PDA

View Full Version : Knickers and Tights v Panties and Pantyhose

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:02 PM
Now... plain english tonight because this is serious stuff.

Some of you will know my loathing of the American words panties and pantyhose. Dont they just sound so unsexy and insipid?? The British "knickers" for panties and "tights" for pantyhose sounds so much better and in the case of the former, infinitely sexier. In the case of tights/pantyhose they couldnt be sexy if they tried, but are useful for keeping the arse warm in mid winter when the freezing cold wind blows up where the sun darent shine! Bloody awful incumberance in the love stakes anyway, though handy when fighting off the advances of the unwanted!!!

Of course its a preference these terms. Its what I was brought up with. But in the case of knickers, it doubles up as a terrific profanity just as of course does bollox or bollocks or cobblers or knackers(balls).

There is also the small matter of the word arse as opposed to ass. Now ass is certainly easier to type, but do any of us really want to walk about with a donkey at the top of our legs??? And telling someone they are talking bollox by by shouting at them.. "yer arse!!!" is one of my favourite put downs. "Yer ass" doesnt quite do it for me I'm afraid, and like the words panties and pantyhose is wimpy and sounds silly...

British and American english have their strong points, but Im afraid in matters sexual and in matters undies, american english is so wishy washy as not to be at the races.

I love my Americans m8s dearly, but really.. panties? pantyhose? ass?? come on.. yas all jokin now???

ps.. the scots for arse isnt arse but erse which is also the proper word for gaelic, and where I come from is the favoured preference..but thats probably too much... but no matter...I digress...

Food for thought... merely phase 1 of the Fran campaign for the elimination of panties, pantyhose and ass. But leave the donkeys alone!! tee hee:tong:

Skater Boy
Aug 27, 2007, 7:16 PM
Don't forget "Garters" versus "Suspenders"!

Tbh, I have no preference between the various dialects, as long as the message is clear.

But "kick ass" sounds truer than "kick arse" to me. I mean... "kicking ass" is a wholly American thing isn't it?

I must say, "kicking arse" seems like an entirely Un-British concept. ;) :bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:18 PM
In british english it tends to be boot yer or their arse! U wanna kick a poor defenceless donkey..fine..me call the sspca.:bigrin:

arana
Aug 27, 2007, 7:21 PM
I like knickers :tong: but to me they are more like bloomers or were till you came along...fran. hate pantyhose ... tights aren't really pantyhose (nylons), to me, so I don't think of the two quite the same. Kids wear tights. Ballerina's wear tights. Similar but one is denser then the other. Robinhood and his merry men wear tights.... Joe Namath wears pantyhose.
I'm rambling....what was the question?

Vuarra
Aug 27, 2007, 7:27 PM
Frannie, it all depends on how you are raised... in my neck of the woods, neither knickers nor panties are generally used.... it's "undies", or "underwear".

I'd rather hear panties or knickers than underwear... at least it doesn't sound like you're at the doctors.

Now, as for the ass versus arse (erse?) routine.... I think we'll all start saying or typing arse as soon as we start saying cunt for pussy, and for exactly the same reason.

There is a reason we have all these dialects, such as Austrailian English, American English, Cockney, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Mostly because the Americans are so tight-assed... (tight-arsed?) that they took the worse of the Victorian era, and made it more prudish. (example: wardrobe malfunction... women don't have nipples?). Just remember that language is a tool, and not everyone uses a hammer the same way.

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:32 PM
Don't forget "Garters" versus "Suspenders"!

Tbh, I have no preference between the various dialects, as long as the message is clear.

But "kick ass" sounds truer than "kick arse" to me. I mean... "kicking ass" is a wholly American thing isn't it?

I must say, "kicking arse" seems like an entirely Un-British concept. ;) :bigrin:
Don wear sussies much nowdays.. tend 2 wear holdups... do miss em tho..now they r sexy...garters hold up lil boys socks...

An as a matta of interest..the brits, nice peeps that they r...wer kickin arse for a century or two fore the US was even invented... nowt 2 b proud of.. merely a fact of historical record!!:bigrin:

Skater Boy
Aug 27, 2007, 7:32 PM
Now, as for the ass versus arse (erse?) routine.... I think we'll all start saying or typing arse as soon as we start saying cunt for pussy, and for exactly the same reason.

Yeah, the double entendre lends weight to Fran's argument. I've yet to meet a woman with a nice "ass"... although my search continues... :bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:33 PM
I like knickers :tong: but to me they are more like bloomers or were till you came along...fran. hate pantyhose ... tights aren't really pantyhose (nylons), to me, so I don't think of the two quite the same. Kids wear tights. Ballerina's wear tights. Similar but one is denser then the other. Robinhood and his merry men wear tights.... Joe Namath wears pantyhose.
I'm rambling....what was the question?

U talkin grannie knickers Ran..tee hee.. me wears skimpy knickers..not the same thing at all!!!:tong:

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:37 PM
Say wot for pussy Vu?? God.. me has neva used that c word in me life.... an won start now... women r luffly.. 2 describe ne part of em wiv such a gross soundin word is..gross!!!:bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 7:39 PM
An Skater Boy..let me tellya me arse is luffly!!! So ther!!:bigrin:

MarieDelta
Aug 27, 2007, 7:50 PM
Hell, I was raised to call all underwear 'shorts' or 'skivvies'. Panties is a strange concept- women wear panties, men wear underwear or boxers...

Hell, I like callin' 'em knickers but it always makes me think of the NY Knicks (http://www.nba.com/knicks/)LOL.

As for Ass/Arse... Arse seems more formal than sexy?

Isn't language a funny thing?

m

the mage
Aug 27, 2007, 7:52 PM
Here in Kanukistan knickers implies granny panties and tights are thick and worn in winter.
Panties are sexy and sheer smooth shiny leg enhancing panyhose are fine by me.

Skater Boy
Aug 27, 2007, 7:52 PM
An Skater Boy..let me tellya me arse is luffly!!! So ther!!:bigrin:

Oh, I don't doubt it, Fran. Although if you wanna proove it by posting a photo, then by all means, be my guest! I'm sure a shot of you in some "sussies" would be a welcome distraction for most (if not all) of us here! ;) :tong:

(Yes, I was quite disappointed that there's no photo of you on your profile page...)

Skater Boy
Aug 27, 2007, 7:57 PM
As for Ass/Arse... Arse seems more formal than sexy?

Yup, but one rarely mistakes an "arse" for a donkey. And that has its advantages.

darkeyes
Aug 27, 2007, 8:58 PM
An wenya hears sum 1 from edinburgh glasgow liverpool manchester or london an lotsa otha places ova ere say the word arse..it aint formal in ne way....

MarieDelta
Aug 27, 2007, 9:15 PM
An wenya hears sum 1 from edinburgh glasgow liverpool manchester or london an lotsa otha places ova ere say the word arse..it aint formal in ne way....

Someday I'll have to hear it for myself an Judge :P

Vuarra
Aug 27, 2007, 9:20 PM
Sorry, Fran, but I think women are lovely as well, but none of them has a va***a, all of them have sexy cunts.

Pussy is a diminutive, lessening the effect of the word, altering it's "magic", so to speak.

The V word that I refuse to say means "sheath" or "scabbord", something the Roman soldiers would stick their "swords" into. I find that more demeaning to women than *any* use of the word cunt.

As for anyone being demeaned by "The C Word", why is it acceptable to call guys "dicks"? Same general thing, right?

AdamKadmon43
Aug 27, 2007, 10:05 PM
......Some of you will know my loathing of the American words panties and pantyhose. Dont they just sound so unsexy and insipid?? ..... Bloody awful incumberance in the love stakes anyway
I suppose that loathing certain terminology is all a matter of one's perspective on things. I, for example have developed a great loathing for the ubiquitious use of the word "bloody" that UK people are so overly fond of..... "Bloody this", and "Bloody that", and "Bloody something or other".

Could they not possibly find some other less-unpleasant adjective to stick in front of everything?

Adam

AdamKadmon43
Aug 27, 2007, 10:20 PM
I guess things could be worse.... They might start calling them bloody knickers and tights. (or even worse .... bloody arse)

Skater Boy
Aug 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
I suppose that loathing certain terminology is all a matter of one's perspective on things. I, for example have developed a great loathing for the ubiquitious use of the word "bloody" that UK people are so overly fond of..... "Bloody this", and "Bloody that", and "Bloody something or other".

Could they not possibly find some other less-unpleasant adjective to stick in front of everything?

Adam

Mmm, "bloody" is a word used mostly when people wanna use profanity but need to tone it down a bit. So you might say "bloody hell!" in one situation, where "f*cking hell!" might be deemed too severe.

I, personally, never use "bloody", because it sounds half-arsed (assed? take your pick!) I say "f*cking" or nothing at all.

But I think some of us Brits see it as a more polite way of using swear-words.

AdamKadmon43
Aug 27, 2007, 11:06 PM
OK.. I will try to accept that.

Even if it bloody fuckin' kills me to do so.

gb11vt18
Aug 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah Kicking Ass so much cooler I think I am going to Kick your Ass to next week, It just sounds better but I do love the European English sounds more pure than the Americian English

biwords
Aug 28, 2007, 1:26 AM
Everyone favors their own dialect. When Lee Remick said "He tore off my panties and did what he wanted" in the film Anatomy of a Murder, millions of men got wood, and doubtless millions of women got wet.

To me, here in Canada, 'arse' is a vulgar and completely unerotic word. Lee Remick had an ass; Benny Hill had an arse. An arse is what gets kicked in vaudeville or silent movies. "Honey, you have a great arse" -- ??!! -- no thanks!

Long Duck Dong
Aug 28, 2007, 1:55 AM
lol we must be a weird lot in nz lol

knickers....sounds like nickers.....a thief or person that steals stuff

ass/arse.... arse is a refined way of saying * you arsehole v's you asshole..... btw calling somebody a asshole...is a way of calling them a fuckwit, dickhead. tosser ( wanker ) etc

most common term for a ladies private parts, is a pussy.... something that loves a good stroking and a lil tender loving term...... cunt is a term you use to describe the next door neighbour, when they piss you off by playing loud music at 3 am

g strings are fart splitters
tighty whities are nut crushers
boxer shorts are boxers
underwear aka, undies, undergrarks ( sounds like a car skidding on gravel ), shit catchers
panties are something that old ladies and feminine males wear
and beleive it or not... we even have a range of ladies underwear called bikini briefs.....

now as for the americans ( yanks ) and the british ( whinging poms )....
its a widely regarded opinion that the yanks come in peace, armed with nukes.... and that the british are a tough race ( spending 90% of their time in the pub ).. yet both claim to use the english language, which is actually about 20 different languages put in a blender for 20 seconds on high

if it any surprise that both countries have a high interest in the nature of peoples undergarments, while over here in NZ... we have no such interest.....our only concern being that the target of our affections is not wearing any under garments....as slamming the best parts of a 7 inch meat missle thru cotton, is not the best start to a damm good fuck....or rogering, humpme dumpme, roll in the hay, romp in the sheets and all the other odd terms that the yanks and poms use, that generally take longer to say, than it does for the average yank and pom male to stick it in and blow....:tong::tong::tong:

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 5:41 AM

AdamBloody hell.. ya mus b kiddin..its a triff word Adam babes... wiv due respect..yas talkin through ya arse an a rite loada bollox! Ya reckon the word "fukkin" is a less unpleasant word?? Only 1 think 2 say ere ..knickers!!!:bigrin:

Michael623
Aug 28, 2007, 6:18 AM
I think the best thing about this thread is that it shows, at least in the opening post, that Fran CAN speak English.

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 6:27 AM
I think the best thing about this thread is that it shows, at least in the opening post, that Fran CAN speak English.

Fran can yummie Jags... dunno wy it surprises ya...hav posted often enuff in propa english 2 giveya an idea! As me keeps tellin peeps..me daft..not stupid!:tong: Huggles.:bigrin:

the mage
Aug 28, 2007, 7:46 AM
Fran can yummie Jags... dunno wy it surprises ya...hav posted often enuff in propa english 2 giveya an idea! As me keeps tellin peeps..me daft..not stupid!:tong: Huggles.:bigrin:

.....ya but unreadable is unreadable.....

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 8:05 AM
.....ya but unreadable is unreadable.....

Thotta Mage wos meant 2 b smart??? Seems at least 1 porves that not 2 b the case..tee hee:tong: x

HighEnergy
Aug 28, 2007, 8:40 AM
Ah, the joys of the "English" language. My mother is from Broadstairs, Kent (the south eastern coast of England) and my father's family hales from the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee (think Deliverance, The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Dukes of Hazard.) Even in my own family, each side thinks I talk funny, as my language is peppered with things from both sides. I can say purt near, oh bloody hell, da-amn with 2 syllables, go to the loo, that's like taking coals to Newcastle, and hot diggety all with ease.

I actually had an easier time getting around Mexico City with marginal Spanish than I did in a train station in London when I was 16, lo these many years ago. In Victoria Station I asked for directions to the bathroom, and got a room full of showers. I asked for the restroom, and got a room full of rocking chairs and couches. I finally went to the bobby and said I was a stupid American and I had to urinate. The funny thing is I'd been sent to the loo all my life, but did I think of that word at the time? Hell no.

I was terrified when the owner of the bed & breakfast we were staying in told me he'd knock me up at 7 am with a nice cup of tea. Which this side of the pond means to get pregnant and over there means he'd knock on the door to wake me up. OY!

The first time my English Grandmother came to this country, she kept pointing out the largest, most beautiful homes and my mother told her they were funeral parlors, where we send the dead to be "taken care of" and visited, which was a completely foreign idea to Grandma. One day in the car she suddenly screamed, "that's going TOO FAR!" It was a blinking neon sign that said, "BODY SHOP" which is where one takes to have work done on a car after a wreck.

But for the record, it's "don't get your knickers in a twist" and "put your big girl panties on and deal with it." Which is even more fun said to my transgendered friend. ;)

Doggie_Wood
Aug 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thotta Mage wos meant 2 b smart??? Seems at least 1 porves that not 2 b the case..tee hee:tong: x

me thot hukd on phoniks (skots ver) was a prerequisit fran- dun ne body no nufin?
:cool: :tong:

:doggie:

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 6:20 PM
tee hee.. nope Doggie....:bigrin:

Sarasvati
Aug 28, 2007, 6:23 PM
Shall I stick my oar into this conversation?

You wear your words well darkeyes and strip our American friends of their fig leaves with your sharp tongue leaving their panties exposed to all for what they are - covers for rude thoughts. Mmm

Eeyore

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 6:34 PM
Me has rude thots bout lots of me american m8s believe me:bigrin:.. but mos of all me luffs em cos wen me has needed em they been around for me..an that me can neva forget.. the lingo bit is lotsa fun 2 me.. me dus hate lotsa american words spesh panties pantyhose an ass.. an am not kiddin wen me sez me wud luff 2 c em eliminated an neva heard again! Sum peeps aint kiddin wen they wish they neva heard of me gain an wud gladly consign franspeak 2 the dustbin of history... but thats wot life's about..difference an havin laff bout it wiv peeps an gloryin in it.. but neva lettin it get so serious we learn 2 h8 an hav contempt for othas...

MarieDelta
Aug 28, 2007, 6:44 PM
England and America are two countries separated by a common language. George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Just to throw that into the mix :)

darkeyes
Aug 28, 2007, 6:47 PM
Me not from England or America tho Marie..tee hee:tong::bigrin:

MarieDelta
Aug 28, 2007, 6:50 PM
:tong: but me luffs ya anyways :bigrin: brat!

raistkit
Aug 28, 2007, 6:56 PM
i'm old enough, and we're going way back 1965, mom's english. i remember summer sundresses i looked so forward to wearing them, only i had to wear my matching bloomers, or knikers, pick your word underneath. and under them a pair of panties. can't feel any breezes that way. and tights were meant for winter, might have just called them red and ugly long underwear for girls. so sorry call them panties, thongs , nylons, my personal fav sport's bra's and boy shorts. i'm gonna wear them under my sundress and go for a walk and feel all the breezes. tights and knickers make me think of support hose, and i'm just not that old yet. cultural differences, tell you what you show me your knickers , and i'll show you my tightie whities, you on darkeyes.

kit

Sarasvati
Aug 28, 2007, 6:57 PM
Eeyore - just covering my ass

chook
Aug 28, 2007, 9:16 PM
Panties, knickers, bloomers, undies, underdungers, whatever you want to call them, are only designed for women to wear so's they dont stick to anything they sit on. Anyway they are better than a zoo because in each one you'll find an Ass a Pussy and a couple of thousand Hares.

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 6:45 AM
Panties, knickers, bloomers, undies, underdungers, whatever you want to call them, are only designed for women to wear so's they dont stick to anything they sit on. Anyway they are better than a zoo because in each one you'll find an Ass a Pussy and a couple of thousand Hares.

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

Aint no ass in my knicks Chook...thats the whole point... tee hee:bigrin:

CuddlyKate
Aug 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
Aint no ass in my knicks Chook...thats the whole point... tee hee:bigrin:

And you're enjoying this even more. One day someone is going to give you a run for your money Frances. I look forward to it.:bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 29, 2007, 3:22 PM
So this is wotya do wen me is doin me wage slavery Paterson????:tong: