PDA

View Full Version : go the other way?

rmorti
Sep 15, 2007, 5:41 AM
I don't know if anyone has asked this so if they have then I apologise if they have, just a point of interest. Everyone says about how they were straight etc then found out they were bi later, anyone know if it can go the other way too?
So someone who grew up thinking the terms they were gay and then boom, one day they started to fancie girls, even so much that they...well sort of turned straight?
I understnad you dont "turn" anything and that they must of generally been bisexual just with a preference to one sex at first but just wondering if it can ever happen the other way. If so, reckon they struggle with essentially coming out as bi/straight if its a drastic change? just an interesting thought.

DiamondDog
Sep 15, 2007, 5:58 AM
This can happen.

I have bi friends who once identified as "gay" and now they're bi, since they discovered this about themselves.

Some personally regret not marrying women and that they married men instead.

The director of the movie about Virginia Woolf called 'The Hours' Stephen Daldry, considers himself to be "gay" yet he's married to a woman and has a kid.

Lots of this has to do with politics and people needing the dichotomy and comfort of being only either gay or hetero, when in reality they're neither.

shameless agitator
Sep 15, 2007, 6:27 AM
Well said DD

rmorti
Sep 16, 2007, 8:17 AM
I wonder if they have a problem coming out to there friends, Gay or straight, and even so, sort of re-coming out to their parents lol. It would deffinetly be an interesting thing to go through.

funkycat36
Sep 16, 2007, 1:38 PM
hi. Well I thought I was straight til I was 27, then I thought I was a lesbian til I was 36 and now I am slowly accepting that I am bi.

In my experience it is much harder to change how you identify for the second time. I think it should be easier but I have found it much more painful as I would personally rather be a lesbian.

Gradually I am allowing myself to feel things for both men and women, who knows what the outcome will be. My girlfriend has been fantastic and very supportive but the deal is that I can think about men but not act on these feelings.

Changing how you view yourself and how you fit into the world is always hard but when you have struggled to get people to accept you as gay it then becomes a right pain in the arse to start thinking that you might have made a mistake.

parkwings
Sep 17, 2007, 3:35 AM
Yep, I hear ya!

Germanicus
Sep 18, 2007, 4:41 PM
This can happen.

I have bi friends who once identified as "gay" and now they're bi, since they discovered this about themselves.

Some personally regret not marrying women and that they married men instead.

The director of the movie about Virginia Woolf called 'The Hours' Stephen Daldry, considers himself to be "gay" yet he's married to a woman and has a kid.

Lots of this has to do with politics and people needing the dichotomy and comfort of being only either gay or hetero, when in reality they're neither.

Its a cliche that "nature abhors a vacuum", but I think its the human mind which abhors a vacuum, or any sort of ambiguity. I think its part of human nature to express preference for one thing over another and to want to belong to something which is larger than one's self. Perhaps there are more people in the gay and lesbian community who feel bisexual than we know of and perhaps they suppress these feelings as much as straight people do because they feel the need to belong to a community which is clearly identifiable and has clear "values", whilst they feel that the bi "community" isnt and doesn't.