PDA

View Full Version : More Political Stuff--FCC "Cross Ownership Rules"

12voltman59
Dec 15, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well all—this is gonna be one mega ramble---I have to tell ya that from the git-go—but I’m gonna post it anyhow---I hope for those who read—that you find the post of interest and even if you don’t agree totally with what I say here—you at least read it with an open mind---

This issue I am discussing here is that of the proposal by the FCC to loosen the rules regarding “cross ownership of media” especially relating to ownership of television and radio stations.

The following link from the LA Times is a good place to start-I also have a list of stories added to the end of this article:

www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fcc14dec14,1,7976868.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

In this instance –this posting deals with the actions of Kevin J. Martin—current chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.

Martin replaced Colin Powell's son Michael as chairman a year or so ago and as bad as Powell had been—Powell had resigned under much fire from many quarters for a number of reasons---it seems that Martin is even worse.

Several years ago--the FCC under Powell's direction, had tried to greatly relax the cross-ownership rules regarding whether media companies could own all forms of media in a town or city, but due to overwhelming public opposition to that plan—the commission had to drop those plans.

Martin resurrected the plan in the past few months and "fast-tracked it"--he now wants his agency to move on the matter before Christmas--attempts have been made in Congress to stop his actions

At the few, hastily arranged public hearing meetings--the sentiment of the public's views against his proposal trumped that of those in favor.

If you do read through most of the stories I have included below—you will see--the big media companies all want this plan or a less restrictive plan to go through--one thing that is interesting--I did not see much media coverage about the few public hearings that were held---I saw a portion of one on CSPAN not long ago--and even though it is hard to tell from the way the cameras were set up how many attended the event---I saw person after person get up to speak on the issue and all who spoke were not in favor of this proposal. I had seen some item on the net a month or so ago about the large volume of mail the FCC had received on this subject both electronic and paper--and that the vast majority of those messages were against the proposal---

It does seem the people are trying to speak--but a deaf ear has been turned to those voices and the only voices that Chairman Martin seems to hear are those of the media conglomerates and those inside his head--he is surely not listening to "vox populi."

I had originally planned to post this in the military thread earlier today—but had decided against it---but after watching this evening’s edition of Bill Moyers Journal—which had a segment on this issue—I decided to post it—in its own thread.

The program discussed those public forums about the issue, including the final one—which they included video of over a thousand people addressing the commission until one a.m. held in Seattle last month—within a few days—an op-ed piece, written by Chairman Martin, appeared in the New York Times in which he laid out the case about why changing the rules on this issue are so “vital” with no mention at all about public opposition to the proposed rule change.

Since the publication of the piece---Martin appeared before a Senate Committee and was questioned by the Senate panel on why he feels this rule change is needed, why it needs to be done so fast and if the fact that such public concern was raised on the issue—could the commission not hold off on their vote, especially considering the Senate is set to vote on a bill after the new year on this matter. It was also noted by one of the Senators that op-ed pieces like the one done by Martin was most likely submitted well in advance of the public hearing in Seattle.

The Senators also asked him if had taken any of the negative reactions of the public into consideration—he basically shrugged off those questions.

It was also discussed that he had first announced his goal of changing the rules back in June 2006 with the proposed rules having been basically unchanged in all that time.

The Senate committee, on a unanimous and bipartisan basis, voted to oppose the rule change and under questioning by the Senators including Alaska Senator Ted Stevens—(a very conservative Republican) and John Kerry asked Martin point blank for the commission to at least hold off on their action until after the beginning of the new year.

Martin basically told them, “No” and after been asked by the Senate to hold off---issued a press release the next day saying the commission’s vote on the matter will take place on Tuesday, December 18.

No doubt the rule change will pass---because all three Republican members of the commission, including Martin, have already said they are going to vote for the change.

You may ask what does this have to do with anything??

Well—we have already seen the massive consolidation of media ownership in America and I think a pretty good argument can me made that this consolidation has not been good for our nation in terms of the way the media does its job as watchdog over the actions of government and with the rise of large corporations that have perhaps even more impact on our lives than government itself--- reportage of how those entities conduct themselves as well.

These new rules will basically free the large media organizations the ability to buy up and control even more of our media outlets. It stresses the desirability of large media outlets buying up those third and fourth tier radio stations.

The large conglomerate media outlets like Clear Channel have already taken control of most of the largest stations in many media markets all over the country.

Those lower tier stations are the ones still most likely still under local ownership, control and management. They are the ones most likely still bringing local news and information and also program their formats to be tailored to the local markets instead of being remotely programmed from far distant locations and piping content and such to the local stations.

To watch the Bill Moyers segment on this issue, go to

www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/12142007/profile2.html

other sources and articles:

www.freepress.net/news/28429

www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.asp?hid=140375&pt=todaysnews

www.tvweek.com/news/2007/11/opposition_could_derail_martin.php

www.freedomsphoenix.com/Feature-Article.htm?InfoNo=027856

www.lasarletter.net/drupal/node/509

www.reclaimthemedia.org/legislation_and_regulation/martin_races_ahead_with_plan_t%3D5608

Not2str8
Dec 15, 2007, 2:48 AM
This is an issue near and dear to my heart. And unlike many issues that don't have a direct affect on us as individuals, this one touches every American. The media has been steadily abdicating it's role as the public watchdog for many years now, and it's largely because the "news" divisions of the major networks are expected to turn a profit, like all the other commercial divisions of the company. The way that networks maximized profits is by lowering their costs. That means slashing the budget. It means closing reporting bureaus in countries all around the world, and laying off reporters. It means less investigative reporting because that is traditionally the most expensive kind of reporting. It means telling you about Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears rather than telling you how our government cheated us, or lied to us today.
Add to this the fact that the Bush Republicans have gutted all the agencies that were created to watch out for the public interest, and staffed them with industry executives loyal to the corporations they are supposed to regulate. They have successfully duplicated this process in nearly every major government agency: the EPA, the FTC, the FCC, the DOT, FEMA, the list is staggeringly long.
Never has a U.S. administration been so hostile to "We the People" as has this one. Nearly every act they commit demonstrates their utter contempt for us. I'm not foolish or naive enough to believe that the Democrats are going to come riding to our rescue and undo all that has been done over the last 7 years. But I do believe that with enough public pressure on our elected officials, we can at least make them staff the agencies designed to protect us, with people who will actually work for us, not against us.
We must tell our elected officials that having all the news outlets in a region owned and controlled by one corporation is not good for democracy. America has always worked best when there was a diverse "marketplace of ideas" out there, not when all the news outlets are singing from the same hymnal.
We will probably lose this round, as Kevin Martin decided long ago that he wanted to usher in media consolidation, regardless of the public's opposition to it.
The so-called "hearings" are simply for show. We will have to try to undo it once we throw more Republicans into unemployment next Fall.
And when it becomes clear that some Corporate Democrats are doing the same things, then throw those bastards out too. We will only get as good a government as we are willing to demand.
OK, I'm going to stop now before this starts resembling a manifesto. lol

12voltman59
Dec 15, 2007, 3:20 AM
I should have added--normall-when cases like this to make such a major rule change---the FCC has a full 90 day public comment period-according to one of the articles I posted---the FCC in this case only allowed for a grand total of 19 days for such public comment--and the bill that the Senate has on the dock---would require the FCC to hold off voting on this issue for a full 90 day review and comment period----something even Alaska US Senator Ted Stevens asked for some forebearance on to allow the Senate to vote on the measure to allow the 90 day review period to take affect--that vote may get defeated in the Senate--but at least the Senate would have the chance for that to take place and the FCC could then proceed at that point--you have to wonder what is the rush on this??!!!

But--I have gone to the FCC web site where they have posted the agenda items for the Tuesday open meeting of the commission----this item is on the agenda for a vote!!!

If they approve this measure on Tuesday---it becomes in effect the second the vote is approved ---so you could see announcements of radio, newspaper and television station sales within days if not hours of the vote---with the fix in on this---I bet there are many deals already in the works for just such sales to take place.

Thinking about the final words of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in which he said: "and that government of the people..by the people...for the people... shall not perish from this earth" --it seems that we need to change it to read "government of the News Corps...by the GEs...for the Clear Channels.."
is now in order---this government seems to have lost any vestage of being "for, by and of the people"

Its all about corporate largesse, power and greed....

An Addedum to this post: Mitt Romney's Venture Capital firm--is buyiing radio giant Clear Channel Communications--the report concludes stating that while Romney is no longer chariman of the company he stated--he is still a silent partner--and it is from his income that he is largely financing his presidential campaign; Here is a link to a story on this: http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20071213_romneys_firm_to_buy_clear_channel/

vittoria
Dec 15, 2007, 11:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

WE'RE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCREWED

I guess it will have to wait until people are "black bagged" and told to tell on their fellow man before anyone will begin to give a shit. And when that happens, it will be too late. Similar to how that one company in the movie "Soylent Green" kept from the people the fact that humans had destoyed their planet for so long that even the inital alleged "plankton" they had used had run out AEONS ago... and they were using people.

Books with intelligent thought will be outlawed. (BET)

Anything with any religious intent will be banned in favor of this suddenly VOGUE idea that God doesnt exist (Christopher Hitchens and the Golden Compass anyone?).

I see some Gattaca in our future. Hell, the V for Vendetta is occuring before our very eyes and no one wants to do a thing to stop it.

(STILL waiting for those two movies to be Premiered on Television...HA!)

Like I said...
We're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO screwed.

V

Herbwoman39
Dec 16, 2007, 1:17 AM
This is where New Media and podcasting comes in. We're not screwed, we are EMPOWERED. If you don't like the way the news is reported or feel that it is biased, find an independent news source. Hell, go out and CREATE your OWN independent news source. But don't just sit there and complain about it. It's easy to complain. It's much harder to actually DO something about it.

If you don't like the way things are, CHANGE it.

Personally I don't trust the media and haven't for years. I don't watch the news or read the papers. I get my news from Neal Boortz and, when I can stomach him for more than 10 minutes, Michael Savage. Occasionally I'll listen to Sean Hannity but even he has his biases. Everyone does.

My point boils down to this: Make a change. Find a way to be a voice in this world. You are NOT helpless so stop acting like it and DO something.

PS: This is a general "you" and not targeted at anyone specific. This is my strongly voiced opinion and your mileage may vary.

vittoria
Dec 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
Here's some "empowering" news outlets for you... (HA!)

(geez people are touchy feely these days)

http://www.onegoodmove.org

http://www.crooksandliars.com

Enjoy them as much as I DO!

:tong:

Azrael
Dec 16, 2007, 1:44 PM
I prefer National Public Radio.
There's non corporate media struggling for a foothold all over the place. Get out and support them!
www.wmnf.org
www.wusf.org

12voltman59
Dec 16, 2007, 1:56 PM
Herbwoman--the point of this rant is that I, along with others, took the steps you are supposed to do according to the "rules" to express our views about this issue.

In my case-I sent emails and a hard copy letter to the FCC, sent emails to my Congressman and both US Senators--

I did not attend one of the public hearings--I would have if one had been close enough to be feasible to do so---but those who went to them as seen in the Bill Moyers video piece, certainly expressed their opinons quite clearly and vociferiously.

Finally--members of the United States Senate expressed their concerns to FCC Chairman Martin and for all of that--the arrogant bastard basically told everyone--"I don't give a shit what ya'all think--I am going to to what I want on this and fuck the rest of ya!!!""

I have been trying to fight this in the rather limited way that I did--- I did not spend too much time on this--writing a few letters is no big deal in terms of time spent---but my actions were enough to say that I was not apathetic and just sitting on my couch yelling at the television.

But with the arrogance of this guy in charge of the FCC---what was the point of what I did do???? He is going to do what he wants--sorta like the man he works for-our president.

To me--this issue is simply emblematic of the way the Bush administration has done everything--"it's our way or no way"--and their way is to sell out policy and how they govern to the highest bidder irrespective of how those policies and actions affect the public good!!!!!

I feel like the Peter Finch character in the great film, "Network" who in frustration and desperation yelled: "I am mad as hell and I am not taking this anymore!"

softfruit
Dec 16, 2007, 2:19 PM
Could we please have threads like this, which are very specific to one country, have (country) in their thread title? Thus: (USA) More Political Stuff--FCC "Cross Ownership Rules"

Thankyou! :)

the mage
Dec 16, 2007, 2:56 PM
This type of wholesale sell out to corporations is a sign of the true intent of your "leaders" and ours too.
Government acts to benefit capitalism, the true power is in the boardroom not oval office.

12voltman59
Dec 16, 2007, 3:37 PM
Could we please have threads like this, which are very specific to one country, have (country) in their thread title? Thus: (USA) More Political Stuff--FCC "Cross Ownership Rules"

Thankyou! :)

Sure----no problem---but while this issue is specific to the US--this sort of thing is going on not just in the US, but the UK, The EU, Australia and many other places to some degree---

In the future, I will include the country in the headline if it is specific to the US--sorry----

vittoria
Dec 16, 2007, 6:25 PM
Herbwoman--the point of this rant is that I, along with others, took the steps you are supposed to do according to the "rules" to express our views about this issue.

In my case-I sent emails and a hard copy letter to the FCC, sent emails to my Congressman and both US Senators--

I did not attend one of the public hearings--I would have if one had been close enough to be feasible to do so---but those who went to them as seen in the Bill Moyers video piece, certainly expressed their opinons quite clearly and vociferiously.

Finally--members of the United States Senate expressed their concerns to FCC Chairman Martin and for all of that--the arrogant bastard basically told everyone--"I don't give a shit what ya'all think--I am going to to what I want on this and fuck the rest of ya!!!""

I have been trying to fight this in the rather limited way that I did--- I did not spend too much time on this--writing a few letters is no big deal in terms of time spent---but my actions were enough to say that I was not apathetic and just sitting on my couch yelling at the television.

But with the arrogance of this guy in charge of the FCC---what was the point of what I did do???? He is going to do what he wants--sorta like the man he works for-our president.

To me--this issue is simply emblematic of the way the Bush administration has done everything--"it's our way or no way"--and their way is to sell out policy and how they govern to the highest bidder irrespective of how those policies and actions affect the public good!!!!!

I feel like the Peter Finch character in the great film, "Network" who in frustration and desperation yelled: "I am mad as hell and I am not taking this anymore!"

I concur.:cool:

vittoria
Dec 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
And for anyone who cares... I copied a post that I typed on another thread...

I dont know what to tell any of you.

Personally, I plan to run for the hills (if not for GPS, night vision, heat technology, and all of that jazz)

There's some 1984/V for Vendetta sh*t going on... and I really dont know if the "hardcore political" or the (alleged) uber patriotic either know or care.

There are LIVES at stake, whether it be the soldiers from this country who believe they are fighting for our fights (or fighting because the government says so) or the 'run of the mill civilian' walking down the street.

There's more stuff going on than "a war on terror", and thats a fact. It seems to me (whether erroneous or not) that our rights are eroding in the name of Liberty right before our very eyes... and once we realize what is going on... we will be killed for it.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1955

And oh...about concentration camps in the US... (yes they have been here before... I wasnt around for it, but those of Asiatic descent had to suffer royal for what they LOOKED like in the 1940's...)

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/concentration.html

This is our business as the public to question our surroundings. Take away that right, the right to protest, the right to believe what we want to, and we are screwed.

The word "force" can take on many connotations. If someone belongs to a religion, has the freedom to express it, goes out door to door preaching as is their right... can that be taken to mean that those people are "forcing" others to change their beliefs? Yes.

If we dont agree with the state of affairs that is going on in this place, as we have a RIGHT to, and demonstrate within the limits of the law (heh), can that be construed as "force"? Yup.

Ask a couple of people who have already been imprisoned for peaceful protest. If they yell and scream, more power. Is that an excuse to USE FORCE by means of tazing and wrestling people to the ground who arent even lifting a finger....only their VOICES?

Just have a differing point of view and you see how easily we are labeled as "unpatriotic" and words of "how DARE you" come flying across the room.

Yes, our liberties are being taken away. And yes, Freedom ISNT free.

By the way... Those "NewJack Concentration Camps" that Halli and Co. are building cost $400 million dollars... once they are used for their 'original' intent, who are they going to use them on?? Its not like they arent going to try to get their $400 million dollars worth....

Now, pardon me while I figure out whether or not I prefer gas chamber or firing squad ( or even a good ol'fashioned lynchin)---

still havent decided....

Herbwoman39
Dec 16, 2007, 11:49 PM
Volty --- My point was that when standard channels don't work, look outside the box. We all know this country is going to hell in a handbasket. A change in political power (ie voting in the Dems) didn't do any good. So it's up to US as individuals to make the changes we feel need to be made by working outside the status quo.

New Media is one major way of doing that.

I'm just tired of hearing about how screwed we are while no concrete solutions are being offered.

12voltman59
Dec 17, 2007, 10:34 AM
Volty --- My point was that when standard channels don't work, look outside the box. We all know this country is going to hell in a handbasket. A change in political power (ie voting in the Dems) didn't do any good. So it's up to US as individuals to make the changes we feel need to be made by working outside the status quo.

New Media is one major way of doing that.

I'm just tired of hearing about how screwed we are while no concrete solutions are being offered.

I agree with ya on that score Herb---it does seem the system if not totally broken--is damn close I am afraid.

Fortunately we can still talk like this and not have big guys in dark, cheap suits pull up to your house in the middle of the night, pull ya out and you are never seen again!!!!

I do have to wonder though--if we "go by the book"--try to go through the channels and still cannot get things to change--ya do have to wonder what the alternative is??

12voltman59
Dec 20, 2007, 1:00 PM
Just an update for anyone who is interested--the FCC did hold the vote and they did approve it by a vote of 3-2 with all three Republican members voting for it and the two Democratic members voting no.

The Senate did reiterate their oppostion to the vote on a bipartisan basis and they vowed to vote to overturn the action almost immediately upon their return in early January--the last time the FCC had tried to relax this rule-the Congress --on a bipartisan basis-- had overturned the action at that time--hopefully if they do vote to overturn the action this time--they have enough votes to override the veto Bush already said he would do.

Something else--I listened to an interview with one of the Democratic members of the commission on Wednesday say that in addition to the approval--when they met on Tuesday and held the vote--the commissioner had included waivers for 46 companies not in the top 20 markets that will allow them the ability to take over ownership of radio and television stations and newspapers ---this rule was only supposed to allow such cross ownership in the top 20 media markets only---so--they immediately changed the rules to allow this to happen in many other places--exactly the sort of thing those against the rule said would happen--

Martin had not announced that he was going to include the waivers in the vote prior to the vote taking place.

The brazenness of the Bush crowd is something else---it just goes to show--our 'democracy' really is up for sale to the highest bidder.

Something else I found interesting--

Even CEOs of big companies think they are paid too much:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071219/od_nm/survey_dc

the mage
Dec 23, 2007, 3:55 PM
More on this item from another source.. if you're interested..

http://www.mediachannel.org/wordpress/2007/12/19/dissenting-statement-of-michael-copps-on-fcc-media-cross-ownership-ruling/

the mage
Dec 23, 2007, 3:57 PM
direct interference is the result...

http://www.mediachannel.org/wordpress/2007/12/20/ny-times-changes-cia-headline-for-wh/