PDA

View Full Version : What do you listen to when you're upset?

Azrael
Nov 17, 2007, 9:23 AM
Lately I've been digging into my musical archives. I've been under lots of stress lately, and I'm doing my best to suck it up and deal with it.
Some people I know would call this 'emo', which is a title I shrug off, because it implies that being emotional is some sort of unique trait.
That said, here's some of my preferred coping mechanisms:
The Cure- Disintegration, Faith, Wish
AFI- The Art of Drowning
Bella Morte- Where Shadows Lie
Cranberries- First two albums before they got all preachy
Jeff Buckley- Grace
Sisters of Mercy- First and last and always, Floodland
Christian Death- Only theatre of pain (the rozz williams RIP ere is the only CD that matters)
A Perfect Circle- Thirteenth Step (how can you not like anything of or pertaining to Maynard James Keenan?)
Joni Mitchell- Clouds, Hejira
Carole King- Tapestry (this one always hits a severe nerve with me)
Cocteau Twins- Four Calendar Cafe, Blue Bell Knoll
Massive Attack- Mezzanine
Tsunami Bomb- The definitive act
Radiohead- The Bends,OK computer (Thom Yorke's lyrics drip with child-like fascination)
Portishead- Dummy
Delerium- Semantic Spaces, Karma, Poem (hard to believe the same people are the creative nucleus of Front Line Assembly)
There's many more, but these ones are the frontrunners as of late.
I do other stuff. I write, talk to my friends and my therapist, go hiking, but I wouldn't have a shred of sanity without music.

Doggie_Wood
Nov 17, 2007, 9:55 AM
I put in my ear buds, plug in my MP3 player, get on my Harley and ride.
I tend to listen to tunes that are mellow, be it classical of Boch, Rocmananoff(sp), classic rock Carpenters, Byrds, etc - but nothing harsh which brings out more aggression.

JD :doggie:

diB4u
Nov 17, 2007, 10:09 AM
Ok well this is goona sound weird but geeky ah well thats me...

On my phone i have a selection of tunes, which i call mellow.

Here in your arms - HelloGoodbye
Wind beneath my wings- Bett Midler
Bang Bang- Nancy Sinatra
How to save a life- The Fray
Patience, Shine by Take that.
Louise by Robbie Willams
Loving you and These Streets- Paolo Nutini

Skater Boy
Nov 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
When I'm upset, I tend not to listen to ANY music at all, these days. The reason being, because if the emotion is intense enough, it can sometimes come to be ASSOCIATED with the song, and therefore, next time I hear the song, I will be reminded of the negative state. Association is one of the key forms of "Suggestion", and in psychologies such as NLP, its referred to as "Anchoring". But bear in mind that it can work BOTH WAYS, so if a song has a POSITIVE association for you, you may be able to use it to bring yourself back to the positive state of mind that you originally linked with the song. But for me, I find that negative states are more "associative" than positive ones.

buck-rogers
Nov 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
When I'm sad and feeling low I listen to anything catchy that you can dance to, usually Michael Jackson or Rick James. Or I'll listen to something sexual by Prince that puts a smile on my face (Sister and Bambi make me smirk every time :)). But If I'm feeling angry or frustrated I'll listen to KISS, their stuff from the 80s usually does the trick. :compuser:

domill
Nov 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
Smooth soothing jazz

Or alternatively, the sound of my chainsaw.

Dagni
Nov 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
Well music helps me to feel upset, specialy if i have to play work with someone who have no idea about music at all but still wants to be part of it.

What relax me? hmm,.....classic.

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
Metal calms my soul :)...... Ministry,NIN,System of a Down,Disturbed, along these lines always puts a smile on my face!!

Germanicus
Nov 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
When I'm upset, I tend not to listen to ANY music at all, these days. The reason being, because if the emotion is intense enough, it can sometimes come to be ASSOCIATED with the song, and therefore, next time I hear the song, I will be reminded of the negative state

I prefer not to listen to anything either. I like the peace and quiet. Its bad enough being assualted from the inside, without having to deal with external reminders.

Dagni
Nov 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
Metal calms my soul :)...... Ministry,NIN,System of a Down,Disturbed, along these lines always puts a smile on my face!!

I wouldn't call that metal at all.

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
Alrighty great for you.

Sarasvati
Nov 17, 2007, 12:57 PM

Wow Dagni - you really are It with a capital I!!! I always wanted to be like David Watts - but he's nothing on you.

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Tom....I like the Cure too....they are cool dude :bigrin:

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 1:03 PM
Wow Dagni - you really are It with a capital I!!! I always wanted to be like David Watts - but he's nothing on you.

I know huh what was up with that b/s....Anyway Sarasvati ya like the Kinks huh thats cool. :)

liquidcandycain
Nov 17, 2007, 1:14 PM
im kinda wierd
pantera or ramstein or anything hard and ether first person shooter games or something like command concure im telling ya theres nothing better than spending an hour building up your enemy then nuking them to ash while listing to thunderkiss 65 or blasting the hell out of an alien with worlds collide going in my ears

if me and the wife are stressing a 5th of tequilla rose and rainbow six ya put it on 2 person where your friend has to help you and everytime someone get killed you take a shot hehehe works good till the 5th or 6th shot lmao by that time both of ya are to buzzed to remember what you were stressed about and your trying to help your spouse fight through the board works real good with metal gear lol thats how we deal with stress

or on a less gory note shooting pool and listing to old rock works well to

Skater Boy
Nov 17, 2007, 1:14 PM

I guess you could call some of it metal, but its more the "Rock" side of Metal as opposed to the "Heavy and Black" stuff that Dagni likes.

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 1:20 PM
Hummm I am in the mood for some Hatebreed all the sudden....:rolleyes:

Dagni
Nov 17, 2007, 1:30 PM
I guess you could call some of it metal, but its more the "Rock" side of Metal as opposed to the "Heavy and Black" stuff that Dagni likes.

I wouldn't cal those bands metal at all, i am into black metal myself, but i think this new wave of so called metal is just not that.
No hard feelings, but i'm just too long into all metal stuffs so i know all definitions.

Now i'm listening myself in Celtic Frost album "Monotheist", feels good in this cold dark winter night.

Sarasvati
Nov 17, 2007, 1:37 PM
Hello Phenomenal RedHeadHoneyCat

It seems it must be the very silly season. May I suggest not allowing yourself to be wound up by these kinky comments.

Switch off your Hatebreed for now and find Death of a Clown.

That'll make you feel better

Skater Boy
Nov 17, 2007, 1:38 PM
I wouldn't cal those bands metal at all, i am into black metal myself, but i think this new wave of so called metal is just not that.
No hard feelings, but i'm just too long into all metal stuffs so i know all definitions.

Now i'm listening myself in Celtic Frost album "Monotheist", feels good in this cold dark winter night.

Well, according to Wikipedia, "Ministry" are classified as "Industrial Metal". But fair enough, I know you're a metal-head, so I won't question your judgement on this one.

The Barefoot Contess
Nov 17, 2007, 1:44 PM
If I am upset I put on some sweatpants and a pair of sneakers, grad by i-pod and take a long speed walk. Music? Whatever lets me let all the anxiety off, something really upbeat and energetic. It helps it the lyrics have a "message" that can somehow relate to my anger. Usually The Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode work well. Those two groups help with the sad moods as well, their ballads rock.

Azrael
Nov 17, 2007, 2:06 PM
As far as metal I go for heavier more old school stripped down stuff. Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Artillery, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Absu, Destruction, Kreator, Burzum (more ambient black metal), krieg, Averse Sefira, Impaled Nazarene, Noctuary, Decapitated, Mayhem back when they had Dead on vocals, Angel Corpse, Dissection, Nasum, Carcass, Immortal, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Exhumed, Darkthrone, Voivod, early Amorphis is great, the list goes on.

There are many bands that are pseudo heavy and kids just don't know what else to call it. Plus dumb fucks like Ozzy called Disturbed 'the future of metal' :eek:

The afore mentioned stuff, as skaterboy stated is mainly rock. I love industrial, but metal it ain't.
Not trying to be a shithead, just kickin in my :2cents:

Death, Black and Thrash Metal have gotten me through some horrifically trying times in life. To know that others are as disgusted and aleinated as I is rather nice.

Gorguts from Quebec has an album called Obscura. It drips with philosophical intent, love, dissonance and just plain tonal insanity.

I'm still very into metal, but the overt homophobia of a lot in the scene disgusts me. I tend to go to more punk shows these days.

Dagni
Nov 17, 2007, 2:13 PM
As far as metal I go for heavier more old school stripped down stuff. Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Artillery, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Absu, Destruction, Kreator, Burzum (more ambient black metal), krieg, Averse Sefira, Impaled Nazarene, Noctuary, Decapitated, Mayhem back when they had Dead on vocals, Angel Corpse, Dissection, Nasum, Carcass, Immortal, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Exhumed, Darkthrone, Voivod, early Amorphis is great, the list goes on.

There are many bands that are pseudo heavy and kids just don't know what else to call it. Plus dumb fucks like Ozzy called Disturbed 'the future of metal' :eek:

Death, Black and Thrash Metal have gotten me through some horrifically trying times in life. To know that others are as disgusted and aleinated as I is rather nice.

Gorguts from Quebec has an album called Obscura. It drips with philosophical intent, love, dissonance and just plain tonal insanity.

I'm still very into metal, but the overt homophobia of a lot in the scene disgusts me. I tend to go to more punk shows these days.

I like this post. Straight to the point. but i didn't noticed any homophobia in the metal scene.

niftyshellshock
Nov 17, 2007, 2:17 PM
Power Metal, definitely. Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Edguy, Maiden, etc.
Although I do indulge myself in really depressing 80s power ballads sometimes :D

But best song to cheer people up
has to be
Bright Eyes - Bowl of Oranges

Azrael
Nov 17, 2007, 2:18 PM
I like this post. Straight to the point. but i didn't noticed any homophobia in the metal scene.

Could be more of an American South thing, truthfully.

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 2:37 PM

The afore mentioned stuff, as skaterboy stated is mainly rock. I love industrial, but metal it ain't.
Not trying to be a shithead, just kickin in my :2cents:

Your no shithead Tom!! I really could not give a crap about what people wanna put in each group honestly. Let's just all choose our own path and rock with it...no matter what it is. XO Carolyn :2cents:

redheadhoneycat
Nov 17, 2007, 2:38 PM
Hello Phenomenal RedHeadHoneyCat

It seems it must be the very silly season. May I suggest not allowing yourself to be wound up by these kinky comments.

Switch off your Hatebreed for now and find Death of a Clown.

That'll make you feel better

Thanks babe....XOXOX Carolyn

frenchvikki
Nov 17, 2007, 4:00 PM
If upset and angry with someone, the sound of my screaming and occasionally the sound of breaking dishes or ornaments. If upset emotionally the sound of my sobbing.

Azrael
Nov 17, 2007, 4:19 PM
Your no shithead Tom!! I really could not give a crap about what people wanna put in each group honestly. Let's just all choose our own path and rock with it...no matter what it is. XO Carolyn :2cents:

troo that, darlin' :tong:

Megnum
Nov 17, 2007, 4:55 PM
Jesus too many things.
Brand new-jesus christ
Nickelback-far away, if everyone cared
u2-with or without you
aerosmith-i dont wanna miss a thing
wild world by i have no idea
and true love by radiohead.
Dangerous songs, those.
lol
x

Skater Boy
Nov 17, 2007, 6:05 PM
Jesus too many things.
Brand new-jesus christ
Nickelback-far away, if everyone cared
u2-with or without you
aerosmith-i dont wanna miss a thing
wild world by i have no idea
and true love by radiohead.
Dangerous songs, those.
lol
x

Welcome to Bi.com. Megnum! :) Good to see some more British members signing up...

izzfan
Nov 17, 2007, 6:07 PM
Songs I listen to when I'm upset... difficult to say really - It depends how you define 'upset':

If you mean being generally pissed off at the world ,and often myself, then my musical choices would be:
"Deadly Sinners" by 3 inches of blood
"Are you dead yet?" by Children of Bodom
Anything by Eminem (especially "Till I Collapse" and "Sing for the moment")
"St.Anger" by Metallica
"Feuer Frei" by Rammstein
Various songs by Cradle of Filth (scorched earth erotica, tonight in flames etc...)
"With Rue and fire" by Novembers Doom
"Never gonna find me" by The offspring
"March of the Dogs" and "No Apologies" by Sum 41
"Guns of Brixton" by The Clash
"Running Free" by Iron Maiden

If you mean in a mood of paranoia/intense worrying:
"The Noose" by the offspring
"Over my Head" by Sum41
"Paranoid" by Black Sabbath
"Eulogy" by Judas Priest [always good to listen to before exams]

If I'm just generally upset mood:
"Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica
"Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones
"Wasting love","Purgatory", "prodigal son" and "strange world" by Iron Maiden
"Bat out of Hell" by Meatloaf/"I just want you" by Ozzy Osbourne
The "Firefly" theme tune and "Tortured Soul Aslyum" by Cradle of Filth [if I'm feeling homesick when on holiday or at university]
"Rock n' Roll Children" by Dio?
"End of the Line" by The offspring
"English Fire" by Cradle of Filth

I could probably think of a few more but this topic sounds depressing enough already.

On a different note:

Songs that tend to cheer me up:
"Caught somewhere in time", "The Prohecy", "The Clairvoyant", "The Educated Fool", "The Edge of Darkness", "Infinite Dreams", "Aces High" and lots of other tunes by Iron Maiden
" We got the Right" by Helloween
"To Holmgard and Beyond" by Turisas
"Still Waiting" by Sum 41
"Dream of Waking" by AFI
"Before the Storm" by Firewind
"Rock Hard, Ride Free" by Judas Priest

And probably a load more songs but this list could go on for ages

Izzfan :flag3:

shameless agitator
Nov 17, 2007, 6:47 PM
If I wanna vent it's usually Sabbath, Priest & Maiden representing the metal end. Tend to throw in some Nirvana, Anti-Flag, maybe Ramones & Sex Pistols.

If I wanna wallow It's Rod Stewart, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Bonnie Raitt & a few others I can't think of at the moment. I actually have a couple playlists ready for such occasions.

pasco_lol_cpl
Nov 17, 2007, 9:00 PM
It really depends all on my mood. If I am in the sad / depressed sort of upset mode, the Im more than likely to listen to old country (Johnny Cash, Hank Willian's Sr, Patsy Cline, etc..). If I'm in that "I'm so pissed off that if I had a Tsar bomb I'd set the fucker off" kinda mood then it would be hard rock to metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Scorpions, GnR). Like most things in life, I'm all over the place.

quiet1fornow
Nov 17, 2007, 10:27 PM
Josh Groban....:cool:

ambi53mm
Nov 18, 2007, 12:20 AM
The sweet harmonious sounds of my inner-voices :yinyang:, set to the background of Carlos Nakai.:lokai:

Ambi:)

tigerpaw77
Nov 18, 2007, 10:50 AM
I guess I usually have my Maroon 5 cds in when I am not happy... but I will pull out some of the more alternative stuff.