PDA

View Full Version : Do antidepressants smother romance?

biwords
Aug 10, 2007, 3:13 PM
LOVE IN THE AGE OF PAXIL

Theory notes obsessive focus lost when brain chemistry is altered

Aug 10, 2007 04:30 AM
SUSAN BRINK - LOS ANGELES TIMES

Love's first rush is a private madness between two people, all-consuming and endlessly wonderful.

Couples think about the other obsessively – on a roller coaster of euphoria when together, longing when apart.

"It's temporary insanity," says Helen Fisher, an evolutionary anthropologist at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Now, from her studies of the brains of lovers in the throes of the initial tumble, Fisher has developed a controversial theory. She and her collaborator, psychiatrist J. Anderson Thomson of the University of Virginia, believe Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and other antidepressants alter brain chemistry so as to blunt the intense cutting edge of new love.

Fisher and Thomson, who describe their theory in a chapter in the book, Evolutionary Cognitive Neuroscience, aren't talking just about the notorious ability of the drugs to dampen sexual desire and performance, although that, they believe, plays its part. They think the drugs also sap the craving for a mate, perhaps even the brain's very ability to fall in love.

That would be bad news, given the widespread use of antidepressants.
Although they lack solid evidence that more people are having trouble falling in love, the scientists cite animal and laboratory science along with some human studies.

[snip]

...in an intriguing experiment, Canadian psychologist Maryanne Fisher (no relation to Helen) reported evidence in a small 2004 study of what she termed "courtship blunting" in women taking antidepressants.

Asked to rate the attractiveness of men's faces, women taking the drugs rated the men more negatively and breezed through the pictures faster than women not on antidepressants.

[snip]

Fisher's and Thomson's theory is new enough that many therapists say they've never heard it discussed. And those who have are cautious. Mental health experts fear that, with recent publicity about suicidal risks in adolescents taking antidepressants, people whose lives could be improved or even saved with medications won't take them.

Some scientists dismiss Fisher's and Thomson's theory. ``Antidepressants tend to tone down the emotions. But they don't interfere with the ability to fall in love. No," says Otto Kernberg, director of the Personality Disorders Institute at the New York Presbyterian Hospital and author of six books on love.

But Richard Tuch, a psychoanalyst at the New Center for Psychoanalysis in Los Angeles, says the theory is challenging. "I think it's a call to the psychiatric community to study this. She's raised the question. Now it's our responsibility to look into it."

MarieDelta
Aug 10, 2007, 4:24 PM
thanks for this biwords (currently on 10mg lexapro)

:kiss:

Azrael
Aug 10, 2007, 4:36 PM
SSRI/SNRIs just made me feel robotic, and more anxious than what they were supposed to be treating. And they killed my dick. These days I experience life without any chemical filters. If you can manage this way, I'd recommend it. All these drugs are horrible for your body.

dafydd
Aug 10, 2007, 4:38 PM
wow really interesting. thanks for that post.

dans94
Aug 10, 2007, 5:01 PM
Thanks for the post, biwords. I've been on antidepressants for over a decade and have to agree with their findings. I know my emotions are depressed by the drugs and I strive to make allowances for my lack of caring. It's something I have to keep in mind every day. I just don't function well at all without the drugs so it's not even a matter of trading one thing for another.

mindfinding
Aug 10, 2007, 6:43 PM
Omega 3's. They make a depressed person (former me) no longer depressed. They are great for manic depression....and they don't "kill your dick" as Azrael found with other things.

Omega 3 is a fish oil. It works, its great. My sister (who was a depression case aswell) began taking them and told me how she is a whole new person. I started taking them (sceptically) and found the proir to be true.

Really great stuff they are. Now you know.

domill
Aug 10, 2007, 7:06 PM
And antidepressants diminish the libido.

they're used in the process of chemical castration of sexual offenders/criminals (paedophiles and the like). Apparently it makes them less likely to have pulsions.

:2cents:

parkwings
Aug 11, 2007, 1:12 AM
I have known a couple of people on anti-depressants and they said that it did affect thier libido in a negative way, without a doubt.

mindfinding
Aug 11, 2007, 1:21 AM
You still want it when your taking the fish oils (Omega 3's). Your just not depressed anymore.

Not every answer needs to be pharmaceutical.

Skater Boy
Aug 15, 2007, 9:37 AM
Yep, I believe its true... I would say that I'm "less active" and emotional since being on anti-depressants. Trouble is, my psych is pretty much in control over whether I take them or not, so its kinda outta my hands, at least for the moment.

Don't think fish oil would cure my depression though...

meteast chick
Aug 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
I no longer take anti depressants but I absolutely agree with their findings.

I have been diagnosed as Manic Depressive Type 2, which is having a full depressive episode (or many) but not a full manic episode. For a short period of time I was put on heavy dose of Effexor along with something to help me sleep and then something to wake me up. It killed my libido and even made me reject the advances of my then husband. Years later I felt I was sinking again, and contacted a different (and much better) psychiatrist. He prescribed Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and a light dose of Effexor (an antidepressant). It worked wonders. My doctor has trusted my own instincts to know when I need these drugs and when I don't.

This is definately news that anyone thinking about getting on these drugs should know, however I would have to say the benefits outweigh the negatives. You shouldn't feel numb or lifeless. The whole point is to bring you back up and diminish the low points.

Okay, that's my :2cents:
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast

biwords
Aug 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
I found that Effexor was a real dick-killer/libido killer unless taken in doses so small as to call into question its therapeutic value. I don't deny that it's done some people a lot of good, but I do find something funny about an antidepressant which gives you one more reason to be depressed. :)

coyotedude
Aug 16, 2007, 3:52 AM
I found that Effexor was a real dick-killer/libido killer unless taken in doses so small as to call into question its therapeutic value. I don't deny that it's done some people a lot of good, but I do find something funny about an antidepressant which gives you one more reason to be depressed. :)

LMAO... I can relate. I spent a few years on Effexor on a higher dosage, and I found that it dampened my libido and my erections to a certain degree. My body did adjust over time, however. The coyote was still hungry and still found ways to hunt.... (Much to the annoyance of Mrs. Coyote on occasion.)

From my own experience, I am not surprised by the findings in this article. What I have found in taking "ding biscuits" (as my uncle so affectionately calls them) is that they work by smoothing out the extremes of emotion. That's handy when the dark dogs of madness would otherwise lead you down the road of self-destruction. But there's a flip side, of course. You can find yourself less shocked by the madness of the world; less touched in your heart from the smile of a baby; less heated by the warm lips of a lover. It is, like everything else in life, a trade-off.

I am always surprised when people are so shocked by the side effects of prescription antidepressants. There's a reason these medications are not sold over-the-counter, after all; these are serious drugs that play with the chemistry of your brain. Why the hell wouldn't there be side effects?

I suspect that people sometimes expect to pop a pill and get better overnight. But recovery from clinical depression just doesn't work that way. It's a hell of a lot of work. It takes not just medication, but also therapy, exercise, diet.... and time. Often the point of an antidepressant isn't to cure you outright, but to buy you the time you need to do the necessary work to heal. I think people often forget that.

In a strange sort of way, I think that suffering from clinical depression is similar to struggling with alcohol or other addictions. Certainly in either case you have to learn to redirect your thoughts from self-destructive paths. It would not surprise me to find that many depressed people use alcohol as self-medication, which of course makes the depression worse in a sort of downward spiral.

I do often wonder whether antidepressants are over-prescribed for the ills that ail us. Some people have already noted other "natural" options, such as omega-3. I've also heard such options as L-tryptophan, 5-HTP, St. John's wort, yerba mate.... And don't forget options that don't involve popping something into your mouth. Exercise can work wonders for some people, for example.

But sometimes those options aren't enough. Sometimes you find yourself mired in too deep a hole; omega-3 or other options just don't offer a long enough ladder in some cases. There are times when you're losing the struggle against the madness and you need to call in the big guns. And for those times, I am exceptionally grateful to have the lifeline that antidepressants can offer.

Just my :2cents:

Peace

jamiehue
Aug 16, 2007, 7:08 AM
yes they do.

biwords
Aug 16, 2007, 10:22 AM
Coyote, what you call "just your two cents" is about the wisest view of the matter I've ever heard, and beautifully put. Thanks!

My own involvement with Effexor hasn't been for depression but for anxiety. Once upon a time this was termed 'being a worry-wart' but it now goes by the moniker of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, a ten-dollar name itself capable of generating anxiety. In fact a dear acquaintance of mine, when I told her I had GAD, reacted along the lines of "oh my God!!!!!! you have generalized anxiety disorder!!!". It was all I could do to calm her down. :)

Anyway, when I told my doctor that the antidepressant was causing sexual side effects he.....added another antidepressant! This was Welbutrin, prescribed to me only because it's supposed to reduce the side effects of the Effexor. So that meant I was now on two antidepressants without being depressed. Now I'm afraid to complain of indigestion -- it could mean going on a third antidepressant :). I'm going to try the Coyote prescription (means finding my gym shorts, but no price is too high for mental health) and see if I can't get to the point if No Medication. Advice welcome as always...

dafydd
Aug 16, 2007, 5:58 PM
Yep, I believe its true... I would say that I'm "less active" and emotional since being on anti-depressants. Trouble is, my psych is pretty much in control over whether I take them or not, so its kinda outta my hands, at least for the moment.

Don't think fish oil would cure my depression though...

For me they don't supress libidio, infact rather increase it, but they do delay ejaculation which in my mind can only be a good thind.

;)

Skater Boy
Aug 16, 2007, 6:35 PM
For me they don't supress libidio, infact rather increase it, but they do delay ejaculation which in my mind can only be a good thind.

;)

Perhaps it depends on the particular TYPE of anti-depressant. Apparently some have different side effects to others. I did Google mine... not that I needed to, because it says on the leaflet that comes with each box of pills: "common side effects may include loss of sexual appetite..." :(

Vuarra
Aug 16, 2007, 6:55 PM
I was on side-Effexor (as one pharmacist-tech friend of mine calls it) for about a year. That was three years ago. About a month into the "treatment", I stopped having the head rushes of orgasm. I still don't.

God help perplexxed should I ever get depressed again, because I refuse to take any more drugs. It's not worth it... even worse, since I didn't care that I didn't mentally cum, that I didn't mention it to a doctor at the time, before the mental changes became permanent.

Bihornyguy
Aug 16, 2007, 9:50 PM
[QUOTE=biwords;71340]LOVE IN THE AGE OF PAXIL

Theory notes obsessive focus lost when brain chemistry is altered

/QUOTE]

Well I was on Paxil for a year and now Lexapro for the past 2 years and I had NO PROBLEM falling in love with females at all. Delayed orgazms are the ONLY side effect sexually. THAT is indeed annoying as hell.

Azrael
Aug 16, 2007, 10:04 PM
I was on side-Effexor (as one pharmacist-tech friend of mine calls it) for about a year. That was three years ago. About a month into the "treatment", I stopped having the head rushes of orgasm. I still don't.

God help perplexxed should I ever get depressed again, because I refuse to take any more drugs. It's not worth it... even worse, since I didn't care that I didn't mentally cum, that I didn't mention it to a doctor at the time, before the mental changes became permanent.

Stories like this are why I stopped taking seroquel. I still take propanolol occasionally, but that's not a psychoactive,a t least not primarily. Inderal doesn't dope u up, it lowers your blood pressure, that's all.
I've been psych drug free for a month. I can feel again. It's indescribable :bigrin:

jem_is_bi
Aug 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
I was prescribed antidepressants one time about 15 years ago. I was not even depressed. I was just unhappy about a bad turn of events and a chronic health problem. I think the drug was Valium. After taking it for 2 days, I had no emotions. Even if a nuclear war was ready to start, I could easily have gone to bed and slept 8 hours or until I was vaporized. I could not have become sexually aroused by anything. So, I stopped taking the medication. I was still unhappy but I could function again.
However, I do realize that sometimes these drugs can be very useful for getting back ones equilibrium. Sometimes sex is not the most important part of life and the good the drugs do outweighs discomfort from side effects. Also, if you have significant side effects you need to talk to the doctor. He may be able to adjust dosage or change the medication. There is usually more than one drug alternative and drug interactions are different for different people.

JEM

DiamondDog
Aug 17, 2007, 1:37 AM
I was prescribed antidepressants one time about 15 years ago. I was not even depressed. I was just unhappy about a bad turn of events and a chronic health problem. I think the drug was Valium. After taking it for 2 days, I had no emotions. Even if a nuclear war was ready to start, I could easily have gone to bed and slept 8 hours or until I was vaporized. I could not have become sexually aroused by anything. So, I stopped taking the medication. I was still unhappy but I could function again.
However, I do realize that sometimes these drugs can be very useful for getting back ones equilibrium. Sometimes sex is not the most important part of life and the good the drugs do outweighs discomfort from side effects. Also, if you have significant side effects you need to talk to the doctor. He may be able to adjust dosage or change the medication. There is usually more than one drug alternative and drug interactions are different for different people.

JEM
you lucky dog!
They don't prescribe benzos like Valium that much anymore. :(

nakedambrosia
Aug 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
Celexa and Lexapro are in the same class of drugs; celexa has to opposite molecules, one has the therapeutic effect, the other is responsible for side effects, one of which is blunting libido, sexual desire and delayed orgasm. Actually it can be so severe that no sexual interest may occur. Lexepro has less side effects such as these, though they are also listed in a drug book. Celexa is so powerful that libido can just about be wiped out, with no sexual interest and no ability to achieve orgasm. Also, with any such medications, one should be in some form of counseling while taking the mediction with as a goal to get off them eventually.

Herbwoman39
Aug 17, 2007, 1:12 PM
I allowed my doctor to badger me into taking Citalopram (generic celexa). It turned out I was allergic to it. After a week I was breaking out in a rash and having the electric shock thing in my head. I was totally exhausted and the apathy was the worst it's ever been.

I wish I had known about Omega 3s before all that happened because the meds were more debilitating than the actual issue.

The great thing is, I created an essential oils blend that works really well for depression. For those who are interested in a natural alternative, in 2 ounces of Apricot base oil, add 40 drops Bergamot essential oil, 5 drops Vanilla essential oil and 15 drops Geranium essential oil. Shake well and apply 3-5 drops to pulse points. At first I was applying once an hour but as I started feeling better over a couple days I backed off to every 2-3 hours. Now I use it once a day on days i feel I need it.

hotblue9925
Aug 19, 2007, 8:14 PM
Welbutrin and Trazadone.

Do they affect the emotions? In my case they prevent them from going to the dark extremes (and, oddly enough, they don't seem to have any impact on the other end of the scale).

Do they affect my love life? Not that I can see.

I don't really think that the drugs by themselves have any affect - it is how the person is AFFECTED by the drugs that has the effect. Some are more in control of this than others.

The only effect that they have is that they are keeping me alive.

Bihornyguy
Aug 19, 2007, 8:21 PM
Welbutrin and Trazadone.

Do they affect the emotions? In my case they prevent them from going to the dark extremes (and, oddly enough, they don't seem to have any impact on the other end of the scale).

Do they affect my love life? Not that I can see.

I don't really think that the drugs by themselves have any affect - it is how the person is AFFECTED by the drugs that has the effect. Some are more in control of this than others.

The only effect that they have is that they are keeping me alive.

In MY case the Lexapro helps my anxiety and panic attacks. With it I get verbally nasty, never physically. I get REALLY pissed off verbally. Not good when this occures at work! The lexapro calms me down and allows me to deal with situations that would normally get me verbally wacky. The only side effect I get is delayed orgazms. For women the this is a good thing, for me it's frustrating but I can deal with that.

jem_is_bi
Aug 19, 2007, 9:27 PM
you lucky dog!
They don't prescribe benzos like Valium that much anymore. :(

I wish I felt lucky at the time. Instead, I felt like a robot. What is so good about benzodiazepine substances such as diazepam(Valium)?

JEM

biwords
Aug 20, 2007, 3:51 AM
Welbutrin and Trazadone.

Trazodone is a great sleep aid and I've taken it for that purpose. Can't say I noticed any effect other than that.

Azrael
Aug 20, 2007, 11:49 AM
My Pharmaceutical prescription history:
Antidepressants-
Effexor, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Paxil
Benzodiazapines -Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Klonipin
Anticonvulsants: Tegretol, Depakote
Neuroleptics: Geodon, Seroquel, Thorazine, Haldol, Risperdal, Zyprexa
Stimulants: Ritalin
All these drugs made me feel robotic, timid, terrified and, well, basically everything they were being prescribed to treat.
There's gotta be a better way.
Klonipin put me into depressive down-swings, Depakote made me hallucinate for three days str8, the geodon/tegretol combination made me constantly ready to jump out of my skin, Seroquel made me fat, Lexapro killed my sex drive, celexa made me batshit manic. You get the idea.
Most of these were prescribed, some shared by crazy friends.

happyjoe68
Aug 20, 2007, 12:50 PM
It very much depends on the person and the medication. As someone who took 20mg a day for more than a few years, I found that they never affected me in a negative way, only in a positive way. They allowed me to live again and think positive, and once thats achieved, everything else takes care of itself ...

Azrael
Aug 20, 2007, 1:01 PM
It very much depends on the person and the medication. As someone who took 20mg a day for more than a few years, I found that they never affected me in a negative way, only in a positive way. They allowed me to live again and think positive, and once thats achieved, everything else takes care of itself ...

True, but most of these drugs are WAY over-prescribed. Difference between a Psychiatrist and a drug dealer? Less bling on the benz.
Psychologists, on the other hand, are where it's at.
Take the power of the pen away and they actually start caring about what they do.
20 mg of what?
My current psychiatrist is actually pretty good, but all the others I've had are worthless brow-beating drug-peddling scumfucks. None of them actually listen, they just up the meds til you feel nothing and call that success.

rayjamesus
Nov 27, 2007, 2:34 PM
that suck for me im on 200mg of Zoloft and 150mg of Wellbutrin. Well if their studies are true ill never fall in love.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 2:43 PM
Difference between a Psychiatrist and a drug dealer? Less bling on the benz.

Not entirely true. I think its the pharmaceutical companies who profit most from prescription meds, rather than the shrinks. But I'd agree that there's a strong "Capitalist theme" at work within the prescription med world.

diB4u
Nov 27, 2007, 3:06 PM
Not entirely true. I think its the pharmaceutical companies who profit most from prescription meds, rather than the shrinks. But I'd agree that there's a strong "Capitalist theme" at work within the prescription med world.

Well what an interesting thread this is, however I wish that I had talking therapy, sometimes I have depressive tendencies, due to many reasons- one or two of you might know of a bit of it- but the doctor onced pescribed me anti depressents.

It was not a happy time for me, I know that i have tendencies all my life, but i dont want to take a tablet... Its ok for others, but as I am taking enough medication, i dont want to take anymore... I want talking therapy.

Do you think that my doctor would pescribe me that? I tried quiet recently in going to Mind- (which is a mental heath charity) they do voluntary 'talking therapy', but only for a short amount of time. I think maximum of 10 sessions.

My problems go back to my child hood. Self estem is such an important issue growing up that any set back's in later life is because of a low self estem set in childhood.

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 3:16 PM
It was not a happy time for me, I know that i have tendencies all my life, but i dont want to take a tablet... Its ok for others, but as I am taking enough medication, i dont want to take anymore... I want talking therapy.

Do you think that my doctor would pescribe me that? I tried quiet recently in going to Mind- (which is a mental heath charity) they do voluntary 'talking therapy', but only for a short amount of time. I think maximum of 10 sessions.

Donna the psychiatric world is quite divided on Mental health. there are even those who claim that the majority of the diagnosed mental health problems don't really exist. But the major division is between those who feel that the problems are of a SOCIAL causing, versus those who feel that the problems are of a BIOLOGICAL causing. You can find MANY books on this debate. But I'll just say that I share your view that the majority of these mental illnesses are socially based, rather than due to some genetic or chemical imbalance that can magically be cured by just taking a magic pill.

diB4u
Nov 27, 2007, 3:28 PM
Donna the psychiatric world is quite divided on Mental health. there are even those who claim that the majority of the diagnosed mental health problems don't really exist. But the major division is between those who feel that the problems are of a SOCIAL causing, versus those who feel that the problems are of a BIOLOGICAL causing. You can find MANY books on this debate. But I'll just say that I share your view that the majority of these mental illnesses are socially based, rather than due to some genetic or chemical imbalance that can magically be cured by just taking a magic pill.

I know that is soo true, because no matter how many pills i pop my problems will still be there... Sad but its true...

Anti depressents can help to lift that cloud, so a person has breathing space to think. I know of people who have to take anti depressents due to having manic depression... Another person i know that has depression due to having bouts of anorexia has talking therapy or still does I think.

For the person with a chemical imbalance in their brain then yeah that will probably re adjust their neurons. What i cant stand is that I know of a person who is natrually optomistic, who has everything that the person wants falls into their laps. Her view is that a person can change a situation, but sometimes its unfixable. She has a 'been there seen people get depressed, what is the point of waisting life on that?'

We tend to agree to disagree, for I know full well that depression exsist.
I cant change the person I am. I cant be a sexy supermodel, I can be the person I am...

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:02 PM
Exactly... what happens when your physical, mental or social reality is not an ideal or pleasant one? In theory you could just keep taking happy pills to try and bury your head in the sand. OR you could directly address those realities that are upsetting you through another form of therapy.

Anyway, what?! You mean you're NOT a sexy supermodel?! Dammit, I don't know why I even bothered wasting my time typing this post for you! :tongue:

Now, where's that Keira Knightley centerfold? :bowdown: :bigrin:

gfofbiguy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:10 PM

I find this interesting, as I didn't know that there was such a division of people who think that mental illness is of a "social" causing rather than biological...My brother is bipolar - severely so (to the point that if he is not taking his medication that he hears voices - he was misdiagnosed for years as being schizophrenic...but severe bipolar mimics schizophrenia as I have learned throughout this). I remember back when he was in college, he called our mom one day out of the blue and said that he felt something "pop" in his brain. No, nothing hurt, just he knew that something happened and everything was different. From then on, until now, it has been a very difficult struggle with medications, hospitalizations, therapy and now he has been living on his own for years and holding down a job, albeit parttime, but with the same company for a number of years. He has to take his medications, but the doctors and psychiatrists and social workers all worked together (for a change, can you believe it?) with my brother and weaned him down to what he takes now. I know he does not want to be on medications for the rest of his life, but if he's not on them, he spirals down and hears the voices and bad things can happen...

On the other hand, I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) as well as posttraumatic stress disorder/syndrome - both of which could be said are due to "social issues" (mental/emotional/physical abuse during my now-defunct marriage). I was on medication for about 18-24 months as well as going to "talk therapy" which I attended for about 2 years. Both of which helped me a GREAT deal and I'm grateful that I was able to have access to both the medication (I was on Lexapro for the entire time, Xanax for just 30 days for the acute phase) as well as the therapy.

I don't think I'm "cured", as some of the scars may "heal" but will never go away, but I am at a place that I can handle that without medication or therapy. My brother, I don't think will ever be "cured" as well by taking a "magic" pill, but he is able to live his life and be comfortable in himself now...I don't think there will ever be any easy answers about this subject.

I do have to agree, though, that it is the pharmaceutical companies that profit from any/all of us who take ANY sort of medication...but that's another discussion LOL

diB4u
Nov 27, 2007, 4:28 PM
Exactly... what happens when your physical, mental or social reality is not an ideal or pleasant one? In theory you could just keep taking happy pills to try and bury your head in the sand. OR you could directly address those realities that are upsetting you through another form of therapy.

Anyway, what?! You mean you're NOT a sexy supermodel?! Dammit, I don't know why I even bothered wasting my time typing this post for you! :tongue:

Now, where's that Keira Knightley centerfold? :bowdown: :bigrin:

Sorry to burst your bubble No I am most certanly NOT.:(

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:29 PM
GFOFBIGUY, I think that there ARE definitely SOME cases that do have a biological cause. Although I guess its sometimes kinda hard to determine exactly what is causing something. But if you do a bit of digging, you'll soon come across books with themes such as those I mentioned.

Speaking for myself, I've tried various medications, and found them only to treat the syptoms rather than the cause itself. I guess I was always depressed FOR A REASON. Or at least it did seem that way to me at the time. Anti-depressants have certainly helped to aleviate some of my more extreme symptoms though. But I do find that I've come to depend on them somewhat, and that the side-effects possibly now outweigh the benefits.

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:32 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble No I am most certanly NOT.:(

Oh, thats cool. As my trusty old quote goes: "The only thing super about a super-model is the size of her ego".

There. I can now retire that one until next year's "Crappy Self-Quotation Convention".

Do I get any Brownie points?

gfofbiguy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:37 PM
I completely agree with you, they certainly do treat the symptoms...and lots of people do come to depend on them. I was lucky in the fact that when my doctor prescribed them for me, he told me that most people were on that medication for approximately 18-24 months, some shorter, some longer, but we would wean me off of them around that time, and I also had to coordinate with my therapist.

As for your statement, the medications treat the symptoms and not the cause, very correct - at least in my life (not sure about in my brother's, as he's on different meds). That's why I was told it was important to take the medications in conjunction with the therapy - because while the medications may treat the symptoms and they did that very well, there is/was still something underlying that is/was causing the pain and that - at least for me - was best treated with talking/therapy. Which I weaned off as well LOL

gfofbiguy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:38 PM
Oh, thats cool. As my trusty old quote goes: "The only thing super about a super-model is the size of her ego".

There. I can now retire that one until next year's "Crappy Self-Quotation Convention".

LOL, you do in my book!:cool:

Skater Boy
Nov 27, 2007, 4:49 PM
I completely agree with you, they certainly do treat the symptoms...and lots of people do come to depend on them. I was lucky in the fact that when my doctor prescribed them for me, he told me that most people were on that medication for approximately 18-24 months, some shorter, some longer, but we would wean me off of them around that time, and I also had to coordinate with my therapist.

Wow, that sounds like organized therapy! I've been on my anti-depressants for more than 5 YEARS now, and although I don't really feel that I need them that much these days, the doctors are reluctant to ween me off them as yet. Its a bit scary because its got to the stage where if I DON'T take my daily pill, then I just CANNOT sleep all night. Plus I heard somewhere that taking psychiatric meds over long periods of time can actually alter the structure of your brain. So it sounds like I urgently need to have a word with my psychiatrist...

diB4u
Nov 27, 2007, 5:04 PM

Well i'd like to hear more of the crappy self quotation convention...

Yeah it does earn you brownie points....

Starsign69
Nov 27, 2007, 5:58 PM
For anyone on (or seriously considering going on) any sort of psychiatric medication (even seeminlgy mild ones) I would strongly recommend reading "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin. It's very informative!

Fresia
Apr 12, 2015, 7:12 PM
Bump it up!

Melody Dean
Apr 12, 2015, 7:59 PM
My husband is on Depakote, and it definitely affects his libido. But without it, he has more seizures. But his body adjusts to it over time, he starts getting seizures again, and they up the dosage. I don't think it helps as much as he or they think it does, but I think he also doesn't want to talk to his doctor about it for fear of adding yet another medication to the cocktail. So, we find other ways to deal...

pole_smoker
Apr 12, 2015, 8:07 PM
Bump it up!
You need to be on medications for being manic/bipolar.