PDA

View Full Version : "420 friendly"?

bigbuck51
Sep 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
Hello all...just wondering what the term "420 friendly" means...have seen it several times Thanks!

DiamondDog
Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 AM
It's asking if you're into smoking pot or if you are OK with others smoking pot.

TaylorMade
Sep 5, 2007, 1:00 AM
420 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)),for the uninitiated.

*Taylor*

Azrael
Sep 5, 2007, 1:10 AM
That's how I roll...

the mage
Sep 5, 2007, 7:38 AM
Use a vaporizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No smell, no waste of your expensive weed a better longer lasting high!!

Google it............ Volcano Vaporizer!!

I have one and its fabulous!!

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 8:40 AM
Azrael, amigo... totally NOT a moral judgement or anything, coz I'm the last person to do that... BUT were you aware of the link between drugs (such as Cannabis) and the potential development of mental illnesses (such as depression)?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2498493.stm

Just wondering if you'd concur with the findings of these studies, or whether its the opposite scenario for you?

Cheers,

SB

the mage
Sep 5, 2007, 12:30 PM
How funny....
Here in a civilized country we can get cannabis legally for treatment of assorted medical conditions, the depression caused by terminal illness being one of them.
The pain of severe arthritis is another along with nerve pain and a few other nasties.

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
How funny....
Here in a civilized country we can get cannabis legally for treatment of assorted medical conditions, the depression caused by terminal illness being one of them.
The pain of severe arthritis is another along with nerve pain and a few other nasties.

The way things are going, it may be likewise in the UK sometime soon. Many of the politicians have adopted the "Decriminalization" stance whereas the medical professionals have adopted the opposite stance. It'll be a real battle to see who wins. But I'd say that the majority of the population is NOT opposed to decriminalization.

midtnbi8669
Sep 5, 2007, 1:18 PM
SkaterBoy Wrote: BUT were you aware of the link between drugs (such as Cannabis) and the potential development of mental illnesses (such as depression)?

Damn...simply because its in print does NOT mean its true.....

Marijuana has been around and used for pain, nausea and depression since before recorded history. Simply because the US government says it has "No Medicinial Value" does not make it so. Ask anyone undergoing Chemotherapy who used marijuana if it helps with the side effect of the treatment.

Our Federal government does not make regulations with the citizens best interests at heart. If so, tobbacco would have been outlawed 50 years ago! They make regulations based on politics and money.
Does anyone know why marijuana was federally outlawed in the first place? well, if you don't, here is the reason....

In 1937, the Federal Government passed the "Marijuana Tax Act" that allowed the possession and distribution of marijuana providing you possessed a Federal Marijuana Tax Stamp. The problem was that the tax stamps were never producted except in a small batch not available to US citizens.

This law was passed primarily due to the fact that the southern border states during the Great Depression had a huge Mexican polulation that the elected officials wanted to get rid of. State laws in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California were enacted to allow law enforcement to remove Mexican national from the US. based on their use of marijuana and the violence it supposedly caused. In 1933, Harry Anslinger created the DEA and these state laws were expanded and finally adopted as Federal Law.

If you do a little research, you will see some of the lies told to Congress regarding marijuana and the people who used the drug. They actually said that Blacks who used marijuana were raping white women while under the influence, among other lies.

Now, anyone who uses pot knows that the only thing you wanna do whe your high is to E A T! HA! I have never seen anyone who was simply stoned getting violent or raping anyone!

If you want more info, you can start at the following website:

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

My point being....never quote ANYTHING as fact before researching it yourself!

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 1:35 PM

tee-hee! Well, without giving too much away, my experience with Cannabis and Cannabis use are, shall we say, very deep. and my experince with mental health issues are also, shall we say, very deep.

By all means, stick to your argument. But I don't see any letters after your name, so I'll take your post for what its worth.

:2cents:

PS: who said anything was "quoted as fact"? And that said, if tests have been done that indicate that there IS at least SOME factual basis to the claims, then surely you should be protesting your opinions to the scientists who did the the tests?

DiamondDog
Sep 5, 2007, 1:36 PM
Azrael, amigo... totally NOT a moral judgement or anything, coz I'm the last person to do that... BUT were you aware of the link between drugs (such as Cannabis) and the potential development of mental illnesses?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2498493.stm

also from the article above:

Researchers have also found further evidence the drug can significantly increase the risk of schizophrenia.

I've talked to various psychologists/psychiatrists and friends about this issue and unless you have some underlying mental condition you won't get psychosis or go off the deep end from smoking pot.

Yes paranoia and anxiety can occur but that's not the same as psychosis/schizophrenia.

The psychosis is already there and life/pot/stress/other drugs/hereditary factors just bring it out in someone, it doesn't just appear out of nowhere because of someone taking drugs or smoking pot.

Cannabis has been around since the dawn of humanity and it's a highly evolved plant and it's been used by humans for thousands of years.

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 1:42 PM
also from the article above:

I've talked to various psychologists/psychiatrists and friends about this issue and unless you have some underlying mental condition you won't get psychosis or go off the deep end from smoking pot.

Yes paranoia and anxiety can occur but that's not the same as psychosis/schizophrenia.

The psychosis is already there and life/pot/stress/other drugs/hereditary factors just bring it out in someone, it doesn't just appear out of nowhere because of someone taking drugs or smoking pot.

Cannabis has been around since the dawn of humanity and it's a highly evolved plant and it's been used by humans for thousands of years.

Not saying that isn't the case. But isn't what they said about smoking tobacco until they found out that it caused cancer? I've been to numerous psychotherapists, and each one said to me (on more or less the first session) that Cannabis HAS IN SOME CASES been known to induce (or at least increase the risk of) psychosis amongst users. And if you freely admit that it can cause paranoia and anxiety, then who is to say that it cannot do any worse?

DiamondDog
Sep 5, 2007, 1:51 PM
Not saying that isn't the case. But isn't what they said about smoking tobacco until they found out that it caused cancer? I've been to numerous psychotherapists, and each one said to me (on more or less the first session) that Cannabis HAS IN SOME CASES been known to induce (or at least increase the risk of) psychosis amongst users. And if you freely admit that it can cause paranoia and anxiety, then who is to say that it cannot do any worse?

my point is that these people would have had the psychosis even if they hadn't smoked any pot as it's usually genetic and it wouldn't just come out of nowhere from smoking pot.

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 2:05 PM
my point is that these people would have had the psychosis even if they hadn't smoked any pot as it's usually genetic and it wouldn't just come out of nowhere from smoking pot.

You may be totally right, DD. I'm not a qualified Doctor, so I can't say for sure either way. I just thought I'd mention the "supposed link" to Azrael...all things considered.

Azrael
Sep 5, 2007, 4:33 PM
You may be totally right, DD. I'm not a qualified Doctor, so I can't say for sure either way. I just thought I'd mention the "supposed link" to Azrael...all things considered.

Seen it in others, never in myself. My mind is constantly in overdrive. Weed takes the edge off and keeps my appetite up to par. As long as I eat well, sleep well, and don't fuck with hard drugs, I's sound as a pound.

midtnbi8669
Sep 5, 2007, 5:19 PM
SkaterBoy Wrote:PS: who said anything was "quoted as fact"? And that said, if tests have been done that indicate that there IS at least SOME factual basis to the claims, then surely you should be protesting your opinions to the scientists who did the the tests?

You are correct...you didn't quote anything as fact and I'm sorry I used that incorrect term.

But tests are only as good as the personnel, materials and goals used in the testing. If you don't question every study....especially the ones you agree with, then your not doing the subject justice anyway. The slogan "Question Authority" is very applicable in this case!

And no, no letters behind my name! :bigrin: but I do have a Masters in Political Science and did a thesis on drug legislation many years ago. I'm not saying I know everything about it, but I have a pretty good knowledge on the subject...some of it firsthand like yourself..LOL

But debate is a good thing and its always fun!

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 5:43 PM
But debate is a good thing and its always fun!

Agreed! :)

KR2007
Sep 5, 2007, 6:29 PM
SkaterBoy Wrote: BUT were you aware of the link between drugs (such as Cannabis) and the potential development of mental illnesses (such as depression)?

Damn...simply because its in print does NOT mean its true.....

Marijuana has been around and used for pain, nausea and depression since before recorded history. Simply because the US government says it has "No Medicinial Value" does not make it so. Ask anyone undergoing Chemotherapy who used marijuana if it helps with the side effect of the treatment.

Our Federal government does not make regulations with the citizens best interests at heart. If so, tobbacco would have been outlawed 50 years ago! They make regulations based on politics and money.
Does anyone know why marijuana was federally outlawed in the first place? well, if you don't, here is the reason....

In 1937, the Federal Government passed the "Marijuana Tax Act" that allowed the possession and distribution of marijuana providing you possessed a Federal Marijuana Tax Stamp. The problem was that the tax stamps were never producted except in a small batch not available to US citizens.

This law was passed primarily due to the fact that the southern border states during the Great Depression had a huge Mexican polulation that the elected officials wanted to get rid of. State laws in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California were enacted to allow law enforcement to remove Mexican national from the US. based on their use of marijuana and the violence it supposedly caused. In 1933, Harry Anslinger created the DEA and these state laws were expanded and finally adopted as Federal Law.

If you do a little research, you will see some of the lies told to Congress regarding marijuana and the people who used the drug. They actually said that Blacks who used marijuana were raping white women while under the influence, among other lies.

Now, anyone who uses pot knows that the only thing you wanna do whe your high is to E A T! HA! I have never seen anyone who was simply stoned getting violent or raping anyone!

If you want more info, you can start at the following website:

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

lol Sorry but I had to quote you on everything that u posted. Very well written. :) There are many people out there who need marijuana (for medicinal purposes) and are not able to obtain this because of the state that they live in. Maybe if people weren't so ignorant to assume that marijuana is just to get high and commit crimes LOL (yeah right it's not crack), there would be many people who would get the help from it that they deserve.

Skater Boy
Sep 5, 2007, 6:57 PM
lol Sorry but I had to quote you on everything that u posted. Very well written. :) There are many people out there who need marijuana (for medicinal purposes) and are not able to obtain this because of the state that they live in. Maybe if people weren't so ignorant to assume that marijuana is just to get high and commit crimes LOL (yeah right it's not crack), there would be many people who would get the help from it that they deserve.

And what of Morphine? that has its medical uses too, but should THAT be made legal? There is a difference between a prescribed drug, and a drug used on a recreational basis.

Oh, and just FYI... I don't live in The US of A, so half of that stuff in the quote doesn't even apply here.

I have no beef with the LEGALIZATION of Cannabis, and I don't know what gave you pot-heads the idea that I did. I just wanted to inform a SPECIFIC person to some of the "alleged" consequences of USING the drug. That is all.

canuckotter
Sep 5, 2007, 9:15 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that there's a link... People in high-stress situations do tend to be more likely to use and abuse recreational drugs, including alcohol and marijuana. And what's one of the major contributors to depression? ;)

Basically, I'm saying that my guess is that it's probably correlation, not causation. Not that I don't think pot has the potential to have long-term effects, but...

Azrael
Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 PM
Alright people, enough screwing around.
Lay off my boy.
Thanks for that, Sk8erboi!
Perhaps we'll delve further into this in a less public fora.

the mage
Sep 6, 2007, 8:31 AM
And what of Morphine? that has its medical uses too, but should THAT be made legal? There is a difference between a prescribed drug, and a drug used on a recreational basis.

Oh, and just FYI... I don't live in The US of A, so half of that stuff in the quote doesn't even apply here.

I have no beef with the LEGALIZATION of Cannabis, and I don't know what gave you pot-heads the idea that I did. I just wanted to inform a SPECIFIC person to some of the "alleged" consequences of USING the drug. That is all.

...............Morphine is totally legal and in daily use as a prescribed drug.
you need to check some facts before ranting.

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 9:16 AM

I was talking about its legal status for RECREATIONAL USE. you need to read statements more carefully before making posts.

And if YOU would care to check the facts on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphine#Legal_classification

Azrael
Sep 6, 2007, 3:30 PM

Swing and a miss :bigrin:

DiamondDog
Sep 6, 2007, 3:36 PM
Prescription opiates yum!

dafydd
Sep 6, 2007, 3:44 PM
The people who I know that smoke pot are apathetic and never get things done. I have a strong suspicion that pot does increase the chances of depression and psychosis in many smokers. I would hate to see it decriminalised, and when I smell pot in the street I want to vomit.
However medical marijuana is a diffierent issue, and I think it should be made available to those in the greatest need.

:bigrin:
d

Azrael
Sep 6, 2007, 3:55 PM
The important information to grok from this is:
EVERY INDIVIDUAL REACTS DIFFERENTLY!!!!
I have a buddy who's epileptic and can't function without Depakote. With it, he's 'normal', functional, and seizure free.
They also have reasonable success with using this drug to treat acute bipolar mania. Depakote made me have vivid hallucinations for three days straight, and the doctor left me on it til I stopped eating and puking all the time saying "You just need to let it work".
Some people can't be not depressed without drugs. I can't be not depressed ON drugs. Neuroleptics (dopamine blockers: risperdal, seroquel, clozaril ect.) CAUSE depression in lots of people in the recommended dosage range for bipolar and schizophrenia.
I say again, every individual reacts differently. It's not as simple as saying "this drug does this to you". Every person's body is a vast unique chemical tapestry.
So let's quit the fucking muckraking, AIGHT?!?!?
I smoke weed, I'm a fucking great prep/line cook, I pay my bills, Obey MOST of the laws, and make sure I don't step on anyone along the way.
Enough stupid generalizations. You're ALL smarter than this.
'Cept Sk8erboi, I think he's smarter than me in many regards :tong:
Neurotypicals are so cute :tong:

oops, gotta go buy some cheeba......

dafydd
Sep 6, 2007, 4:04 PM
The important information to grok from this is:
EVERY INDIVIDUAL REACTS DIFFERENTLY!!!!
I have a buddy who's epileptic and can't function without Depakote. With it, he's 'normal', functional, and seizure free.
They also have reasonable success with using this drug to treat acute bipolar mania. Depakote made me have vivid hallucinations for three days straight, and the doctor left me on it til I stopped eating and puking all the time saying "You just need to let it work".
Some people can't be not depressed without drugs. I can't be not depressed ON drugs. Neuroleptics (dopamine blockers: risperdal, seroquel, clozaril) CAUSE depression in lots of people in the recommended dosage range for bipolar and schizophrenia.
I say again, every individual reacts differently. It's not as simple as saying "this drug does this to you". Every person's body is a vast unique chemical tapestry.
So let's quit the fucking muckraking, AIGHT?!?!?
I smoke weed, I'm a fucking great prep/line cook, I pay my bills, Obey MOST of the laws, and make sure I don't step on anyone along the way.
Enough stupid generalizations. You're ALL smarter than this.
'Cept Sk8erboi, I think he's smarter than me in many regards :tong:
Neurotypicals are so cute :tong:

oops, gotta go buy some cheeba......

I agree people react differently. That's why think pot shouldn't be dicriminalised. It's not safe.

d

DiamondDog
Sep 6, 2007, 6:48 PM
I agree people react differently. That's why think pot shouldn't be dicriminalised. It's not safe.

d

Alcohol is far from being "safe" either but it's perfectly legal, socially acceptable, causes more problems than pot does, and very easy for anyone to get if they want it.

I do think that pot should be decriminalized/legalized but that you should not be allowed to drive on it at all.

Skater Boy
Sep 6, 2007, 6:58 PM
Alcohol is far from being "safe" either but it's perfectly legal, socially acceptable, causes more problems than pot does, and very easy for anyone to get if they want it.

Indeed. And tobacco too, might I add. For me its not a matter of whether they should be legal or not. But rather whether one would WANT to play Russian Roulette with one's health. Even if it were socially acceptable to do so.

Btw, I do not smoke tobacco at all. And these days I only ever drink the occasional glass of wine or beer to savor the taste... I have even been known not to finish whats in my glass. Thats part of the reason I hate going to social events.

the mage
Sep 6, 2007, 8:42 PM

d

............... a silly statement of generalization. You have NO basis in fact.
You are accepting propaganda as real. Open source unverified crap.

No one. Not one country, government, or medical society has ever done a valid study on smoked weed. Canada had indeed started the worlds first but the conservative gov't newly elected killed it 3/4 of the way thru.

What is known is what it does NOT do.
Not cause cancer.
no emphysema or bronchitis either.

Overwhelming anecdotal evidence suggests that it does...
help resolve asthma
help people survive tinitis
aid in overcoming allergies.
resolve pain of severe arthritis.
help control seizure
help control nausea of all kinds
increase appetite
help overcome panic attack in terminal patients.
help aids patients lessen nerve pain.

It is legal for use in Canada for the last 6 items. It is NOT available as a prescription from the doctor. You become legal and get doctors permission to try it under supervision by having those conditions.

dafydd
Sep 7, 2007, 1:36 AM
............... a silly statement of generalization. You have NO basis in fact.
You are accepting propaganda as real. Open source unverified crap.

No one. Not one country, government, or medical society has ever done a valid study on smoked weed. Canada had indeed started the worlds first but the conservative gov't newly elected killed it 3/4 of the way thru.

What is known is what it does NOT do.
Not cause cancer.
no emphysema or bronchitis either.

Overwhelming anecdotal evidence suggests that it does...
help resolve asthma
help people survive tinitis
aid in overcoming allergies.
resolve pain of severe arthritis.
help control seizure
help control nausea of all kinds
increase appetite
help overcome panic attack in terminal patients.
help aids patients lessen nerve pain.

It is legal for use in Canada for the last 6 items. It is NOT available as a prescription from the doctor. You become legal and get doctors permission to try it under supervision by having those conditions.

Actually, through work and friends, I have first hand experience of how unregulated control of cannabis can destroy lives. I'm sure it does all the things you've mentioned. It also turns some people into gibberring wrecks. That *is* a fact. I have seen it.

d

dafydd
Sep 7, 2007, 1:38 AM

I do think that pot should be decriminalized/legalized but that you should not be allowed to drive on it at all.

I agree. I think there is an hypocrisy there. I think alcohol is far more damaging. That's why I don't drink either.

d

naive
Sep 7, 2007, 4:24 AM
it looks like most people's opinions stem from whether they use marijuana or not. for the people that do use it, it only makes sense they would want it legalised (unless they get some kick out of breaking the law) because they can only see how the benefits outweigh the downsides. for the ones that don't use it, they have either tried it and don't see how it makes life/living any better or haven't tried it and don't feel the need to try a drug that alters a person's state of mind.

call me mr obvious but i'm just trying to clear the air because neither side's opinion will be changed. i've never smoked tobacco/dope and i never will and i only drink for social reasons. alcohol certainly causes many problems (maybe more than tobacco) but for individuals who can moderate themselves, it seems there are less adverse affects (if any) from one drink compared to one cigarette. being a non-smoker, i don't see how any of its benefits can make up for the fact that you're deliberately inhaling particles of burning plant :confused:

just my :2cents:

the mage
Sep 7, 2007, 7:46 AM
THe very best way to get the medical benefit of weed is to use a vaporizer or to eat it.

Assuming its smoked is evidence of its "party" history.
That is in fact the most wasteful way to use it.

I would say to the uninitiated that unlike alcohol which removes motor control and rational thought weed alters the mind, but does not remove body control.

Altered is not impaired.

naive
Sep 7, 2007, 8:05 AM
i admit to being a drug noob. is vaporised marijuana similar to vaporised alcohol? i heard about the latter but AFAIK, it hasn't really taken off in many bars that i've seen because, for many people, the social aspects of alcohol are more important than gettin drunk faster. is vaporised dope the norm now?

also, could anyone clarify if these medical benefits of marijuana are the result of its mind-altering properties or are they simply a side effect? and has the pharmaceutical industry ever tried harnessing its medical properties? maybe that's why it hasn't been legalised because there is no backing by any big companies like alcohol or tobacco.

i think maybe the reason i haven't tried dope is because my mind and body are pretty closely linked, and if my mind is altered, i think that i can't have full control of my body, for example being capable of driving a car.

dafydd
Sep 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
i admit to being a drug noob. is vaporised marijuana similar to vaporised alcohol? i heard about the latter but AFAIK, it hasn't really taken off in many bars that i've seen because, for many people, the social aspects of alcohol are more important than gettin drunk faster. is vaporised dope the norm now?

also, could anyone clarify if these medical benefits of marijuana are the result of its mind-altering properties or are they simply a side effect? and has the pharmaceutical industry ever tried harnessing its medical properties? maybe that's why it hasn't been legalised because there is no backing by any big companies like alcohol or tobacco.

i think maybe the reason i haven't tried dope is because my mind and body are pretty closely linked, and if my mind is altered, i think that i can't have full control of my body, for example being capable of driving a car.

no way would you want to drive when you're stoned.

d

naive
Sep 7, 2007, 7:50 PM

d

this is the exact reason why we have booze and drug buses in australia. my opinion on the matter is pretty clear. all i want is to understand the other side a bit more.

Skater Boy
Sep 7, 2007, 7:53 PM
this is the exact reason why we have booze and drug buses in australia.

Does the tax-payer cover the cost of those??? :eek:

Well, I guess its cheaper than picking up the potential medical bills and legal costs.

naive
Sep 7, 2007, 8:01 PM
Does the tax-payer cover the cost of those??? :eek:

Well, I guess its cheaper than picking up the potential medical bills and legal costs.

we pay for everything that the police do here. whether it be through taxes or traffic offences. so theoretically, we pay the police to sit on the side of the road to catch us speeding so that our fines can pay for them to continue to sit on the side of the road. it's like one big vicious cycle.

Azrael
Sep 8, 2007, 7:10 PM

d

Funny, I've done it almost every day for 6 years.

the mage
Sep 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
Careful dOOd...
discretion is always your friend online.

I'm not going to go heavily into pharmacology here but put simply vaporisation allows the lungs to absorb the cannabinoids and flavinoids from the weed which are the psychoactive drugs you want in the body. Rather than get all the waste products created in burning. The finished product after vaporisation is a dried out leaf, like crushed autumn leaves, as opposed to ash.

Weed is used medically to control pain mostly. Nausea second.
It does work well as a pain blocker. The well experienced user does not in fact get the high a party kid would on the same amount of weed. The user for pain usually consumes up to 3 grams a day, far more than the average partier.
You can legally drive so long as you meet the physical requirements of the act. IE pass the roadside sobriety test. An inexperienced user would probably fail, a medical user likely would not be even asked to take the test as his appearance and manner would be utterly normal.

naive
Sep 10, 2007, 9:02 AM
I'm not going to go heavily into pharmacology here but put simply vaporisation allows the lungs to absorb the cannabinoids and flavinoids from the weed which are the psychoactive drugs you want in the body. Rather than get all the waste products created in burning. The finished product after vaporisation is a dried out leaf, like crushed autumn leaves, as opposed to ash.

Weed is used medically to control pain mostly. Nausea second.
It does work well as a pain blocker. The well experienced user does not in fact get the high a party kid would on the same amount of weed. The user for pain usually consumes up to 3 grams a day, far more than the average partier.
You can legally drive so long as you meet the physical requirements of the act. IE pass the roadside sobriety test. An inexperienced user would probably fail, a medical user likely would not be even asked to take the test as his appearance and manner would be utterly normal.

i think i understand enough about vaporisation from basic chemistry. what i actually wanted to know was is vaporisation the most common route of administration nowadays? seeing as though this has more become a discussion about the pros and cons of marijuana use for the argument surrounding its legalisation, is vaporisation how most people will be consuming it? and it seems like your view of vaporisation focuses on the medical benefits of marijuana. is that the main reason there are so many supporting its legalisation? are there actually more people that want to use it medically than recreationally?

i hope that the US standards for road sobriety tests don't make their way to australia because even though a heavy user of drugs or alcohol show fewer signs of intoxication doesn't mean they are any safer on the roads IMO anyway..