitimate feeling.
From my psych education, I have learned that all our feelings are to be loved and cherished, for to a degree almost unimaginable to many men, we ARE our feelings.
That said, anger is also the first defense of the ego.
When you're (any of us) angry, what are we defending?

Finally, there are angry people. These people are quick to contradict, incite, prod, correct (sometimes just lay in wait to pounce!), and often the last people to understand "I'd rather be happy than right any day"; the last to apoligise; the last to lay a subject or prejudice aside as 'less important that the person I'm dealing with'.
There were certainly large times in my younger life I have been an insuferable asshole and angry... such an angry asshole...
The more responsibility I took for my own anger, the less of it (over time) I expirenced.
I had an extremely beautiful girlfriend a few years ago. Remember the movie 'Joe Black'? The beautiful girl (Angeline Jolie?) was almost as skinny and almost as pretty (they actually had a similar look going) as my girlfriend. Problem was, my girlfriend was an extremely angry woman. The sex was fantastic (when a woman says 'angry sex' I know what she means!). But no matter what, she would get angry at the conclusion of a large fraction of all conversation. It was almost an expirement for me... to be able to deal with such an angry person. To be with such a beautiful woman, and to have such... fantastic sex was worth dealing with the anger for about 6 months, then she finally managed to piss me off enough to break it off.
Police departments usually recruit angry people. Cops need to pull from that pool of anger in demanding situations.
Angry people seem angry to most others (some are able to hide it well, some are not), but angry people usually do not seem angry to themselves. They view themselves as simply necessarily reacting to 'the stupidity' or 'stupid people'... somehow the angry behavior is blamed on another person.
To sum it all up philosophically, I saw a quote from Abraham Lincoln that I think states it the best:
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be." Obviously, the same holds true for anger, and these two (anger and happiness) are usually opposed.

proseros
Jan 3, 2008, 4:26 PM
Well ... if your truly passionate then you would experience the full range wouldn't you? and truly passionate people are very often the types who really care alot, if you care about the world around you, how could you not be pissed?
"Anger and RAGE however are wholly different things"...Are they? isn't rage just anger out of control, but the same emotion? "Anger is sometimes funny because people tend to act stupid and its always amusing to observe strange behavior." ... what about the stupid antics of someone in love? Or the absolutely hilarious way that some people kill themselves ....are those funny?

From the bottom up...

I don't know anything about suicide being funny or hilarious. Yes people ACT stupid when angry. We DO stupid things too and shape and change ourselves in the process. We also learn from our anger. Murder and suicide are outright tragic and if you're into Weltscmertz that's cool, but still-who knows how the cosmos laughs anyway? I think we are all stupid thinking we are the only ones here doing anything important.
NO. Rage is NOT anger. Rage may have anger, love, lust or passion or mercy or any of those things as its catylyst, but has nothing to do with the other. Perhaps I was not clear about making a distinction between what people do and what happens in the World where people are, and for that I apologize. Considering rage an expressive effect with intent, and I remember the quote "It is easy to call the devil, for the devil is always calling you", so it is also true that the intent of evil is to shock and disgust and revile the heart."

Whether the effect intended affects anything is our responsibility.

I don't have have to get angry about anything happening in the World more than I have to be careful about how I allow myself to feel about anything in the first place. Again I should have been more considerate.

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 5:58 PM
Interesting... I have an impulsive, explosive personality myself, but I'm no stereotype. Weltscmertzen indeed. Pain of the world. Now I just googled that, couldn't find much but vague indirect references... in English. I'm guessing since you gave a german title that it's an idea of some german philosofer?

Skater Boy
Jan 3, 2008, 6:13 PM
Interesting... I have an impulsive, explosive personality myself, but I'm no stereotype. Weltscmertzen indeed. Pain of the world. Now I just googled that, couldn't find much but vague indirect references... in English. I'm guessing since you gave a german title that it's an idea of some german philosofer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

proseros
Jan 3, 2008, 6:22 PM

No- some idea all the same. The point itself was exactly what your Googling intended. Yet I equally disagree with the following

"People who throw tantrums, threaten people with physical violence and psychological abuse, and flip out in a rage like this when someone simply disagrees with their false information/viewpoints are simply emotionally and intellectually immature people."

Never minding the source, "Soylent Green is people!"

"You're next! You're next!" And now what? There really are instances of emotional maturity trifling away quite a few of the most henious acts against humanity. It's all in who takes the pill I suppose:

"PEOPLE! You've got to be shitting me!"
OR
"Oh...Well isn't that interesting."

What would Carl say?

And yeah sometimes I'll slap the shit outta somebody-just to get them riled up!

Go figure...:tongue:

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 6:51 PM
No- some idea all the same. The point itself was exactly what your Googling intended. Yet I equally disagree with the following

"People who throw tantrums, threaten people with physical violence and psychological abuse, and flip out in a rage like this when someone simply disagrees with their false information/viewpoints are simply emotionally and intellectually immature people."

Never minding the source, "Soylent Green is people!"

"You're next! You're next!" And now what? There really are instances of emotional maturity trifling away quite a few of the most henious acts against humanity. It's all in who takes the pill I suppose:

OR

What would Carl say?

Go figure...:tongue:

I didn't understand much of that, but I don't agree with diamond's statements either:
"People who throw tantrums, threaten people with physical violence and psychological abuse, and flip out in a rage like this when someone simply disagrees with their false information/viewpoints are simply emotionally and intellectually immature people." ,

I have been dealing with my issues my whole life, and in my experience people who are generally content, generally just don't understand.

DiamondDog
Jan 3, 2008, 6:52 PM

If you do that to people, don't be surprised if you get the shit beaten out of you or get a knife or gun pulled on you.

DiamondDog
Jan 3, 2008, 6:55 PM
I have been dealing with my issues my whole life, and in my experience people who are generally content, generally just don't understand.

It's your life.

If you need help with your anger see a therapist/counselor or someone who specializes in dealing with anger management.

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 7:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

the wikipedia didn't come up in my search so i figured it wasn't in there. I guess I shouldn't rely on google like that.

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 7:10 PM
It's your life.

If you need help with your anger see a therapist/counselor or someone who specializes in dealing with anger management.

I had so many social workers trying to brainwash the rebel out of me when i was a kid, they actually paid me to go to anger management ...They piss me off! lol! My issues effect me and no one else. I try keep it that way. at the same time I don't waste my time with people that I know are going to piss me off. ...like social workers.

Skater Boy
Jan 3, 2008, 7:11 PM
OR

What would Carl say?

Are you referring to my comments in another thread relating to a certain Jungian theory? Or am I completely misinterpreting your (rather cryptic) post? :confused:

Uneedhands
Jan 3, 2008, 7:20 PM
If you do that to people, don't be surprised if you get the shit beaten out of you or get a knife or gun pulled on you.

my friends and i all used to horse around extremely. we would fight all the time for fun. I have lots f scars from my friends. and they wear mine. But that comes with the culture and i love it. We don't do that now ...much. Being in our 30's and up. But I' ve been in plenty a punch-up.

proseros
Jan 3, 2008, 7:40 PM
Are you referring to my comments in another thread relating to a certain Jungian theory? Or am I completely misinterpreting your (rather cryptic) post? :confused:

You are so lovable do you know that?

No I am not being condesending either. I genuinely find this little aroud-the-corner interaction, for lack of another name 'lovable' [I dunno I just get a very earthy and domestic feeling exchanging with you-wutever, at least you know it now.]

I know nothing of any earlier posts of yours refrencing Jung, but yes I was asking, suggesting with the comments- a Jungian juxtaposition in the matter.

But who takes the pill? Neo or the spoon?
Again I don't mean to be cryptic. Such moments are quite rare though. Besides, you can't say everything meant to be understood.

It was nice to hear the silence with you.
Thank you for the shine.

:three:

Skater Boy
Jan 3, 2008, 7:54 PM
It was nice to hear the silence with you.
Thank you for the shine.

Likewise.
And you're welcome.

ps: like the profile ad... your use of the English language reminds me much of works like Marlowe's "Doctor Faustus"... at least my translation of it. Must dig that one out again...

proseros
Jan 3, 2008, 8:09 PM
Likewise.
And you're welcome.

ps: like the profile ad... your use of the English language reminds me much of works like Marlowe's "Doctor Faustus"... at least my translation of it. Must dig that one out again...

Well I suppose only we could've been there to accomplish that ourselves.
Fie on farsical yarn lad! Play the stage beneath your naked feet!

{If you do not danse... you will surely fetch the cold.}

he will tell of a dream, and of a whisper's song that crosses the closed eyes of the heart and trembles like a child in the rain, with love.

the mage
Jan 4, 2008, 9:37 AM
There is a place for anger...there is even a place for rage.
There is a place for all things emotional in nature.

There is even a place for peace and laughter, however few people let them selves open up to it to strangers.

Reasoned anger is quite rational.
Frustration, fear, panic and attack can lead to rage as well as anger.

The outlet of anger takes many forms, it can be physical attack, it can be sarcasm it can be flattened tires it can be political protest. Its not always out of place or unneeded.
You who live far to comfortably do not know the rage of no home, no food no water.
Do you think the poverty stricken of the world do not rage at you ?

Veiled references aside, there is a consequence for your actions in life.
We evolved as a society by adopting recognized patterns of behavior to avoid foolish conflict. As adults there are things you do not do in the presence of others. Common sense applies as does social grace. When they are missing it shows the individual to be less desired as a companion to other reasonable people. The ability to move on is that of an adult. Little boys go on and on and on whining about past scraped elbows.

Uneedhands
Jan 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
There is a place for anger...there is even a place for rage.
There is a place for all things emotional in nature.

There is even a place for peace and laughter, however few people let them selves open up to it to strangers.

Reasoned anger is quite rational.
Frustration, fear, panic and attack can lead to rage as well as anger.

The outlet of anger takes many forms, it can be physical attack, it can be sarcasm it can be flattened tires it can be political protest. Its not always out of place or unneeded.
You who live far to comfortably do not know the rage of no home, no food no water.
Do you think the poverty stricken of the world do not rage at you ?

Thank you! I'm pretty heavy on the sarcasm and protest. I have been "poverty stricken", living on the streets, and I DIDn'T RAGE AT THOSE WHO wERE NOT ("poverty stricken"), it was any fuckers who would try push me down, or the cops, big business, Big Brother, ... society and all its failures complete with several species going extinct in my lifetime, acid rain; no one could shut up about it in the 80's, Where did it go? It did everything they said it would, it killed everything in the great lakes while most people sat on their hands. ...Most of the worlds religeons with people incessantly fighting and committing genocide over the unknown, and the very real possibility that someone is going to drop a bomb on my head ...Who earned my hatred. These things are probably enough to have made me an angry person if I wasn't one already.

I don't go around hitting people or vandalizing (anymore) or standing on street corners preaching (never did lol, some of those christians are psycho. I've watched little riots erupt around them).

I think.

"DESTROY TO CREATE!"

the mage
Jan 4, 2008, 12:07 PM
...Thank you! I'm pretty heavy on the sarcasm and protest. I have been "poverty stricken", living on the streets, and I DIDn'T RAGE AT THOSE WHO wERE NOT ("poverty stricken"), it was any fuckers who would try push me down, or the cops, big business, Big Brother, ... society and all its failures complete with several species going extinct in my lifetime, most of the worlds religeons with people incessantly fighting and committing genocide over the unknown, and the very real possibility that someone is going to drop a bomb on my head ...Who earned my hatred. These things are probably enough to have made me an angry person if I wasn't one already.

I don't go around hitting people or vandalizing (anymore) or standing on street corners preaching (never did lol, some of those christians are psycho. I've watched little riots erupt around them).

I think.

"DESTROY TO CREATE!"
Please dont take my words personally on that remark. I totally include myself in the" comfortable class" as all of us able to read these words are.

Uneedhands
Jan 4, 2008, 1:06 PM
Please dont take my words personally on that remark. I totally include myself in the" comfortable class" as all of us able to read these words are.

I'm not taking this personally, it's the internet and your entitled to speak your opinion. ...The whole idea of class is repugnant. Are you sure everyone who is able to read is "comfortable".

Bluebiyou
Jan 4, 2008, 4:35 PM
I think I'm gonna whack off and angrily squirt jiz all over my monitor on this thread!

Uneedhands
Jan 4, 2008, 5:45 PM
Go buddy! Lol will you scream bloody murder like a madman and punch yourself in the face while yer doing this?

DiamondDog
Jan 4, 2008, 6:38 PM
I think I'm gonna whack off and angrily squirt jiz all over my monitor on this thread!

Eat up all of that jizz after you're done fucking that fist!

Falke
Jan 5, 2008, 12:54 AM
Then there are those Psychos who just can't wipe that fucking smile off their face.

:bigrin:

the mage
Jan 5, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm not taking this personally, it's the internet and your entitled to speak your opinion. ...The whole idea of class is repugnant. Are you sure everyone who is able to read is "comfortable".

................sorry but class distinctions do exist, like it or not.

Being able to read is not the marker, its being able to sit in front of a computer to read THESE words that makes you among the comfortable.

DiamondDog
Jan 5, 2008, 1:24 PM

Being able to read is not the marker, its being able to sit in front of a computer to read THESE words that makes you among the comfortable.

LMAO you're a fool. :rolleyes:

What if the person is homeless and yet posts from an internet cafe or from a cellphone?

Or what if they can't afford food or other basic necessities for themselves yet they have a computer with a dial up connection and still post here?

Uneedhands
Jan 5, 2008, 1:42 PM
:bigrin:

Just in case you don't know ...That was a joke.

Uneedhands
Jan 5, 2008, 1:45 PM

You should be sorry, and I'm beginning to feel sorry for you. CLASS WAR!

Fresia
Apr 12, 2015, 7:28 PM
Bump it up!

tenni
Apr 12, 2015, 10:43 PM
I don't think that anger is a less valid emotion as we all seem to experience it. Even people who do not show their anger emotion, they still feel the emotion. I think that what you do as a result of your anger is valued more or less.