PDA

View Full Version : Aside from the bi gay straight blah blah stuff

Tingly_Tickles
Jan 3, 2008, 4:31 AM
I'm just somewhat tired of all the are you are you not who knows blah blah blah I'm
interested in things people either use their computer for or what kind of operating
system you have installed or anything to deal with computers really.

So since I started it I'll give in first.

I've got all my computer setup dual boot (more than one operating system those
that might not know) with windows and linux.

Specifically I use XP, Vista, and PCLinuxOS, and on occasion I like to dabble with
other linux distro's such as DreamLinux or my recent Linux Mint.

Yes I'm a geek a nerd a whatever you want to call me but I look at myself as an
ordinary person that just has an over compelling like for computer systems and
what's behind them.

I mainly sit around and edit pics, play games, listen to music, and browse forums
so I don't get bored from day to day.

So anyone else have a personal like for their system or need information on how
to use a certain feature your not sure about I'll be more than happy to answer your
question's.

but that's my name!!
Jan 4, 2008, 12:09 AM
Wow no replies, but everyone here obviously has a computer, don't they?

This computer changes wildly as it's the most powerful thing I have access to but that's all on a dedicated hard disk.
The main systems are K/Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP pro. For various reasons I ditched Vista. I also use VM Ware for when I need to use an alien program.

My laptop just has Kubuntu; it's the only operating system that can make all the hardware work properly.

My server runs ubuntu, I've used several systems including Windows Server 03 (and actually have a license) but it's a bit shit and I get fed up with things like giving a reason why I want to reboot etc. My opinion of Windows Server 03: it's windows xp pro with luna removed for stability and active directory, the rest is pointless and/or annoying crap. Windows has no place on an important or high performance computer and to put it on a server is an abomination.

My g/friend wanted just Linux on her machine but I couldn't get Civilization 4 to run properly so she has Windows XP pro.

I have 2 dumb terminals which run debian Linux.
my routers run Linux.

Most other systems here run Windows XP or OSX.

What don't I do with my computer? I don't have sex with it... there's a thought :D

pasco_lol_cpl
Jan 4, 2008, 1:11 AM
Interesting thread. As for me Im a windows user through and through. Its not necessarily by choice though. My laptop is my personal computer as well as the machine I use for my business. Since my business is dependant on a computer running AutoCAD the OS has to be MS. Ive got a desktop replacement lap top that allows me to have the power I need where ever I go. I also use the UMPC platform (Samsung Q1U) as part of my business and that has to be an MS machine as well. I run Vista on my laptop not because I want to, but because thats what came with it. Its not the anti christ like some make it out to be, but it sure as hell aint the best thing since sliced bread either. One thing I hate about Vista is a lack of 'power Toys' for it. The two power toys I miss the most are TweakUI and Image resizer. I depended so much on Image resizer. So now I have to take my pics, transfer them to the UMPC, resize them there, and then send em back. I havent found a better batch resizing program or batch file (yeah thats how old I am) yet. I would like to be able to afford to play with a linux disto or tool around with a Mac, but my time is limited as my money.

FerociousFeline
Jan 4, 2008, 2:49 AM
Well, I'll tell you abit about me and computers...

I actually have 4. They are my G3 beige Mac (running Mac Os 9.2.2, my g3 iBook (running 9.2.2 & Mac OS 10.2.8)
My Dragon (Home designed and built triple monitor web station (Dual boots, Windows Me and XP)
And my Dedicated Gaming Rig "The Monolith" which sports dual serial ata drives dual parallel drives in Raid format 256mb xl800xl ati card and amd 2800+. Both pc's run dual ram setups and I'm pushing the system bus (and therefore for the whole system with overclocked ram running at screamingly low cas latency speeds.

I have squeezed some serious horsepower out of what now would be considered low end cpu's by reducing transient response time throughout the whole system.

But all in all, nothing really fancy. (just trying to make what I could afford go as fast as it would go)
I'm trying to set up a lan which I can use for xbox/ps2 or pc lan parties.
I haven't gotten the bugs out of it yet, but I'm working on it, when I am not writing, reading, posting, attending mens groups, working on my home or doing community service.

Sure. I have a question for you. I cannot get my mac iBook to connect to the lan because the airport encryption schemes are antiquated. How can I fix that? (I figure I'm going to have to upgrade to panther or tiger) Any ideas anyone?

FF

brunette
Jan 4, 2008, 2:58 PM
I really didn't understand much of what was said before me in this thread.

However, I do have a iMac5 and I run Mac OSX. We got the one with the huge HD screen, so everything looks good on it. We use the computer for pictures, web surfing, email, music, watching movies and, more than anything else, playing World of Warcraft.

We're addicts.

I also have a 5 year-old Sony Vaio laptop that just got a new hard drive, but we don't use it for anything but to write on. This thing is kind of a dinosaur. It was a laptop before laptops came with wireless internet standard. I have to have a separate attachment for wireless.

We also have a PSP, a Nintendo DS, a Nintendo Wii, and an Xbox 360. And various games.

wanderingrichard
Jan 4, 2008, 8:33 PM
ppsssst.Bruni... my 1st and now oldest laptop is a 10 yro FOSA with a 233MHZ! proc and 128 MB ram!!.. what i use it for now is a linux gateway at my home.. it's not fast enough or powerful enough to actually run any "modern apps".. godesses forbid american computer users actualy ever revolt and stop buying into the entire planned obsolescence game that is the computing industry here..think a minute.. do we really need to buy new stuff every year , in some cases every 6 months?? what about software? how many of you have had a favorite program [ in my case star office] that you've refused to part with and ran it until you couldnt any more.. why get rid of what works right?? it gave you good R.O.I. ...same thing with that trusty laptop. when i bought it, it was the fastest bestest thing out there...i took it to africa, italy the middle east, europe, the scorching and freezing american mojave desert, pretty much any where they tell you NOT to take a 'puter. it worked great everywhere.. and i watched newer supposedly more powerful amd faster machines choke and die while mine just kept running and performing with both standard and open source gear, and with routine operator maintenance on software and hardware..

my home server stack/ desktop set ups are running mandriva, ubuntu, win2k pro and win xp pro..maybe i forgot one, not sure . unfortunately, the machine i have to take on the road with me is running windoze vista right now, and it's a love hate relationship from hell. soon as i can find a competent shop, i'm hanging this thing by it's dongles til dead and then putting something on it that will make full use of all the power it has.. all i seem to get from it's maker, [ Invent! yeah invent this shit head you lost your design edge years ago] the vendor [ i'll never buy another one from them, and their colors are yellow and blue] and the OS mfr is bloat ware and sub par customer service which seems to be a CSR sweat shop either in dehli or dhaka...

oh, and, i'm in the market for a used power book.. i wanna give a mac the bird and see how it runs ,,,rumor has it that linux on that platform is just a screamer for stability and performance....

also, as a traveling contractor, i have to bear in mind that the company i'm working with/for is at least one iteration of software behind the curve.. in this case, when i hired on they were running win2k pro, then did the massive upgrade to win xp pro...just in time to get slammed with the mid life span changes and upgrades [ if you want to call them that] and are now having such heavy issues with employees using current wave software from thier home systems to access online employee email and HR management tools that they instituted a total lockdown of thier entire systems , requiring eveyone to have an RSA security token to even be able to turn a machine on, but only bought enough to cover the employees who have a company owned or government furnished machine assigned to them.. guess who they hurt the most?? as of last week, because of this, they have lost over 2200 employees world wide from 5 different projects who simply said " i can't work here no more under these conditions" and quit..

so, ya see , after this rant, why i mostly avoid responding to subjects like this... but, hey, have fun all, i'm sure there are plenty of us geeks hiding within our community who may come out and play
Rich

mannysg
Jan 4, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm a geek also. I spend most of my time on computers at home and at work. When I come to this forum, it's to discuss issues other then computer things. But there is nothing worng with discssing them here. Being a geek or not a geek is anohter of many things that make each of us who we are. :)