PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like just getting rid of nearly everything you own??

TashaSW
Sep 12, 2007, 1:40 PM
Have you ever felt the need to just get rid of everything you own.

A lot you keep just cause certain people think you have to even tho you've long ago lost interest in it.... but you keep it, just so those certain people can't nag you about it.

What if your sitting in a room surrounded by things, your eyeing each object and in your min saying "junk, toss, sell on ebay.... toss, junk....." and so on.

What about a obession you had in a collection from childhood and teen-years (obession where you HAD to have everything that goes with it and no one was allowed to touch it either) ..... then now you just want nothing to do with it. You want the stuff gone gone gone!!

Why is it you can't get rid of something BUT if you "accidently" broke it, then you can get rid of it easily. (even if it could be glued back on but your not interested)

What is the point of owning things you never use.
Why do I have things in my house Ive had for years..... knowing full well I never used them for years??

Suddenly things just don't seem worth keeping anymore.... and I realize I just really need a few things. Things I actually use.

I looked up on Ebay to see how much my "She-Ra! Princess of Power" collection is worth (all still in package) .... barely worth anything. I mean She-ra alone is only worth like 10.00 on Ebay. Theres only 2 rare she-ra figurines that are worth over 100. and I don't have those 2.
--- Im thinking just openng them from thier box, putting them all in a much smaller box and just store it away. (afterall, ebay they are still worth 10.00 packaged or not. lol depends on their conditions actually... like hair is clean, if paint rubbed off...etc)

Ah well.... for the next few days Im just gonna "deep clean" things....
I did that with my rose collection last month and let me tell you, it looks sooo much better now :) lol

Tasha

MarieDelta
Sep 12, 2007, 1:57 PM
In a word - Yes.

There are days when I just feel like taking off with nothing but the clothes on my back. Escaping off somewhere to live a new life.

But then I strat thinking, what about clothes , rent , food, etc. That usually brings me back to reality.

If people are bugging you about keeping certain items maybe they need to "take care" of those items for you?

for example:
"I'm sorry Joe, I think I'm just to clumsy(or whatever) to have this lovely 6ft tall plaster of paris parrot(insert appropriate item here), in my house/apartment, could you take care of it for me for a while?" :tongue:

I dunno it could work, maybe??

Anyhow that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Marie

TashaSW
Sep 12, 2007, 2:04 PM
lol ya.

When my mom was all over me about how I "better not" get rid of one of my collection. (I just outgrew it... I didn't care for it anymore). I did say "Ok, why don't YOU hold on to it for me?"
Her reply? "I have no room for it, its yours not mine."

Ugh. lol

Anyway..... Im haveing the moment today. lol
I just see no reason to have 600 small things in my townhouse when I only use some of them. lol

Plus my dad did say if I were to move back to Ontario... I wouldn't be able to take everything anyway. I would really have to get rid of everything except those I really need (bed, desk, clothes, a couple books....etc) and items that hold a special place in my heart :) :)
Maybe thats his way of saying he'll pay for it (movers) but hes not paying to move "everything" cause I do own to much stuff. lol

So I think doing period clean ups of things I don't need will really help... cause then by teh time I find a place to move to... Im not in a rush which is bad.
When in a rush you can get rid of things you didn't want to get rid of and end up taking things you didn't want to take. lol

Tasha

Skater Boy
Sep 12, 2007, 2:26 PM
In theory, material possessions are insignificant, and one should aim to only own the ESSENTIAL items that one cannot live without.

In practise, most of us fill our lives with junk and clutter that does little for us but waste our money and tie us down.

Personally, I'd like to be somewhere in between... just have the essentials, plus a few extra bits and bobs that either make my life easier, or make my life happier.

So... perhaps an empty room... with nothing but a Le Corbusier chaise-longue and a Bang & Olufsen hi-fi.

That would be good. :bigrin:

shameless agitator
Sep 12, 2007, 3:43 PM
I feel ya Tasha (I wish):tong: I frequently have the urge to divest myself of worldly posessions. I move frequently, which helps this concept, cause I always go through my stuff and decide what's worth the effort of taking with me. I'm also making it part of my new year's ritual to get rid of unnecessary clutter. It started with another ritual where we would write down all the things (traits, patterns, etc.) from the previous year you wanted out of your life & then burn them. I've decided to add physical belongings to the ritual. Whether I destroy them or not I don't know yet.

the mage
Sep 12, 2007, 4:45 PM
Ya, being highly mobile reduces clutter.
I've lived at 35 different addresses. need I say more...

jem_is_bi
Sep 12, 2007, 4:59 PM
If you really want to know exactly what material possessions are absolutely necessary, take a backpacking trip across a mountain range for a few days. By the end of the trip you will be amazed at how little you really need to sustain life and enjoy the trip.

JEM

TashaSW
Sep 12, 2007, 5:00 PM
Personally I think I have WAY to much as a single person living alone.
Sometime's it looks like more than 1 person lives here just cause of all the things lol

Think of it this way... townhouse with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Its big and roomy. 3 people (man, woman and a 3 year old) lived here before I did. (Im the second owner)
I own MORE than the last owners did!! Yikes! lol

Seriously need to downsize :)

Herbwoman39
Sep 12, 2007, 5:19 PM
Here's a thought! See if there's an eBay store near you. Gather up all the stuff and take it over. They'll take a percentage of the sales, you'll get a little pocket money and it will all be out of your hair.

No fuss, no muss.

TashaSW
Sep 12, 2007, 5:39 PM
Here's a thought! See if there's an eBay store near you. Gather up all the stuff and take it over. They'll take a percentage of the sales, you'll get a little pocket money and it will all be out of your hair.

No fuss, no muss.

You shall be punished for reminding me of "The 40 Year Old Virgin" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most hated movie on earth! (ok, I hated it).
*goes to Facebook and looks at some wicked naughty gifts*

Seriously.... Ive never seen a eBay store in canada... I think its a USA thing only ??

shameless agitator
Sep 12, 2007, 7:27 PM
For anything that's still usable, I'm partial to donating it to thrift stores that benefit homeless shelters or the shelters themselves. If you're looking to get anything out of it financially, the donation is tax deductible, at least in the U.S. Don't know about Canada

gfofbiguy
Sep 12, 2007, 7:45 PM
I've moved 8 times in the past 10 years...LOL, I get rid of a LOT of stuff that way myself. :bigrin: Like shameless agitator said, I give away usable things (clothing, small appliances - mixer, blender, toasters - and old dishes, etc.) to usually Safe House, an abused women's shelter, as they helped me quite a bit when I had to leave my ex-husband. But, if not to them, I would donate to Good Will, Salvation Army, Purple Heart or any other group of the like.

folk2punk
Sep 12, 2007, 8:40 PM
Just bought a house, which made me downsize a lot. but i dont think it was enough. my friends (straight, gay and all inbetweens) and I have an ongoing (re-occurring) talk about how we need to let go of all material goods, and live on a commune, and who would do what job on said commune. Chef, basketweaver, baby-sitter, minstrel.... its a nice fantasy, but I think we'd get tired of it.

tallkerri
Sep 13, 2007, 12:16 AM
Lighter fluid, matches, marshmallows....'nuff said :tongue:

TashaSW
Sep 13, 2007, 1:03 AM
lol ya.. burn everything and just start over hehe

-- I have a roasting pan that I bought in 2003 and its only been used once in 2005.

-- Theres lace curtains that hasn't seen the light of day since they were packed in 2002 when I moved to BC from Ontario. (where they hung over the windows)

Theres countless of other things that should never have been bought in the first place lol

smokey
Sep 13, 2007, 7:51 AM
I have done it a few times now and if I had to i could again. the things I would be the hardest to part with are my books, my music and my mac.

warmpuppy
Sep 13, 2007, 10:03 AM
Naw, I need my stuff. My stuff defines me.

I've got so much stuff that some of it hides my other stuff. I need a bigger house.

smokey
Sep 13, 2007, 3:29 PM
I define me not my things.

jamiehue
Sep 13, 2007, 8:40 PM
Im going to wear that oneday.....

TashaSW
Sep 13, 2007, 9:57 PM
Im going to wear that oneday.....

LOL YA!!!! I actually have this sweater jacket thing that I haven't worn since 2003.... every time I go "Ok, Im gonna get rid of it"
A voice "no wait... I MIGHT wear it!!!" lol

This is the same sweater jacket my sister keeps bothering me to have. Maybe I should just give it to her and end this repeated coverstation:
"Can I have it?!?!"
"No!"
"But but you never wear it"
"I might.....somday"
"Suuuuuuure you will...." lol

james1715
Sep 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
Im surprised someone said that their possessions define them...I was going to say that. They build up energy and become a controlling force on you. They begin to define who you are, they decide how you act. Your abercrombie shirt says something about you, your car says something, your designer sunglasses, your magazine collection, baseball cards, speakers you dont use, etc.

Get rid of it. Ive made thousands just getting rid of crap I dont want. Some of it is fun stuff and some is cool, whatever. If it doesnt serve a purpose it is gone! I feel the closer I get to essentials I will be free.

A word on chaos too, if you walk into a room and see more things than you can count in a second, it tends to install a feeling of chaos in the mind. I like my room because it is blank, a desk, a computer, a couch. I go downstairs to my mom, who has plenty of chaos, and I see piles and piles, attic.....piles and piles....basement, piles and piles. I cant stand it. You cant live in chaos, keep some things but keep the blood flowing through your abode.