PDA

View Full Version : I'm writing/directing a Film short about Bisexuals.Any Tips?

Promising Galahad
Sep 6, 2007, 4:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I am working on some film shorts this semester. They always say write about what you know about, so I am looking to do a short on bisexuals.I want to do a short film that will educate people and put to rest many of the sterotypes and myths associated with bisexuals.I was even thinking if I find something really good I may even decide to save it for a feature length film.

I was curious if there are any writers or just anyone who could give me advice or tell me what you as a bisexual would like to see in a film about bisexuals.Often we are portayed as being confused or unfaithful. (Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct comes to mind). I figure I need my main character to be bisexual and bring up issues that involve us. I want this to be a love story so its gonna be a tad tricky. I have no ideas other than what I have mentioned right now.I am in the early stages of brainstorming and was looking for inspiration/ideas. Any suggestions?

Azrael
Sep 6, 2007, 4:47 PM
Just write about real people, dude.
I'm a little slammed right now but I have a few ideas u might like. Get bakk 2 u soon w/it.

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 4:53 PM
I would try and proove a few "bisexual myths" wrong (if you can do so in a natural and entertaining way), whilst maintaining the integrity of the plot and trying to avoid unintentional cliches.

There was a thread (or possibly several) on exactly what those "myths" are not so long ago...

And it might also help to search through the old threads on here and use some of the issues and experiences posted as research material to develop your ideas and themes.

Promising Galahad
Sep 6, 2007, 5:30 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I was the one who started the thread "Debunking Bisexual Myths". I am actually using that as an outline. I want to keep it simple. A guy getting out of a relationship with another guy and dating a woman or vice versa. I want it to be real and it would be great if I could do it as a light romantic comedy. Nothing definite.Still deciding.Thanks again!!!

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 5:32 PM
Would you be willing and able to upload this somehow when its finished? perhaps Youtube or another file hosting site? Just so that we can all see the finished result...

Promising Galahad
Sep 6, 2007, 5:47 PM
Hell yeah! I want alot of people to see this once I am finished with it. Maybe I can debut it here at bisexual.com first.

Sarasvati
Sep 6, 2007, 6:47 PM
I think it would be a struggle to portray a lead character whose major characteristic is his/her bisexuality in an honourable light.

Monogamy, fidelity, marriage are the standard bearers of honour in our cultures and as such bisexuality is always likely to be at odds.

I think your lead character needs to have some other feature in his life which illustrates his honourability, eg., showing courage, defending the weak, upholding liberty.

Alternatively you can approach things in a direct French way and attack those aforementioned ideals, by provoking in the audience a fear of their own repressed sexuality - by making the characters exceptionally enticing.

Possibly worth reading Moll Flanders

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 7:25 PM
Monogamy, fidelity, marriage are the standard bearers of honour in our cultures and as such bisexuality is always likely to be at odds.

I think your lead character needs to have some other feature in his life which illustrates his honourability, eg., showing courage, defending the weak, upholding liberty.

Agreed about the "other feature" in the lead character's life. A lead character who is purely and solely a bisexual animal, may not make for good mainstream viewing.

However, regarding the monogamy: it IS possible for your lead character to be Bisexual AND monogamous... perhaps this is the antithesis of one of the "myths" we were talking about. As for marriage, perhaps the issues surrounding bisexual marriage in particular could make for interesting viewing, and possibly even be a main theme. It seems to me that there's a certain amount of prurience and promiscuity associated with bisexuality, so never underestimate the power that "love" as opposed to "lust" could potentially play in your story.

Promising Galahad
Sep 6, 2007, 7:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe I am misreading you, but I want this to be rather simple. More character driven than plot driven. Maybe a guy and a girl really have a connection and want to get to know each other. On their first date, the guy mentions his last boyfriend and we then ease into his bisexuality. I have always made my bisexuality clear on the first date.ALWAYS.I think the girl could have some reservations and he could then bring up the myths and basically debunk them. hell, the entire short could take place in either a car or a restaraunt. They could spend half the film discussing this. I think the strong,believable characters will grab the audiences attention. Mayeb this girl really like this guy but can't get passed the bisexuality part. She really makes an effort and slowly begins to see where he is coming from. I like how the girl could basically be the one the audience rleates to because they,like her have reservations about the sterotypes that come along with the bisexual label.

I think the main character should be confident and starigh forward with the facts and answering the questions.Maybe he has been single for 2 years and has not had sex at all. Maybe he thought things were good with his boyfriend that he has just become slightly bitter.Not really wanting to date in fear of getting hurt.Maybe the ex boyfriend was gay and I can throw in a little biphobia in the gay community while I am at it.

I want this to be personal and a little bit of a commentary on my part. I am sort of pissed by the way we are portrayed so I feel no guilt in showing homosexuals as being no different than the homophobes. So, I think I can make this simple and get my points across without getting to too deep in plot. Its basically 2 people on a date or just having a talk. By the way, I am making this up as I go. I am just ranting but this is sort of how I see it. What do you think?

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 8:15 PM
Mmm, yeah, I suppose. Just be careful you don't turn the film into a thinly veiled rant about biphobia if you're not having much of a plot. Its gotta be believable, rather than blatantly scripted. If you want the Bisexual guy to shine, then be sure to make him seem the honest and honorable one... without him trying too hard. Just natural.

the mage
Sep 6, 2007, 8:21 PM
If you want a real challenge try doing a film on an old bisexual living single and tormented in this driven by beauty and youth world retelling his or her attempts to make potential partners understand that he is and always will be Bi. not some sort of changeling.

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 8:32 PM
Contrast might be useful too, btw. for example, if you included one other character... perhaps a heterosexual male, who may also have an interest in the female. then they all can play the age old "Lets You And Him Fight" game ( http://www.ericberne.com/games/games_people_play_LYAHF.htm ) except on a moral, spiritual and intellectual level (rather than phsyical), and subtly executed. Obviously, in the end, the "good guy" gets the girl. :cool: Just an idea.

Sarasvati
Sep 6, 2007, 9:06 PM
Sounds like you want to do an autobiography PG.

I think it would be a disappointment if you used the film as an opportunity to expose some homosexual intolerance - they don't need the abuse.

To Skater, yes a bisexual person can be monogamous but his/her bisexuality would have to be suppressed and as such is practically irrelevant. It would be a meaningless way to portray bisexuality in a film.

DiamondDog
Sep 7, 2007, 8:23 AM
Put in some affluent vapid and nihilistic white youthful and pretty coke heads from Los Angeles. ;)

TaylorMade
Sep 7, 2007, 8:42 AM
Can we have at least one "50's health film"-looking scene warning of the "danger" of bisexual men? PWWEESE? http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sad0025.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

*Taylor*

Herbwoman39
Sep 7, 2007, 1:09 PM
To Skater, yes a bisexual person can be monogamous but his/her bisexuality would have to be suppressed and as such is practically irrelevant. It would be a meaningless way to portray bisexuality in a film.

I disagree. Serial monogamy is a perfectly valid form of bisexuality. The main character could have been monogamous with his previous boyfriend and they broke up for ANY other reason besides the main char's sexuality.

I'm wondering, too, if the plot isn't a little thin. Try showing your main char interacting at work or someplace else too. Preferably a "normal" job that anyone would be doing or in a regular setting where anyone would be.

Good luck on the film and keep us apprised.

Promising Galahad
Sep 7, 2007, 3:22 PM
Not an autobiography. I just feel I have alot of personal stuff to offer. To be clear, no its not gonna be anti gay at all. I appologize if I lead you to think that.

Thats why I am brainstorming and trying to open a dialogue here. I am curious to hear what YOU as a Bisexual would like to see. If you wanted to take someone to see a movie and show an honest portrayal of bisexuals and what issues to cover, what would they be. I'm listening. Thanks again everyone!

Sarasvati
Sep 7, 2007, 3:35 PM
Hello Herbwoman,

I did not say a bisexual person could not have a valid monogamous relationship or a series of them. I said clearly a "bisexual person can be monogamous".

Nevertheless, whether a monogamous relationship is one of a series of them or the only one, the sexuality of the bisexual partner, during that monogamous relationship, would have to be suppressed.

And as such my former point holds in the context of a film/story.

bookworm
Sep 7, 2007, 4:03 PM
Having spent 20+ years in the biz, some thoughts--

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Get In, Get Out. Keep your scenes and messages short. No one wants to hear a windbag diatribe. We Get It!

Always simplicity! Real life is what it is, and the best storyteller. Trust me, your audience will understand. No university courses needed.

Please share your work with us!

Salut!

Promising Galahad
Sep 7, 2007, 4:42 PM
Hey, Thanks for the advice! I agree. I want it to be simple but I also want to do justice to us Bisexuals! Thanks again!

welickit
Sep 7, 2007, 6:54 PM
We tend to wonder why you are doing this? You don't know where to begin, you don't even write a profile that might give a hint about what talent you might have. The whole idea seems a bit scattered to us. No offense intended but start with the small stuff before you reach for the stars. Crawl before you try to walk.

Promising Galahad
Sep 8, 2007, 10:58 AM
You say we. Are you speaking for the entire board here? Just asking.

I thought it was a harmless honest question. I am a filmmaker who has done a few video shorts. I am trying to learn my craft so I am writing shorts and shooting them. I have also been networking and volunteer on my spare time and a local cable access station. I am basically taking advantage of alot of equipment and software I have at my disposal.Alot of film students either have to rent or know someone who has equipment to use.All that plus I am applying for various grants that will actually give me a budget to do something larger scale down the road.

I didn;t know I had to give my entire resume just to ask a simple question. Like I have said in every post here, I am in the early stages.I am brainstorming trying to get ideas. I am open to anyone's advice and suggestions. The idea IS SCATTERED. Like I have said and will say yet again I have no premise,plot, or direction as of yet. I am throwing out thoughts looking for feedback. If you have anything to offer I would love to hear it.Crawl before you walk? Been doing it, thank you very much.

DuskTillDawn
Sep 8, 2007, 4:06 PM
Hello Herbwoman,

I did not say a bisexual person could not have a valid monogamous relationship or a series of them. I said clearly a "bisexual person can be monogamous".

Nevertheless, whether a monogamous relationship is one of a series of them or the only one, the sexuality of the bisexual partner, during that monogamous relationship, would have to be suppressed.

And as such my former point holds in the context of a film/story.

Hi, Id just like to be clear about 1 little point here because im not sure im getting it. Are you saying that a bisexual cannot be in a monogamous relationship without supressing part of thier sexuality?

If this is what your saying, I fear you are gravely mistaken. For alot of bisexuals, possibly most, gender isnt an issue atall, hence the bisexuality. I was gonna rant some more but I have things to be doing so I shant.

Sarasvati
Sep 8, 2007, 8:56 PM
Hello DuskTillDawn

I welcome your point of view. I have to ask you to make your point again though because I can not see it at all.

How can gender not be of relevance to a bisexual? It is central to any definition of the word. You could not define the word to someone unfamiliar to the idea without reference to gender.

I think you wished to attack my comments about suppression of sexuality. I couldn't see how your points did so - please try again.

Chaia
Sep 8, 2007, 11:40 PM
Promising Galahad,
When you mentioned your idea of two people talking in a car or restaurant, I thought of "Driving Miss Daisy" (the play, not so much the movie) because it is just two characters, talking, most of the time in a car. Perhaps you could go back and take a look at a script of that show and get some ideas. Although two actors talking about sensitive social issues can have the potential of being preachy, "Driving Miss Daisy," due to the writing, pulls it off and leaves the audience coming back year after year. I am trying to think of other plays along the same lines, but cannot off of the top of my head. Good luck on your film--I will be interested to see it when it is finished!
Chaia

DuskTillDawn
Sep 9, 2007, 4:49 PM
Hello DuskTillDawn

I welcome your point of view. I have to ask you to make your point again though because I can not see it at all.

How can gender not be of relevance to a bisexual? It is central to any definition of the word. You could not define the word to someone unfamiliar to the idea without reference to gender.

I think you wished to attack my comments about suppression of sexuality. I couldn't see how your points did so - please try again.

As you wish.

Basically all Im saying is that for some bisexuals, the gender of a partner is irrelivent (sp?) to thier appeal. This would mean that no part of thier sexuaity would be supressed by being monogamous as they could have everything they needed in 1 person.

Sorry im really crap at explaining. Does anyone undertand that can translate that into english please?

Skater Boy
Sep 9, 2007, 4:52 PM
As you wish.

Basically all Im saying is that for some bisexuals, the gender of a partner is irrelivent (sp?) to thier appeal. This would mean that no part of thier sexuaity would be supressed by being monogamous as they could have everything they needed in 1 person.

Sorry im really crap at explaining. Does anyone undertand that can translate that into english please?

Is this what you mean?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexual

DiamondDog
Sep 9, 2007, 6:16 PM
Is this what you mean?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexual

She means that bisexuals can be in closed/exclusive/monogamous relationships where they are just with one person of one gender and they're satisfied by that person only.

Promising Galahad
Sep 10, 2007, 10:00 AM
Chaia, Thanks! Thats not a bad idea. I think you gave me a good idea.Perhaps I will write is like a play. Thanks again!

csrakate
Sep 10, 2007, 11:43 AM
We tend to wonder why you are doing this? You don't know where to begin, you don't even write a profile that might give a hint about what talent you might have. The whole idea seems a bit scattered to us. No offense intended but start with the small stuff before you reach for the stars. Crawl before you try to walk.

Was this really necessary? He's not asking to hook up...nor is he needing to validate his experience as a film maker to the room...he's merely asking for suggestions so that he can reach a broader audience. I applaud him for caring what other bisexuals might think.

And as an aside note to the original poster...welickit always refers to themselves as a "WE"..they are a couple..not the collective voice of this site!

Good luck to you in your efforts!

Hugs,
Kate

Sarasvati
Sep 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
I think welickit's scepticism is valid - PG will have to go through a lot of critical analysis before he achieves what he is looking for. Without the willingness to subject your efforts to the criticisms of others, including sheer disbelief, your work can not progress.

Still, I thought PG answered the scepticism well by pointing out that at this early stage he is simply brainstorming. By defying the disbelief of welickit and others he will show himself to have a worthy place at the round table.

A suggestion I have for PG is to perhaps counter that disbelief by subtitling his work, SCATTERED, and use that initial concept to develop his theme. Moving the scattered, confused popular understanding of bisexuality to the clearer state that he wishes to promulgate.

DuskTillDawn
Sep 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
She means that bisexuals can be in closed/exclusive/monogamous relationships where they are just with one person of one gender and they're satisfied by that person only.

Thanks DD, yes thats what I meant, just couldnt get the words out!

If a straight man falls in love with a woman, he doesnt need another woman to be satisfied. If a bisexual man falls in love with a person, he doesnt need another person to be satisfied.

csrakate
Sep 10, 2007, 2:00 PM
I think welickit's scepticism is valid - PG will have to go through a lot of critical analysis before he achieves what he is looking for. Without the willingness to subject your efforts to the criticisms of others, including sheer disbelief, your work can not progress.

I agree with that in concept...but rudeness is not necessary and I hardly think that a filled out profile is necessary in order ask a simple question. Again, he is not looking to hook up...but to get some ideas. But that is only my personal opinion and not worth arguing about...I just hate it when it appears that asking a simple question can cause such a response and perhaps make the poster feel less than welcome. That's all.

Hugs,
Kate

Sarasvati
Sep 10, 2007, 3:33 PM
The difference of perceptions between myself and others like herbwoman and DuskTillDawn may also offer PG some ideas in his thoughts, as it is altering perceptions that, I understand, his work is about.

In my defence, I've tried to make a point about bisexuality in the context of a film or story.

I think if PG attempts to portray a commited monogamous relationship between a bisexual person and somebody else, he will soon run into the trouble I have tried to communicate. Perhaps in attempting to do so he might also find some seeds for his work.

Without the idea of sexual suppression he would find it difficult to inform his viewers of the bisexual nature of his bisexual character (in the context of a commited monogamous relationship, whether it is the only one of them or one of a series of them, during that relationship).

Adding to the broader points made by DuskTillDawn and others,

The essence of bisexuality is surely, at least, a tendency to be attracted to either or both sexes (not only one of them), whether it is at the same time, at different times and in differing proportions.

A person who is currently in a commited monogamous relationship with one particular gender and has previously had one or more of them with the other gender (or the same one) may indeed be identified or may identify themselves as bisexual.

If that person is completely fulfilled by their partner and exhibits no such tendency as mentioned above then the bisexuality is identified by a review of their former relationships. The bisexuality of such a person can not therefore be identified in the present either by themselves or someone else - only by awareness of the historic past.

The bisexuality of such a person is thus practically irrelevant and to all intents and purposes does not exist. The bisexual person exists, their bisexuality, i.e., the aforementioned tendency, does not.

This character in the context of a film or story says nothing of bisexuality as there is nothing bisexual to portray about them except by reference to former relationships.

In addition, a person who is currently in a commited monogamous relationship with one particular gender and has no previous relationship of any kind or even a person who has never had any relationship of any kind may also be identified or may identify themselves as bisexual. In any of these cases it would be impossible to detect that bisexuality without something to indicate the aforementioned tendency.

Now forthermore, if a person displays or experiences the aforementioned tendency that indicates their bisexuality, at least occasionally, (i.e., gives it some kind of outward expression) and that person is also in a commited monogamous relationship (whether the only one or a series of them) then in order for that relationship to persist calmly the bisexual person will have to avoid following their bisexual tendencies - and wil have to SUPPRESS them. The tendencies are there, but not acted upon, they are thus, suppressed.

As that tendency is experienced by many bisexual people, commited monogamy and bisexuality are uneasy bedfellows. That does not mean commited monogamy and bisexual people are uneasy bedfellows at all as i have stressed they can be.

But someone with those tendencies must suppress them if they wish to be in a commited monogamous relationship.

I await the opposing viewpoints which will surely come. Please feel free to challenge me

Promising Galahad
Sep 10, 2007, 5:41 PM
Thanks Kate! I do not believe welickit meant any harm (I could be wrong) Its all good.

I just recently began posting here so no one really knows me. I am looking at a project in the near future and the focus is on bisexuals. I just thought I would poke around and get some thoughts. I assure you I am not up to anything sinister.(LOL)

FalconAngel
Sep 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
If you are serious about covering Bisexuality, then a 20 minute short film will come off badly, in the end, unless you are (or get) a really fabulous writer. This is a subject for an in-depth documentary. Sexuality, no matter what sexuality you discuss, requires a lot of work to make clear without sounding like it is a parody of life or something like that.

I would love to see it if you can pull it off, though.

Chaia
Sep 13, 2007, 10:22 PM
Chaia, Thanks! Thats not a bad idea. I think you gave me a good idea.Perhaps I will write is like a play. Thanks again!
PG--You are most welcome. I do think that many one act plays have been written to address touchy social subjects and many have worked out quite well and opened people's minds, a little at a time, in the process. Art of all kinds is frequently the place that those topics are addressed when they are still taboo in "polite" society.
Good luck!
Chaia

jedinudist
Sep 13, 2007, 10:33 PM
The "Double Struggle" we face when we come out; i.e.- Heterosexuals either think it's a faze or that we're gay, and the homosexuals dismiss us as homosexuals who are too cowardly to admit it. It's like we have to come out as Bisexuals, and then have to prove that Bisexuality is a legitimate orientation all on it's own.

:(

phoenix11664
Sep 13, 2007, 10:44 PM
I would like to throw this out there: focusing on story first might be wise. This is how I was taught to write screenplays. A producer once said, "If you want to send a message, use Western Union." I say this not to discourage you (because I actually think it's awesome what you're wanting to do), but rather to make the point that the audience will care more about the plot than the message. If you tell a good story and make the characters relatable, they'll get the message.

Something else I want to suggest is drawing from your own experience. Personal stories come across as being more real, believable, and relatable. You don't have to make a short film about something exactly as it happened to you. But the situation can be your jumping off point for creating a character who is going through something similar. And maybe they'll actually react differently or make a different choice than you did.

What I would like to see is a bisexual character who's a real person. Not a stereotype, but someone very likable and relatable that the audience can't just write off or ignore. It may seem small compared to the larger goals I know you want to achieve with your work (because I'd like to achieve them with mine too), but for me the following would be a major thing: If you can introduce your audience to a bisexual character and make them care about her/him. John Steinbeck said that you won't care that thousands of Chinese are starving until you meet one Chinese who is starving. It's that personal connection that can lead to opening minds and hearts. (Which, of course, can lead to much greater change.)

Feel free to email me if you want any advice on story, plot, etc. I'm not a professional, paid screenwriter (yet) but I do have a certificate in screenwriting and I've written a few scripts.

Good luck with this project. I'm excited to see the results.