PDA

View Full Version : Is Dan Savage Anti Bisexual?

Promising Galahad
Dec 26, 2007, 7:15 PM
I use to really like him and even have a book of his but was talking to some gay friends who said they agree with him 100% on bisexuality. I didn;t know his position, so I asked. They said he thinks its a sham and that bi's are just confused and so on. Here we go again. These so called friends either don't think before they speak or just assume I'm laid back enough to let these slurs bounce off of me. I'm pissed because I thought I had flushed all my biphobic gay friends out of my life. Anyway, I feel before I react fully I need to know where Dan Savage stands. One friend said he use to be biphobic, but has changed and is not like that and has even appologized to the bi community. If so, I;d like to know.Anyone know for sure?

TaylorMade
Dec 26, 2007, 7:17 PM
the most recent I've read of Savage Love has him considering bisexuality as a subset of "straight", and that was about a year ago.

I sense Mr. Savage's biphobia (especially against the fellas) hasn't gone away totally, but I think he's putting it under wraps to keep readership.

*Taylor*

Skater Boy
Dec 26, 2007, 7:26 PM
Is that you in your avatar photo, Galahad? If so, you're better looking than I previously gave you credit for... :tongue:

TaylorMade
Dec 26, 2007, 7:29 PM
Is that you in your avatar photo, Galahad? If so, you're better looking than I previously gave you credit for... :tongue:

You ain't the only one wondering...

<looks over at SB, then at Promising. . .

I SAW HIM FIRST!!!!!!!

*Taylor*

Skater Boy
Dec 26, 2007, 7:31 PM
(Clear your messages, SB. :p)

Sorry Taylor... I hadn't emptied my inbox for a while, but its cleaned up now. :)

TaylorMade
Dec 26, 2007, 7:32 PM
Sorry Taylor... I hadn't emptied my inbox for a while, but its cleaned up now. :)

Sweet... so we gonna fight over Promising Galahad or what? :tongue:

*Taylor*

Promising Galahad
Dec 26, 2007, 7:59 PM
I'm blushing. Really!

nyabn_webmaster
Dec 26, 2007, 8:10 PM
yes he (along with a few other well know gay pundits like Andrew Sullivan & Chris Crain see the fusss those two have just made in this article: Controversial poll shows wide prevalence of bisexuality (http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4808)) is biphobic.

And I've never heard of any apology from him.

shameless agitator
Dec 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
What I've read from Savage is that he once considered bis to be gays who were only half out of the closet & therefore considered us cowards & to a certain extent, traitors because we would just pass for straight when things got difficult. He has since renounced that position & apologized for it. He does still maintain that bis are generally more straight than gay (his contention is that we generally form significant relationships with the opposite sex & keep things more casual with the same sex) and that we don't have as much of a vested interest in gay rights as gay people do. While I don't know how accurate his assessment of orientation is, I think he does have a couple of legitimate points. Bis can and frequently do "pass" rather than stand up and be counted. This is due at least in part to the fact that we really do have less of a vested interest in equality and some of are cowards.

BiphobiaFighter
Dec 27, 2007, 1:23 AM
I remember reading that he wrote we should be happy that he no longer thinks that bisexuality doesn't exist and instead thinks that most of us will leave same-sex relationships for opposite-sex relationships. He provided some statistics for that but I don't remember them or his source. Sorry about that.

Promising Galahad
Nov 17, 2010, 6:44 PM
Is he still? I knew he use to be but I thought (or hoped) that he came around and changed his views. Has he said anything recently that would be in question RE: bisexuals?

IanBorthwick
Nov 17, 2010, 8:02 PM
Wel the short version is he is TRYING to be PC and failing. You can tell by the way he acts and what he says, but don't believe me...take a peak at this

http://bisocialnetwork.com/dan-savage-its-gets-better-the-mel-gibson-of-bisexuality/

Ohm and if you scroll down you'll see S&GShow trying to Troll them too. It won't last as I warned Adrienne about him. LOL

BiPhone
Jan 27, 2011, 2:10 PM
He does think bisexuality exists. He has said so. Look up dan savage bisexuality on youtube. He does have some points. I don't think he is biphobic and not trying to be politically correct. He has his views. we have ours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2sIf_sVYuc

Also his podcast number 206 is ALL ABOUT bisexuality and allthough he is rather cruel sometimes thats what i love about him.

But if you listen to the bi-guy in podcast number 221 I was shocked afterwards about the bi guys view on bisexuality. you have to listen to it to belive it!

Sorry for the spelling. Not english and very very tired

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 27, 2011, 2:35 PM
lol Hon, Dan Savage is a Professional Asshole. Thats his persona. He is hated by Everybody for his sardonic views on Everything from A to Z, and its just as bad as Howard Stren, or other Media presonalities who have Shock Radio. Its his job and unfortunately, he plays a good asshole. If you dont like him why listen to him? :}
Cat

BiPhone
Jan 27, 2011, 4:04 PM
Well he has not as far as i could read from your links said that bi's do not exist. One of the bloggers said that Savage had said bi's do not exist but again I could not find him saying it. If i overlooked something I am sorry. he has said that for many it is a phase (and for many it is) to being gay. And many bi's (myself included) end up in opposite sex relationships. Again not ALL bisexuals end that way. But what Savage doesnt seem to know is that many men who say they are gay are actually bi but dont have the balls to say it. I know many gays Ive slept with admitting thay are not as gay as "they would wish to be"

Well, I seldom read his posts at the stranger.com but the one you sent me about the gay man who had a thing with a bi guy who wouldnt leave his wife I happen to agree with him on. But of course I do not agree that all bi guys are not to be in a serious relationship with gay men.

And from what I could read from his feedback post he was showing off and I wouldnt take it too seriously. I understand people would get offended, but he is an asshole and proud of it.

I tend to listen to savage love and all the podcasts Ive heard he has not been to bad. I agree with him that for many bi men, a bisexual girlfriend would be perfect. Not to say that gays should stay the hell away from us. I know couples where he is bi and the boyfriend is gay and as long as they have trust and are not married or otherwise it shouldn't matter

Sorry for ranting. I am not defending him. Im just saying he is who he is.

void()
Jan 27, 2011, 4:44 PM
Who? Huh? Wha?

Long Duck Dong
Jan 27, 2011, 10:45 PM
I G N O R E H I M .... its what other people do...

thats why people generally do not post about him.... cos they are not going him the added attention you are and cos they know he is full of shit......

you remind me as the sort of person that will stand on a street corner bashing street preachers cos you do not like what they say.... while most other people just carry on walking by.....

most people are intelligent enuf to know the best way not to give dan more attention, is to NOT draw attention to what he is saying, cos the more attention he gets, the less likely he is to STFU.....

I am not sure if it registared in your head that some people in the site may end up siding with dan.. and giving him their support... but something tells me that you would like that, as it gives you a reason to not STFU about dan........

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
My question is this: Why is someone in another state listening to a radio/talk/station located in Downtown Seattle, in another state??
Cat

void()
Jan 28, 2011, 2:51 PM
I'm just still trying to figure out what this silly box means. It reads "open other end". I'm really bothered by it as endings are difficult to locate. After all when something ends, something else begins. So do we say then no endings exist? Or there was never a beginning?

Meanwhile, I still hunger for a thousand year old egg and meeting Leonardo da Vinci while conversing with a toaster. *sigh* One of these days, especially one when there is no more fear of Foons. We know you're out there. we will dominate globally, The Spork Liberation Front!