PDA

View Full Version : Online study: need gifted/non-gifted over 18 (shortage of bi people)

Java_Professor
Dec 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hello. My name is Alena Treat. I am a Ph.D. candidate at Indiana University doing research on personality characteristics of sexually diverse (heterosexual and non-heterosexual) individuals and to gather information regarding their curriculum experiences in gifted and general education. I am recruiting individuals age 18 and over throughout the United States. I would like to ask you some questions related to your school experiences. I would only need about 15-35 minutes of your time. Would you be willing to participate in my study?

Please note that the survey will ask for your e-mail address, but will not give me or anyone else that information. This is used by the software program to ensure that people do not take the survey more than once and to enable participants, if they get disconnected, to return to the survey to complete it at a later time.

Continue to survey (links to http://www.surveyshare.com/survey/take/?sid=50269)

LusciousLounge
Dec 27, 2007, 4:25 PM
the INSANE irony... that I just graduated from Indiana University this past week (where the study is from)... and that I just found this site this past week! :tong:

PS - great study! I like the way it was set up.

:flag4:

pasco_lol_cpl
Dec 27, 2007, 5:23 PM
Well I just finished the survey and it made me realize how when I was in secondary / high school, the 80s were indeed the dinosaur days in regards to the perception and treatment of the LGBT community and the associated ideas and themes.

atrus
Dec 27, 2007, 6:55 PM
Will we receive a copy of the results of the survey? Or some kind of summary report?

LusciousLounge
Dec 28, 2007, 2:51 AM
Well I just finished the survey and it made me realize how when I was in secondary / high school, the 80s were indeed the dinosaur days in regards to the perception and treatment of the LGBT community and the associated ideas and themes.

I went to elementary school and middle school in the early/mid 90s... same here... I've not talked to any school kids about what they teach now, since I graduated high school in '03... I wonder if it's really that different and has moved forward any???

Not necessarily related to the education system, but could be:
My cousin's kid (age 14, went to 2 different Indiana middle schools in the same town) said MOST OF the girls at one of his schools were all "becoming bisexual" because it was the cool thing to do, then they would "flake out and date boys".... At his new school, he only knew one girl that was, and she was hated by the popular kids...... soooo... I'm not sure it could really be all that different in terms of how kids perceive homosexuality/bisexuality based on what they are exposed to/taught/opened up to... It seems like SUCH a school-to-school divide in how they approach things...

Java_Professor
Dec 31, 2007, 1:56 AM
Will we receive a copy of the results of the survey? Or some kind of summary report?

Anyone who writes to me and requests a copy of the results will receive the aggregate results. After the dissertation is completed, I will also be writing some articles with information from various components of the study. I plan on finishing the dissertation before May 2008.

Thanks to everyone who responded to the study! Also, thanks for the compliments.

I am trying to conduct a study that will have a positive impact and focus on characteristics of giftedness that are unique to each orientation within gender. I will not be lumping bi scores with those of gays and lesbians, but I will be comparing bi's with heterosexuals and with gays/lesbians. (Note: In my pilot study, I only had 3 bi males, but their scores were consistent with each other and showed some very interesting and very high scores in certain categories. Bi females were very high in other categories, but I could not separate the data of either due to lack of numbers. Also, drawing conclusions based on such low numbers was not defensible.) I hope this much larger study has similar data results, because if it does, it could really help to question current constructs of gender (what the field of education believes about gender). For the pilot study, there were 100 participants, all from one university. This study is much wider in scope and there are almost 600 participants thus far. I would like to have 1000.

In other words, I could still use more participants, as I only have 20 bi males thus far. I will be closing the study in mid-late January.

Alena Treat
artreat@indiana.edu

Java_Professor
Jul 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks to EVERYONE who participated in my online survey for my dissertation study. I did get enough bisexual participants to enable me to generalize, which in essence means that the numbers are sufficient to run a decent analysis.

Here is a brief synopsis of some of the results (NOTE: I have left out the exact differences, but I will tell you now that they are significant):

There are five dimensions of Overexcitability: Sensual, Imaginational, Intellectual, Psychomotor, and Emotional. (See Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration (http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/Mendaglio_DabrowskisTheoryOfPositiveDisintegration .pdf) and Sharon Lind's article on Overexcitablity (http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/Lind_OverexcitabilityAndTheGifted.shtml)) Please note that Overexcitable does not mean "overly excitable," but, instead, means a heightened sensitivity and awareness.

Bisexuals did VERY well in this assessment, significantly higher in most of the dimensions. When I submit my article, I will give the citation here in this forum and give more details.

THANK YOU THANK YOU all!

bisexualman
Jul 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
Wow. Sorry I missed the survey. Didn't get to this site till May 2008. I will be curious to see the results.