PDA

View Full Version : 9th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance

MarieDelta
Nov 3, 2007, 12:19 PM
The Transgender Day of Remembrance was set aside to memorialize those who were killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder in 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Since then, the event has grown to encompass memorials in dozens of cities across the world.
http://www.gender.org/remember/day/

Nakia Ladelle Baker
Cause of Death: Blunt force trauma to the head
Date of Death: January 7, 2007

Keittirat Longnawa
Cause of Death: Beaten by 9 Youths who then slit her throat
Date of Death: January 31, 2007

Moira Donaire
Cause of Death: Stabbed 5 times by a street vendor
Date of Death: March 5, 2007

Michelle Carrasco “Chela”
Cause of Death: She was found in a pit with her face completely disfigured.
Date of Death: March 16, 2007

Ruby Rodriguez
Cause of Death: She had been strangled and was found naked in the street.
Date of Death: March 16, 2007

Erica Keel
Cause of Death: A car repeatedly struck her
Date of Death: March 23, 2007

Bret T. Turner
Cause of Death: Multiple stab wounds
Date of Death: April 2, 2007

Unidentified Male Clad in Female Attire
Cause of Death: Gunshot wounds to the chest and lower back
Date of Death: July 7, 2007

Victoria Arellano
Cause of Death: Denied necessary medications to treat HIV-related side effects.
Date of Death: July 20, 2007

Oscar Mosqueda
Cause of Death: Shot to death
Date of Death: July 29, 2007

http://www.gender.org/remember/day/who.html

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z84/mariesophia66/DSCN3175.jpg

Rest in peace brothers and sisters , we knew you but for a little time.

arana
Nov 3, 2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you for sharing this Marie. The fact this needs to exist makes me cry.

19biman61
Nov 3, 2007, 2:50 PM
It is so sad that people can't accept other peoples differences. If they would accept them and get to know them then life would be so much more fullfilling.

MarieDelta
Nov 5, 2007, 1:11 PM
Why The Transgender Community Hates HRC (http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2007/10/why-transgender-community-hates-hrc.html)

A brief history of the relationship between the GL and T communities.

While not inclusive of the Bi's it does sort of tell a tale of the problems between the three communities.

I know this stuff is a bummer to hear about, but I think it's important that we not forget where we come from. As a transwoman I feel that this information needs to be widely disseminated.

It is our world too, and education is the key to change.

Talk about flying colors and burning flags, as transpeople our country is nowhere. When we talk about rights and the transphobia that exists, people just look the other way.

One of the communities most at danger from HIV/Aids transgender women.

Why? Because some transwomen are forced into prostition, and share needles for injection , not of drugs, but of the hormones which make their lives bearable.

When in jail, transpeople can be denied hormones, forced to live in prisons of the opposite gender, beaten, raped and killed. They can be deinied the right to live as themselves. They are often beaten by their own parents in an effort to toughen them up. Which only leads them to run away and live on the street at an early age.

If we wait till we are older, oftentimes we are fired because we cannot meet the co. standards for appearance. We are often times forced into a situation where at home we are ourselves, but while in society we wear a costume of our former male selves.

And yet those who claim to be our allies say time and again that we must wait. Wait for people to understand , wait for the times to change.

Its a sad thing.

Skater Boy
Nov 5, 2007, 6:37 PM
Sorry Marie, I meant to respond sooner, but got caught up in other things. Thanks for posting this... I'm hoping that many people have read it and at least thought about what you said, even if they haven't replied.

Oscar Mosqueda, Victoria Arellano, John/Jane Doe, Bret turner, Erica Keel, Ruby Rodriguez, Michelle Carasco, Moira Donaire, Keittirat Longnawa, Nakia Baker:

R.I.P... lets hope the list gets shorter every year.

Azrael
Nov 5, 2007, 9:27 PM
It's the awful fact of the reality we're stuck with it.
I don't know who Jello Biafra quoted when he said this: "Only as long as we allow it.".

This hits particularly close to home because I live in Florida, where Oscar Mosqueda was from.

I'm not a transgendered person per se, but I do consider myself genderqueer.
I like to fuck with the perceived roles and behaviors. I sort of view gender as a continuum. I don't usually do full on drag, but my attire is occasionally very androgynous. I've got a strange stoner boi thing going on, if that makes sense. This is one of the major reasons I became so severely paranoid and anxious for a couple years, plus just from being queer and working in the skilled trades for a few years. My family thinks I'm nuts cause I have myself somewhat figured out.

So mote it be.
-Tom

MarieDelta
Nov 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
Lest we forget it's not just the Transgender people who are subject to violence its also the SOFFA (Signifficant Others, Freinds, Family and Allies) who are affected.

Here is a list of those who will be remebered as well today:

Jacqueline Julita Anderson
Cause of Death: Shot in the head with a shotgun by Eric Walter Running
Date of Death: February 24, 1998
Stories of this case call Anderson a “bearded woman,” which is not uncommon in articles of FTM murders. Anderson was killed at the same time as hir lover of 10+ years, Barbara J. Gilpin.

Brandie Coleman
Cause of Death: Shot to death by Paul Anthony Moore
Date of Death: July 22, 2003
18-year-old Brandie Coleman, while not a transgendered woman herself, was a close friend to Nireah Johnson, who was also shot in the head while sitting in Coleman’s mother’s SUV with Ms. Johnson. She had become a mother just two months prior to the murder. Paul Anthony Moore was found guilty of murder and sentenced to 120 years in prison.

Phillip DeVine
Cause of Death: Shot to death by John Lotter and Marvin Thomas Nissen
Date of Death: December 31, 1993
Phillip was in the house the night Brandon Teena was killed.

Darryl Fearon
Cause of Death: Stabbed
Date of Death: July 16, 2004
The 17 year old victim had come to the aid of three transgender individuals who were being harassed by Christian Soto-Ruiz. Soto-Ruiz stabbed this victim to death with a kitchen knife, and slashed one of the transgender individuals.

Maryline Grenier
Date of Crime: February 16, 1982
Roommate of Dianne Aubert who was killed, Maryline survived 30 stab wounds.

Willie Houston
Cause of Death: Shot, allegedly by Lewis Maynard Davidson III
Date of Death: July 29, 2001
Houston was not himself transgendered, but faced anti-transgender and (and anti-gay) violence because he was carrying his wife’s purse, and assisting a blind male.

Lisa Lambert
Cause of Death: Shot to death by John Lotter and Marvin Thomas Nissen
Date of Death: December 31, 1993
Lisa was in the house the night Brandon Teena was killed.

James Jerome Mack
Cause of Death: Beaten with beer bottles, sexually assaulted with a broom handle, strangled with an electrical cord and then drowned in a bathtub. His body was later set on fire in a trash can behind a church
Date of Death: January 21, 2001
Mack was not himself transgendered, but was the lover of a transgendered woman.

Pebble
Cause of injury: Shot several times and left for dead (but survived)
Date of Crime: July 27, 1999
Pebble was a friend of Barretta Williams who was shot 16 times, pistol whipped, tied up with speaker wire, and gagged with a sock taped into her mouth.

Yancey-Lisa R.
Cause of Death: Stabbed once in the abdomen and four times in the back
Date of Death: Easter, 1975
Yancey-Lisa was the neighbor of Barbarella (Joe V.), who was killed within weeks of Yancey-Lisa.

Pvt. Barry L. Winchell
Cause of Death: Beaten to death, allegedly by Pvt. Calvin N. Glover
Date of Death: July 5, 1999
Though Mr. Winchell himself was not transgender-identified, his lover was. He is believed to have been killed because he was in a relationship with a transgender person.

RIP Friends
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z109/jackienshawn/cds.jpg

darkeyes
Nov 20, 2007, 1:49 PM
Ahh the compassion and tolerance of humanity to that which they do not understand and of which they care to know nothing...

We who are less than accepted, remembering our own kinds tribulations, oppression and struggle for acceptance look forward to the day when our species achieves true humanity.

diB4u
Nov 20, 2007, 3:04 PM
Ahh the compassion and tolerance of humanity to that which they do not understand and of which they care to know nothing...

We who are less than accepted, remembering our own kinds tribulations, oppression and struggle for acceptance look forward to the day when our species achieves true humanity.

That is just so sad, such a blight on human kind. What right does these abusers, these killers have in inflicting pain and suffering on a person regardless of their gender. I can not phantom why a person could kill someone just because that person changed genders.

I never knew of the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance...

My heart goes out to all the victims of violence regardless of their sexuality, their race, their gender....

MarieDelta
Nov 20, 2007, 4:33 PM
Remember

http://www.topix.net/forum/news/gay/TRFE260QVPODEVOO3