PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lewis and the "F" word

AdamKadmon43
Sep 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
looks like Jerry Lewis has managed to get himself into a spot of trouble over his un-timely and ill-advised use of the word "fag".

My gay friends (all two of them) have gotten their tits in a wringer over it, and their state of outrage over my lack of outrage has caused me to steer clear of them for the time being.

I guess that it does not really bother me all that much to be called a fag.

Probably no worse than being called *just A asshole* by one of the more illustrious (not to mention self-proclaimed genius) members of our community.

Please feel free to not respond to this and let it slide it's way on down the list into the oblivion that it so richly deserves.

:tongue: Adam

LoveLion
Sep 6, 2007, 1:54 AM
Personally I hate the word "Fag" or "Faggot". Its a slur and its oppressing. Unfortunately the word is still quite acceptable so it does pop up all over the place. For example, we had a "Rejected Super Heros and Villiains" costume party last week (I went as "The French Tickler" just as a side note). There were alot of guys dressed in funny and feminine outfits. After the party I was talking to another guy in res, and he said casually "There were alot of Faggy costumes". He didnt meet to be condescending and when I pointed out that it was an ignorant term her apologised and said he didnt even think about it. Hes not homophobic or anything, but the word is still in common vocabulary. Does this make it ok? I would hope not. People say "Oh, well everyone uses it so whats the big deal?" but if you remember a generation or two back, the "N" word was in the exact same situation. Heck, my Grandma (god bless her soul) still uses it and cant see why its wrong. I have to take your friend's side on this one and support the phasing out of the word. Its probably not something to get to worked up about, but its still good to acknowledge the discrimination the word promotes and not just turn a deaf ear when its spoken.

Long Duck Dong
Sep 6, 2007, 4:53 AM
* fag * is also a slang term for a cigarette in new zealand.... * fag time, time for a fag, can I grab a fag off * ya etc etc

btw adam... like I said, I would not have called you a asshole, if you hadn't implied that people open to supernatural / spiritual / paranormal things, were irrational, insane, unintelligent or OD'ing on meds

also I am a savant, not a genius....there is a clear difference.. a savant is a person whose measurable mental capabilities span numerous areas...
a genius is classed as 160-190 in IQ range, a exceptional genius is 190-200+ and savant is in excess of 200+

darkeyes
Sep 6, 2007, 6:13 AM
Wen me wos wee.. me ad wud neva allow jerry lewis films on telly. Now ya knows wot its like...wotya mum or dad say ya jus hasta find out wy dontcha??? One pissy sunday aftanoon wen me mum an dad wer out a Jerry Lewis film came on telly.. well wot else r 2 girls 2 do (the otha bein me big sista).. on we put Jerry.. afta 5 mins wish we hadnta bothered.. God it wos embarrassin! We peresevered an thot it jus hadta get betta... well how effin rong wer we... afta 15 mins or so we cudn take ne more such wos the agony.. so we switched it off an went through an annoyed me bro an is m8s. Much more fun...

So all me can say is this... if JL used the word fag ya jus havta believe such a bloody stupid arsehole who turned out such unwatchable bollox dontcha? Fag 2 me like 2 duckie is a ciggie..or sum daft wee posh tit in the English Public schol system who runs afta the arse of the big public school tits. Dunno, but the reputation for the English Public School system an the nobs who go ther r prob an wot they got up 2 is wot got gays the appallin name attached 2 em...

MarieDelta
Sep 6, 2007, 6:25 AM
Getting upset about this is bdly misplaced IMO. Jerry Lewis is of a different generation, are ya gonna change his ways? I doubt it.

Yes faggot is a slur word, used to cover all sorts of GLBT folks here in the states. But it is also one, that was for many years in common usage.

Seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.

What are you gonna do? Quit watching the Jerry Lewis tellethon(I haven't watched that since I was small)?

darkeyes
Sep 6, 2007, 6:29 AM
Ratha watch teletubbies Marie:bigrin:

biwords
Sep 6, 2007, 6:34 AM
Getting upset about this is bdly misplaced IMO. Jerry Lewis is of a different generation, are ya gonna change his ways? I doubt it.

Couldn't agree more!

darkeyes
Sep 6, 2007, 6:36 AM
Won b able 2 changes is ways soon..aint e ancient?? e b dead fore long...

Herbwoman39
Sep 6, 2007, 7:23 AM
Does anyone else remember an old restaurant chain in the south called Little Sambo's? My grandmother used to comment about how cute the "little n-word baby" (cept she actually used the word) on the sign was when I was little.

That's the level of bias we're dealing with here. It's ingrained in that generation the same as using the word "like" as a filler is in our generation. As in "She was SO, like, totally hot!". Now I'm not saying that either slur is okay, but if we're going to get in an uproar every time someone uses a word we're not comfortable with, then maybe we need to think about growing a thicker skin.

There will ALWAYS be someone out there saying things we don't like or approve of. But keep in mind, words only have the power that *we* give them.

Yes, let Jerry know that sort of talk is no longer acceptable. Then just drop it. As Fran said, the man is ancient and he isn't likely to change. So we have a couple of choices here. 1) Yell, scream and continue to bang the drum or 2) Let him know what he did was unacceptable and move on.

captslaprock
Sep 6, 2007, 9:24 AM
I'LL GIVE JERRY LEWIS A PASS ON HIS USE OF THE WORD

WHEN SOMEONE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAS DONE AS MUCH GOOD AS HE HAS FOR PEOPLE WITH MEDICAL PROBLEMS, I'LL GIVE THEM A PASS ALSO

darkeyes
Sep 6, 2007, 9:42 AM
I'LL GIVE JERRY LEWIS A PASS ON HIS USE OF THE WORD

WHEN SOMEONE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAS DONE AS MUCH GOOD AS HE HAS FOR PEOPLE WITH MEDICAL PROBLEMS, I'LL GIVE THEM A PASS ALSO

Many a good deed has been discredited and undone by an ill-considered word...

dafydd
Sep 6, 2007, 3:51 PM
* fag * is also a slang term for a cigarette in new zealand.... * fag time, time for a fag, can I grab a fag off * ya etc etc

btw adam... like I said, I would not have called you a asshole, if you hadn't implied that people open to supernatural / spiritual / paranormal things, were irrational, insane, unintelligent or OD'ing on meds

also I am a savant, not a genius....there is a clear difference.. a savant is a person whose measurable mental capabilities span numerous areas...
a genius is classed as 160-190 in IQ range, a exceptional genius is 190-200+ and savant is in excess of 200+

don't you mean 'idiot savant' ;)
:bigrin:
d

Azrael
Sep 6, 2007, 4:09 PM
Ratha watch teletubbies Marie:bigrin:
Over a glass of whiskey and a couple blunts!!!!!
That's how I roll :tong:

Azrael
Sep 6, 2007, 4:12 PM
don't you mean 'idiot savant' ;)
:bigrin:
d

No, he means like an Autistic savant.
Proud to be an Asperger's kid, it's what makes me me, so there.
I wouldn't call myself a savant per se, but I've found what I excel at it and am exploiting it to the fullest of my ability.
Cooking, writing, building stuff. Failed Introductory Algebra 3 times in high school. Finally BARELY passed it my senior year. And I was in AP psychology and english. Right brained? You betcha.

Duck, should we teach them the secret to infinite wisdom?
I don't think they're ready.
Someday :bigrin:

12voltman59
Sep 6, 2007, 6:41 PM
I am not really too much in a dander about Jerry Lewis using the "F" word-he is pretty much irrelevant these days-and he is the last of his generation of entertainers---all of his old buddies--Frankie, Deano, SammyD, Joey Bishop, Bob Hope, Ronald Reagan and the rest of his crowd are gone---

That was just his old tough guy persona talking anyway---now if somebody more current, younger and relevant says the "F" word---"Houston--I think we may have a problem here...."

Naaawwwwww----don't worry about Jerry using that word---it ain't no BFD, bro.....