PDA

View Full Version : Maybe you can help...

savbaby
Dec 5, 2007, 10:56 PM
I have to apologize up front for this post being as long as it is. It may be choppy, jump back and forth, and make no sense at all, but that's been my life for the past week.

I'm a gay man in a relationship(?) with a bisexual guy. We've been friends for almost 10 years now. I've always been there to catch him when he falls and to support him and give him the courage and excitement to go after his dreams and make them happen. After a couple of failed marriages (bad, bad relationships), he wanted to try a romantic relationship with a guy. I am the only guy he feels comfortable having sex with. He pursued me, poured on the charm and the sweetness and won me over faster than my better judgment should have allowed. Within two months, we were moved in together, again, against my better judgment, and happily pursuing our future. 8 months into it, and almost at the end of it, I need some advice!

In the beginning, he and I talked over the phone a helluva lot, and I knew he was bisexual long before we ever got involved. We knew what a relationship was supposed to be about. Mature adults who talk instead of argue. Our relationship began shortly after me telling him I was open to his fantasy of having both a guy and a girl at the same time. I took the time to understand bisexuality, and I always knew that one day I would have to deal with the feelings that come up between us when the hetero part of him needed to be satisfied. I do understand it. And we talked about it. It went from the idea of us doing something like this as a couple to being more and more about wanting to go off and do it alone. Something about a stigma that most women around here have about have sex with a gay and a bi guy....

My only hangup was that he and I build our emotional relationship to a point where I would be comfortable with him going to do that. I don't want him to deny who he is, just like I wouldn't deny that being completely gay is who I am. And I won't lie -- I wouldn't be comfortable with a completely open relationship. I mean, I don't know how I could handle this being an every weekend thing. Once every couple of months is a lot easier to handle for me.

Last weekend, after a year and two months of going without sex with a woman, I got up the nerve and we agreed that he could explore the hetero side for the first time during our relationship. The sex itself is not what got to me at all. The part leading up to it did. The charm, the sweet talk, etc., etc... Maybe it is indeed jealousy, but what gets me is he doesn't "get that tone in his voice" when he talks to me.

After it's over and he comes home, we talk for a little while about it, and over the next couple of days, he thinks he's realized that he is about 85% straight and 15% gay, and wants to throw anything dealing with an emotional relationship between the two of us away.

He wants us to remain life partners and be in an open "sex-only" relationship -- still live with me, still raise his children with him, still sleep in the same bed, still have sex, but none of the romantic stuff we've been doing for 8 months. Damnit, I love kissing! He wants to actively pursue being flirtatious and having sex with women. As much as it hurts, as I have grown very attached, I am trying to find the solution that will make us both happy. I want the affection and emotion in non-sexual ways, but the only time we connect emotionally is during sex. It doesn't carry over to the next day. We love each other very much and have for a long time. It's just not a romantic love for him. I could say "well, not romantic anymore" and that would be easier for even me to understand, but I don't think this whole time he's allowed himself to get attached. But he wants to. I don't pass judgment or blame him, he's just trying to figure this out. He thinks we can work it out in a way that both of us will be happy and we will both get what it is that we want. We've talked about the idea of having our relationship, and one steady female that he could pick to take care of the other side. I can deal with that much better with a romantic connection. He wants to give me that, but he doesn't know how. In the meantime, we don't have a real conclusion as to how it will work, and it's left me with more questions than I can answer.

I love having him around, but I'm unsure if it will confuse me more, or if I need to let him go, have more of a casual relationship, have him get his own place, step back and date, or just hold on a little longer to see what happens? He's been so confused about himself all this time, gone back and forth and back and forth about what he wants, could it be possible that he is confused about what he really wants now? It really really has gone back and forth and back and forth. As his bestest, bestest friend, and now boyfriend, how do I help him help himself and remain in a relationship that may or may not be the love of our lives?

DiamondDog
Dec 5, 2007, 11:09 PM
Like it or not you have an open relationship now.

You can either keep it open, close it, or find another partner.

He said that he doesn't want an emotional/romantic relationship with you and if I were in a relationship with someone, anyone, especially someone who said that they wanted to be a life partner and then they said that to me or that they wanted our relationship to become this way (sex only and no romance/affection, not even kissing! even though we live and have a relationship together) after it once was emotional/romantic, and it's no longer going to be emotional/romantic at all, I'd end our relationship right then and there.

If I'm in that deep of a relationship and a commitment with someone I need an emotional connection/affection/romance, kissing, and lots of kissing too! I wouldn't want to just be in a sex only relationship with someone and live with them and pretend that we had a real close emotional bond relationship when it's clear that we don't and we're just going through the motions and he's really having affection/romance with other people and I'm his piece on the side for sex only, yet we live together, share life together as partners, and want to raise kids/a family together.

I'd break up and I wouldn't have contact for a long time with them, and I wouldn't even continue to date or have sex with them, or take them back on the rebound. But I'd explain to them just why I was doing this. I wouldn't just go off and do it out of nowhere.

This isn't really something you can help him with and you can't force him to change and it's all up to him.

:2cents:

savbaby
Dec 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
I did end our relationship. I told him if at this point, he's not feeling it, then there's no need for us to go any further. He broke down and cried that he didn't want to lose me. That he thinks it will take time to balance it all, but our home, our family is what he really wants. I want it too... It's so hard to walk away from that. Especially now that there's a strong bond between me and the kids.... He just can not live with a woman. Romantically or otherwise. I don't want to change him. I want to help him be happy. I guess the question should be is his happiness worth more than mine? Stupid question, I know.

Not2str8
Dec 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
Wow Sav, you're in a spot, but you knew that. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, will you be happy and fulfilled in the relationship, if you stay together under his terms? He has announced that he wants to withdraw all of the things from your relationship that you have every right to want. I can't see anyone being happy, living under those terms and it's not right of him to ask you to do so. I'm sure he knows how you feel. Perhaps the best thing to do is to back away and let things play out. It sounds like he really doesn't know what he wants at this point, and that leaves you in a miserable situation. Do what's best for you, Sav. I wish you luck.

shameless agitator
Dec 6, 2007, 1:32 AM
I gotta go with Diamond Dog on this one. Dump the puke & if he ever starts making noises about trying it again, I would think loooong and hard about it first.

The Barefoot Contess
Dec 6, 2007, 6:12 AM
Looks to me that he is really confused, but that is not an excuse to play with your feelings, which he is doing even if he does not realize it. Sometimes the hardest thing in a relationship (romantic or otherwise, but especially romantic) is realizing that no matter how much you love someone, the relationship might not be the right thing for you. If you are going to pursue a relationship with him it will have to be based on some sort of agreement that satisfies you both. If a relationship is based on the desires of only one person, chances are it will not progress in a healthy manner, and will destroy the other person emotionally. You need to figure out what it is that you want and makes you happy, and express it openly. Don't give in because you might think he needs you, or you believe that if you don't have him you have nothing. Maybe some time away from away from each other would help you both figure things out. Just my opinion.

brunette
Dec 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
i want to tell you my (bisexual) side of a similar story. i had a relationship with a woman before i met my husband. for one reason or another, the relationship didn't work out, and we parted amicably.

then i met my husband, and he was very understanding about my bisexuality. we had long talks about needs and responsibilities etc, and we both figured that someday i would be attracted to a woman and want to have sex with her. he was okay with this with certain stipulations, and so we got married.

the girl i met was great. we went to school together, had a lot in common and she knew my husband and we all got along great as friends. so the first time she and i had sex, it had been close to 3 years since i had had sex with a woman, and i wanted it all the time. i even neglected my responsibilities to my family to spend more time with my "girlfriend." i began to consider myself more in the realm of homo rather than hetero (sound familiar?). i even considered leaving my husband, or staying with him in a purely sexual relationship and to raise our child together.

as you can guess, this didn't bode well for my marriage. a few weeks into the relationship, the girl i was with got flaky. it turns out she was in love with someone else, and since she and i didn't have great communication, i found that out through the grapevine. luckily, my husband is a very forgiving and understanding person who knows what it's like when you get into a new and different relationship.

but the important thing to note is that all of this occurred in a matter of a few days. call it immaturity or lust or whatever, i was willing to bet the love of my life and the rest of my happiness on a very emotional fling. the emotions involved do not justify my actions, and i'm not saying that your boyfriend's actions are easily forgivable. i guess what i'm trying to say is that his judgement is very clouded at the moment. hopefully, he can come to his senses and realize that what he's got is a lot better than what's out there.

but if not, then leave him. you really should be happy and no ones happiness should come at the expense of another's.

savbaby
Dec 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
Diamond Dog, didn't catch the edit until this morning. You're right.... me, the "partner," being made to feel like the "other woman." LOL. That's not something I can easily stomach either. All the talk about the relationship from the beginning was based on a committed relationship with "fun" that we have on the side. I don't want to be that "fun" on the side. I mean I can, or I could, hell, I used to be, but once the dynamic in the relationship changed and you get involved, how to you go back to being close friends? Definately not in 3 days.

Not2Str8, that's the biggest question I've been asking myself... Can I do it under these terms? I was reading through these replies and thinking that I could even deal with an open relationship... the backbone being an emotional connection... the security that can come from that. I keep thinking that if I had that, I could deal with almost everything else.

Shameless, blount, to the point, no BS. Thank you! :cool:

Barefoot, I agree with you. Wholeheartedly. I know I definately need a break. I've actually planned a short trip for business so that I get some time away. I think I am leaning towards telling him to move.

I don't think I want to throw our friendship away either, but at the same time, something that Diamond Dog said feels right to me... that is... not have any contact with him for a while. I think that right now, I provide more security to him than he does to me, and the biggest thing I think he needs to do in his life is to live it, not in any relationship at all. To enjoy the freedom he needs to learn about himself and find out what it really is that he wants.

For some reason, and call it a sign or whatever, but I've been seeing the adage "If you love something, you will let them go," over and over again for the past few days. Our friends are saying it, perfect strangers are saying it. I think I have to let go and live for me now.

HighEnergy
Dec 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
You are in a painful place, to have been loved and then rejected, for lack of a better word. Been there, done that. I still have a friendship with the person who has done the same to me. It's a painful place to be and leaves me wondering why I am not good enough. But remember, it's him, and his confusion, not your worth. Congratulate yourself on being a loving, open person who gave him love and acceptance, and know that you learned a great deal from this relationship, had good times and bad, and that someday, someone will KNOW the worth of your love and acceptance and cherish it. Maybe it will be him, maybe not. Losing the children will be difficult, but know that your love will remembered by them all their lives.

the mage
Dec 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
Happiness comes first from inside.
Do things that make you smile.

You won't be able to make someone else happy if they are not ok with them selves.

savbaby
Dec 6, 2007, 11:50 PM
I appreciate each and everyone who has responded. You've given me direction. I don't know whether it will work out or not, well who ever does, but seeing some of the replies has made me start thinking more about my happiness and what I'm really in this for. HighEnergy, you are as sweet as you can be. You all are! Thank you!

Brunette, thank you for sharing that experience with me. It really leads me to believe he's more confused than anything and caught up in the feelings or familiarities that came up when he had this experience. I am not feminine at all, nor is he, and I understand I can't physically or physiologically give him what he's missing. I believe the feelings he's having are pretty much just like you said, Brunette. He understands that he needs to find a balance with everything in his life if any of his life is going to be worth it. That being said, he still doesn't want to let go of what we have here even though we agreed today to find separate places to live.

He said to me today that I've shown him what a relationship is supposed to be like. That the best part of his day, the part he looks forward to the most, is crawling into bed with me and laying in my arms. He told me he feels at peace and completely comfortable when we're laying together. Also that I get the biggest part of him, that is, we have so much in common; we do spend a lot of time together, doing things together and he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I think the past week is him just getting wrapped up in something he hasn't had in a long time, and it has clouded his judgment. Am I gonna wait around for him to resolve it? Who knows? I've been through a lot already with it. But I am going to step back, live for me for a change, and see what happens. I've invested a lot into him and this relationship. It's his turn to show me. Right?

Thank you all again, this community is wonderful! I'd like to contribute from time to time if I may. Y'all give me a shout if you're ever headed to "the SAV," baby! I'll tell you where to experience the best of Savannah. :cool:

Germanicus
Dec 7, 2007, 1:01 PM
Looks to me that he is really confused, but that is not an excuse to play with your feelings, which he is doing even if he does not realize it. Sometimes the hardest thing in a relationship (romantic or otherwise, but especially romantic) is realizing that no matter how much you love someone, the relationship might not be the right thing for you. If you are going to pursue a relationship with him it will have to be based on some sort of agreement that satisfies you both. If a relationship is based on the desires of only one person, chances are it will not progress in a healthy manner, and will destroy the other person emotionally. You need to figure out what it is that you want and makes you happy, and express it openly. Don't give in because you might think he needs you, or you believe that if you don't have him you have nothing. Maybe some time away from away from each other would help you both figure things out. Just my opinion.

Oh yes, I would agree wholeheartedly

I feel sorry for you both since this is very close to home for me, but the guy is clearly confused. The state of his confusion and emotional trauma is clearly leading him to trying to keep all his options open and have his cake and eat it at the same time (mixed metaphors there).

Nonetheless, sympathy for him can only go so far since this situation is clearly killing you. It may sound cruel, but your (now) ex-boyfriend has dumped all his confusion and angst on to you as a way of resolving his feelings and that isnt fair. You're not the source of his problems, he is, or rather the situation he has found himself in is. Being there for someone and helping them because you love them is one thing, but being dragged down into their blackhole is another - and you wont receive any thanks for it.

Your boyfriend deserves a better life than the one he has now, and so do you.