PDA

View Full Version : Who would you invite to dinner?

onewhocares
Oct 4, 2007, 12:16 AM
My daughter Kendall and I were watching television earlier this evening and a commercial came on. It asked the question," If you could ask one person from your past who has passed away to dinner, who would the be and why?"

She asked me that question, and after much thought I came to the realization that I missed my aunt Betty who was such an influence in my life. I was the daughter I think she wished she had. She was the one who introduced me to the world of fine art, opera, ballet and how to make crazy Jello desserts. She showed me that to be a lady comes from the inside out, and self confidence is so important in a yound womans life. That loving your husband can be something you celebrate everyday. She never forgot your birthday or special day in your life. I think part of me always tries to emulate her and teach my daughter through both words and actions how to me a happy woman.

Share you dinner companion with us........
Belle
Belle

MarieDelta
Oct 4, 2007, 1:13 AM
My aunt (who now teaches at a University, but I cant seem to reach) who stood up to my first grade teacher for me. Would dearly love to contact her again.

I have tried, will try again. It's a project of mine.

DiamondDog
Oct 4, 2007, 1:46 AM
WSB and PKD.

Provided they were not too strung out.

darkeyes
Oct 4, 2007, 2:25 AM
My granpa cos if he cud cum it wud mean he was still alive an we cud laff and giggle as we did, we cud talk the wisdom of the world as wos our wont. An me cud hav back the best friend of my childhood and adolescence.:bigrin:

izzfan
Oct 4, 2007, 4:04 AM
"If you could ask one person from your past who has passed away to dinner, who would the be and why?"

If it was someone from my past I would probably invite my grandfather on my mother's side of the family as he died when I was very young and I never got a proper chance to get to know him.

If I could invite anyone who has passed away I'd probably invite William Burroughs,Hunter.S.Thompson, H.P.Lovecraft or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Izzfan :flag2:

scubaman
Oct 4, 2007, 4:39 AM
I would have to say my parents since my Mom was not able to meet my wife and has not had the pleasure of knowing my children. It would be nice to sit down and for dinner and enjoy their company again.

hillwalker54
Oct 4, 2007, 6:31 AM
My Brother..... He left this life too early, we'd have plenty of catching up to do :-)

Wishing all of those we speak of here Peace in their dwelling place.

HighEnergy
Oct 4, 2007, 9:04 AM
That's easy. My stepfather. He died 9 years ago this week. It's been a bittersweet week remembering him. He taught me many, many things and was always loving and had a wicked sense of humour. All these years later, the sun still rises and sets in my heart directly on him.

12voltman59
Oct 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
I don't recall his name now--but I had this distant uncle who had been a Chicago cop and had served on the body guard detail for "The Mayor"-the original Richard Daley, mayor of Chicago in the "bad old days" with his huge political machine.

I bet my uncle had some interesting stories to tell!!!!

I also have a long deceased aunt --Agnes.

Agnes had never married and it was rumored she might not be a "staight hitter"

She had this great job as a top executive for the Crowel-Collier Publishing Company --the company once published Collier's Magazine, The American Magazine and The Woman's Home Companion magazines back in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

I knew her well but when I was a young boy--I would like to have been able to talk to her as an adult and hear her stories-she was a woman beyond her time--being an executive and traveling the world at a time women as a rule--just did not do such things since it was "a man's world."

texasman6172003
Oct 4, 2007, 6:01 PM
Hi Y'all, Well i got to thinking about what Belle was talking about. Im going to expand my choices a little. The one person id like to see the most again would be my Father. When i was 18 He died of a heart attack. Im now almost 49,and like one of the other's said there would be a lot of cacthing up to do. I really miss going fishing with him and waching ballgames together like we used to do,:). But most of all id like to apolgize to him for the way we werent really getting along at the time he died. So i would really love to see him.. Also another person, and i hope this isnt to morbid for most people,and sorry if it is. We had a son that was stillborn back in 86 and i would like to see him again if i could. Sorry if that's a little weird for some but i would love to see him.. Ok on a lighter note the other person's would be a lot of the people from this site. Would like to meet several of y'all,lol. Like i said this was a litlle long ,but it's my :2cents: on the qoustion Belle asked..

darkeyes
Oct 4, 2007, 6:28 PM
Now if yas talkin sum 1 yummie... an famous me wud invite JD...no doubts... e can leave Vanessa at ome..cow wud jus get in way an keep us from enjoyin ourselves afta...

Skater Boy
Oct 4, 2007, 6:58 PM
Now if yas talkin sum 1 yummie... an famous me wud invite JD...no doubts... e can leave Vanessa at ome..cow wud jus get in way an keep us from enjoyin ourselves afta...

lol, now if that were moi, I'd be like "hell, WHY NOT bring Vanessa?!".

And I thought you said you had taste, Fran. :rolleyes:

darkeyes
Oct 4, 2007, 8:10 PM
lol, now if that were moi, I'd be like "hell, WHY NOT bring Vanessa?!".

And I thought you said you had taste, Fran. :rolleyes:

Me dus.. Vanessa is quite yummie an me don mind a wee canoodle wiv er... but waited 2 long 2 have JD in me knicks an pawin an nibblin at me tidgies 2 hav er claim ne of the fun.... besides...she has had im 2 erself for years now!! Time for my share!!!

Ally Kat
Oct 4, 2007, 8:28 PM
Also another person, and i hope this isnt to morbid for most people,and sorry if it is. We had a son that was stillborn back in 86 and i would like to see him again if i could. Sorry if that's a little weird for some but i would love to see him..

that is not morbid at all in my book....I have a couple of those myself I'd like to see. In fact when I saw this thread that was the first thought that popped into my head, but like you I thought it would be a little much to say out loud, thanks for being braver than me Tex

onewhocares
Oct 4, 2007, 8:50 PM
To Ally and Tex,

Never feel that the comments you make will be looked upon as foolish. We are here to share with each other....the good times and bad. I started this thread because there may be things that we would have liked to have said to the other person, and circumstance did you allow you to that. I have given you a forum and please so say what is in your heart.

Belle

kitten
Oct 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
Probably my own mother who dies 9 years ago this month and then my paternal grandmother who died over 20 some years ago. They nver got along and many times I was caught in the middle and I never knew what the beef between them was besides just being inlaws.

Otherwise, many family members have passed in last few years and I would like to have a big reunion like we always had at every Thanksgiving holiday.

Great thread Belle!
Thanks for letting me find those happy memories and thoughts!

hugs,

Fresia
Apr 20, 2015, 11:46 PM
I was engaged to my first love.
He died unexpectedly shortly before our wedding.
It took me years to feel ok about moving forward.
Im married and have a daughter now.
I'd like to hear that he understands.