PDA

View Full Version : sexuality awareness on tv

rmorti
Sep 10, 2007, 2:42 PM
Its pretty easy to see society is based on the "straight" side of life, whether it be adverts, music etc, its the popular mainstream.
Then there is an uprising of gay representation (well in the uk) now due to more and more acceptance and generaly people seeing it as the same as the straight culture. Of course many people complain that sexuality isn't represented fairly, and that straightness is the dominant force.
My point is I was watching Hollyoaks (Im not sure if it reaches outside the uk), this is a show that is on at 6:30pm for half an hour monday to friday and is aimed at teenagers. They're currently running a story about a lad called Craig who is engaged to his misses and is also sleeping with his gay friend on the quiet. He loves them both and today was the climax, his gay friend text her to come upstairs from the party whilst they were getting busy from craigs phone and he was caught pants down with his gay friend. I find it brilliant the fact they are adressing homosexuality and also bisexuality to an audiance that needs guidance so much! Although they never use the word "bisexual" its obvious craig truely loves them both and gets his "kicks" from both. Anyway, thought be nice to hear representation of all levels of sexuality in a prime time, well known tv show.

DiamondDog
Sep 10, 2007, 3:21 PM
lmao
what a cliche and a bad stereotype!

It would have been a lot better if his boyfriend had tied him up, blindfolded him, and they had both double teamed him.

Skater Boy
Sep 10, 2007, 3:21 PM
He loves them both and today was the climax, his gay friend text her to come upstairs from the party whilst they were getting busy from craigs phone and he was caught pants down with his gay friend. I find it brilliant the fact they are adressing homosexuality and also bisexuality to an audiance that needs guidance so much! Although they never use the word "bisexual" its obvious craig truely loves them both and gets his "kicks" from both.

That DOESN'T sound like a very positive portrayal of Bisexuality to me. I mean, some guy keeping it secret and cheating on his girlfriend... Tbh... the Bisexual community could do WITHOUT representations like that IMHO. :2cents:

Or maybe my ideals of honesty and fidelity are just unrealistic. Or maybe they were trying to preach some sort of morality message.

Feel free to disagree if you think that "ANY publicity is GOOD publicity".

gfofbiguy
Sep 10, 2007, 3:29 PM
They do show Hollyoaks here in the US on BBC America, although I haven't watched it. I have to agree with Skater Boy about the character keeping his orientation secret and cheating on his girlfriend - that seems like a representation/stereotype that the Bisexual community could do without...I prefer the honesty and communication that we have in my own relationship, TBH. (I don't think ANY publicity is GOOD publicity in this regard...just shows bisexuals in a bad light and society needs to get away from those myths and stereotypes).

softfruit
Sep 10, 2007, 3:44 PM
Infidelity does seem to be the only way TV producers think you can get bisexuality across in a prime-time programme.

Except on the bi-tastic Torchwood, of course - five bisexuals in search of a place that sells really sturdy beds :D

rmorti
Sep 10, 2007, 4:11 PM
I can see that any pub is good pub as a way to see it, at least they showed that it exsists, I bet some people dont even believe there is a such a thing, that its just lying. Its a start tho. the main thing that hit me really is the fact they are dealing with homosexuality and bisexuality in some way, most tv shows just ignore the idea, and for something thats shown to teenagers at that time I think its at least a brave step to do something towrads it? Dont get me wrong, sure it may make Bi's looked "bad" but I just think its good that they're are actualy tackling the subjecty itself, even if its in the wrong way. Of course there at bi people out there who no doubt are like that, they prefer to live the straight life and keep the othe side under wraps, I can see some of u dnt agree with that which again its all opinion but anyway.
To be honest, I think they took that course of Bi person too because it is a show, they need some form of gripping story for the views, and how else can you build up to being caught seen then the affair kind of thing. then again it may just be there views on bisexuals...
I just thought it was nice that they actualy dared to touch the subject at all to begin with and show to teenagers it exsists, they are not alone and that tv is making it public in some way. I feel that the way they delt with it is because bisexuality understanding is still "young" its been around of course, but most people thought it was just gay/straight etc, maybe as time goes on there will be a similar show in the future where they show it in a different light as the world gains more understanding on the subject.

shameless agitator
Sep 10, 2007, 4:40 PM
If you want a teen show that handles orientation issues well, check out a Canadian series called Degrassi