PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Windows Music Corner.

ForbiddenWindow
Aug 17, 2007, 3:04 PM
Hey just had this really cool idea, came up with not to long ago. Since I'm pretty on top of my music to date I hope to share some variety and styles of music you'll all enjoy. Each week I will look at a various type of music, and introduce artists. For those of you who have zune or Itunes, you will be able to benefit immensly. But be forwarned, my specialties are Grunge - Rock - And ELECTRONICA. I am familiar and also in touch with music history, god i cant believe they had that as a college course for an english elective.... anywho getting off topic.

I hope to share my music, and the best music there is from each genre every week so you wont be dissapointed. Each week will include an artist and a background of historical information on the formation of such and such band.

STAY TUNED.
Forbidden.

kitten
Aug 17, 2007, 4:16 PM
Awesome idea! I look forward to your posts.

I still want my body painted, too...

:bigrin:

big hugs,

Skater Boy
Aug 17, 2007, 4:46 PM
Dude, this sounds great! I love music, and its always good to discover new bands/artists. I look forward to it...

Azrael
Aug 17, 2007, 4:56 PM
Here's an old one from my archives. It's from when I was like 19 and wanted to be a rock writer.
Morbid Angel- Covenant
As the eerie silence fades fretboard chaos engulfs the listener. Perception of time is distorted by a chaotic battery from Pete Sandoval as 'Rapture' roars out of the speakers. Morbid Angel's third album finds Trey and company dwelling in their familiar warp speed motif with far more attention to songwriting than most within the genre. On a historical note, this was the first Death Metal album released on a major label, in this case Giant. While not as conceptually ambitious as it's predecessor, Covenant is an immensely solid album in it's own right.
Trey Azagthoth's talents as a composer and guitar player are luminously displayed. This being the first album without second guitar Richard Brunelle, the reins are firmly in Trey's capable hands. The result is nothing short of stunning. While most classically trained musicians would scoff at the frenzied soloing, what is presented possesses a rare vibrant energy. Also, an element of elegance as well as plain and simple good taste are exhibited.
Death Metal shredding and blasting blitzkrieg tempos are balanced with dynamics that summon to mind the most intense Free Jazz. Think Ornette Coleman frantic. For all the thrashing about, these musicians masterfully avoid sounding masturbatory or overindulgent. David Vincent provides a powerful sinister edge, from his capable bass work to his raspy growl. In an out of character move, he even attempts conventional (forget that "clean" nonsense) singing on the closer track 'God of Emptiness". In this song he assumes the role of two different characters, the accuser and the tempter. As a result this song is a near epic with an impressive sense of contrast. From his provocatively blasphemous lyrics to his commanding presence as a frontman, Vincent's performance is simply amazing.
Production quality is reasonable as far as guitar and bass distinction. Sadly, while this album contains some brilliant percussion work, Flemming Rasmussen could have done far more justice to Sandoval in the mix. The sound is rich with cymbals and snare, but the toms and bass drums sound rather weak and muddy. In spite of this, Pete Sandoval delivers an astonishing percussive barrage vaguely reminescent of early Napalm Death with a Prog/Jazz Fusion sensibility. Stand out tracks include 'Rapture', 'Angel of Disease' and 'Sworn to the Black' although all are strong. An absolutely essential recording.

DiamondDog
Aug 18, 2007, 1:36 PM
sounds fun (no pun), what types of music are you into?

ForbiddenWindow
Aug 18, 2007, 1:45 PM
I'm into everything, and will try to cover much as possible while corresponding various genres throughout the world. I will have to dig out my old notebooks from Music Theory/History. So be patient while I am pondering on where to start the tour.

Skater Boy
Aug 18, 2007, 5:22 PM
I'm into everything, and will try to cover much as possible while corresponding various genres throughout the world. I will have to dig out my old notebooks from Music Theory/History. So be patient while I am pondering on where to start the tour.

Don't forget Folk Music, Flamenco, Jazz and Classical... ;):)

And if you need any recommendations, just shout!