PDA

View Full Version : is it true????

ChsnyNLelandsBsh
Dec 4, 2007, 5:08 PM
that being lesbian, gay, bisexual is dependent on if its in your family or not?? My mom told me that I cant be that way because none of our family is that way....I dont believe this to be true...

funhunter44
Dec 4, 2007, 5:15 PM
People have been arguing for a long time about whether sexual orientation is genetic or environmental....but only you know who arouses you sexually, so for somebody to tell you that you cannot be gay, lesbian, or bisexual because nobody else in your family is....that's hogwash. First of all, whoever told you this has no way of knowing the sexual orientation of everyone in the extended family.

FalconAngel
Dec 4, 2007, 5:20 PM
There are a number of factors to sexuality and orientation.

While upbringing and life events play a role in it, there is also the role of genetics.
Now just because there is no one in your family, to the best of your mother's knowledge, that is gay or Bi, that doesn't mean that there isn't currently anyone who is, or anyone in the past generations that was.
Like all genetic markers, some things are recessive and only show up every couple of generations or so. Then, they can also show up in an entire generation all at once, too.

It all depends.

ChsnyNLelandsBsh
Dec 4, 2007, 5:27 PM
thanks I thought so.....

The Barefoot Contess
Dec 4, 2007, 5:30 PM
Your mom's attitude looks like one of the following, or both:

1. She is not educated in sexuality/ies.
2. She is intolerant and wants to find an excuse to justify herself.

If you think she is wrong, explain to her why you think so and maybe you can educate your mom and teach her something she does not know.

ChsnyNLelandsBsh
Dec 4, 2007, 5:36 PM
well I know she doesnt accept the fact that im bi....both my mom and dad flipped when I told them

jeancarleo
Dec 4, 2007, 6:05 PM
I've been bisexual ever since I can remember. I do have a lesbian cousin and a gay uncle but I don't think that has got anything to do with the you can or can't because it wasn't my choice although I repressed my gay feelings while a teen i had to release my feelings when i reached 18. Can't be gay or str8 here. I'm proud of being who I am and I'm just myself. :bipride: