PDA

View Full Version : GLBT and vocations

Lorcan
Nov 5, 2007, 10:12 PM
We all know the stereotypes. Hairdressers, interior designers, chefs, waiters, musicians, artists.... we seem to be attracted to these professions. Does anyone know of a study to prove it?

Tingly_Tickles
Nov 6, 2007, 2:05 AM
Just thought this was kinda funny but I'm sorry I can't answer who what why
ya know I don't know the answer but it does seem that a gay man can decorate
much better than most females that I've encountered in my lifetime.

Lorcan
Nov 6, 2007, 2:20 AM
I always think it funny when i think about what would happen if SOME people their wish.... i.e. to round us all up and nuke us from orbit. Suddenly their favorite fancy restaurants would close. Sorry you dumb-shits have to eat at Denny's.:bigrin:

I'm sure someone has done a study where they asked people both what they do for a living and what their orientation is. I'm just a curious cat. :paw:

DiamondDog
Nov 6, 2007, 4:34 AM
There are all sorts of people in all sorts of professions.

Stereotypes don't always ring true, and we should avoid using them or pigeon holing people into them when it comes to classifying people's sexual orientation based on their job.

I could care less what someone else's sexual orientation is.

Lorcan
Nov 6, 2007, 8:08 AM
Plllleeeezzz!
I'm not saying "you're are a hair-dresser; therefore you're gay". but if 10% of the population is gay then maybe 15% of hair-dressers are gay. That's how stereotypes are formed. That's why there is usually a "ring of truth" to stereotypes. If there are occupations that have a higher percents of gays, i just want to know and ponder about it. It's the scientist in me.

onewhocares
Nov 6, 2007, 9:43 AM
Well tickles......I am NOT gay and a woman and I just happen to be a decorator and it is not often that I praise myself, actually hardly ever, but I do a decent job at it. I feel great to be in the company of ALL those men....gay or straight or bi or transgendered. I do wish I had such talent...and they cook....and they make great drinks.....and they look SO SO SO much better than this tall chubby blonde from Boston.

Belle

Azrael
Nov 6, 2007, 9:48 AM
I've been a cook/chef's bitch off and on for 6 or 7 years. That, and working in the local hospital, were the most relaxed environments where I could let my guard down and just be.
I did HVAC/electrical for a few years. I was damn good at it, and I liked the challenge. The closeted aspect drove me mad with fear, though. After 2 years of trade school plus two years in the field, I finally said fuck it.
Back in the day this kind of stuff didn't faze me. I knew a few bi guys who worked in the trades, but they were all paranoid and closeted. That's not how I want to be.

Skater Boy
Nov 6, 2007, 9:52 AM
I studied design at artschool, and out of about 100 students in that year, only about 3 or 4 (at most) were gay. I guess that might show just how unreliable the stereotypes can be. That said, I suppose there might be some degree of truth in them... I did read somewhere that the "homosexual mind" lends itself well to "creative" tasks (eg. design, hairdressing, etc), and I'm the first to admit that I have a creative streak.

Tingly_Tickles
Nov 6, 2007, 12:45 PM
Well I wasn't trying to be mean or putting anyone down but like I said I haven't
met a woman that can decorate better than a gay man in MY lifetime maybe
some day I will but as of right now I haven't and Skater boy I have a creative
streak myself I love to decorate and I do all my own designs at my home.

I'm just one of those guys that likes that sorta thing even though being married
and all I can still just be me cuz my wife loves me without a doubt.

shameless agitator
Nov 6, 2007, 1:46 PM
I did HVAC/electrical for a few years. I was damn good at it, and I liked the challenge. The closeted aspect drove me mad with fear, though. After 2 years of trade school plus two years in the field, I finally said fuck it.
I think Az really hit on something here. I think the vocational stereotypes persist because people are more likely to be out in occupations where it's safe to be so.

mattypete
Nov 6, 2007, 6:06 PM
Hey Azrael,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your thoughts on working in the trades. I'm a wooden shipbuilder. Kind of a manly macho trade. I'm closeted, fearful, and paranoid as hell. It really DOES drive me nuts, too. I don't know what else to say, except that awareness is the first step. I have more than once thought of changing my profession to something a little more bi-friendly. It could make a huge difference for me. Thanks.

Matt

mattypete
Nov 6, 2007, 6:45 PM
While I'm on a role with this bi-friendly occupation thing....

Would anyone like to tell me what occupations they find are particularly GLBT friendly?

thanks, Matt

Lorcan
Nov 6, 2007, 8:55 PM
I think Az really hit on something here. I think the vocational stereotypes persist because people are more likely to be out in occupations where it's safe to be so.

Yes, you may be onto something there. What makes an occupation safe to be out? Az said "a relaxed environment", but what makes an environment more relaxed?

Azrael
Nov 7, 2007, 2:41 AM
Yes, you may be onto something there. What makes an occupation safe to be out? Az said "a relaxed environment", but what makes an environment more relaxed?

I mean there were a few openly gay and bi people there and no one really gave a shit.

DiamondDog
Nov 7, 2007, 3:27 AM

All types of jobs can be accepting and GLBT people work in all sorts of jobs and in all sorts of positions nowadays.

Many states and companies have sexual orientation discrimination laws or even clauses in their contracts that you sign when you get hired, where if you get fired by your company/employer or harassed because of your orientation the company/employer can get into big trouble because of this.

Or in many workplaces and companies it's like Azrael says that nobody gives a shit what you are as long as you come in on time, work efficiently, and do what you're supposed to do while working.

12voltman59
Nov 7, 2007, 11:52 AM
I do wonder about this---that the more creative areas tend to have a higher population of those who fall into the GLBT or even wider category---

There does seem to be a relationship between creativity and being something other than simply "straight"--I know that as I opened myself up to being more creative--I also came to realize this part of me and accepted it.

With all of the genetic work and studies of brain structure and such---perhaps the answer why there is this connection lies there--

But just like with all distributions of people---there are plenty of GLBT type people who also work in the less creative areas too-thngs like being police officers, the military and other more restrictive occupations---but since there tends to be more acceptance of differences in the creative realm than being a solider say----it is only natural that GLBT people are attracted to those areas.