PDA

View Full Version : Bi Group Leader Yahoo Group!

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 2:33 PM
I got a great idea! Let's organize on the global level. If anyone else has done this, i don't know about it. If you do, tell me.

It would be a place where Bi Group leaders could come together and share advice. I think i'm going to start one and see what happens!

I just noticed Gemini25 posting about starting a bi group, and thought to myself... well i don't know much, but what i do know i'll share...but wouldn't be better if we could all share together!

:bibounce::bibounce::bibounce::bibounce::bibounce: :bibounce::bibounce:

diB4u
Nov 28, 2007, 3:20 PM
That would be a great idea, as I am new to the Bi scene, more friends I make the better..

softfruit
Nov 28, 2007, 3:27 PM
The way I read it, CSB isn't thinking of a space to make friends, but a space where people who are starting up or running local bi social / support groups could network and swap ideas or let off steam about the downside to running groups like that (believe me there is one!)

Which I think's a fab idea, though perhaps better suited to national level than global level - I'm not sure.

You'd do well to look at what is already out there (I was at a conference this weekend which brought together many of the people doing that kind of thing across the UK) ~ would it duplicate things that people like BiNet USA or uk-bi-activism are doing? Not knocking it, you understand, just don't want things to get even more fragmented than they already are in the bi movement!

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 4:10 PM
Yes, i just wrote a letter to BiNet and Bi Resource Center asking if there already was one. Yeah, i'm more focused on the USA, but any bi leader could join. I don't know well the issuses in the UK and elsewhere when it comes to having bi groups. But since people all over are pretty similar, it can't hurt to join if youre from another country.

darkeyes
Nov 28, 2007, 6:04 PM
Scuse me...on jus wot basis r we talkin bout bi groups? Seperate altogetha from the GLBT banner? Or as groups within the umbrella of GLBT? Cos ifya talkin bout further fragmentin the community such as it is ne more than it is at pres..me jus don wanna know.. sure me a lesbian but thats not the point...wetha gays bi's or TG's like it or not we in same boat..an fitin the same cause... jus cos ther r a loada arseholes in each part of our community who seem 2 hate the otha bits thats no reason 2 fragment... immense progress has been made ova last 40 years or so as a loosely united umbrella "organisation" of "organisations".. we weaken ourselves further if we begin 2 completely break that loose but general unity.

If yas talkin bout the settin up of bi groups within the umbrella of GLBT...me can jus bout live wiv that, but not easily, an wiv reely grave misgivins, cos me c's it as a potential powderkeg of the eventual rippin apart of ne tolerance an cooperation tween between all the multifarious sexualities within the GLBT banner.

The danger is yas walk str8 inta the hands of the gloatin gays an lessie who say yas jus don exist... anyas casts adrift the TGs among us an leave em 2 ther ratha dubious fate.. an play inta hands of the Str8 community bigots who will jump on it as a sign of the fragmentation an weakenin of our resolve 2 work united in furtherin ALL of the GLBT interest.

In me time as a bisexual woman me argued till me wos blue in the face bout bisexuality beina reality an as valid a way 2 b as gay str8 or nethin else, an lost me nut at gay men an lessies moren 1ce wen they arroganttly dared our existence an presume 2 know wot wos in our hearts an minds betta than we did ourselves. Jus cos me now ID's meself as a gay woman don change how me feels bout that, an won zip me gob wen me hears such bollox bein talked.... but in last lil wile has noticed..at first justified concern by many bi's an slowly changin inta a mirror of the intolerance many gays show 2bi's.. even sense a lil contempt among some for the transgendered among us.

Jeez me hopes this jus me paranoia..an dus hope wot yas all talkin bout aint a fragmentation of queerness. But it sounds like if not that yet, that its goin downa dangerous road 2 fragmentation wich can only in the long term b harmful 2 the progress toward acceptance of all GLBT peeps. Christ we r divided enuff as it is.. for fuks sake think seriously an carefully fore we splits apart ne more than is already the case.

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 6:41 PM
Darkeyes....i'm sorry to tell you that there are a whole lot of local bi groups out there already. Whether you like it or not. Some of them are affiliated with the GLBT groups and some are not. Just like woman like "woman only space" and so do so many other groups want their own space, bi's want "bi only space"....or at least "bi-friendly only space".

I'm on their side. I want to help them grow.

Gemini25
Nov 28, 2007, 7:13 PM
I got a great idea! Let's organize on the global level. If anyone else has done this, i don't know about it. If you do, tell me.

It would be a place where Bi Group leaders could come together and share advice. I think i'm going to start one and see what happens!

I just noticed Gemini25 posting about starting a bi group, and thought to myself... well i don't know much, but what i do know i'll share...but wouldn't be better if we could all share together!

WOW, I can't believe I made such an impact on you with my idea to starting a BI Support Group.

Your idea of BI leaders coming together to share ideas and advise is great as well.

It seems that some people are getting confused about what my original basic goal of starting a support group is. I'm starting this group because I know for a fact, that there are a lot of BI, and BI questioning people in my area, and they may not be able to bring themselves "out of the closet" (for lack of a better phrase) because they don't know any other BI people, and there aren't any groups up in this area, they're scared, they actually may be gay but married because of family pressures, homophobia & BI phobia, ect. I know for me, that if I had a support group like what I'm planning, and knew there were other BI people out there, it would have been much easier for me. I wouldn't have felt like such an outcast, freak, and ashamed of myself. This group will be strictly for support, letting people know there is someone here to ask questions to, talk about things with, put a face to what being BI is, and having an occasional social event (BBQ/Potluck/ect.) so people can meet other Bi people in the area and let them know they are not alone. We will hopefully be able Eventually, to attend the GLBT events in the area, and network with other groups to open the lines of communication with the GLBT community. But fist thing first, Baby Steps, getting the support group started and seeing where it goes. I belong to the local PFLAG in my area, and I know how difficult it is to get people to come to meetings, and commit to anything. That's why in the begging it's going to be very open and un structured, and we will add things as we go. See what works and what doesn't. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to email me.

Best of Luck to you CBS with your group. Keep in touch and let me know how things are going. :flag3:

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 7:42 PM
Hi Gemini25!

yeah, i thought it was a good idea. BiNet USA has http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BiNetUSA/ but that seems to be concerned with national stuff. Lotta big names there! kinda intimidating to us local yocals :rolleyes: Too much information to those concerned with how to start a local group, I think.

I just made one:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Local_Bi_Group_Leaders/

Give it a look see.

Bisexualnewbie
Nov 28, 2007, 8:02 PM
Hi there,
I have read the posts on here and wanted to add that where I am in Las Vegas there are no Bi groups at all, I have contacted the local LGBT center and they did not even have anything for me to be able to socialize with other Bisexuals.
I have wanted to start a group myself for a while here because there really is nothing here in Vegas for support and socialization for Bisexuals. If anyone here in Vegas or the surrounding area would like to start a group I welcome their input.
Thanks

darkeyes
Nov 28, 2007, 8:16 PM
Darkeyes....i'm sorry to tell you that there are a whole lot of local bi groups out there already. Whether you like it or not. Some of them are affiliated with the GLBT groups and some are not. Just like woman like "woman only space" and so do so many other groups want their own space, bi's want "bi only space"....or at least "bi-friendly only space".

I'm on their side. I want to help them grow.

Ya don hav 2 apologise 2 me babes in that patronisin tone cos me knows ther r lotsa bi groups... me concern aint bout ther existence...ne more than bout the existence of gay group or tg groups..me concern is ther seems 2 b an increasin intolerance 2 the parts of the GLBT umbrella 2 wich peeps don belong... dus hav concerns bout the possible fragmentation of the whole... cos increasinly me c's it cummin..an it scares me.. mite b lesbian now but mosta me adult life has been spent as a bi woman. So its nowt 2 do wiv likin or not likin..jus concern bout the future of the GLBT..cos me increasinly dus c it fragamentin inta summat wich will b much less than it is now.

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Nov 28, 2007, 9:18 PM

Dont we already belong to a bi group ? This community is a strong community. Sorry but I think it's a conflict of interest to mention it here. Infact I think it borderlines on rude. I say that because Drew has worked very hard to start this forum, and he brought us all together. Start your group, I think it's fantastic that people have more options.

And maybe I am misreading this, there is that possibility, who exactly are the leaders ? Why do we need leaders ? Are you degreed professionals that we are going to for advice ?
But like I said I could be missing the big picture here.

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 9:55 PM
Dont we already belong to a bi group ? This community is a strong community. Sorry but I think it's a conflict of interest to mention it here. Infact I think it borderlines on rude. I say that because Drew has worked very hard to start this forum, and he brought us all together. Start your group, I think it's fantastic that people have more options.

And maybe I am misreading this, there is that possibility, who exactly are the leaders ? Why do we need leaders ? Are you degreed professionals that we are going to for advice ?
But like I said I could be missing the big picture here.

I'm not disrespecting Drew. I'm talking about LOCAL groups that are just for your town only. Usually with people showing up for meetings. And as for the leaders... well someone has to start it...someone has to advertize it...someone has to be at every meeting whether they feel like it or not... They are leaders.

CSBForum
Nov 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
Ya don hav 2 apologise 2 me babes in that patronisin tone cos me knows ther r lotsa bi groups... me concern aint bout ther existence...ne more than bout the existence of gay group or tg groups..me concern is ther seems 2 b an increasin intolerance 2 the parts of the GLBT umbrella 2 wich peeps don belong... dus hav concerns bout the possible fragmentation of the whole... cos increasinly me c's it cummin..an it scares me.. mite b lesbian now but mosta me adult life has been spent as a bi woman. So its nowt 2 do wiv likin or not likin..jus concern bout the future of the GLBT..cos me increasinly dus c it fragamentin inta summat wich will b much less than it is now.

I for one do not support intolerance toward any GLBT. But I feel that people need to feel strong before they can help one another. Going to a Bi group helps some people feel strong...to know that they are not alone...to be able to stand up to biphobia.

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Nov 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm not disrespecting Drew. I'm talking about LOCAL groups that are just for your town only. Usually with people showing up for meetings. And as for the leaders... well someone has to start it...someone has to advertize it...someone has to be at every meeting whether they feel like it or not... They are leaders.

Ok I gotcha now. Thank you

diB4u
Nov 29, 2007, 2:48 PM

I would love to come to a local Bisexual/bicurious group there just isnt any in this part of my world... There is a support for Gay and Lesbian, but as I am neither.... There is one all the way up in London town, but surely there should be one locally... Meeting people online is all well and good, but I also want to meet for support to discuss about personal and sexual stuff... Even just to hang out with newly bicurious people.

the mage
Nov 29, 2007, 2:57 PM
We are very lucky here in the Toronto area, there is a ton of support out on the street.

darkeyes
Nov 29, 2007, 3:54 PM
We are very lucky here in the Toronto area, there is a ton of support out on the street.

Plenty ere 2 Magie..but on Fri an Sat nites we all tend 2 b in gutter....:tong:

softfruit
Nov 30, 2007, 4:42 AM
I would love to come to a local Bisexual/bicurious group there just isnt any in this part of my world... There is a support for Gay and Lesbian, but as I am neither.... There is one all the way up in London town, but surely there should be one locally...

As ever, there's one answer to that... cos for all of the places where there is such a group, or even the places with four or five such groups like Manchester used to have... they didn't appear by magic.

I'm warming to this "international chat list for group runners" idea.

vittoria
Nov 30, 2007, 11:42 AM
sweet idea... i think it would be awesome ...

there needs to be something like this in the cleveland area...

theres a bi mixer next saturday... i'll check it out

Iowabiguy
Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
I am here in Des Moines and we have NOTHING for bisexuals. I feel am the only voice on the prairie shouting for bisexual pride. To make matters worse on another site there is a link to an website that hasn't been changed since 2003 that claims to be something like Central Iowa Bi Social. I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against PFLAG but that is all that gets up-dated on the site is the monthly meetings in Ames 30 miles away. There hasn't been a bi-social that I am aware of for YEARS.
I have contacted the GLBT center here and of course they are understaffed and of course there is nothing for bisexuals. I honestly believe that Central Iowa could benefit from a support group for curious/ questioning/ troubled bisexuals. I just now took a deep breath as I thought about what this will all entail but aren't we as humans and bisexuals worth it to reach out to one another with compassion.

CSBForum
Dec 1, 2007, 9:35 PM
Well... Wendy at BiNet told me to run with it. So it's official: the bi leaders group is here. The address again is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Local_Bi_Group_Leaders/

Anyone running a group or considering running a group, please sign up!

bigregory
Dec 2, 2007, 12:02 AM
There are almost 100 such sites here at bisexual.com in the bi web area just for local groups.http://main.bisexual.com/links/browselinks.php?c=5
Please post any sites you make or know of there. This i'm sure would get you the most responses in your area as Bisexual.com must be the global leader in getting bi's together.
The bi web is under construction now so your post may not get added for a bit, but all the links can be seen.
I hope to see lots of new posts soon....:)

CSBForum
Dec 2, 2007, 2:06 PM
There are almost 100 such sites here at bisexual.com in the bi web area just for local groups.http://main.bisexual.com/links/browselinks.php?c=5
Please post any sites you make or know of there. This i'm sure would get you the most responses in your area as Bisexual.com must be the global leader in getting bi's together.
The bi web is under construction now so your post may not get added for a bit, but all the links can be seen.
I hope to see lots of new posts soon....:)

Yes, "the bi web" seems to be under construction right now because when i try to add the bi leader group i got an error message. I wonder how long it will be under construction. Drew?

softfruit
Dec 2, 2007, 2:40 PM
I ran into that error too, wanting to post a link to the www.bimedia.org news website. Thought it was just my browser playing up!

Thanks for setting the Yahoogroup up CSB, see you over there :D