PDA

View Full Version : "Gay" and "straight" are misleading terms

MarieDelta
Oct 3, 2007, 7:38 PM
From the October issue of Scientific American (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=494B842C-E7F2-99DF-34C2056DD8A10705&chanID=sa006)

Is sexual orientation similar to eye color, consisting of fairly discrete categories? Or is it more like height—that is, falling along a continuum? As a psychologist, I have explored that question in several venues, including the February/March 2006 issue of Scientific American Mind [“Do Gays Have a Choice?”]. Although common thinking holds that everyone is either “gay” or “straight,” my new survey of nearly 18,000 people who voluntarily answered an online quiz shows that these terms are highly misleading. Sexual orientation actually lies on a smooth continuum, and the way people state their orientation is often a poor predictor of their true sexual behaviors and fantasies. Someone can call himself “gay” but behave “straight,” and vice versa.

At the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality meeting in November, I will report that the same continuum of scores exists in the U.S. and in the average of scores from a dozen countries outside the U.S. I also find that fewer than 10 percent of subjects score as “pure” hetero*sexual or homosexual and that females place, on average, farther toward the gay end of the continuum than males do. My study suggests that characterizing sexual orientation properly requires two numbers: mean sexual orientation (where a given person lies on the continuum) and sexual orientation range (how much flexibility or “choice” the person has in expressing that orientation, which also forms a continuum).

I know this is a big "Duh!" moment to everyone here but it also might be validating to someone.

Take care guys,

m

jem_is_bi
Oct 3, 2007, 11:53 PM
I use to get Scientific American when it was more technically oriented.
I am happy with my position on the continuum.
I do move up and down somewhat. But that is ok, it does not make me sea-sick.

JEM

DiamondDog
Oct 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
Don't forget though some people simply are heterosexual or homosexual, it's not rare at all, and they don't have any desire to be with the opposite gender of their attractions.

I was talking to a gay friend tonight about how I'd given oral sex to a woman and he said how he couldn't even imagine doing that and how it would be disgusting to him.

I also do not prescribe to the thought that many gay/bi men do that says that all heterosexual men secretly want sex with other men but they just don't know it or they're closeted. :rolleyes:

shameless agitator
Oct 4, 2007, 12:44 AM
The article aknowledges that, DD. It also says they're incredibly rare. here's the quotation
I also find that fewer than 10 percent of subjects score as “pure” hetero*sexual or homosexual

darkeyes
Oct 4, 2007, 2:32 AM
wow..aint this an eye opener nun of us even thot of... shudn ridicule it tho cos it dus put anotha nail in the coffin of the bigots charter...

izzfan
Oct 4, 2007, 3:58 AM
Isn't this sort of similar to what Kinsey discovered about 50 years ago? ...Just a thought.

Izzfan :flag2:

shameless agitator
Oct 4, 2007, 2:20 PM
Yeah, but Kinsey's results have always been a little suspect because he didn't use the greatest research methods. Part of what makes research credible is if others can replicate your results, so this just serves to give more credence to what all of us already know.

parkwings
Oct 4, 2007, 2:44 PM
His findings may be true, but humans have 'herd' mentality, so they usually put themselves in one group or the other.
Bisexuals may be more aware, open, and accepting of thier sexual thoughts.

Does'nt mean bisexuals are 'better', just saying is all.

DiamondDog
Oct 4, 2007, 5:21 PM
Also don't forget, some people use gender/sexual orientation labels as a way of describing their politics.

I know lots of people who we would label or consider to be bi since they have and enjoy sex with both genders or have sexual desires for both genders even if they're not having sex with both; but they insist that they are gay or hetero.

I also know men who are homosexual who personally happen to hate the term gay since they see the label of gay as being too political, too middle/upper class, they don't believe in the idea of a gay "culture" or a gay "community" at all, they don't like the values and vapidness of a fake community/culture, they don't like gay politics, and they view the label of gay as a reflection of consumerism in our society.

They go by terms like homosexual, a faerie, a faggot, a vaginal virgin, g0y, or a man who simply happens to only love and be sexually attracted to his own gender only.

I wouldn't necessarily say that bisexual people are somehow more aware of their sexuality.

I think that most people in general are even if they just don't talk at all about it or keep it under wraps.