PDA

View Full Version : What's the grossest thing you like to eat?

anne27
Aug 29, 2007, 3:34 PM
No, this isn't a sex thread, sorry;).

I am sitting here munching on a bag of burnt microwave popcorn. My kids nuked it and really over did the popcorn. Black pieces and all. They brought it straight to me cuz they know that I like the icky stuff.

So, come on and share with me? What one thing do you eat that most people would think is gross?

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 3:40 PM
A Fish Supper.. all grease an pounds..but God it tastes yummie!!!

DiamondDog
Aug 29, 2007, 3:42 PM
A Fish Supper.. all grease an pounds..but God it tastes yummie!!!
No Haggis? ;)

I went to Scotland as a kid and tricked my parents into eating it saying how it was sausage!

DiamondDog
Aug 29, 2007, 3:43 PM
Honestly I'm not too grossed out by any of the things I like to eat.

Skater Boy
Aug 29, 2007, 3:52 PM
No Haggis? ;)

Like DD, I generally don't eat things that I don't like. But I think Haggis was the worst thing I've ever eaten. Not the taste... just how it looks inside and what its actually made of.

They do sell dried crickets (like little grasshoppers), mealworms (like caterpillars) and scorpions at a local store, but I've never been tempted to try them. I guess I'm "vanilla" when it comes to food.

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 4:02 PM
Haggis aint gross.. its yummie...u kno wot its made of Skater???

HighEnergy
Aug 29, 2007, 4:14 PM
I like all the vinegar-y foods that lots of folks think are gross, like sauerkraut, german potato salad, and salt and vinegar potato chips. YUM!

But Grandma could NOT get me to eat that damn steak and kidney pie! The entire house smelling of lamb piss kinda puts me off food.

anne27
Aug 29, 2007, 4:18 PM

I've seen canned haggis in a local specialty store. Somehow, canned just seems so wrong :tongue:.

Cocoa
Aug 29, 2007, 4:18 PM
I like to drink the juice out of the dill pickle jar. Just pour myself a glass. mmmmmm!
But I would never eat liver, just the thought and the smell!:eek:

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 4:50 PM
I've seen canned haggis in a local specialty store. Somehow, canned just seems so wrong :tongue:.

Its ghastly Anne believe me... if ya don get it fresh leave it alone....

MarieDelta
Aug 29, 2007, 5:01 PM
Lets see I've eaten Escargot ("snails") and pickled pigs feet, I love the pickled taste of things. Used to drink malted vinegar.

I've had frogs legs...

I think that's about it :tong: cept for maybe Rauchen Phus(a drink I had somewhere in Germany, most people got sick from it- roughly translates as 'smoking pussy').

I've had jungle juice too...

Marie "garbage gut" Delta

Skater Boy
Aug 29, 2007, 5:10 PM

Sheeps heart, liver and lungs. Not to mention suet and oatmeal. My theory is that the Scots were so poor that they had to eat the left over parts of the animal that no one else wanted!:bigrin:

Anyway, it TASTES ok... kinda like minced beef, I spose.

(for those who are unfamiliar with this dish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis )

rmorti
Aug 29, 2007, 5:29 PM
Super noodles/pot noodles....nothing amazingly scary but the amounts I used to eat was scary. think I hit my salt intake for 10 years in a week...

12voltman59
Aug 29, 2007, 6:11 PM
Anchovies, Escargot (snails for those who don't know), sometimes some really sharp pungent cheese like Linberger---
Frog's Legs--I think they are great but some people freak at them

Gator meat
Rattlesnake

I have had Rocky Mountain Oysters a few times---

Cow's tongue--I had a grandma that loved it--but I haven't had it since she died and that's been over 20 years ago now

Cracklin and Chitlin's

"Hey--I have lived down south and in the midwest most of my life" --what can I say!!! LOL

sexybicplinwv
Aug 29, 2007, 6:13 PM
One 4th of July went to a cookout and they fix(((Turtle)))boy did that suck:eek: And they though they could cook(((LOL))):bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 6:56 PM
Sheeps heart, liver and lungs. Not to mention suet and oatmeal. My theory is that the Scots were so poor that they had to eat the left over parts of the animal that no one else wanted!:bigrin:

Anyway, it TASTES ok... kinda like minced beef, I spose.

(for those who are unfamiliar with this dish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis )

Seasonin an barley an pulses of choice Skater.. an it tastes nowt woteva like mince!!! It tastes brill!!!

Skater Boy
Aug 29, 2007, 7:14 PM
I mean, just LOOK at it, Fran:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/JBASHORUN/Macsween-Cooked-Haggis.jpg

It looks like a turd inside a burst condom!!! :bigrin:

I dunno... Scotland has a lot to answer for, if you ask me.

TashaSW
Aug 29, 2007, 8:07 PM
I used to put LOTS AND LOTS of mayo on sandwiches, burgers, hotdogs!!
Then as I got older, my stomach and mayo kept getting into battles (Book in the bathroom time folks!)
Sadly... Ive been forced not to have mayo anymore :( a bit once in awhile is fine but not as much as I used to. *sniffles*

I do love ketchup on everything still :) mmmmmmmmm
I even put Ketchup on mashed potatos, chicken.... things you would never think of putting ketchup on lol (not always but a lot of times yes)

I have a passion love for Garlic... some people think its gross but ah, I can eat anything with garlic in it... even alone!! mmmmmmmmmm

Ally Kat
Aug 29, 2007, 9:43 PM
we used to have fried pickles at the sonic drive ins around here, loved them, you can still get them in places in memphis...I like to dip my french fries in a chocolate milkshake too

anne27
Aug 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
I have had fried pickles. They were actually pretty decent.

MarieDelta
Aug 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
I like to dip my french fries in a chocolate milkshake too

We used to do that in HS! The shakes were so thick you could turn them upside down and they wouldn't drop out.

Ah H.S.

Sour cream & chives on Plank style French Fries mmmmmmmm yummmy for less than a dollar :)

shameless agitator
Aug 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
Let's see I've had Menudo and loved it. Calf fries I can take or leave. Head cheese if it's done right is wonderful. If it's done badly it's inedible. I love raw oysters. I know a lot of people are put off by sushi, but I could live on the stuff. All in all, there isn't much I won't try and I think any food can be made yummy with the right prep. I'm pretty sure Az will back me up on that. I've been wanting to try haggis, but haven't been able to find any place that serves it that I would trust to do it right.

meteast chick
Aug 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well have you ever met your dinner before you ate it? Did you raise it and name it and love it and then fill your belly up? I have!

Cow's tongue was okay but made me gag to think of it.

Frog's Legs are good, they really do taste like chicken.

Head cheese is good but yeah it's gross to think of what it is.

Eat up,
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast

shameless agitator
Aug 29, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well have you ever met your dinner before you ate it? Did you raise it and name it and love it and then fill your belly up? I have!

Cow's tongue was okay but made me gag to think of it.

Frog's Legs are good, they really do taste like chicken.

Eat up,
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteastYes I have. At one point a friend of mine asked me to please stop referring to our dinner by name. We were having pork chops at the time. I've also eaten chickens & lamb that I'd raised. Organic free range lamb slow roasted on a wood fire, now that's good eats!

TashaSW
Aug 29, 2007, 11:28 PM
My mom always askes me to stuff the turkey for her at Thanksgiving and Christmas due to the turkey being so cold, it bothers her hands. (she has MS)

I often tease her by calling the Turkey - Sam.
"Poor Sam... gonna get all stuffed up and eaten tonight."

Mom would glare at me "don't give the turkey a name."

Me *gasps* "Don't listen to her Sam... she told me to stuff you so I can call you want I want!"
And moms looking at me as if Im insane hehe

I love bugging her :)

12voltman59
Aug 29, 2007, 11:30 PM
Raw oysters are hardly something gross in my opinion---I love em---from my time in Savannah--I helped a few friends harvest them and ones fresh out of the marsh---like eating a nice fresh tomato right off the vine===hardly anything better on God's green Earth than a really fresh, raw oyster--but then they are even better when they are steamed over a blazing hardwood fire on a nice cool night

gb11vt18
Aug 29, 2007, 11:38 PM
Haggis baby it taste so good though just don't look it up before you try it.

TashaSW
Aug 29, 2007, 11:39 PM
The GROSSEST thing I have ever eaten... due to a DARE
................. Raw Meat!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeeeeeeeeeep!! A small bit of grounded beef (raw) when I was 15.... 4 friends, eyes wide with horror.... they can't believe I actually did that!! :) :) :) :) :)

BEST PART?? for some reason I never got sick.
and just to gross them out even more.... I looked at them:
"Got more??" lol Course they refused. lol

shameless agitator
Aug 29, 2007, 11:47 PM
Raw oysters are hardly something gross in my opinion---I love em---from my time in Savannah--I helped a few friends harvest them and ones fresh out of the marsh---like eating a nice fresh tomato right off the vine===hardly anything better on God's green Earth than a really fresh, raw oyster--but then they are even better when they are steamed over a blazing hardwood fire on a nice cool nightWell, I don't think it's gross iether or I wouldn't eat it obviously. Big bag of oysters & a six pack of guiness= perfect picnic

mistymockingbird
Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 PM
I used to be a super picky eater as a kid. I think I've out grown it.

Calf fries (Love them, a perk of growing up around ranches, you get them super fresh. I like mine with bbq sauce. I have a friend whose mom makes gravy out of the pan drippings after she's fried them. I draw the line there.)

Frog legs

Menudo

Saumagen (The German version of haggis)

Blutwurst (Blood sausage, requires lots of mustard, but good)

Armadillo meat in chili

Barbacoa burritos

Chocolate stew (Home made by a Filipino friend. Replace chocolate with blood and now you know what it is)

Octopus

Sushi and sashimi. (I love it, some people think its gross)

naive
Aug 30, 2007, 5:02 AM
i'm surprised that nobody has said this but maybe i'm the only asian here.

chicken feet!

dafydd
Aug 30, 2007, 5:21 AM
The GROSSEST thing I have ever eaten... due to a DARE
................. Raw Meat!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeeeeeeeeeep!! A small bit of grounded beef (raw) when I was 15.... 4 friends, eyes wide with horror.... they can't believe I actually did that!! :) :) :) :) :)

BEST PART?? for some reason I never got sick.
and just to gross them out even more.... I looked at them:
"Got more??" lol Course they refused. lol

But that's delicious. Steak Tartare. I won't eat a steak unless it's still bleeding. Heavily.

D

jo69guy
Aug 30, 2007, 6:35 AM
I like raw oysters, and Mussels. Raw oysters are like a snot wad when you eat them. Have also had Copperhead, enjoy Alligator.:2cents:

Cesca
Aug 30, 2007, 7:14 AM
Butter Pies. You can just feel the pounds go on all over with every bite.

anne27
Aug 30, 2007, 8:00 AM

Eat up,
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast

Ewwww! I watched my mom make head cheese once *shudders down to my toes*. I didn't eat any kind of lunchmeat for YEARS after that!

meteast chick
Aug 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
Ewwww! I watched my mom make head cheese once *shudders down to my toes*. I didn't eat any kind of lunchmeat for YEARS after that!

That's okay. I didn't eat beef of any kind for years during my teenage years. I think it was some kind of memory from growing up on a farm, having had my dad buy a cute little calf whom we'd name and feed and love for months and then one day...MOOOOO! He's on our plates. When I think of poor Cutie, Blackie, Goldie, et. all, I go to a weird place. It's like...omg I'm eating my friend, but damn he's good!

bhg08054
Aug 30, 2007, 8:13 PM
I'm not too much into eating gross things myself, but I sure as hell enjoy watching Andrew Zimmern (http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foods/bizarre-foods.html) eat anything!

Doggie_Wood
Aug 31, 2007, 1:09 AM
i'm surprised that nobody has said this but maybe i'm the only asian here.

chicken feet!

never eaten them but I have played chicken foot before

:doggie:

dafydd
Sep 1, 2007, 6:06 AM

What on earth is head cheese? I thought it was something completely different, but then you mentioned your mum....
:eek:
d

southernABcouple
Sep 7, 2007, 8:15 PM
Ok how about Prairie Oysters. They are not gross to me in any way, but I know many that think they are just gross.

babsalonia4u
Sep 7, 2007, 9:19 PM
i love to bbq a marinated steak and eat all the nice burnt fat around the edges and bone ~ greasy deliciousness!:bigrin:

AdamKadmon43
Sep 7, 2007, 9:21 PM
Probably the grossest thing that I like to eat is Marmite.

Probably the grossest thing that other people like to eat is their fellow creatures... I do not for the life of me understand how anyone in their right mind can eat a piece of a cow or a pig.... UGH...

**** There I go moralizing again... ****

Adam

Curious.Cats
Sep 7, 2007, 10:04 PM
Compared to some of the things I've read, mine is going to seem like nothing. Whenever I mention this sandwich to people they seem to gross out. There seems to be a lot of people that don't like the mayo.

Mayo, peanut butter and cucumber on bread. It's excellent!

TashaSW
Sep 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
My sister was having a milkshake the other day and was pouring sugar in it.

I don't know if thats common or not but I thought it was gross lol Since sugar doesn't disolve in cold drinks.

Zeston
Sep 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
Being raised by Scots and living in the South gave me a strong stomach,

I've had:

Gator, Frog Legs, Turtle, Krawdads (krayfish), Blood Sausage, Haggis, Shepherds' Pie (the kind with sheep parts made into a casserole), Groundhog, Eel (love it as sushi), pickled anything-that-stands-still-long-enough, and I cook all my beef and pork on the med-rare side.

I love all of it. Thus, I'm classified as canivore. :)

anne27
Sep 8, 2007, 12:22 AM
What on earth is head cheese? I thought it was something completely different, but then you mentioned your mum....
:eek:
d

Head cheese - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

It's made up of bits and parts of what's inside the head of animals. It's pieced together in a jell and pressed and made into a lunchmeat. Rather disgusting.

AdamKadmon43
Sep 8, 2007, 1:54 AM
Mayo, peanut butter and cucumber on bread. It's excellent!

I can not find anything gross about that one.... in fact, I believe that I may have all of those ingredients and I am going to go make myself one of those right now.

*** I wonder if maybe I am pregnant or something ****

Adam

dafydd
Sep 8, 2007, 2:56 AM
Head cheese - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

It's made up of bits and parts of what's inside the head of animals. It's pieced together in a jell and pressed and made into a lunchmeat. Rather disgusting.

I can't believe it.....I won't believe it....
d

alisbi
Sep 9, 2007, 9:33 AM
I have traveled extensivly in my time and have eaten just about every thing.Even stuff that was vile even to me.Ate it any way.
Muskrat,goundhog,pigeon,porcupine,possum,haggis,YE S Prarie Oysters,cows tongue, cows head,cows heart,and here is one of those vile ones,Tripe(cows stomach!)

So while I understand the question, there is not much I would not eat!

ShyBritInMI
Sep 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
im english but if you look up marmite, you might think it is basically shit in a jar....and to be fair it is!....its yeast extract we put on toast and bread, it gives you horrific bad breath but god i love it, but not the best way to get you laid!.

Vuarra
Sep 9, 2007, 2:12 PM
I am rather vanilla with what I would and would not eat, but if we're discussing strange things, I used to work in a kosher butcher shop, processing the slaughtered beef.

The process (that I was part of) involved removing certain veins (and arteries), certain "silver skin" membranes, immersion in water, salting, and then removing salt.

The only way to make sure you have removed all the salt (which will cure the meat if left on the cut inappropriately) is to TASTE the meat. I was known as the "Meat Kisser", because no one else would put their lips on uncooked beef.

Not so bad, really.

Until someone wanted head pieces kosher. I told the owners that while I'd go with cheek meat, and even eyes, I was not going to taste raw brain. The owners looked at each other, then at me, and (even though I'd been there for several years) said, "You just can't find good help anymore."

Hmph!

Edit: oh, yeah... I still like my steaks, etc, medium, but in a pinch, I'm not afraid of raw.

dickhand
Sep 9, 2007, 5:18 PM
When I was 5 y/o or so in Germany, I stayed with one of my aunts while my parents were clearing quarters (army term for moving out) . Dad had order's for the states . Anyway , my uncle brought home an entire pig's head and set it on the kitchen table . At that point I thought this was pretty neat . Then I watched as my aunt and uncle proceeded to strip everything that wasn't bone or hair from the skull and boiling it and grinding it up to a grey looking paste adding spices along the way . They then pressed this stuff into moulds and refrigerated it . There was no way in hell I was going to eat it , but my dad loved it . This one of the last memories I have of Germany .

I stayed with a friend for a few months that would pick up anything that he would hit on the road , for instance deer , rabbit , racoon or porcupine . The little critters he mostly debone and ground into hamburg . Well , mysteryburg actually . If we had pasta and meat sauce or pizza or anything that had ground meat in it he would ask me after if I liked it . Then he would let me know what it was I had just eaten for a critter . At least it was fresh . He didn't just pick up any roadkill . Only what he hit himself .

Fresia
Apr 21, 2015, 12:31 AM
Sweetbreads with potato pancakes.
I didn't know exactly what sweetbreads were when I tasted it.
Even not knowing what it was I didn't like it.

Sweetbreads are the brains of a cow.
Potato pancakes are decadent.

Melody Dean
Apr 21, 2015, 9:00 AM
I like to follow up sour things with sweet things. Like eating a pickle and chocolate. Exercises my taste buds.