PDA

View Full Version : rant about eharmony.ca and thier commericals

TashaSW
Sep 16, 2007, 4:41 PM
Soooooooo Im seeing all these commecials for "eharmony.ca"

They are now a canadian dating site too.

Still one problem.... they are STILL ANTI-GAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beside, I heard they aren't a very good site anyway lol a lot of people signed up to be matched with no one.

Oh well.

Has anyone actually met someone off this site??

gfofbiguy
Sep 16, 2007, 4:54 PM
I never used eharmony.com, but I used Yahoo.Personals and that is where I met my b/f, Bisexualnewbie. Worked for us, we're now a year and a half into our relationship and have been living together for almost a year now:bigrin: (He did tell me that he was bi before we met face-to-face, so I'd have an "out" he said. I'm glad I didn't use that as an "out"...! I wouldn't trade him for anyone)

TashaSW
Sep 16, 2007, 5:13 PM
I never used eharmony.com, but I used Yahoo.Personals and that is where I met my b/f, Bisexualnewbie. Worked for us, we're now a year and a half into our relationship and have been living together for almost a year now:bigrin: (He did tell me that he was bi before we met face-to-face, so I'd have an "out" he said. I'm glad I didn't use that as an "out"...! I wouldn't trade him for anyone)

How long were you on Yahoo Personals before you met him??
I had a acct on there for a year an no one ever contacted me so I closed it lol
You're lucky!

gfofbiguy
Sep 16, 2007, 5:18 PM
Well, all the guys that kept contacting me were weird/losers/just wanted hook-ups. I actually contacted him, and (you're going to laugh!) it was during my 7-day free trial! Yes, I feel very fortunate that it worked out the way it did for me and us...One of my friends actually was a member of several different dating sites and said she just had a blast just meeting people and going out and met her current significant other (of 4 years now) through one of those sites. I will ask her which ones she was a member of and which she liked best as well, if you'd like. Hopefully they have the same ones in Canada - or a variation...

Even though I am pretty shy, especially with meeting someone, I am very happy I contacted him myself. Did you contact anyone yourself? Even if you don't hit it off to date, you might end up with a new friend...

shameless agitator
Sep 16, 2007, 5:34 PM
Besides the fact that they don't do same sex matching, have you noticed that their ads never have mixed race couples? I actually used eharmony a couple years ago & it sucked. The matches they suggested for me were totally incompatible. They don't let you see how the prospective matches filled out that long ass survey, and when you first make contact you can only ask questions they've written & the answers are multiple choice. I don't recall exactly, but I think it was about a month you had to communicate like that before you were allowed to actually ask your own questions or say any thing that wasn't pre-scripted. They also had software designed to make sure you couldn't give each other contact information. If you put an email address or phone number in your message it wouldn't get delivered. If there are any dating sites out there worth the bother, I haven't found them yet.

HighEnergy
Sep 16, 2007, 10:05 PM
I did the profile thing for eharmony and it said there's not a person in a 60 mile radius for me. Granted, I did put Episcopalian in there, but I left off the part about ropes and floggers.... :eek:

12voltman59
Sep 17, 2007, 12:18 AM
They do not disclose in their ads in "secular" media that they are a big time "Christian" singles web matching site---

I always kind of get the heebie jeebies watching the folks who are purported to have been matched on the site---they are OK looking and all--but they do have a certain look about them that just bugs me for some reason.

Now there are ads running from other competing matching websites about how many people get rejected by EHarmony---

It is one thing if they are a Christian matchmakig site--quite another that they are and do not provide full disclosure of that fact in their advertising in non-religious media.

EHarmony is certainly not for anyone but folks on the "straight and narrow."

TaylorMade
Sep 17, 2007, 12:22 AM
My only bone to pick is they don't do mixed race....

Many of the more reliable ways to meet same sex attracted people are free, it seems, through Craiglist or community mixers or some such.

Saves me money to spend on more ... erm, important things. :tongue:

You've already posted about E-harmony, Tash.

Let.It. Go.

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Sep 17, 2007, 12:33 AM
I think they actually do have matching sites for those wishing to become part of a mixed raced couple--I seem to having recieved some emails about them at one point but I don't recall what they were called---

It does also seem that EHarmony--based on their commercials---tends to match white to white, black to black, Asian to Asian, etc.--

To have mixed race or ethnic couples, like same gender couples probably does not fit into the good doctor's world view.

TashaSW
Sep 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
My only bone to pick is they don't do mixed race....

Many of the more reliable ways to meet same sex attracted people are free, it seems, through Craiglist or community mixers or some such.

Saves me money to spend on more ... erm, important things. :tongue:

You've already posted about E-harmony, Tash.

Let.It. Go.

*Taylor*

Ive seen the commericals they have mixed "couples" although Im not sure if they REALLY are couples cause sometimes they don't seem interested lol

But then most commiercals people say anything to lure you to thier product or website.

I was talking about E-Harmony.COM before.... this was CA :) lol
and Im sorry for repeating the subject..... :(
OKCupid is better tho.....
Craiglist has odd people on it. hehe

bearisbare
Sep 17, 2007, 1:27 AM
I seem to get at least a couple of emails a day from eharmony (don't know and don't care if it's .com or .ca) -- or some spammer purporting to be them. They all, interestingly, are dated in the year 2038.

TashaSW
Sep 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
lol I wonder if they WILL still be in exist by 2038 !! hehe

I never got any spam from them... just seen to much of the commericals.

I met my ex on "match.com" tho back in 2002..... back then Match.com was a much better website.
I had a ad on there for awhile after my ex and I split in 2006 but I didn't pay.
I kept getting matches from people who didn't really read my profile. The site has turned crappy now so I canceled my acct.

biChris_m
Sep 17, 2007, 8:38 PM
[QUOTE=12voltman59;78085]

It does also seem that EHarmony--based on their commercials---tends to match white to white, black to black, Asian to Asian, etc.--

Actually, I'm asian and I've received several non-Asian matches. Funny thing is, the asian women I'm matched with don't even give me a chance. I've been on dates with caucasian women and I'm communicating with one Indian woman. It depends on your stated preference. For me, race is not important at all so I get several potential matches everyday. It could also be where you're located. There are a lot more women in the bay area -- thus, a lot more potential mataches.:bigrin:

12voltman59
Sep 18, 2007, 1:22 AM
[QUOTE=12voltman59;78085]

Actually, I'm asian and I've received several non-Asian matches. Funny thing is, the asian women I'm matched with don't even give me a chance. I've been on dates with caucasian women and I'm communicating with one Indian woman. It depends on your stated preference. For me, race is not important at all so I get several potential matches everyday. It could also be where you're located. There are a lot more women in the bay area -- thus, a lot more potential mataches.:bigrin:

As I did say--based on the commercials--in all of the commercials of EHarmony that I have seen--the couples they show are of the same age, race, ethnicity, etc.--I guess they show that to stress the notion that they do such a great job of matching singles by likes and their much vaunted personality profile---