PDA

View Full Version : Signature dilemma

coyotedude
Sep 9, 2007, 3:06 AM
I need help. As much as I loved my quote from Pablo Casals:

"The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?"

I want to freshen up my signature.

I tried another of my favorite quotes (attributed to Jesse Jackson):

"Text, without context, is pretext"

but it just feels kinda preachy and self-righteous as a signature.

I want something fun, fun, fun! Any suggestions, anyone?

(Yes, I'm being lazy by asking for ideas. I'm a coyote - whaddya expect?)

Peace

MarieDelta
Sep 9, 2007, 8:21 AM
Coyote,

Don't know what type of mood you are in here are some suggestions-

For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
H. L. Mencken

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
H. L. Mencken

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of truth--that the error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is cured of one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one.
H. L. Mencken

We are here and it is now. Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine.
H. L. Mencken

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken, Prejudices: Second Series, 1920

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Seuss

“A person's a person, no matter how small.”
Dr. Seuss

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
Dr. Seuss

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
Dr. Seuss

“My alphabet starts with this letter called yuzz. It's the letter I use to spell yuzz-a-ma-tuzz. You'll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond 'Z' and start poking around!”
Dr. Seuss

And here is where I found the HL Mencken quotes, you can search by subject there, find a quote you like and, boom it is yours :)

http://www.quotationspage.com/

Marie

the mage
Sep 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

kitten
Sep 9, 2007, 2:35 PM
Chuck Jones said, "Wile E. is my reality, Bugs Bunny is my goal."

shameless agitator
Sep 9, 2007, 6:09 PM
Wow Marie, Seuss and Menken. I think I'm in love ; ) Here'r another Seuss for ya "No kind of sneetch is the best on the beaches". "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" Eleanor Roosevelt "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" Maggie Kuhn "Politicians and diapers need to be changed frequently, often for the same reason" Mark Twain "It ain't the parts of the bible I don't understand that bothers me. It's the parts I do" Mark Twain

AdamKadmon43
Sep 9, 2007, 7:45 PM
I just get drunk and make up crap.

(see below).

deeTM
Sep 9, 2007, 10:55 PM
I like this one...

"Everything I ever needed to know, I learned in kindergarten."

Don't remember the author tho.

coyotedude
Sep 10, 2007, 3:16 AM
Thank you all - love some of these! Got my mind working a little bit, too....

Anyone read Shel Silverstein? Wonder if I can get away with some poetry of his....

shameless agitator
Sep 10, 2007, 3:56 AM
Would help if we had an idea what you were after. You want political? Inspirational? Funny? Serious? What?

kitten
Sep 10, 2007, 8:09 AM
Love Shel Silverstein! He is sooo funny and clever. I will get my collection out tonight and look through them.

MarieDelta
Sep 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
Wow I didn't realize that I loved so much of Shel's stuff...

He wrote "A Boy Named Sue" and "Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout (Would Not Take The Garbage Out)" and "The Smoke Off" (a tale of a contest to determine who could roll—or smoke—marijuana joints faster)

Damn I practically grew up on Shel Silverstein, never knew who that was...

Thanks guys, you learn something new everyday..

Marie

bookworm
Sep 10, 2007, 1:57 PM
"I'll get down on my knees when you get down on your elbows."

Sorry, had to share that, but it seems this could apply to so many things...

MarieDelta
Sep 10, 2007, 7:20 PM
Here's awhole brace of quotes about sex:

It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good servants but bad masters.
Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC)

Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have. It's much sexier than any body part.
Aimee Mullins, Oprah Magazine, May 2004

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Any piece of clothing can be sexy with a quietly passionate woman inside it.
Anonymous, O Magazine, The Shy Girl's Guide to Sex, February 2003

Instead of fulfilling the promise of infinite orgasmic bliss, sex in the America of the feminine mystique is becoming a strangely joyless national compulsion, if not a contemptuous mockery.
Betty Friedan (1921 - 2006)

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.
Billy Crystal (1947 - )

Mortal lovers must not try to remain at the first step; for lasting passion is the dream of a harlot and from it we wake in despair.
C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963), 'The Pilgrim's Regress'

It's just human. We all have the jungle inside of us. We all have wants and needs and desires, strange as they may seem. If you stop to think about it, we're all pretty creative, cooking up all these fantasies. it's like a kind of poetry.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Mister Sandman, 1994

I'm too shy to express my sexual needs except over the phone to people I don't know.
Garry Shandling (1949 - )

I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
George Burns (1896 - 1996)

Sexually,we are all competing for the same seat on the bus and the thing that holds it together is the tightly held conceit that we are all sexual gods. How can I believe in my own uniqueness when there's a cat out there exactly the same as me?
Jeff Melvoin, Northern Exposure, Altered Egos, 1993

A man can sleep around, no questions asked, but if a woman makes nineteen or twenty mistakes she's a tramp.
Joan Rivers (1935 - )

In America sex is an obsession, in other parts of the world it is a fact.
Marlene Dietrich (1901 - 1992)

Does it really matter what these affectionate people do-- so long as they don’t do it in the streets and frighten the horses!
Mrs. Patrick Campbell

One thing I've learned in all these years is not to make love when you really don't feel it; there's probably nothing worse you can do to yourself than that.
Norman Mailer (1923 - )

Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
R. D. Laing

But seduction isn’t making someone do what they don’t want to do. Seduction is enticing someone into doing what they secretly want to do already.
Waiter Rant, Waiter Rant weblog, 11-29-05

I know nothing about sex because I was always married.
Zsa Zsa Gabor (1919 - )

snipped
Sep 10, 2007, 7:34 PM
You can soar with the eagles if you want, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

The problem with people who design things to be completely foolproof is underestimating the ingenuity of complete fools.

Murphy was an optomist.

Neurotics build castles in the sky. Psychotics live in them. Psychiatrists collect the rent.