PDA

View Full Version : Belle's Soldier.........

onewhocares
Oct 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hello All,

Many of you know me, most do not. I am Belle and I am from Boston. My husband and I have been on this site for more than two years now. He is the Bisexual and I am the straight wife. When we came here, what seems like a lifetime ago, I had NO idea how this site could effect your life. It answered questions, gave insight, but most importantly, brought people into our lives. Friends and Lovers.

One person whom I have been privileged to have come into mine is a solider from this site. Who knew one person could make such a difference? He was stationed in Iraq and my family and I “adopted” this man as our contribution to make a difference in one mans life. We sent things that were needed….food, clothing, bedding, books, movies, video games. We tried to do whatever it took to make his stay tolerable. Anything that was needed for he and his army mates. Ok, so the blow up doll and all those ladies panties that I sent were purely for their amusement, anything to try and relieve the stress.

The man that I came to know became a dear fellow in my life…he opened my eyes to the tragedy of war, the utter nonsense of how peoples of this earth are so different, yet alike. He also showed me strength, valor in utter moments of adversity. Courage under fire was a term which I have heard bandied around…I was shown the realities of that phrase. More importantly I have just learned what true honor and devotion has come to mean. This man, who was finished with his extended tour of duty, who really did not have to forge forward, a man newly married, has chosen to go back to Iraq. For what reason… to not leave his fellow men and women alone and fighting, fighting for a war of misery. Misery for mankind. To me, that is a sign of courage that many of us will never have to face. Fighting for freedom. Perhaps not a choice for all.

I never expected to feel such bonds of friendship and admiration for a man I have never met. Yet because of this site, and through a year or more of constant communication, I have been privileged to have him in my life. Today has been a most trying and difficult morning. Normally at work before six in the morning, the one day I am not here by then is by chance the morning he comes to say so long before he is shipped out. Life can be so hard.

My question to those of you who have or are facing similar situations, how do you cope? How do you deal with the anguish of knowing a loved one is in harms way? Perhaps it is different because this is war…but then again, I realize my situation can be applied to so many. Would you share your experiences with me, be it on here or by personal PM? I think this will not only comfort me, but others who are also in need.

I have enclosed my last note to him…………

91970 appear to be offline and will receive your messages after signing in.

You currently appear offline to 91970.
91970 (10/25/2007 7:09:08 AM): belle r u there
91970 (10/25/2007 7:57:19 AM): belle r u there

Belle (10/25/2007 8:15:39 AM): Yes I am here Steven
Belle: Yes I am here Steven
Belle: I can not even begin to have to tell you goodbye
Belle: I really had thought that I would have had the pleasure of meeting YOU, Steven, the man.
Belle: Not the solider, or the sex hound, not even my pen pal. But Steven the honest man inside you. I think there is a lot more to you then meets the eye, and that is the man I wanted to meet.
Belle: At this point all I can say is that I love you. Yes I do love you. Perhaps not in the way you may have wished, nor do I ever think you wanted me to have feelings like this for you.
Belle: But you, my dear sweet friend, have made a place in my heart that no one has ever been.
Belle: I have never been so scared in all my life for anyone. Knowing that you went back for any number of reasons.....to make a better life for you and Melody and the girls. To go back to the men you left behind. A sense of honor and dedication to your fellow comrades. Maybe there are other reasons why, that I do not know.
Belle: All I guess I really do know is that I have been most blessed that you have come into my life and I am proud to call you friend.
Belle: Someday, I know not when, where or how, but I will meet you.
Belle: Perhaps when we are old and gray, too feeble of body to walk, feeble of mind to even recognize each other walking thru the pearly gates.
Belle: Knowing you, you will be the one standing at the gates, a hundred year ole man with a hard on. Ah I can only dream.
Belle: Love you more than you know, Belle

THANK YOU for reading and hopefully understanding.

Belle

HighEnergy
Oct 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, Belle, I can understand. I have a client that is a soldier in Iraq right now. I pray for him everynight and im him when I see him online. It is a terrifying prospect having someone I barely know yet feel for in this stupid war. All I can say is that we do what we can to provide a little bit of warmth for each other on this planet, and that is what God asks of us.

Take care,
Monica

shameless agitator
Oct 25, 2007, 12:32 PM
I understand Belle. I've had to sity idly by while both my brother & my best frien d went off to war. When my brother volunteered to go during desert storm was when the political first became personal for me & I spent most of my time protesting that war. My best friend got shipped off to the desert when we invaded Iraq this time around. All you can really do is let him know that you care & he has somebody back in "the world" that's thinking about him & wishes him well. The other thing we can do to help all the people like Steven is end this stupid war!

HighEnergy
Oct 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
The other thing we can do to help all the people like Steven is end this stupid war!

Like drive more economical cars, and heat our homes with corn stoves? That's my plan to start anyway.

shameless agitator
Oct 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
That's a good start. Also kick the pro-war asshole out of office & hit the streets.

FalconAngel
Oct 25, 2007, 3:50 PM
As a Veteran, I know what that soldier is going through. My family has had at least one member of almost every generation serve the cause of freedom since the War of Independence. My father, 3 of my uncles (one was in Vietnam), one of my sisters and myself have all been in one branch or the other of the US military. After listening to my mother go on and on about how worried she was about me when I was overseas, I can understand.

But also, as a soldier, i know that the job of soldier (to those who may not fully understand) is like that of a police man. We do a job that is violent and (unlike the police) done in places and conditions that no one should have to suffer through, so that all may enjoy the fruits of liberty.
As corny as that may sound, it is true.

I remember a tee shirt that came out in the early 80's. It had a couple of versions. One was a couple of B-52s dropping their ordnance and the other was a tank firing, but underneath those images, it said "....when diplomacy fails..."

That sums it up. The job of the soldier is to take action when the tools of peaceful action have been used up and there is no other option.

Soldiers don't really WANT to go to war. They go because they know that they NEED to go.

Let us all hope that your young soldier and all of the others who are in this senseless war in Iraq come home safe and come home soon.

12voltman59
Oct 25, 2007, 4:41 PM
I was against this war before it ever got started----there are a whole number of reasons why-and its not that I am some sort of pacifist--I am a military veteran myself.

Well---I did my bit to try to head it off--sent letters to both of my US Senators, my Congressional Representative, went to Washington and took part in a peace/anti-war march for the first time in my life--all to no end.

I never wanted this war and I want it to end ASAP--actually the war in Iraq was over back in 2003 but we continued on and are now involved in what has become a big mess in which the different Iraqi factions fight each other---and that is a situation that is unwinnable---and could be almost continuous.

As many knowledgeable observers of situations such as this have noted--the situation in Iraq cannot be solved using military power--it only has a political solution. You don't use a sledge hammer to cut out a cancer.

That said-I support out troops because they are doing what they are told to do. It does bother me that more and more of them will die and or be maimed for life thanks to a senseless and futile continued presence in a place that we no longer have any place being.

I wish all the best for each and every service man and woman and for those who work for the civillian contractors (that is a whole other issue--one I don't agree with---farming out so many elements of what should be the responsibility of our military since our nation decided to start this war and turning over such functions to profit making companies is just plain wrong in my book.) I hope that no more of them have to be killed or be seriously wounded, but of course they will suffer such fates.

Belle--hopefully your friend will make it home from his deployment to a place that puts him "In Harm's Way" and he and the rest of our soliders will be out of Iraq before much longer---but first, we obviously have to get rid of the current US regime for that to have any chance of happening.

Tell your friend that we honor what he does and thank him for his service.

wanderingrichard
Oct 26, 2007, 12:05 AM
As a Veteran, I know what that soldier is going through. My family has had at least one member of almost every generation serve the cause of freedom since the War of Independence. My father, 3 of my uncles (one was in Vietnam), one of my sisters and myself have all been in one branch or the other of the US military. After listening to my mother go on and on about how worried she was about me when I was overseas, I can understand.

But also, as a soldier, i know that the job of soldier (to those who may not fully understand) is like that of a police man. We do a job that is violent and (unlike the police) done in places and conditions that no one should have to suffer through, so that all may enjoy the fruits of liberty.
As corny as that may sound, it is true.

I remember a tee shirt that came out in the early 80's. It had a couple of versions. One was a couple of B-52s dropping their ordnance and the other was a tank firing, but underneath those images, it said "....when diplomacy fails..."

That sums it up. The job of the soldier is to take action when the tools of peaceful action have been used up and there is no other option.

Soldiers don't really WANT to go to war. They go because they know that they NEED to go.

Let us all hope that your young soldier and all of the others who are in this senseless war in Iraq come home safe and come home soon.

echo the sentiments, as i too am a veteran of the 1st failed iraqi invasion.. and 2 previous smaller conflicts many have over looked..

sitting in the middle of the nefud desert, knowing we were going , just not when, pen pals became a great asset and lifeline for us. my entire platoon of mechanics and clerks adopted a lady out of the nashville area as our unofficial sister/mother/ all around lady in waiting.. now, many years on, i really wonder how she is doing, as i haven't ever kept up with her. .. my fault, i never followed through, and do not know if any of my former troops did either..

3 plus years ago, a male playmate i fell in love with [ i think cherokee_moutain cat did too] went to the current conflict, and i learned what it's like to be on the other side of the mess.. to be the one staying behind.. i've heard from him once during that entire time, while he was recovering from injuries from a roadside bomb.. and not since.

working for a major defense contractor in the pacnw , usa, as part of a fielding team on one of our militarys newest armored vehicles, i see hundreds of soldiers a year, hand them equipment that myself and other veterans have caringly worked on, making sure it's as close to perfect as we can humanly make it, before we put it into their hands and mostly never see them again.. hoping that in a year and a half or so, one or two might show back up at the shop and say hello.. and tell us whether or not our efforts have helped them, or saved the life of one of their fellow soldiers.. seldom does this happen, tho we have had family memebrs of soldiers who've been killed show up and ask to see what we do, what the equipment looks like, etc, in order to try to gain a perspective into the mind of their lost loved one... and what they may have went through.

trust me, having been in shooting situations, its hard really, to relate what you go thru to those who've not experienced it firsthand,, try as you may, sometimes, you have to just shut out all the rest of the world and concentrate on you and yours in the immediate here and now, bullets and explosions and all.

belle, i really hope your soldier comes back from this 2nd tour alive and whole.. it's a very hard thing he's doing, , but i can probably see [ i hope] why he's doing what he's doing..
Rich

scubaman
Oct 26, 2007, 4:49 AM
Like Falcon and Wanderingrichard, I too am a Veteran. He is a true Soldier and lives the meaning of Honor Courage and Committment. My heart and prayers to out to him and his family.

How to cope? You live with the hope and positive knowing he will return safe and as unscathed as possible. Be there for him, offer kind words, and support. It is hard, of all involved. Also, be strong for him!

Tx46M
Oct 26, 2007, 6:29 AM
Excellent Belle! I hope we all realize the gift our true heros in all branches of the armed services give all of us every moment. Throughout our history their sacrifices have allowed us to live our lives as we see fit.

TX

darkeyes
Oct 26, 2007, 6:44 AM
[QUOTE=FalconAngel;82458] I remember a tee shirt that came out in the early 80's. It had a couple of versions. One was a couple of B-52s dropping their ordnance and the other was a tank firing, but underneath those images, it said "....when diplomacy fails..."

[QUOTE]

Peeps in ere that hav read nethin of mine bout war know zactly wer me stands on the issue... so jus gonna do a kwikkie on the above quote.

The whole prob wiv the Iraq war quite simply wos that ther wos NO diplomancy from start 2 finish..ultimata an demands do not constitute diplomacy.. a war was wanted, a scapegoat found who fitted the bill, an a war was had .. an wotta luffly pickle we find ouselves in...

Re soldiers not wantin war?? sum dont..sum do.. wdn like to pick out wich is the majority... me mum not so long back brot bak inta me life an x bf who was squaddie who had served in Iraq... he luffed it an cud think an talk of sod all else... needless 2 say jus how long he lasted bak in me life.. an wots shitty is..me knows lots like im.... for sum its a personal need..thats wy they join the military in the first place..they r psycopathic bastards!

dickhand
Oct 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
I know your pain . When I was a boy , just nine years old , my father went to Viet-Nam . This was November of " 67 " . He was there for the Tet offensive . We didn't have the speedy communication that is available today . My poor mom went through hell . Thankfully he came home alive and unharmed physically . Recently my son served in Afghanistan . While there his mother/my wife died . He didn't make it home in time to say good-bye . After her funeral he had to go back to finish his tour . He had only a month to go . He too came home alive and uninjured . I know your pain .

onewhocares
Oct 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you ALL, so much. The last twenty four hours have been most heart wrenching. But throught the sorrow and the tears so many of you have taken time out to show just how much you care for me and what is going on in my life. On this thread and so many more personal notes. You shall never know that means. I am most grateful.

With heartfelt thanks,

Belle

shameless agitator
Oct 26, 2007, 4:11 PM
I just had a thought. Belle, why don't you ask your soldier friend if any of the other guys in his unit need pen pals? I know I have the time for a correspondence & I'm sure others on here do as well.

FalconAngel
Oct 26, 2007, 10:37 PM
The whole prob wiv the Iraq war quite simply wos that ther wos NO diplomancy from start 2 finish..ultimata an demands do not constitute diplomacy.. a war was wanted, a scapegoat found who fitted the bill, an a war was had .. an wotta luffly pickle we find ouselves in...

You are totally on the mark with that statement. Unfortunately, we have a warmonger for a President. One who avoided, though political connections, serving in Vietnam and so now wants others to go to war in his stead.
And you are both right and wrong. Here's how. There were diplomatic measures taken, HOWEVER, the diplomatic measures that were taken were just a smokescreen. Like the Japanese prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, we made the gestures of wanting a diplomatic solution while planning a sneak attack.
I am ashamed for my government doing that. It was both immoral and dishonorable. Most of the reasons that there is a grassroots movement to impeach "Emperor Bush" is because of the war and the false reasons that we entered into this war.

wanderingrichard
Oct 26, 2007, 10:54 PM
I just had a thought. Belle, why don't you ask your soldier friend if any of the other guys in his unit need pen pals? I know I have the time for a correspondence & I'm sure others on here do as well.

the pen pal program works great . it's how my platoon met the lady from the nashville area. fact is, we used to be required to pick up at least 4 "any service member" letters each time we got our mail during desert shield/storm. you could end up with anything from a elementary school class of 3rd graders in podunk, wherever, to older vets from WWII and Korea, to septo, octo and nono-genarians in nursing homes who all wanted to know how things were really going , "over there"; what do camels really eat, what does it look like inside a sandstorm,; is the desert really dark at night [ yes, imagine being inside a windowless, large room, then turn out the lights.] all manner of things were and are asked and discussed.

there are literally hundreds of these programs around the world, not just here in the US. Since i work hand in hand every day with a certain bunch of soldiers, i can refer you in private to their support website and you can surf the links they have along both margins and bottoms of pages, and you should find what you're looking for if you're interested. again, thats in private, reach me via my listed off site email. don't want to clutter things here.

and, Belle, i see what you meant.
Rich

onewhocares
Nov 5, 2007, 7:23 AM
Just thought that I would give you an update.....

My pen pal arrived in Iraq and is stationed in Bagdad, after some time in Kuwait. He is at the moment safe and awaiting his assignment.

Thank you all again....you have made such a difference in my coping and understanding what it is like for others in my situation. I just wish others have such a supportive network as you have been to me.

Belle