PDA

View Full Version : My terrible secret!

Cantaloupe Island
Aug 8, 2007, 2:55 AM
Ok guys, I need to share this with some people. I like many other people in the world suffer from a medical condition called Hyperhidrosis. Basically we sweat wayyy to much! Now where you may ask? Well it depends on the person. Some people it's the back, hands, armpits, feet, and/or knees. I personally suffer from mainly the hands and the armpits. Now the armpits I can handle. There is treatments you can apply, and it's fairly easy to handle. So that part doesn't affect me very much.

However my hands are a problem. A good comparison like like Rogue from X-Men (albeit a geeky example). It's impossible for me to make hand contact. Just imagine how many people you touch with your hands. You don't appreciate it until you lose the ability to do it. This presents awkward situations like hand shakes for job interviews. I try to prepare for those events. I keep a handkerchief in my pocket to wipe just before shaking. But job interviews aren't the least of my problems. Romantic relationships are terribly embarrassing. Imagine telling someone on a date: "oh sorry, I can't hold your hand, I suffer from chronic sweating!" Not terribly sexy.

The good news is that it is both treatable and curable. However the treatments tend to be painful and irritating (essentially the medication drys out your sweat glands near the surface which stings). And the cure is both expensive and has many drawbacks one of which is the cost the other is that you sweat in other places (like your back and legs; but it's usually better than your hands). I live in Canada, and I've found almost no places that will do the surgery. Luckily in America they have hyperhydrosis centers which specialize in these types of surgeries. But they're expensive. I have about $3000 from my job I've saved up. I figure in about another year I'll have enough money to possibly consider the surgery.

So why am I telling people this? Maybe because I need to get it off my chest. I'm a likable guy, who could stand a chance to get a girlfriend or a boyfriend. Yet, I'm still too embarrassed to pursue anything because of my condition. It's really a matter of chance. Eventually I'll find someone who doesn't mind my hands. This usually means getting to know someone first. So first time dates are literally impossible.

Oh and did I mention dancing? Ya, you can imagine how much fun that is. I tend to avoid any parties or events that involve dancing.

Hopefully I'll get some other people with the same condition to reply on the topic! Or anyone else who wishes to say something! All comments are welcome!

Thanks!

onewhocares
Aug 8, 2007, 5:52 AM
First, thank you for sharing this. I must admit that I had not heard of this condition. One of the many wonderful things about this site is that it is open to any and all topics that effect us. And Yes, I do know how painful a situation like this can be. A recent disc herniation in my back has left me on crutch or at best limping, and you do not know what it is like to loose the most common things that we all take for granted. I also am amazed at the ignorance of people. From stares to being down right rude. Were I not such a lady I might tell them to fuck off...but that is not me....I trip them with my crutch ( levity here).

Second, I know someone who does sweat, and yes it is or can be a most irritating condition. I have always tried to either make light of the condition or ignore it at best. In the romance and lovemaking department, I agree it can be a bit tricky. I always kept a towel handy insisting that I did not like the feel of lube on my hands. Never wanted to make him feel uncomfortable.

Just wanted to share this and also to let you know that you are not alone.

Belle

Doggie_Wood
Aug 8, 2007, 5:59 AM
This is the first I have heard of this condition as well.
The best of luck to yuo in your future treatments to cure this condition.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder. If I see someone working or even think of working hard, I break out in a sweat - forehead, chest, underarms, back. Or is it that my body is preparing itself to stay cool from all the work I am seeing or thinking of? LOL :rolleyes:

:doggie:

kitten
Aug 8, 2007, 9:22 AM
Thank you for sharing your secret. I have heard of the condition but did not know the official name. I'm glad there is a treatment and surgery available to you. Sounds like you are well on your way to meeting your financial goal to have the surgery. Good for you finding solutions and acting on them!

I found this website: http://www.hyperhidrosis.com/ . You have probably already seen it, but it says there are doctors and offices all over the world for treatments and surgery.

You will find that special someone who knows you and likes you for your total package!

Best wishes and hugssssss,

MarieDelta
Aug 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, I agree w/kitten thanks for sharing this with us.

I'm glad that there is a cure, and I wish you the best in earning the money.

Take care hon,

Hugs :)

Cantaloupe Island
Aug 8, 2007, 1:33 PM
Thanks for all your support guys & gals!

@kitten - Ya I know there's a lot of doctors here in Canada that do treatment but most of them are just botox injections. I've found very few that actually do the specialized surgery. And if I'm going to be doing dangerous and life altering surgery I really would like the best of the best!

I'm also really glad people are learning about this condition. A lot of people when they see people with sweaty hands assume it's a hygienic thing or something.

Thanks!

seafer
Aug 8, 2007, 1:39 PM
Ok guys, I need to share this with some people. I like many other people in the world suffer from a medical condition called Hyperhidrosis. Basically we sweat wayyy to much! Now where you may ask? Well it depends on the person. Some people it's the back, hands, armpits, feet, and/or knees. I personally suffer from mainly the hands and the armpits. Now the armpits I can handle. There is treatments you can apply, and it's fairly easy to handle. So that part doesn't affect me very much.

However my hands are a problem. A good comparison like like Rogue from X-Men (albeit a geeky example). It's impossible for me to make hand contact. Just imagine how many people you touch with your hands. You don't appreciate it until you lose the ability to do it. This presents awkward situations like hand shakes for job interviews. I try to prepare for those events. I keep a handkerchief in my pocket to wipe just before shaking. But job interviews aren't the least of my problems. Romantic relationships are terribly embarrassing. Imagine telling someone on a date: "oh sorry, I can't hold your hand, I suffer from chronic sweating!" Not terribly sexy.

The good news is that it is both treatable and curable. However the treatments tend to be painful and irritating (essentially the medication drys out your sweat glands near the surface which stings). And the cure is both expensive and has many drawbacks one of which is the cost the other is that you sweat in other places (like your back and legs; but it's usually better than your hands). I live in Canada, and I've found almost no places that will do the surgery. Luckily in America they have hyperhydrosis centers which specialize in these types of surgeries. But they're expensive. I have about $3000 from my job I've saved up. I figure in about another year I'll have enough money to possibly consider the surgery.

So why am I telling people this? Maybe because I need to get it off my chest. I'm a likable guy, who could stand a chance to get a girlfriend or a boyfriend. Yet, I'm still too embarrassed to pursue anything because of my condition. It's really a matter of chance. Eventually I'll find someone who doesn't mind my hands. This usually means getting to know someone first. So first time dates are literally impossible.

Oh and did I mention dancing? Ya, you can imagine how much fun that is. I tend to avoid any parties or events that involve dancing.

Hopefully I'll get some other people with the same condition to reply on the topic! Or anyone else who wishes to say something! All comments are welcome!

Thanks!

well Ive not the same codtion, but some kind of cure..Maybe.. LOL. you could move to Arizona. then you could just tell all the women that its hot and you sweat alot.. they are use to that here.. and it is true, its hotter then hell here right now..every year it gets hotter.. today we are at a high of 112.. HHHOOTT!!!! :tong: I hope your laughing at this point. Im not ment to be mean, just trying to get a smile or two..

wanderingrichard
Aug 8, 2007, 5:31 PM
yeah, i've heard of it.. when i was a sergeant in the army i had 2 different soldiers [ different times and duty assignments] with it.. both from the same area of the world you're from, by coincidence..

it has to suck, being held captive from life like that.. just wish there were an inexpensive cure that didnt require surgery..

Cantaloupe Island
Aug 8, 2007, 5:43 PM
yeah, i've heard of it.. when i was a sergeant in the army i had 2 different soldiers [ different times and duty assignments] with it.. both from the same area of the world you're from, by coincidence..

it has to suck, being held captive from life like that.. just wish there were an inexpensive cure that didnt require surgery..

It does suck, but it's not as bad as other diseases. The main problem with it is meeting people for the first time. Once you get to know somebody, you accept each others faults. But imagine for people living more than 50 years ago. When there was no cure or even treatment for it! I'm very lucky to live in a rich country where my issue can be solved. If you live in India or Indonesia, then you're stuck with it your whole life. By the way, about 3% of the population have hyperhydrosis in some form.