PDA

View Full Version : TLC HOME SHOWS

cabooseme2
Nov 4, 2007, 7:56 PM
I have noticed that on TLC on tradding spaces and on the divine by design and other shows the portray alot of gay people have there homes redone for this season.:tongue:

12voltman59
Nov 4, 2007, 11:37 PM
That is not so surprising-while it certainly is not always the case--gay male couples often tend to rank in the highest socio-economic levels---so thusly they have a great deal of "disposable/discretionary income"---such gay couples can well afford to redecorate, renovate and the like with the highest quality items in all categories.

Author John Berendt had it right in his book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" --(not only did he detail the murder charges against Jim Williams--the prominent gay, antiques dealer from Savannah, Georgia)----Berendt wrote about how in large part---much of Savannah's incredible architectural heritage was savaed only because "the gentlemen" (Savannah speak for gay males back in the '50s when this all started) saw some value and beauty to all of those historic and stately mansions, townhouses and the squares of the city--all things that if the traditonal developers had gotten their way--would have all been leveled and lost--thankfully the gays "did come to the rescue."

Savannah real estate, even in this down market--remains some of the hottest in the nation, and it is hot because all of that wonderful and unique architecture was saved and is now in very high demand.

Rich gay couples are also often credited with sparking the rejuvination of San Francisco and many other cities in the US and elsewhere.

The only problem with their role in making places "hot" and very desirable--people of modest means have often been priced out of neighborhoods, cities and regions they and their families have lived for a long time.

meteast chick
Nov 5, 2007, 8:09 AM
I hate to say it but it sort of comes with the territory. It seems bisexuals and homosexuals are quite drawn to creative or artistic type jobs. It's like watching the Ice Capades or some hairstyling or fashion show without seeing a homosexual. I don't remember the last time I saw one that I didn't. I don't think it's a negative thing, I just think it is what it is. That's not to say that all bisexuals or homosexuals are in those types of industries and that there are no heterosexuals that do, because that would not be true, so don't get me wrong.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather get my house done, my hair waxed, my hair did, or my style on with the help of a like-minded fella or lady.

luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxo
meteast

DiamondDog
Nov 6, 2007, 4:27 AM
The label of gay has become blandly inoffensive, political, white, and middle class.

12voltman59
Nov 6, 2007, 9:08 AM
The label of gay has become blandly inoffensive, political, white, and middle class.

And another thing these rich gay have often become--members of and very large contributors to, the Republican Party--not necessarily because they like the overall policies of that party----something if you are gay --it seems it would be hard to do since one of the "planks" of the party is to work towards taking away the rights of GLBT people---but because they like the economic/tax policies of the Republicans.

Actually--this brand of gays are well beyond "middle class"--they are among that 1/10th of the American population that now hold something like 70 percent of American wealth.

FalconAngel
Nov 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
The only problem with their role in making places "hot" and very desirable--people of modest means have often been priced out of neighborhoods, cities and regions they and their families have lived for a long time.

Very true. We live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and 25 years ago, the downtown areas known as Las Olas and Victoria Park were run down with Las Olas being qualified as a slum. The gay community came in and, practically overnight, Las Olas became the "Rodeo Drive" of South Florida and Victoria park started to cost more and more.
Now in Victoria Park you can't even touch a small efficiency apt for less that a grand a month, not including utilities.

Of course, a lot of our area is like that, but areas with a large gay population base, like Victoria park and the town of Wilton Manors, are really high compared to other areas, not including the gated communities who price themselves artificially high so that the developers make their high profits.