PDA

View Full Version : I have returned

Azrael
Sep 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
It was completely insane but actually somewhat fun. Spent as much time in College Park as was possible, chilling with my sister and her adorable scottish roommate :love:
Naturally, she's totally spoken for, but regardless, she's cool as hell and very caring. She used to work with autistic kids in Scotland. Amazing woman.
Aside from that, my Dad's 60th birthday bash went very well. I wasn't all that hot on the idea of sitting around getting loaded with my stepmother's family, so I cranked up the ipod and proceeded to do the prepwork. I love the kitchen, it gives me an excuse to be antisocial (and just a BIT mean:"You ever gonna finish that?" me- "you ever gonna stop distracting me?") when it suits me :tong:
Peeled and deveined 5 pounds of shrimp, which were skewered and grilled. The marinade came out nice. Soy sauce, honey, mustard powder and a bit of reisling.
I managed to get JUST enough web access to not go crazy. My little brothers found me on myspace, though (I knew private was a good idea). I'm gonna have to make a new page now and make the existing one my decoy page. Makes me feel shitty, but the way I look at it, I'm protecting them all from their own insecurities. I'm iffy with the kids finding out(which could snowball from there). My sisters get it, but they're a lot older. I'm not saying I won't eventually grow tired and drop this act, just not yet. Makes me feel like a pussy saying that. Makes me think "keep telling yourself that, closet-boy". Part of me thinks that i'm kinda hiding out. ALL my friends know, but only about half my family. The ones who don't know, I love to death. They didn't talk about that particular subject much THIS time. It helped that I was drunk about 70 percent of my time there. My Dad REALLY loosens up when he gets not plastered but a wee lit up. He'll start singing Irish folksongs or lapse into Wagner or something (lawyer by day, tenor by night, for real).
It was a little high stress. Nothing mean, just so HIGH ENERGY. I can't believe a family can be this hyper on so many different psychotropic chemicals :eek:
I took my last day there to myself. Loaded up my backpack, grabbed my dad's trenchcoat and went to the metro station in College Park.
Took the green line into DC. Got off at the National Archives initially. Checked out The Air and space Museum first. That was fuckin' tight as all hell. Went in front of I think the Trade Commission Building adjacent to the sculpture garden (got some NICE pix there) and an old man was explaining several HUGE signs about a Law firm somewhere in there. I bummed some homeless folks a few cigs and talked to them for a bit. They thought I was one of them cuz of my pack. I'm like "naw dude, I just take my life everywhere I go" :bigrin:
I found a nice cafe, had a sandwich and some tea, then began my trek to Pennsylvania avenue. Saw a dude juggling a bowling ball as well as other strange objects, got a pic of course.
I missed most of it, but there were still quite a few protesters at the Capital building, some with signs reading "Legal citizen working hard for 20 years now". Some protesting the war.
Made my way back to the subway with a few excursions along the way. Took about 100 pictures. Hooked onto the red line at Chinatown and went to union station for lunch. Found Punk Planet's last issue at the newsstand. Front cover reads "Now the fight is yours". Find it if you can, it has an awesome article called 'Gender fucking the media".
Took the train to Silver Spring, went to my Federal lawyer uncle's office, hung with him for dinner, and finally got back to my dad's, packed and went to bed.
Also, I got REALLY STONED at the beginning and end of this already sweet day. Nothing like ridin' the metro baked :tong:
The way I explained my need for a day like this was "if I don't take a day for me it ain't a vacation".
My Dad should be alright with his prostate thing. I'm cautiously optimistic, as ever.
I'm actually thinking of movin up there. Not immediately, but after I get some money saved. I could get around up there without a car, which I think is badass. Main reason is my Autistic little bro. He's at the point where he could use a more encouraging influence in his life. His mother came right out and said "The doctor didn't push for him to be on drugs, I did". NOTE- my Dad is great to this kid, but my Dad works like all the time. He was gonna do all the cooking for his own birthday cause his wife's lazy and I'm like "Dad, get the hell out of the kitchen and go crack a beer!" He obeyed. Anyway, my bro takes concerta, ritalin and RISPERDAL. I'm not saying the low grade stimulants aren't helping him. Really. But the most potent Dopamine blocker on the market? That's a bit much for a person who IS NOT PSYCHOTIC, his parents (mostly mother) just don't have enough patience. Outside of all this, is the fact that this boy, my brother Daniel is brilliant underneath it all. I really think so. Autistic, not stupid. I wanna be around him for two reasons. I want to get him as eduacted as possible about what it means to be what he is. Also, I want to get him as involved as I can in managing his own care. I'm not saying I wanna totally mold him in my image, but I wanna help him actualize his very real potential.
Even if he can't ever live by himself, or drive a car, he could still create art, he could help other kids deal with this kind of stuff, he could grow and develop as an intellectual being, he could do much if he was properly motivated.
Here's what lit a fire under my ass. I'm on the phone with him one night. I ask him what he wants to be. He said "Mom said I could be a cashier". This made my blood boil. I said, "Dan, you can be whatever YOU want to be". I asked him what the doctors tell him about why he has to take pills and stuff. He says that they just tell him he's sick. This broke my fuckin' heart to hear. So many people with neurological quirks (even ones like myself who are fairly educated on the subject) are marginalized, talked down to or otherwise insulted by the people trying to 'fix' us (I'm not convinced we're not just a little different and not broken.
Self advocacy is where it's at. Thank the deity that crazy people live in the age of the web so they can network and look out for one another.
I'll be damned if that kid ends up in a facility when his parents die. I don't know about the rest of my siblings, but I won't allow it.
That said, enjoy the pix, more are on the way, and thanks for all who were keeping tabs on me!!!

-berserk-feral-kitty

Skater Boy
Sep 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
Welcome back dude! :)

Azrael
Sep 20, 2007, 10:13 AM
and more...
yes, that is tape holding the frames together. An ipod was more important :bigrin:

HighEnergy
Sep 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Tom,
It'll take me a minute, but I have a guy who used to work for me that does advocacy for autistic kids. He's actually got the type that comes from the optic nerve hypoplasia and is blind. He worked for me at a company that does business to business telemarketing from home and we had a ton of folks with various handicaps working for us. But I digress. He's got a lot of resources that might be helpful to you. He is also extremely brilliant and has a masters degree in social work, but there's that little problem of appropriate behaviours/boundaries and impulse control that gets him in trouble in the sw setting. But he's a great example to folks like your idiot stepmother. I'll let you know when I find it.

but other than that: WELCOME BACK!

HighEnergy
Sep 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
He actually answered the phone and it didn't take a lifetime to get it from him. Wow! http://www.onhconsulting.com/

Azrael
Sep 20, 2007, 10:46 AM
He actually answered the phone and it didn't take a lifetime to get it from him. Wow! http://www.onhconsulting.com/

That is AWESOME. Thanks!!!

darkeyes
Sep 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
Scottish roomm8s r adorable by definition Az..we r luffly an huggly an dead yummie... not sure bout guy scottish room8s.. theya bit more hit n miss... but welcum back hun..u been sumwer?? tee hee
:tong:

MarieDelta
Sep 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
Welcome back honey,

Hit my myspace page with your new one when you get it up willya?

Take care.

Marie

Azure_Luna
Sep 20, 2007, 1:10 PM
You sound like a wonderful big brother. I have 2 children with autism, and things like what you describe just . . . UGH.

shameless agitator
Sep 20, 2007, 2:24 PM
Good to have ya back my man. Add me on your new profile too. Oh & check out the link I sent you. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I've worked with a few autistics over the years & yeah, they're being stupid. There's a lot you can teach an autistic kid to do.

anne27
Sep 20, 2007, 3:12 PM
Great to se you back and in good spirits, hon!

I admire your resolve to help out your brother. Having someone like you in his corner will make a lot of difference in his life!

Welcome back!

stormalong
Sep 20, 2007, 3:55 PM
concerta, ritalin and RISPERDAL.

It's just SOOOOO much easier than parenting.....

Skater Boy
Sep 20, 2007, 4:21 PM
Anyway, my bro takes concerta, ritalin and RISPERDAL.

I was on Risperidone (Risperdal) for a while. lets just say that it didn't agree with me. Or that I didn't agree with it.

My mother's professional opinion is that "no psychiatric drug should be prescribed for Autism alone". She said that in some more extreme cases, and when ADHD is also present, that Ritalin is prescibed. But over here Autism is not associated with any drugs.... although I know that Risperdal is FDA approved for Autism over there.

If Autism is his main symptom, I would try and persuade your mother to speak to his doctor. There should be regular reviews and consultations in place to test whether the drug is a help or a hinderance in your brother's particular case.

12voltman59
Sep 20, 2007, 5:39 PM
Glad you had a good time Az--welcome back

FalconAngel
Sep 21, 2007, 1:25 AM
Glad to see you back, Az.

mistymockingbird
Sep 21, 2007, 2:26 AM
Welcome back my dear. And since we're myspace buddies on the existing page, I expect to be so for the "real" page as well.

Muah

Tingly_Tickles
Sep 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
:kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :kiss::kiss::kiss:
OMG welcome back lovey catch me on yahoo sometime it's been forever and you are such a great older brother.

There is nothing wrong with you babe you are perfectly fine by me and as for meds bah only if you absolutely need them otherwise tlc is all you need.

I suffer from spells of depression but refuse to take meds because I don't really believe in that whole oh everyone needs meds if they have an illness thing some doctors just want your money and will prescribe anything to get it no matter what.

psychopathic juggalo's
luv ya muah!!!!!!!!!!!

onewhocares
Sep 21, 2007, 1:20 PM
Hey welcome back Az...you are a great brother.

Belle