PDA

View Full Version : Names

Toad82
Jul 27, 2007, 11:50 PM
For the last few days I have been thinking about peoples names and how they relate to the overall effect of their lives. Over the years I have gone by many names. Screen, user and the all important nicknames besides each of my real names. I have gone by Toad, RJ, Thy night, AFTandahalf, in addition to others for many years. I didn’t even know my real name until I was 12.

Everyone referred to me by my middle name until I asked my mother why I was named the way I was. I thought my first name was my last name spelled backwards. Turns out my middle name is backwards from my last and what I thought was my middle name was my first when in this country. When in my fathers country my name get longer and my first name is not recognized as a name at all, but as a title. For the ones still reading and care my first name when in this country is Raja, when in my fathers it is Rinza.

I know that my full real name has helped me out in life by people having a fascination with it. I have had more conversations started by people that know my name than any other way. And because I have a unusual name, people tend to remember me for longer than they would otherwise.

Because of this it is much easier for me to do certain types of things, as years down the road I have been stopped and been reacquainted for a period of time with people I went to school with, worked with or knew in another way. And while my name has helped me at times, since 9/11 when ever I fly I wonder why I bother to get dressed. I get searched almost every time.

I suppose the question I want to ask is have you ever felt that your name has helped or hurt you in anyway? And for those that don’t mind, what is your real first name?

Sorry for being long winded,

RJ :lokai:

texasman6172003
Jul 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
Hi, I don't think my name has hurt me at all,lol. Although you would get a kick out of what people have done with my real last name,lol. Oh and my real first name is Charles... :bipride:

FalconAngel
Jul 28, 2007, 12:25 AM
Names tend to resonate certain vibrations in our psyche.
If you look through history certain names. People with names like Alexander, Henry and the like, we expect success from. They resonate power and success.

Take a look through any baby book which has not only the baby names, but the name's meanings and you will find some pretty interesting things. For instance, in Celtic my first name means "humorous" and my middle name means "defender", which seems to suit me pretty well.

My road name (I've been a biker for 26 years) is Falcon. Btw, your buddies give you your road name, you don't give it to yourself.

But I digress, a bit.
Names carry a lot of personal power and can be used both to your advantage and disadvantage if you understand them and their power.

meteast chick
Jul 28, 2007, 8:51 AM
Even though people screw up my screen name into something sexual, it really isn't. It's a geographical reference to where I live, which is called Metro East St Louis. That means I live in the Illinois side of St Louis, hence meteast.

I'm not shy about my name, and many people here already know it. My first name is Rachelle, pronounced Rachel, so that has caused me problems my entire life with people either misspelling or mispronouncing it. It's origin is Hebrew meaning "Ewe" but the spelling is French. My middle name is Lizabeth, which, if given the proper full name is Elizabeth, in Hebrew is "Oath of God". I'm pretty sure I wasn't named because of the meaning of my name. It used to really bother me as a child. As an adult I just correct people and go on. I now say I'd rather people misspelled my name than mispronounced it.

And just for the record, I love the name Raja. I had a friend in high school who said when she had a child, that would be his OR her name. It didn't matter which, she just loved the name that much, so take heart.

luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast

deeTM
Jul 28, 2007, 9:47 AM
I've often wondered if people's names shaped their lives in some way. For instance if I were named Stanley or Hank, would I be a different person? Maybe, maybe not. I'll never know. As it is, I have a fairly unique name. In the past my name was given to males. Recently though, it has been given to females. I like it though and like you Raja, people remember my name for years. It's still a fairly rare name. If you're interested though PM me and I'll tell you.

Dee.

P.S. It's not Dee, lol. That's a derivative of my middle name.

dafydd
Jul 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
My actual birth name is Dafydd. But everyone calls me David or Dave or Davey.
Dafydd is a Welsh name (I am Welsh) and people in the UK might know it well for a certain comedy sketch.
David means "beloved" in Hebrew
I have a mug which reads
"You will always make hearts beat,
admired by all the girls you meet,
beloved is your role in life,
especially when you choose a wife"

hahah

oh and by the way, for all you US folks, Dafydd is prononced Dafith.

d

ps if you don't know where Wales is or that it is a country then shame on you.

TaylorMade
Jul 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
Though I'm black, I probably have the most "un-black" first name. . .no lie, It's listed among the 20 "Whitest" First names------->Go ahead, take a look! (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2470131&page=1)

In a way, it's a blessing and a curse. Over the phone, sight unseen, many people will assume I'm either blonde or something until they see me - -it's nice- I can pawn it off on others in case I screw something up.:tong: But, once on a blind date, they didn't believe it was me until I pulled out my ID. :rolleyes:

My middle name is a cop out. I'm probably going to have it changed after a while to something more. . .interesting. Probably go with the handle I've had for a while. . .Taylor.

Dafydd - - I had a professor from Wales named Gwynn. Reedy sumbitch who knew his ancient Greek. I never was so in love with someones mind- - till he insulted the Spartans. :p

*Taylor*

domill
Jul 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
Dafydd is a Welsh name (I am Welsh) and people in the UK might know it well for a certain comedy sketch.

Oh boy.
Your name really is Dafydd. And you're really from Wales. And you're gay. oh my.
Yet you moved to London. Were you feeling a bit lonely in your hometown, Dafydd?

Ok, I'm really sorry about that. I'm sure it's the first time someone makes that kind of joke.
Couldn't help it.

Seriously, how annoying is it? Is that the reason why people call you David?

Tygress75
Jul 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
I blame Misses Locklear and Graham thoroughly for my predicament, but they haven't shown up in my room yet for penance.:(

Gee thanks, Taylor! Guess what MY real first name is? :rolleyes:

TaylorMade
Jul 28, 2007, 12:28 PM
Gee thanks, Taylor! Guess what MY real first name is? :rolleyes:

See... now if I had known, I wouldn't have said anything.

*Taylor*

Ally Kat
Jul 28, 2007, 1:00 PM
well Ally Kat is something my brothers stuck on me...short for Allison Katherine...boring I know lol

dafydd
Jul 28, 2007, 1:24 PM
Oh boy.
Your name really is Dafydd. And you're really from Wales. And you're gay. oh my.
Yet you moved to London. Were you feeling a bit lonely in your hometown, Dafydd?

Ok, I'm really sorry about that. I'm sure it's the first time someone makes that kind of joke.
Couldn't help it.

Seriously, how annoying is it? Is that the reason why people call you David?

nah people called me David long before the sketch. And I had this username long before Lucas and Walliams fucked it over :)
Actually I really don't mind. Friends have called me David from day one, it's only my really Welsh relatives that might say the Dafydd, but then they never watch TV anyway.

D

Lisa (va)
Jul 28, 2007, 1:52 PM
From the Greek "honey bee". In Greek mythology, this was the name of a nymph that saved Zeus from his father, Cronus. The 16th century Italian poet Ariosto used the name for a good fairy in his poem "Orlando Furioso." Melissa is also the genus name of five herbs in the mint family of plants.

Oh heavens, I'm a nymph.

Not sure how it's affected my life, I hardly ever use that name.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

bohemian69
Jul 28, 2007, 4:49 PM
Well, I do believe that my first name had influenced my earlier childhood.
I hated my first name. :eek: I often wondered where my parents (or what they were smoking) when they named me.
You have to understand, I have Bohemian and German ancestary, so for my parents to come up with an old English name of 'Ardell', well who knows.
One of the first jobs I ever had was working as a busboy in a Chinese restaurant. Now just imagine 8 Chinese men trying to pronounce my first name. Yeah.......that was a lot of fun.
So, now it is simply AJ. (Rolls off the tongue a little easier). :bigrin:

texasman6172003
Jul 28, 2007, 8:30 PM
From the Greek "honey bee". In Greek mythology, this was the name of a nymph that saved Zeus from his father, Cronus. The 16th century Italian poet Ariosto used the name for a good fairy in his poem "Orlando Furioso." Melissa is also the genus name of five herbs in the mint family of plants.

Oh heavens, I'm a nymph.

Not sure how it's affected my life, I hardly ever use that name.

Lisa

hugs n kisses Hey,remember what i called you once when i greeted you in the room, " myLisa",lol. I rememberd what your brother called you,i think it was yur brother,lol.. Charles... :bipride:

onewhocares
Jul 28, 2007, 9:05 PM
Well, my screen name is Belle and is taken from the pet name my husband used to call me....SUZIBELLE. I never really minded my real first name, which is Susan, but rather am thankful that my grandmother talked my mother out of the name she really wanted....Penelope. I would be Penny for sure.

Since coming on this site and using the name Belle, I have gotten to like it honestly. I am looking into having my license plate on my car read Belle. Many of the people from the site whom I have met in person call me Belle. Used Bear is the most prolific of the users.

When we were thinking of a name for our daughter, we wanted a strong, independent, confident name. We selected Kendall, and to be honest, she fits her name to a tee. She is all those characteristic and artistic, compassionate, lyrical and beautiful too. The name came from the man who designed our home. We admired him and what he stood for, so it was fitting. Since both his and my husband were both named Bill, when we were together I just started calling him Kendall and well it grew on us. The second choice was going to be Cameron.....which turns out to be a man whom I adore and admire.

Belle from Boston

Tygress75
Jul 28, 2007, 10:03 PM
well Ally Kat is something my brothers stuck on me...short for Allison Katherine...boring I know lol
No, hon.. it's purrrr-fect! ;)

Herbwoman39
Jul 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
Names can also be a source of disappointment.

When I was young my father told me that I was named for the great Italian opera singer Maria Callas. I've told many people that story and it has always been a source of pride for me.

Then a couple weeks ago the topic came up in a conversation with my mother and she told me that I was, in actuality, named after the character Maria in "The Sound of Music", a musical I really am not fond of in the least.

I've also found that if people hear my name without seeing a photo they tend to think that I am hispanic.

For years I've considered changing my name to Fiona but it's just too much of a pain in the behind to get everything legally changed.

Oh and I *do* agree that the name given a child can have a great influence on their personality.

redheadhoneycat
Jul 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
I don't think my name has helped or hurt me in anyway...my family such as my brothers and sisters and parents call me by my first and middle name...Carolyn Paige.... everyone else just calls me Carolyn....sometimes people that do not know me call me Caroline because they think that is really my name which is wrong but I just go with the flow anyway..... :rolleyes:

biwords
Jul 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
First and middle names: Paul Stephen.
I doubt that it's had much of an effect on me. "Paul", I'm told, is ancient Roman army slang for "Shorty" and since I'm 5'6", that seems rather cruelly apt. It's also a bit 'soft' for my taste...would have preferred something like Rocky :).

Michael623
Jul 29, 2007, 11:47 AM
Mine is Michael Keith. Most people call me Mike but I prefer Michael. Mike is the only nick name I've ever had.

wanderingrichard
Jul 29, 2007, 1:54 PM
<sigh> un intentionally, i hope, i've been named for three kings... tho i really think it was just family tradition of taking the 1st name of the father and the 1st name of one of the grandfathers and putting them together...

try this didactic mess for a sons name;

Richard

Elmer

Walter..

sorry if my history is very weak but look to ireland and england and maybe france , too, and you'll find all 3 names are those of kings who did well....

too bad my life has been such a trail of tears and wrecked discarded relationships with little enough progress to live up to the expectations of those names.. hell if that were true, i'd be a very very influential person somehow... hope this is making sense, it's stream of thot without my usual waking up crutch of good strong coffee
Rich :three: :rainbow:

bearisbare
Jul 29, 2007, 2:38 PM
My current name is a play on words to some degree, as many people think of me as a bear, and I am often without clothes around the house. I originally had another name on here, one I have used for years on a blog, "polybear". I took a new ID after a personal situation occurred last year.

The older nick probably reflects me more, as I am polyamorous and bearish. I was surprised to see a name like that become available on a blogging site with millions of existing blogs.

My first name is Stephen.

Fire Lotus
Jul 29, 2007, 2:55 PM
I've had two names here. The first one is SoftFlame. It came about from the fact I have auburn hair (Flame). But I also wanted to make it sound a bit more, I suppose, femme. So I put the Soft in front of it. I still use this name, but ONLY for chatting. There is no profile/ad under that name.

My second name, I wanted to to be similar but at the same time, different from the first name....Fire Lotus. Again, Fire for hair. (Which by the way, is showing some gray now and I'm okay with that.) Lotus, well because I like the flower. :) There is a profile with this name.

My real name is Kathy.

Music Girl
Jul 29, 2007, 3:43 PM
I find this topic very interesting, as I truly hated my name when I was growing up. My ancestry is German, so my parents wanted to name me a German name. At the time, it was a name that you almost never heard. It's a long name, and I remember having a hard time learning to write it when I was little. I always had to tell people how to spell it. Plus, all my friends had what I thought were "cute" names. But, as I grew up, I learned to love my name. Now, I'm very proud of it, and not just because a country singer shares my name (although, I think I was around first...lol). Oh, by the way, most people can spell my name now, because of the singer. One nice thing about my name is if I am in a crowd and hear someone yell "Gretchen", I know they're most likely talking to me.

:) Music Girl (Gretchen)

raistkit
Jul 29, 2007, 4:17 PM
born in 1961 most girls were called lori. 40 some years later almost no one calls me lori. just does'nt seem to suit me. i have more knicknames than you can shake a stick at. my personal fav is kit. don't think anyone has called me lori in years and that suits me just fine.
kit

RedTygre_74
Jul 29, 2007, 4:28 PM
Though I can't think of any time specifically, at the moment. I Believe I can say yes to both my 1st & last. And I do have to say my LAST name especially, since it has been the focus on both POSITIVE & NEGATIVE sexual jokes.

jamiehue
Jul 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
im a twin so its jamie and janie my oldersisters are also twins amiee and annie my poor mother!

Lisa (va)
Jul 30, 2007, 12:38 AM
You are so right Tex, I became Lisa because of my brother. He couldn't pronounce my name correctly when he was learning to talk thus I went from Melissa to Mylisa, now he just calls me trouble.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

CardShark
Jul 30, 2007, 4:24 PM
My first name is Adrian. :tong: Even though i'd like to smack the guy who thought up the name for Rocky's wife, I have grown to like it. When i was a kid i thought it was a little sissy kinda, but now i could give a fuck less. At least when someone says it i don't have 20 people answer like people named Micheal do. LOL :bigrin:

Abbey Road
Jul 30, 2007, 4:57 PM
My names haven`t hindered me. My first name is John & my middle name is Paul. I often ask my parents how come they forgot George & Ringo!!! The only people who use my real name are my parents & those who I work with, everyone else uses my knickname.

Abbey Road. :bibounce: :wiggle2: :paw:

Toad82
Jul 30, 2007, 7:46 PM
Thank you for all of the answers, it has been interesting to read on the forum and in pm’s why people have the names they got.

RJ :lokai:

Skater Boy
Mar 7, 2008, 3:11 AM
Interesting topic. Although I'm more preoccupied with peoples' SCREEN names. When given the opportunity (or rather luxury) of CHOOSING a name which might encapsulate and represent one's persona, or even just convey a particular message they wish to communicate, it can be fascinating to finally understand some of the logic behind those names themselves.

For example, I was recently browsing in the occult section of a local bookstore and happened to chance upon the the name Adam Kadmon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Kadmon), which happens to be the pseudonym of a (fairly) well known member here. Another member's name that I recently chanced upon in a book was that of Hephaestion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephestion), who happened to be Alexander The Great's "most intimate friend" and military general. Not forgetting "Proseros" ofcourse, whose name is (apparently) a combination of "Prose" and "Eros".

Mine, well... its a little less inspired. Its derived from the Pink Floyd song "The Thin Ice", which includes the lyric: "If you go skating... on the thin ice of modern life..." (just in case you thought I was keen on Figure Skating, lol)

Anyone else wanna enlighten us about theirs?

TaylorMade
Mar 7, 2008, 3:48 AM
My screen name is a play on words, to reaffirm any perceived uniqueness (is that a word?)about myself to any suitors I may have. . .not that I have a malleable personality, but that whoever I enter into a relationship with here will feel as if I was. . . you get the idea.

It also is a homage to my favorite actor, Gary Sinise, whose current small screen incarnation is as a Detective named Mac Taylor.

Gratuitous picture here.

http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/csi_ny/images/bio/fullsize/gary_sinise.jpg

*Taylor*

AveaJene
Mar 7, 2008, 5:02 AM
Oh dear, you might get a novela from me on this topic....

In order to keep things straight in my brain I’m gonna approach this in a logical way…
1.My real name. Is Angela Kay. I have a twin brother Aaron. So it’s Angela and Aaron, I like the matching of names there, is cool. So, I go by Ange, or Ange Kay. (sign my art AngeKay, look for it when I’m famous) No, it’s not a misspelling typo. There is no I. Too cheerleader cutsie for me. I admit to being kind of picky about peeps spelling it right.
2.My screen name…is complicated and very Dear to my heart. I have MPD and AveaJene is my first split. It’s also the Char name I use for almost all of my RPG’s (i.e. 5th Gen Bruja, VotM). So I've had that name for about 20 years...AveaJene is Gaelic, I don’t remember what it means. And I’m sure that I pronounce it wrong. The good thing about MPD…my moods have different names, literally, and I get to pick them.
So there you are. Now lets see if I get crap for posting….

Skater Boy
Mar 7, 2008, 5:29 AM
2.My screen name…is complicated and very Dear to my heart. I have MPD and AveaJene is my first split. The good thing about MPD…my moods have different names, literally, and I get to pick them.
So there you are. Now lets see if I get crap for posting….

OMG... Do you *really* have MPD?! You mean "Multiple Personality Disorder", right? Woah... thats deep! If its any kind of consolation or compliment, I'd have never known. But hey, "welcome to the freakshow!" (and I mean that in a nice way, lol) :cool:

Thanks for sharing though. Anyone else? DiamondDog? (David Bowie thing?) DiB4u? Azrael? HighEnergy? 12Voltman? Darkeyes? (Bob Dylan song?) Dogwood? Dimity even?! :tong:

The Barefoot Contess
Mar 7, 2008, 7:29 AM
1. My real name is Ruth. It is interesting that my father (who used to be a Catholic priest) picked this name for me because of the biblical woman, but then adopted the "h" at the end just to piss off the Spanish church (some of this "friends" who were part of the church and never understood that my dad quit being a priest to get married and have children). Let me explain: in Spain, which is where I am from, though not where I currently live, the name is "Rut", without the Anglo-Saxon "h". The name has always given me trouble in Spain because in Spanish the "h" is never pronounced, but people think it is a foreign name and they want to sound "educated" when pronouncing it, so they will pronounce it as you would pronounce it in English. However, in Spanish, that does not make any sense, and it actually sounds awful, so it used to make me upset. Another reason why people pronounce it the English way is because in Spanish we don't have words ending in "-t", so it is a hard sound to pronounce. Some people finally gave in and adopted one of my nicknames: "bruja" ("witch").
2. My screen name? "The Barefoot Contessa" (I mistyped it when I registered for this site and have not been able to change it) comes from Joseph Mankiewicz's 1954 movie "The Barefoot Contessa", not from the tv show. I love the movie, and the screen name is the one I tend to use in other forums and sites. At first I just liked the movie, and thought the name was just cool, but the more I watch the movie, the more I understand that there are other reasons for my choice other than merely liking the movie.

MarieDelta
Mar 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hmmm...

Well, Marie will be the name I choose when I do change my name. It has been my screen name for a long time(6+ years with various endings). It is also the name of one of my favorite Aunts.

Delta is a greek symbol and also the end of a river when it spreads out asit meets the sea or lake (I was born near a large lake and a river.) The Greek symbol in physics:
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xmlcharent/glyphs/100dpi/U0394.png and engineering means "change." It is also symbolized by a triangle which is often used to symbolize LGBT when pink.

lonelygirlintx
Mar 7, 2008, 10:35 AM
My name is Victoria Elizabeth.

Victoria- Latin-Victory
Elizabeth- Hebrew-Oath of God

When I was growing up, I didn't at all like my name or the nickname in which my mom decided to give me since she chose Victoria. The nickname was Tori. Which I'm sorry if I offend someone, was the ugliest name anyone could be given. But I feel different about that now, a good friend of mine always calls me that. But now that I am around mostly my hispanic family, my name is Vicky, which I love except for the spelling. Elizabeth became my middle name because my mom wanted my grandma's real name to be apart of me. And I have always thought that was a good name, the spelling was good. And my last name, back then, was Hindsley, which is german, it was my grandfather's name, because I never got to meet my biological father. TG. That name was always being spelled wrong and when I would correct them, they would call me Heinz ketchup, which I really didn't like or appreciate. So I think that only my last name had a slight negative effect on me, but only for a short time. My last name now is Lazcano, which I like. It goes well with my other 2 names, and it's only gets mispronounced every once in a while.

Hephaestion
Mar 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
....I suppose the question I want to ask is have you ever felt that your name has helped or hurt you in anyway? And for those that don’t mind, what is your real first name?.....

Reminder of the Johnny Cash song a boy named Sue. Names can scar and hinder and generally cause misery. So we gave each of our children an armoury of 5 names. Were they happy? Not on your Nelly. They only adopted their first names when they found that they were easy to spell. If you have a name not of the society you are amidst you will almost certainly suffer. Of course the opposite extreme is true - try convincing a Police officer that your name really is John Smith. But all of this becomes irrelevant as we are all now better known by our:

Social Security Code
Bank Account Code
Passport Code
Inland Revenue Employment code
Drivers Licence code
Retina scan code
DNA sequence code
Health and Insurance codes
Work Security Code
Demographic profile code

In the UK we are poised to adopt an ID reference (as if there is not enough known about us and our practices already thanks to governemnt losing DVD's with all of our data).

In the immortal words of 'The Prisoner' (Patrick McGoohan) "I am not a number I am a free man!" (dream on)

Regards
Romeo Echo Delta Oner Fourer Fiver

AveaJene
Mar 7, 2008, 2:02 PM
Thanks for sharing though. Anyone else? DiamondDog? (David Bowie thing?) DiB4u? Azrael? HighEnergy? 12Voltman? Darkeyes? (Bob Dylan song?) Dogwood? Dimity even?! :tong:

I laughed SOOO hard at this.......reading SOMEONES posts....he's got Something going on. But I can't have an opinion, never been in chat at the same time.

also, yes MPD is Multiple Personalities. Thanks, not many people would even guess. I'm lucky, it's like a group of giggeling sisters in my head, all get along really well. I don't have gaps in time or memory.
and to stave off this Q, yes, 'we' are All bisexual. :tong:

Skater Boy
Mar 7, 2008, 2:15 PM
I laughed SOOO hard at this.......reading SOMEONES posts....he's got Something going on. But I can't have an opinion, never been in chat at the same time.

Hrmm... not quite sure what to make of that! WHO that "someone" is, etc.

also, yes MPD is Multiple Personalities. Thanks, not many people would even guess. I'm lucky, it's like a group of giggeling sisters in my head, all get along really well. I don't have gaps in time or memory.
and to stave off this Q, yes, 'we' are All bisexual. :tong:

Yeah, I am quite familiar with MPD. I don't claim to suffer from it, but I was diagnosed with a disorder that many would consider in a similar class. So when I "welcomed you to the freakshow" earlier, I really was being sincere and friendly, lol. ANYWAY, enough of that for today...

HighEnergy
Mar 7, 2008, 2:20 PM
I was the last of 3 girls, so my mother named me to have my father's initials. I am named for my mother's house in school, St. Monica was St Augustine's mother and she was fervent in prayer that he become a Christian. Hmm. I now prayer fervently that my sometimes sweetheart not be so crazy, so maybe I have come into my name after all. Damn it! My middle name is Elaine and in honour of my late father, I didn't do the typical thing of keeping my maiden name as a middle name when I got married. So, now my initials are MEN, which when I was in health care and had to initial lots of stuff was seen as weird. But hey, I like men, so that's ok!

And like Gretchen, I've enjoyed it being a fairly unusual name and when I heard it in a crowd, folks usually meant me. The Clinton years were rough for me, as nearly everyone I met ask me the idiotic thing about "as in Lewinsky?" But being the bold bitch that I am, I could usually shut them up fairly quickly by saying, "no, I swallow."

I named my oldest child Elizabeth as there's been an Elizabeth in every generation of my mother's family, and my sister's son almost died at birth so she wasn't having any more. It also means House of God, and she now thinks she knows more than God and thinks she's perfect, so it's fitting. I hate the nickname Liz, so when it does get shortened around here, she's Lilly. My middle child is Kathryn May. My ex wanted a little girl name Katie, which I don't care for so she's Kate. The middle name is my grandmother's name, and my mother being English hates anything American, and what's more hillbilly than Katy May? My mother was also horror struck that I chose the german spelling but considering her last name is very German, it's fitting. The next child was Sarah, which I loved the name, but after 3 girls, I'd run out of names I like and my friend suggested naming her for me, so her middle name is Elaine.

HighEnergy comes from having 4 different part time jobs so I can work around my daughter's schedules and the fact I tend to have a higher sex drive than my ex or my other partners.

HighEnergy
Mar 7, 2008, 2:22 PM
Though I'm black, I probably have the most "un-black" first name. . .no lie, It's listed among the 20 "Whitest" First names------->Go ahead, take a look! (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2470131&page=1)

*Taylor*

But Taylor isn't on that list. What did I miss?

Skater Boy
Mar 7, 2008, 2:43 PM
But Taylor isn't on that list. What did I miss?

Her name is "Heather". And I'm assuming (from that list) that this sort of name is typically preferred by those in another demographic sector. eg. Heather Locklear

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 7, 2008, 2:54 PM
lol I Hate my 'real' name. My Father, in his infinate wisdome, wanted my sis and me named after a drinking buddy of his, and his name was an old German name of Ezra. My Mom, bless her soul, tacked a D on mine so it would sound so boyish. Her name was Nedra Leigh. Mine, unfortunately, is Dezra Lee.(Cringing)
Later on I found out that this man was a child molester. I Hated the name ever since..and would rather go by a varration of my Cherokee name. Tawny/Toni..lol
Here, I am Cat, and that's just me..:}
^..^
Cat

Toad82
Mar 7, 2008, 9:55 PM
Interesting topic. Although I'm more preoccupied with peoples' SCREEN names. When given the opportunity (or rather luxury) of CHOOSING a name which might encapsulate and represent one's persona, or even just convey a particular message they wish to communicate, it can be fascinating to finally understand some of the logic behind those names themselves.

In my original post I talked about my real name; so on to my screen names.

Toad82: I have gone by the nickname of Toad for many years. 82 is my birth year. I don’t remember the real reason how I got started with that name, but I like to tell people it is because people like to lick me. :frog:

Thy night: This was my very first screen name on AOL when I was 15. I knew that I wanted something funny or romantic, but everything I tried was already used. This name fits me well because it has a subtle romanticism to it I like. For those that care it comes from the following quote;

“And if it is night, if it is his night, or my night, or thy night, or her.”
by Robert Filliou

AFTandahalf: This is my current screen name. This comes from a poem I wrote a few years ago about my life and how I have such a hard time getting close to people. Particularly those that I am/was interested in while spending a lot of time physically close to them. See my signature for the part of the poem it comes from.

RJ:lokai:

shameless agitator
Mar 7, 2008, 11:42 PM
My name is Denver John. You can imagine all the bad jokes I've had to listen to with that one. I used to hate it as a kid, but have of course gotten used to it. It does get annoying that I almost always have to repeat it for people or say "Denver, like the city" & that people forget it half the time anyway (I get called Dallas about as often as Denver). As others have pointed out though, it is nice when somebody says your name to know they're talking to you. I have occasionally though realized people weren't actually trying to get my attention but merely talking about the city or the Broncos. My screen name comes from the fact that I am a political activist & agitating is the biggest part of what I do. When I was little my family used to call me DJ, but only my aunt does that now. My most common nickname at the moment is D. My stepbrother started calling me that about 15 years ago & I of course thought it was kind of a term of endearment. Years later he admitted it was because he could never remember if it was Denver or Dallas.

paukenplayer
Mar 8, 2008, 2:15 AM
Very interesting thread.....Here's my bit....
1. "Real" name: Wayne Jay. According to my parents, they wanted me to have the same initials as my father, but not be a "jr.". His name was Warren James. Oddly, No one except for one aunt & uncle ever used my first name - my parents never called me Wayne. I have always been "Jay". Causes some confusion at times when people call out "Wayne" and I do not respond. But as I have gotten older I tend to respond to either name.
2. Screen Name "Paukenplayer": I am by trade a professional symphony orchestra percussionist (drums). Pauken is the German word for timpani, otherwise known as the "kettledrums"; one of my favorite percussion instruments to play.

**Peg**
Mar 8, 2008, 9:54 AM
no way I'm tellin anyone my name but I will share some of the nicknames I've had over the years:

peanuts
(I'm allergic: can't remember where the name originated)

skeeter (always on the go)

Anya (baby bro couldn't pronounce my real name)
squirt, shrimp, ittybitty (yes I'm tiny)

sunshine (usually bright and cheerful)

Peg is a verb

The Barefoot Contess
Mar 8, 2008, 9:59 AM
Years later he admitted it was because he could never remember if it was Denver or Dallas.

LOL, I think from now on we all should call you Dallas :tong:

gfofbiguy
Mar 8, 2008, 3:12 PM
My name is Denver John. You can imagine all the bad jokes I've had to listen to with that one.

It's OK, we don't mind whatever names you have....we just want to know, are you Rocky Mountain High?:bigrin:

shameless agitator
Mar 9, 2008, 3:01 AM
It's OK, we don't mind whatever names you have....we just want to know, are you Rocky Mountain High?:bigrin:This is one of the more common ones I get when I finally tell people my middle name. I would have thought you'd be more creative:tong:

gfofbiguy
Mar 9, 2008, 5:11 AM
This is one of the more common ones I get when I finally tell people my middle name. I would have thought you'd be more creative:tong:

Hmmm, sorry, will need to get back to you on that then, so I can get a little more creative;)