PDA

View Full Version : Question about Roomates (O/T Nothing to do with sex)

TashaSW
Aug 28, 2007, 11:02 AM
I had a question......

I keep thinking of the idea of wanting a roomate... I hate being alone and would love to have someone here!!

THEN theres... I know theres some people who are horrible roomates and some will even lie if they really need a place (like telling you thet are neat and tidy when they aren't) and I am trying to avoid "roomate nightmare" lol

Have any of you ever choosen a roomate?? How did you do it and what was your experiences?? How did you know how much to charge for rent??

Is it even a good idea??

Let me know any ideas :) I told my mom who just said Im crazy for even considering the idea. Is it??
My dad thinks I should just wait till I get a gf cause I never know if she'll just move in lol (yes he said that.)

Tasha

Daviecurious
Aug 28, 2007, 11:32 AM
Look at the classifieds in the local newspaper. Should be able to get an idea of what folks are charging for rent, and how "available" renters are.

Then sit down and write a list of rules that you both can live by, i.e. when the rent is due, who takes out the garbage, what to do about utilities, ect. ect.

Then start screening applicants, pehaps at a neutral place like a coffee shop. Get references, call the references, and trust you instincts. You are, after all, starting a business as a landlord. And check local landlord/tenet laws. Could be an eye-opener, and you may wish to scrap the idea altogether.

Hope this helps. And roomies can be a wonderful asset.

Be safe, have fun! :)

TashaSW
Aug 28, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ya but Im deaf so that kinda makes things harder...
True I probably could get my sister to help out in that part with the calls and "interviews"
Do you think email addy will be ok?? (I could easily set up a acct just for that on gmail.. .that way no one will know my name either if Im contacted by a sicko lol)

Another question..... should you even mention deaf ? what about gay/lesbian friendly? (I would be fine if she's straight... but would like her to be open minded so how would you word that?)

Tasha

Da Doctor
Aug 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
roomates.com or rent .com can help you out there. you can even search for gay profiles if you think you would be most comfortable with a gay /lesbian roomate.