PDA

View Full Version : awesome concert memories

Azrael
Oct 17, 2007, 9:55 AM
Here's a few of mine.
1. Slayer/Hatebreed- (2003) churning twisted mass of sweaty contorting bodies. Tom Araya was staring right at me (front and off center- right stage corner) as we both screamed the words to 'At dawn they sleep'- every verse, his eyes got a little wider. Fuckin' intense. Completely destroyed my hearing in the right ear for two days. Slayer played a whole set, walked off, came back and played the entire Reign in blood album as an encore.
2. Tool/The Melvins(2001)- smoked sooooo much buddha. Noone works a crowd like Maynard. All he says is "good evening'' and the sundome explodes. Some of the best live percussion I've ever seen.
3. Circle Jerks/Lower Class Brats, Doll Parts(2006)-Keith Morris takes a few minutes to lecture the stoopid kids about not using punk rock as an excuse to be stupid. Played some Black Flag tunes as well. The next day I realized only half of the blood on my shirt was mine. Got kicked in the head a bunch of times. Unbelievable energy.
4. Tiger Army/ Street Dogs- (2007)amazing- a rockabilly and punk show in one. Jeff Roffredo is phenomonal with that upright bass.
5. Cannibal Corpse/Vile/Exhumed/ Hypocrisy- (2004)
Met all the guys in Cannibal, The drummer for Vile, and Hypocrisy closed with my favorite song of theirs!
6. Obituary/ Napalm Death-(2005) the Obies played a raging set with percussive interludes. There were a lot of skinheads at that show, so the boys from Napalm played a rousing version of "Nazi Punks Fuck Off". This was like the sixth show or something where I ran into Alex Webster in the crowd (Cannibal bassist). He's cool as hell.
7. KMFDM/Combichrist-(2006) kmfdm kicked out all the classics, from Light to A drug against war, to megalomaniac, to World war III. Combichrist's live show is simply eerie. I loves me some industrial musik.

That's just a few.

DiamondDog
Oct 17, 2007, 1:27 PM
Sounds like a fun time!
I'll write more about this topic later.

darkeyes
Oct 17, 2007, 1:40 PM
Snoggin Kate for the 1st time at a Capercaillie concert....

darkeyes
Oct 17, 2007, 2:53 PM
Snoggin Kate for the 1st time at a Capercaillie concert....

Kate reminded me wile it wos our 1st snog... she wos horrified.... an told me she not inta same sex naughties.. God... how me forget that??:(

How times change... tee hee:tong::bigrin:

hillwalker54
Oct 17, 2007, 3:21 PM
Man i am really goingto be showing my age..... But...

Aerosmith, 1973, Lowell, MA University of Lowell..... The Bad Boys of Boston in their early prime lighting the world of rock on Fire!!

Myself and my 2 roomies with our Gals all in our dorm room after.... Course back then that was considered hot :-). No swappin but Lotsa moaning and groaning, sweaty bodies, panting, memorable yes!!! Those were the days :-)!!

Azrael
Oct 17, 2007, 7:07 PM
Man i am really goingto be showing my age..... But...

Aerosmith, 1973, Lowell, MA University of Lowell..... The Bad Boys of Boston in their early prime lighting the world of rock on Fire!!

Myself and my 2 roomies with our Gals all in our dorm room after.... Course back then that was considered hot :-). No swappin but Lotsa moaning and groaning, sweaty bodies, panting, memorable yes!!! Those were the days :-)!!
My ex's favorite time to pounce on me was right after a death metal show when the adrenaline's still at a supremely unhealthy level :bigrin:

darkeyes
Oct 17, 2007, 7:09 PM
My ex's favorite time to pounce on me was right after a death metal show when the adrenaline's still at a supremely unhealthy level :bigrin:but werya up 2 it Az babes??? tee hee
:bigrin:

KR2007
Oct 17, 2007, 7:16 PM
Ozzfest 06' Disturbed & System of a Down.
Amazing concert!!! Never been to rock concert and it couldn't have been any better. So many different types of ppl together enjoying music and good times.
ROCK on!!!:tongue:

darkeyes
Oct 17, 2007, 7:20 PM
Ya wan awesome..try Glastonbury Festival.. every year the same... rain mud wet soaked mizzy squelchin up ta ya knees in shite..but brill... tillya dun Glastonbury ya aint seen awesome...

Azrael
Oct 17, 2007, 7:48 PM
I wanna check out 'Monsters of Rock' at Castle Donington, or Wacken Open Air fest in Germany. Wacken is several days and bazillions of quality metal bands. All the big names. Iron Maiden, Possessed, OMG, I just read Carcass is reforming for Wacken 08!!! I must sell some blood and perhaps a kidney :cool:

And fuckin Bonaroo. This year the headliners were Tool, The Police and The Flaming Lips :bigrin:

arana
Oct 17, 2007, 9:10 PM
Wow I haven't been to a concert in ages but they were all special and memorible in one way or another, especially if I met someone in the band.
My first concert was in '79 at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum. The coliseum was where the main show was; Aerosmith, Cheech and Chong, Van Halen, UFO, Eddie Money, Boomtown Rats and April Wine. On the outer portion of the stadium there was a carnival with rides and the works. Then if you went over to the sports arena they had a huge internation food court, vendors, games, skate boarders showing their stuff and a bunch of other things.

onewhocares
Oct 17, 2007, 9:34 PM
I have not really been to many concerts. My very first was to chaperone my little sister to a Billy Joel concert. Now my age will show.... I was allowed to drive my parent '78 Cadillac De Ville which carried myself and five teens. All went well, a tad too loud for me. We got all the way out to the car at the end of the concert and discovered that I had lost the keys. Went back to the Boston Garden and they lest us go back to our seats. Turns out the keys had fallen out of my pocket and were found. Not too interesting.

My last concert was seeing the Eagles about a year ago. Front row seats and was invited by another couple. I accepted not even knowing who the Eagles were.

Once I went to see Julio Iglesias. It was SO bad. The man, an icon, just stood stick straight in the middle of the stage and did not move. Was hope in an hour.

If I had one wish it would have been to see ABBA. Love them. Guess I too Hillwaker am showing my old age.

Belle

HighEnergy
Oct 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
OK, I'll show mine. Neil Diamond and Elton John, both concerts sometime in the late 70's, early 80's. Oh, and Bob Dylan, during the time he just stood there stoned and droned on.

jedinudist
Oct 17, 2007, 10:34 PM
Good god, so many concerts, so little clear memory - LOL

Motley Crue rocked (wife says I growled and howled at people - I have no clear memory of doing that)

Ozzy rocked every time - wife and I BOTH howled.

Rob Zombie was a bit freaky as far as the stage show went, but the music was power!

Alice in Chains was good

Sepulchura (sp?) was good

Def Leppard, Van Halen, George Thorogood (SP?), Bryan Adams = all gave great shows.

I like to "enhance" myself and let the music take control :)

Doggie_Wood
Oct 18, 2007, 12:33 AM
What the fuck - ya only live once and no one is immune to getting older - LOL
1972 - San Antonio Convention Center - The Grand Funk Railroad and Uriah Heep - smoked some excellent wauhaukin, or was it michmican (sp).

And then I remember a couple of years later, 74 or 75, working in Dallas, getting off work and walking next door to Machine Gun Kelly's (a local entertainment bar back then) and listening to a couple of (somewhat) locals, play their asses off - Willie Nelson and Jerry Jeff Walker. Those were the days.

heavyfnmetal
Oct 18, 2007, 5:09 AM
:eek::smoke::rotate::wiggle2::bounce::devil::drool ::soapbox::bowdown::stoned::mohawk::banghead:

So many memories and emotions...

A little jealous of Azrael I am. Many good shows he has been to...

Every Saint Diablo show is a good Saint Diablo show. (http://www.myspace.com/saintdiablo)

Most recently... Sep. was Sanctity and Machine(fuckin')head. Arch Enemy was supposed to play between them, but "due to an athsmatic condition, Arch Enemy will not be performing tonight". It was ok though, Sanctity started the night off strong, and Machinehead tore the fuckin' building down. It was intense.

Then here in Oct. was Weedeater, Throwdown, and then... GWAR! That was an absolutely crazy show. Interesting combo night of stoner rock, hardcore, and... whatever the fuck GWAR can be classified as.

Hmm... Chimaira opening for Fear Factory in '04.

Powerman5000 was crazy, Atreyu was fun, Lacuna Coil... what an experience, Kittie back in May of this year... oh my god... I loves me some Kittie, Mushroomhead last year was fucking awesome...

Ooooh... oh god Metal... mmm...

o.0
0.o

eh... I mean uh... yay metal! heh...:oh:

darkeyes
Oct 18, 2007, 7:01 AM
Wow I haven't been to a concert in ages but they were all special and memorible in one way or another, especially if I met someone in the band.
My first concert was in '79 at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum. The coliseum was where the main show was; Aerosmith, Cheech and Chong, Van Halen, UFO, Eddie Money, Boomtown Rats and April Wine. On the outer portion of the stadium there was a carnival with rides and the works. Then if you went over to the sports arena they had a huge internation food court, vendors, games, skate boarders showing their stuff and a bunch of other things.

Wosnt that 1a the "Frannie.. Welcum 2 the World Celebration Concerts" Ran??? tee hee

Azrael
Oct 18, 2007, 8:29 AM
Like a year or two ago, my Mom (59) went to her first concert (i.e. a big name arena rock show). Eric Clapton at the Ice Palace (tampa). She got a shirt, and her ticket stub is in the corner of her bedroom mirror. I'm so proud :bigrin:

johnnyeasy
Oct 18, 2007, 9:21 AM
Well, since going to live concerts is one of the activities that make me happy, I have been to a lot of concerts. Two memories stick out.
I graduated from High school o n June 6th, 1976. One week later there was a concert at JFK MStadium in Philadelphia with about 4 or 5 bands, but my favorite group, YES, was the headliner. The act right before him was Peter Frampton, whose album FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE, had just been released and was becoming pretty popular.
they sold over 120,000 tickets for the show. Bright sunny weather, clear skies, lots of Activities to do while they got the stage ready between acts like looking for the two or three bathrooms and ONE freaking water fountain.
JFK is the stadium that hosted LIVE AID. They never sold more then
100,000 tickets to any show in that stadium again, they learned a lesson from the first show about the stadiums capacity.
When I started college in the fall, I SWEAR, half the freshmen class had gone to that concert right after they graduated and I swear the other half had the Album FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! in their dorm room when they moved in!
this post took too long so I will save another memory for a diffrent post!

Azrael
Oct 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
A little jealous of Azrael I am. Many good shows he has been to...

Indeed. But I'M jealous of Modernprimitiveohio- he's seen some fuckin' shows.
I'll try to get him in on this thread. He fucking rules :bowdown:

rmorti
Oct 18, 2007, 4:52 PM
Download 2006.....KoRn,Metallica, The prodigy, Enter shikari, Billy talent, Trivium, A7X, Bullet for my V, reuben, Hundred reasons, Alexisonfire, Deftones..to name a few there.
Billy Talent, Enter shikari as support
Lost prophets, Taking back sunday and Aiden as support
System of a down, M.E.N. support band I had no clue who they were
Maximo park, twice, both times amazing, support band clor.
Death from above 1979....patic good as they split up quite soon.
Skindred
Reuben
Bloc party

izzfan
Oct 18, 2007, 7:14 PM
I'd have to say that my absolute favourite concert memory was probably the first ever rock concert I'd ever been to. I was 16 and it was an Iron Maiden tribute band [yes, I've seen the real maiden since this but more on that later] of the highest quality..... It was in a tiny venue in Poole I think and it just Rocked! [It also introduced me to my favourite Iron maiden song 'Caught Somewhere in time'] it was just so loud and cool - yes I was at the front, near the speaker [my ears were ringing for a few days after that]. It wasn't the biggest concert I'd ever been to but it was the first one and with most fun things the first time is often the best.

Other concerts - about 2 and a half years ago, I went to see Judas Priest in Concert in london. the support band was The Scorpions and they REALLY rocked! Priest were amazingly good but unfortunately at that time [I was about 17 and only had one judas priest album at the time - called 'Priest...Live'] I didn't know half the songs they were playing and don't really remeber them because of this.....which is a shame as [reading through a set list for that concert that I found recently] they played a load of stuff from "Painkiller" which is pretty much a perfect album (there are few albums that I consider to be 'perfect' - some examples are 'Virtual XI' by Iron Maiden, 'Coming from the Sky' by Heavenly, pretty much any album by the offspring, 'Eden in Ashes' by Divinity Destroyed etc..)

I also saw Iron Maiden at earl's court last christmas. It was a concert for their 'a matter of life and death' album and after about the fourth or fifth song, some of the sound equipment backstage caught fire and there was silence for about 10 minutes.... despite this people [myself included] were still cheering for Maiden the whole time which just goes to show what an amazing band they are. It's really wierd cos I have randomly met at least 3-4 people who have turned out to have gone to exactly the same concert...it's a small world. As for the support bands: lauren Harris was ok but Trivium....they were shite [quite funny really cos the only people applauding after their songs were about 3 people in Trivium hoodies who can't have been older than 14 lol] people actually started throwing stuff at them at various points...which caused their arrogant lead singer to moan at the crowd [ there was a video of this on youtube at one point... I think it was called 'Matt Heafy pissed' - very funny but not as funny as actually being there when this happened]. Apologies to any trivum fans on the site lol.

Izzfan :flag3:

heavyfnmetal
Oct 19, 2007, 12:21 AM
Like a year or two ago, my Mom (59) went to her first concert (i.e. a big name arena rock show). Eric Clapton at the Ice Palace (tampa). She got a shirt, and her ticket stub is in the corner of her bedroom mirror. I'm so proud :bigrin:

Now I'm jealous of your mom.

On another classic rock note: My mom told me recently that the only reason I've never seen the Stones is because the tickets were like $200. I was about 15 or 16 when they came around our area... so like... 1998 or 99. That would have been bad ass...

fred jones
Oct 20, 2007, 7:36 AM
The best live show I ever atteded was Elvis at the Spectrum in 1972. He was awesome, baby!

Clapton, Live Aid, Fats Domino (at the Spectrum).

The Doors, Jimi Hendrix.

One of the good this about being old is that you got to see all of the 'classic' acts. lol

ambi53mm
Oct 21, 2007, 8:51 AM
Grateful Dead would top my list in terms of an overall experience. Balloons Balloons and more Balloons.....:cool:
Grand Funk Railroad my first and Tears For Fears my last with too many to mention in between.

Ambi:)

Fresia
Apr 21, 2015, 1:11 AM
George Strait.
Tim and Faith.
Lone star.

I'm a little bit country.

BigDog88
Apr 21, 2015, 1:00 PM
Bob Seger 2015
The Eagles 2014
John Mellencamp 2010
James Taylor x3

DOZERLA
Apr 22, 2015, 1:40 AM
So many concerts, so little time:

Alice Cooper - Flush the Fashion - 1080 - *My first rock concert ever - blood & guts - what's not to like?
DEVO - 1981 - New Traditionalist tour - with the conveyor belts & Grecian columns!
Minor Threat - 1982 - Clovis warehouse hardcore punk show
Prince - 1999 Tour w/ The Time & Vanity 6 - 1983 - seminal show - right before he broke big
The Clash - 1984 - "Out of Bounds" Tour - the final tour w./ Joe & Paul still in the band (met/hung out with the band backstage)
REM w/ Dream Syndicate - Reckoning Tour - 1984 (very small venue, like 100 people)
Paul Weller - 1992 - Roxy
X - Opium Den - Hollywood (their "final" show...but then they reunited over & over again years later...)
Culture Club - 1999 "Don't Mind If Do" U.S. reunion tour
PJ Harvey - Viper Room, LA - 2000 (up close & personal!)
Scritti Politti - Roxy - first U.S. tour ever (Cupid & Psyche '85 is one of my fave albums)
AC/DC - Black Ice Tour - 2008 - The Forum (*Loudest show ever! i thought my ears were blown out for days...)
Grace Jones - Hollywood Bowl - legendary!
Kylie Minogue - Hollywood Bowl - amazing stage show!
Jason Aldean & Luke Bryan - Go Country 105 Fest - OC - 2012 - great country show!

...there are many more, these are just a few highlights!