PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn today?

Azrael
Aug 13, 2007, 1:53 AM
I try to learn new shit every day. In the spirit of this, what, if anything did you learn today? I learned how to make Creme Brulee :bigrin:

ForbiddenWindow
Aug 13, 2007, 4:17 AM
Learned how to be inovative without a lighter, i used a birthday candle! Though i waited untill they blew everything out to enjoy my cigarette tho. LoL.

kitten
Aug 13, 2007, 4:22 AM
I am learning about the Perseids meteor shower that is supposed to be visible here in the quiet hours before dawn today.

Saw the Leonids meteor shower a few years ago and it was astounding!

Good question,

scubaman
Aug 13, 2007, 4:28 AM
I learned that good things comes to those who wait! It does pay to be patient.

Azrael
Aug 13, 2007, 10:13 AM
I am learning about the Perseids meteor shower that is supposed to be visible here in the quiet hours before dawn today.

Saw the Leonids meteor shower a few years ago and it was astounding!

Good question,

Bad-ass, that :cool:

darkeyes
Aug 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
How much of a rip off car insurance is!

MarieDelta
Aug 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
I learned that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

original_couple
Aug 13, 2007, 1:24 PM
That if u dont't go for something u want, u will wakr up regreting the fact that life goes on and leaves u behind. So, go for it, u win , u lose, unless u try u will never know x

kitten
Aug 13, 2007, 2:13 PM
Stayed up most of the night and saw two very brilliant, bright meteors dashing across the sky. Rewarding but am now a sleepy head.

Something else I am learning about today:
How much I already miss my sister - she was here for a five day visit and left an hour ago.
And perfecting how to cook "omelet pancakes"(a new, interesting dish my daughter and I created last week).

good stuff,

raistkit
Aug 13, 2007, 4:30 PM
learned more about programming my cnc today. thought i had it pretty much down pat. just goes to show you do learn something new every day.

kit

darkeyes
Aug 13, 2007, 4:41 PM
That we gettin 600 quid off the car we buyin.. ta pops..tee hee:bigrin:

darkeyes
Aug 13, 2007, 4:50 PM
An wot did u lot learn 2 day?? Keep of the roads in SE Scotland in general an Edinburgh in particular..Fran has er own wheels as of this Friday..tee hee:bigrin:

O yea...an west of Scotland an NE England..me pays u lot a visit or 2 2...lol:bigrin:

happyjoe68
Aug 13, 2007, 5:18 PM
That I know where I am ...

Azrael
Aug 13, 2007, 5:40 PM
And once again, something I re-learn damn near every day. ASSUME NOTHING.
Oh, and my Creme Brulee earned the complements of my chef :bigrin:

HighEnergy
Aug 13, 2007, 5:59 PM
Creme Brulee? Care to share the recipe and technique? I am very impressed.

I was evaluating a house for a refi today. When they drywalled the ceiling in the finished basement, they left a hole to turn the outside water on and off, and covered it with a register vent so it blended in perfectly. I thought that very clever.

FalconAngel
Aug 13, 2007, 7:02 PM
I learned that John Wayne was offered a part in Blazing Saddles, but turned it down because there was so much swearing.

Azrael
Aug 13, 2007, 8:48 PM
Creme Brulee? Care to share the recipe and technique? I am very impressed.

I was evaluating a house for a refi today. When they drywalled the ceiling in the finished basement, they left a hole to turn the outside water on and off, and covered it with a register vent so it blended in perfectly. I thought that very clever.

Sure. Here goes.
Berserk Creme Brulee
Preheat oven to 350
1/4 tbsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream (hot)
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste
Mix the egg yolks in a bowl w/the sugar
whisk in salt and vanilla and slowly add cream, still mixing
put towels along the bottom of a deep baking pan then place bowls in pan. Ladle mixture in to the bowls, then fill the pan with water so the bowls are almost totally immersed. This is to insulate the custard in the bottom of the dishes from burning. Bake @ 350 for about 25 minutes.
Once 25 mins have passed let it chill in the fridge for at least a few hours.
Top off with a thin layer of brown sugar, caramelize with a torch until evenly melted, serve and enjoy! Serves 4.
Hope you like it. As for the flavor, I like cinnamon but you can get all sorts of adventurous with this. Oh, and the place I work at garnished with a bit of whipped cream and a sliced strawberry, but just a wee bit of cream.

darkeyes
Aug 13, 2007, 9:02 PM
2 day is the 1st day me goes back 2 work afta me hols... always knew me hated the job... now me goin back...hav learned me loathes it more than eva:(... still.. 3 weeks an its all done wiv..an it cant cum 2 kwik!!!:bigrin:

TaylorMade
Aug 13, 2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know about ya'll , but one guy learned that he should make sure her should have the creditcard he plans on using to pay , or else I will find new words for the concept of asshole.

*Taylor*

Vuarra
Aug 14, 2007, 12:07 AM
I learned how much fun it is to work with people who don't care about their job. :eek:

AdamKadmon43
Aug 14, 2007, 12:16 AM
I have learned of the great joys of spending 3 days in detox.

mistymockingbird
Aug 14, 2007, 1:24 AM
I learned that even though my best friend is going through a dark period in his life that there's still some fight left in him. Fight that I had been afraid was gone forever.

Skater Boy
Aug 14, 2007, 5:05 AM
I learned that "there are two types of people in the world, my friend... those who have the rope around their neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting".

Wowawawaw... wah-wah-wah!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/JBASHORUN/anonymous-clint-eastwood-8401033.jpg

Oh, and there are "those who have loaded guns, and those who do the digging!"

happyjoe68
Aug 14, 2007, 12:44 PM
"and when that rope pulls tight, you can feel the devil bite your ass"

I learned that "there are two types of people in the world, my friend... those who have the rope around their neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting".

Wowawawaw... wah-wah-wah!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/JBASHORUN/anonymous-clint-eastwood-8401033.jpg

Oh, and there are "those who have loaded guns, and those who do the digging!"

MarieDelta
Aug 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
I have learned there are two types of people in the world: those that seperate the world into two types, and those who don't.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z84/mariesophia66/black_cat_runs.gif

Skater Boy
Aug 14, 2007, 1:16 PM
I have learned there are two types of people in the world: those that seperate the world into two types, and those who don't.

Well, they do say that organizing things into recognizable catagories makes them easier to understand. But then you end up generalizing and over-simplifying things.

Hmm, when Clint says: "Do you feel lucky... well do ya? Punk!" I often find myself questioning whether I am indeed feeling fortunate on that particular day.

More often than not, Lady Lucky is nowhere to be seen...

She's probably run off with another man! :( :bigrin:

Ain't that always the way...

Herbwoman39
Aug 14, 2007, 3:43 PM
I learned how to make a fruit smoothie in my new blender. Yesterday I learned about food combining and how eating meat and cheese together is a bad combo.

I agree completely, btw...any day you don't learn something new is a waste of a day :)

darkeyes
Aug 14, 2007, 6:35 PM
How much I hate spotty 15 yo boys on buses!!!

the mage
Aug 14, 2007, 9:25 PM
long walks in the woods with out of shape guys does not make for good sex..

JoyJoyHollywood
Aug 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
I learned how to make a new kind of Molotov cocktail using chlorine tablets, petrol and an empty two liter bottle of Coke.

It's pretty fun. Good thing to know. Just in case.

AdamKadmon43
Aug 14, 2007, 11:39 PM
By virtue of not being able to sleep at 2 am this morning, (and in the interest of doing something more productive than getting sloshed again) I watched a two hour lecture by Professor of mathematics at the University of Texas, Michael (believe it or not) Starbird on the subject of probablilty.....

From that I HAVE LEARNED TODAY, amoung other things, is that the meteorlogical concept of "The Probability of Precipitation (henceforth know as PoP) actually has some basis in scientific fact. When your local weather person tells you that there is a 30% probablilty of rain in your region tomorrow, it is not just necessarily the bunch of non-sensical crap that you and I suspect that it is.

But unfortunately, it is some what more complex than it would appear to be..... In fact the definition of PoP as provided by the National Weather Service is, from a scientfic perspective, not correct. Feel free to look that one up if you want to.

A 30% probablity of rain in "one particular spot" means that if you get the same climate conditions in that same spot for the next 100 days, it will probably rain on thirty of those days.

However, when you get into a "regional" situation, things get somewhat more complex. The rain probability in "one particular spot" no longer holds up, and hence, the National Weather Service definition falls apart. If you can visualize a geographical area in which 70% of that area never receives any precipitation at all, and 30% of the area gets rain every day (as sometimes occurs on some of the Hawaiian Islands), then it can be calculated that the probability of rain in that entire region is, amazingly enough, still 30%.

Having bored everyone with all that useless information, I shall proceed to get to the more interesting aspects of probability that I HAVE LEARNED TODAY......

In poker, the probability of getting a Royal Flush is exactly one in 2,958,690.... Which happens to be the exact same probability of getting any other poker hand that you can imagine. So why should a Royal Flush beat any other poker hand ????

Maybe Taylor and her crew will keep that in mind when they get to Las Vegas.

Sometimes Life simply refuses to make any of the sorts of logical sense that we would expect it to.

Adam

Vuarra
Aug 14, 2007, 11:59 PM
I love being an amateur meteorologist, and I have to say that you're right... regional PoPs are very complex... case in point... I rode home tonight, and not 10 minutes after I got home, it started to rain... and no one had forecast it.

People may hate the weatherman, or joke about him/her, but try looking at it from the Butterfly Effect... :bigrin::bigrin::bigrin:

kitten
Aug 15, 2007, 12:29 AM
Today, I learned to have lots of patience with a bored 13-year-old.
and she learned the value of household chores! :)

raistkit
Aug 15, 2007, 12:58 AM
first thing i learned today(only because i read it first) is not to piss joy joy hollywood off.

the second thing, and probably more important is how good a smile makes you feel. thanx for the smile kitten. i give my 2 yr old grandaughter a dust cloth and lower 2 feet of my house are clean as a whistle, and by the time she's finished i have all my chores done. i can hear her singing the theme song to bob the builder in my imagination right now. once again thanx for the smile.:)

kit

kitten
Aug 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
You are very welcome. I smile at the thought of the tiny tot doing her part while singing. What a sweetheart! Thank you for that smile as well! :)

Music Girl
Aug 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
I learned how much I missed seeing my students over the summer months. They are great kids; I forgot how young they make me feel, and that's no small feat. :bigrin:

wildgal70
Aug 15, 2007, 12:31 PM
I learned that when you ask for help, they push you aside and ignore ya.

biwords
Aug 15, 2007, 12:43 PM
I know just what you mean. This morning I was in the bank watching a teller count out a large pile of money. I asked politely if if I could have some of it and my request wasn't even seriously considered!

As Robert Crumb once asked, "How much more shit will the people take?!"

Annika L
Aug 15, 2007, 12:55 PM
Well! I thought I was going to have to settle for saying that I have learned over the last several days that friendship can be an amazingly volatile thing, and that you can never trust that you actually know somebody, no matter how close you feel that you've become.

But after reading Adam's post about probability of precipitation, I am SO pleased to be able to say that I have learned the answer to a mystery that has haunted me for several years! I have used probability on and off on the job for years, and Adam, far from boring me, you have explained quite nicely WHAT those weather probabilities mean (which I have always wondered, since many interpretations are possible) and WHY they are relatively meaningless (which I have always suspected).

Thank you for brightening my day! :)

(and thanks to Azrael for a great thread idea!) ;)

darkeyes
Aug 15, 2007, 12:57 PM
That a certain city councillor is not only a tit but an effin huge arsehole!!! An not very nice 2 boot....

darkeyes
Aug 15, 2007, 1:11 PM
Also..that me internet is fukked...up an down like an bloody yoyo!

Azrael
Aug 15, 2007, 7:01 PM
That my kitchen is infested with cocaine :(

Azrael
Aug 15, 2007, 7:06 PM
I learned how to make a new kind of Molotov cocktail using chlorine tablets, petrol and an empty two liter bottle of Coke.

It's pretty fun. Good thing to know. Just in case.

Skilled tradesmen (even former ones) make excellent sabatoeurs. Just throwin' it out there :bigrin:
If you're interested, I have a book by Jefferson Mack called 'Invisible Resistance to Tyrrany". Highly recommended.

AdamKadmon43
Aug 15, 2007, 11:19 PM
Thank you for brightening my day! :)

Assuming that you are being serious, thank you for making me feel that I am not always the negative, annoying, obnoxious, self-centered, dictatorial, ill-informed, narrow-minded, stubborn, obstinate, pig-headed, pretentious, un-reasonable, spiritually-deprived, sexually-disadvantaged, self-absorbed, and adjective-challenged lunatic that most people in here seem to think that I am.

Sincerely

Adam

Azrael
Aug 15, 2007, 11:23 PM
Assuming that you are being serious, thank you for making me feel that I am not always the negative, annoying, obnoxious, self-centered, dictatorial, ill-informed, narrow-minded, stubborn, obstinate, pig-headed, pretentious, un-reasonable, spiritually-deprived, sexually-disadvantaged, self-absorbed, and adjective-challenged lunatic that most people in here seem to think that I am.

Sincerely

Adam

Fuck that shit, dude. I think you're cool as hell. You know single malt scotch!
Tell all the naysayers I said they can bask in your awesomeness.
I know. I get up in the morning and I piss excellence, and so do you, I'll bet :bigrin:

JoyJoyHollywood
Aug 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
Skilled tradesmen (even former ones) make excellent sabatoeurs. Just throwin' it out there :bigrin:
If you're interested, I have a book by Jefferson Mack called 'Invisible Resistance to Tyrrany". Highly recommended.

You know, I've always found the word saboteur to be incredibly sexy.

biwords
Aug 16, 2007, 2:08 AM
You know, I've always found the word saboteur to be incredibly sexy.

I would too, if it didn't also evoke 'treason', 'maimed', 'ambulance', etc.

Azrael
Aug 16, 2007, 3:31 AM
After burning the fuck out of my arm at work, I learned from the mexican dude that applying a thin layer of sour cream takes the sting RIGHT OUT of a burn. No shit.

Doggie_Wood
Aug 16, 2007, 6:49 AM
I learned that statues of men on horses - the horse's positioning tells how the man riding him died.
1) If the horse is rairing up, both front legs in the air - he died in battle

2) If the horse has only one leg raised, the other on the ground - he was wounded in battle and of course died sometime later

3) If the horse has all four planted on the ground - the guy died of natural causes

FYI :doggie:

jamiehue
Aug 16, 2007, 6:53 AM
got 3 racehorses going this weekend.If one of them dosent win Ill be dead.

Doggie_Wood
Aug 16, 2007, 7:24 AM
got 3 racehorses going this weekend.If one of them dosent win Ill be dead.

How would you like you statue positioned? :doggie:

AdamKadmon43
Aug 16, 2007, 11:55 PM
.....Tell all the naysayers I said they can bask in your awesomeness.
I know. I get up in the morning and I piss excellence, and so do you, I'll bet :bigrin:

Today I have learned that Az is giving me far, far more credit than ever I could possibly merit.

Adam

Annika L
Aug 17, 2007, 2:05 AM

Sincerely

Adam

Well, Adam, I don't know you from...well...anyone else named Adam (I've truly never known an Adam personally). I don't know whether you piss excellence first thing in the morning, or if it's only after a couple cups of strong coffee. I can't say whether Azrael was billing you too highly, or if he was just high on being Azrael (or something else...sounds like it doesn't get much stronger than that, though).

And my post didn't really address negativity, annoyance, obnoxiousness, self-centeredness, dictatorialness, narrow-mindedness, stubbornness, obstinacy, pig-headedness (you left "redundant" out of your list), pretentiousness, un-reasonableness, your spirit, your sexual advantageousness, self-absorption, or adjective usage.

But on the topic of probability of precipitation, you did not seem at all ill-informed -- I was dead serious about that.

(oh! you also left "self-pitying" out of your list!)

Today I learned that a person can really read things into your posts! I learned a few things about Adam and Azrael. But most importantly, I learned from biwords what really goes on in a Canadian bathhouse!

darkeyes
Aug 17, 2007, 6:17 AM
Today I learned that a person can really read things into your posts! I learned a few things about Adam and Azrael. But most importantly, I learned from biwords what really goes on in a Canadian bathhouse!

Not bathing Annika??? Summat else??? OMG!!!!!

Azrael
Aug 17, 2007, 7:13 AM
Well, Adam, I don't know you from...well...anyone else named Adam (I've truly never known an Adam personally). I don't know whether you piss excellence first thing in the morning, or if it's only after a couple cups of strong coffee. I can't say whether Azrael was billing you too highly, or if he was just high on being Azrael (or something else...sounds like it doesn't get much stronger than that, though).

They are a rare breed. My first b/f (best friend since 13) is an Adam. They sure are something.
A good karmic being always shares the highness :bigrin:
The answer is both.

dafydd
Aug 17, 2007, 7:31 AM
Today I learned that some people just have grouchy days and it's best to humour them and not answer back only for fear of saving face.

d

Skater Boy
Oct 30, 2007, 9:34 PM
Today I learned that the CROSS symbol that Christians use actually pre-dates Christianity, and is thought to have originally been representative of heterosexual union... the VERTICAL line representing the phallus and the HORIZONTAL line representing the vagina, the two intersecting to symbolize penetration.

They don't teach you THAT at Sunday school! :bigrin:

jem_is_bi
Oct 30, 2007, 11:49 PM
I did not learn anything today!
I hate that!
Won't happen tomorrow!

JEM

darkeyes
Oct 31, 2007, 2:14 PM
Me learned me is a silly selfish stupid cow who needs er arse kicked!!!:(

csrakate
Oct 31, 2007, 5:36 PM
Me learned me is a silly selfish stupid cow who needs er arse kicked!!!:(

Methinks I hear the sound of an angel getting her wings......

Aww frannie....you not a selfish, stupid cow....just a wee lass who has had her reality rocked a bit.....and now....given time....you are seeing a bit clearer!!!

BUT....if you do need your arse kicked....Mumsy will be glad to do the honors!! hehe

Hugs,
Kate

darkeyes
Oct 31, 2007, 6:26 PM
Methinks I hear the sound of an angel getting her wings......

Aww frannie....you not a selfish, stupid cow....just a wee lass who has had her reality rocked a bit.....and now....given time....you are seeing a bit clearer!!!

BUT....if you do need your arse kicked....Mumsy will be glad to do the honors!! hehe

Hugs,
Kate

Me learned that mumsy wud ratha kick me arse than give me bootie a gud spankin....:(

AdamKadmon43
Oct 31, 2007, 11:52 PM
What I have learned today (or to be a bit more accurate, in the past several days) is to never, ever, ever try to create a web site using nothing but html tags.

If I had half a brain, I would have went out and bought myself some web developement software and tried to learn how to use it.

But noooooooooo !!! I had to try to do it the hard way, and now I do not seem to have a great deal of hair left on my head.

If anyone wants to observe this exercise in futility, it is adamkadmon43.com (http://adamkadmon43.com)

And please do not inform me as to how ridiculous and childish it looks.... I am painfully aware of that.

Thank you.

Adam

darkeyes
Nov 1, 2007, 3:24 AM
Only been up 5 mins an learns that ther still guys deluded enuff inta thinkin they have moren half a brain!!!:bigrin:

Jeez pointless bemoanin fact that they neva seem 2 learn reely innit? Bit hard wen ther aint that much space down ther 2 house a brain of ne size neway...:tong:

Lo Adam babes..wereya been? kinda missed ya posts..:tongue:

Cesca
Nov 1, 2007, 5:56 AM
That maybe its time to move home:)

darkeyes
Nov 1, 2007, 7:50 AM
That me a dopey driver!! tee hee....:tong:(well always knew it jus confirmed it for umpteeth time!!)

Azrael
Dec 23, 2007, 2:16 PM
That somehow, in the midst of holiday throes of terror, I can achieve a state of the borderline sublime. It's all under control now :cool:

Falke
Dec 23, 2007, 3:29 PM
I learned that there are videos of people rolling business jets on youtube.

Skater Boy
Dec 23, 2007, 4:17 PM
I learned that very little that I've learned so far is worth knowing, and that of the things I do know and value, those most worthy of knowing I have learned the hard way.

What is it Oscar said? Oh yeah:

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

Not2str8
Dec 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
I learned that I can make some absolutely kick-ass home-made cream of mushroom soup, and did just that.

wolfcamp
Dec 23, 2007, 11:42 PM
I spent the last 4 months learning chemistry, so I'm taking a break. But actually, I've been researching camera lenses, so I guess I did learn something today.

gfofbiguy
Dec 24, 2007, 12:28 AM
I learned that I can make some absolutely kick-ass home-made cream of mushroom soup, and did just that.

Ooooh, I'd love the recipe...do share!

LusciousLounge
Dec 24, 2007, 4:55 AM
I learned about this website!!! :bipride:

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Dec 26, 2007, 7:47 PM
lol Something that I've known all along, but was too stubborn to admit.
I'm Not 21 anymore!
It isnt as easy moving furniture around as it was before I got the Disentigrating Joint Disorder. Pride is a baaad thing..lol
Cat

Herbwoman39
Dec 26, 2007, 8:49 PM
I learned that, if I'm not careful and aware, I have a tendency to be a bit controlling in the guise of "being helpful". It's a trait I picked up from my mother.

DiamondDog
Dec 26, 2007, 9:13 PM
Brigitte Bardot thinks that her husband may someday 'cross over' and become gay.

Bardot, in a letter to a French gay magazine, wrote in her defense: 'Apart from my husband - who maybe will cross over one day as well - I am entirely surrounded by homos.'

m.in.heels&hose
Dec 26, 2007, 9:16 PM
what did I learned today?

Just how much it means to me to be told I use trusted!!!!!

:impleased

Skater Boy
Dec 29, 2007, 2:22 PM
I learned the definitions of Isaiah Berlin's concepts of "Positive Liberty" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_liberty) and "Negative Liberty" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_liberty) and the potential consequences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_%28television_documentary_series%29)that pursuing either (at the expense of the other) could have on Western Civilization.

diB4u
Dec 29, 2007, 3:36 PM
I learned the definitions of Isaiah Berlin's concepts of "Positive Liberty" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_liberty) and "Negative Liberty" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_liberty) and the potential consequences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_%28television_documentary_series%29)that pursuing either (at the expense of the other) could have on Western Civilization.

Yeah? Interesting... I learned hmmm not much!

Only that to smile upon a new day is to greet the days adventure not with a frown or a down trodden expression, but with a great big smile and a sharp nod of the head.

Oh and that Meca bingo club halls is going to be the In place where I will spend my thursday nights because its a free game.

Skater Boy
Dec 29, 2007, 4:12 PM
Oh and that Mecca bingo club halls is going to be the In place where I will spend my thursday nights because its a free game.

Well, good luck with your weekly pilgrimage to Mecca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca), Donna. Don't forget to throw stones at the pillar, etc. ;) :tong:

Tingly_Tickles
Dec 30, 2007, 2:29 AM
I learned that I spend entirely too much time on the computer but wait there's
more.

I can quit smoking any time I want
I can do well around the house for my wife
I can be a good father
I can dislike someone for many years
I can still program my pc for linux use
I can still hate ms products
I can get into better shape
I can get more piercings
I can do anything that I put my mind to

and I know there's way more than that but I thought I'd stop boring everyone
now with what I learn daily.

I also
learned
that I
can make
a post
seem
longer
than
what
it really
is on a
forum.

Now I'm just goofin luv ya all for readin this mess.

Skater Boy
Mar 24, 2008, 3:54 AM
I learned that "any middle-aged bachelor who has never desired the basic rewards of wife and family, and finds it necessary to occupy the major part of his life making one conquest after another, is trying to prove something that he can never possibly prove."

Ah, Blake Edwards...

sometimesitbethatway
Mar 24, 2008, 4:46 AM
I learned that the type of guy I am looking for exists! .....in Maryland :(

BronzeBobby
Mar 24, 2008, 9:04 AM
I learned a random fact after watching a classic on Turner Classic Movies:

the Wizard of Oz was originally written as a social commentary about labor and capital! The scarecrow symbolized farmers, the tin man symbolized industrial workers, and the lion represented soldiers. The yellow brick road was a reference to the gold standard, which helped capitalists at the expense of farmers (or was it vice versa?). The witches represented the old aristocracy, while the Wizard was the hypocrisy of capital. The poppies were the distraction of alcohol and drugs. And Toto was .... a dog!

Maybe none of this is really what Baum meant when he wrote the book, but it's a cute story.

Delilah
Mar 24, 2008, 10:20 AM
1. Never fry bacon in the nude.
2. No matter how fast you want to get ready.. do not shower and blow dry your hair at the sametime.
3. Never place your tube of Ben Gay next to your tube of KY in your nightstand.
4. Never vaccum and hold your cat at the sametime.
5. If you end up driving behind a school bus load with little kiddies, please don't have any eye contact with them. Or you will see a bunch of little birdies against the back window. Trust me on this.

I really hate Mondays. :(

MistressLiz
Mar 24, 2008, 9:17 PM
I learned that I should never have settled. There is something better out there, and I sold myself short. BUT on the other hand if I had kept searching I would not be where I am today and would not have met those who make my life what it is. I still feel like I missed out and now I am trapped. I think I'm learning as I type...

Doggie_Wood
Mar 24, 2008, 9:37 PM
I does no good to get upset and pissed off when the airline looses (although temporarily) 1/2 of your checked luggage. And returns it to you when your trying to get some sleep. ASSHOLES!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 25, 2008, 3:36 PM
I learned that sometimes you have to fight for what you want, and for what you want to hold together, but sometimes you just hafta know when to let go and cut your losses...and start life over again.
Sometimes, things just arent worth fighting for when you have fought until there's nothing left to fight For...
A hard lesson learned..once again.
Cat

diB4u
Mar 25, 2008, 4:09 PM
I learned that by reading my current book "My booky wook" by Russell Brand is a blonking good read.

I also learned that it is the ones in society that had the hardest upbringing that make the best comedians or comic actors.

Oh and that Russell Brand would make a brilliant cross dresser.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g76khaUxL._SS500_.jpg

Skater Boy
Mar 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
I learned a hell of a lot (of Jungian theory). My, my... real eye-opener... ;)

Delilah
Mar 28, 2008, 1:59 PM
I just found out what choking the chicken meant :eek:
On Xtube!!!

diB4u
Mar 28, 2008, 6:09 PM
Today I learned that althought sometimes as the friends theme tune song goes "When it hasnt been your day...." that friends are very important to you.

I learned that tomorrow is really another day, and that its ok to admit when things are bogging me down.

:bigrin:

To admit something- what ever that is- is half way to being better.

DarthKratos
Mar 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
I learned how wonderful it feels when your students get what you are trying to teach them.

onewhocares
Mar 30, 2008, 9:16 AM
I have learned, not today, but over the last few days, that it is hard want to share your life with someone who can not find the time in their lives to "fit you in". That has been a most hard lesson to learn.

Belle

lookn0ver
Mar 30, 2008, 9:56 AM
i learned that FRENCH people only talk about the good of other people only if they are also FRENCH ! ...or FRENCH/CANADIAN...(same difference,maybe more so)...& god that grates on my nerves!:soapbox:

Skater Boy
Mar 30, 2008, 5:52 PM
I learned the value of owning (and using) a dictionary of Gay slang and Polari.

summereclypse
Mar 30, 2008, 6:48 PM
I learned that p*ssy tastes good!:tongue:

Bluebiyou
Mar 30, 2008, 7:26 PM
Congrats, summereclypse!
Technically, there's a bell curve on that population.
About 10% are sweet, about 10% are nasty, most fall in between and are 'tangy' but nearly 99% are okay to fantastic after a nice shower (with the detachable shower head and flexible tube - 'pulse massage' setting helps get her motor started too!).
I imagine the same can be said for guys.
But it sounds like you had a wonderful experience! :) Cool beans!

What did I learn today? Not a damn thing, and with any luck I'll keep it that way! :)

bisexualinsocal
Mar 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
I learned that there are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

pasco_lol_cpl
Mar 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
I learned today that no matter how much it cost, an expensive rifle with an uber expensive scope does not help you shoot any better

gfofbiguy
Mar 30, 2008, 10:46 PM
I learned today that no matter how much it cost, an expensive rifle with an uber expensive scope does not help you shoot any better

Well if you're looking to get rid of it, you can always give it to my b/f...he could use an early Christmas present! LOL

pasco_lol_cpl
Mar 30, 2008, 11:17 PM
Well if you're looking to get rid of it, you can always give it to my b/f...he could use an early Christmas present! LOLOh no. It wasn't me who blew a lot of money trying to compensate for poor marksmanship skills. Poor kid. I spent over an hour with him trying to teach him the basics.