PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Aesthetics

dafydd
Jul 17, 2007, 1:52 PM
Is my avatar too aggressive for conversation?

How did you choose your avatar?

D

redheadhoneycat
Jul 17, 2007, 4:39 PM
I think your avatar is just fine. I like it. My avatar is a picture of my puppy....I think he is cute so I just thought I would use it for now. :)

deletetacount123
Jul 17, 2007, 4:42 PM
My avatar comes from a famous poster. lol I liked it so much and decided to use it. I have a actual poster too in RL.

Ally Kat
Jul 17, 2007, 4:56 PM
someone on this site posted a bunch of versions of this cat, and I begged her to let me have a copy

12voltman59
Jul 17, 2007, 4:58 PM
I wanted to find an avatar that was humorous and hopefully had some sexual theme to it-I found it on MSN's chatroom website of all places--I had at one point had thought of giving my horny bananas a break--but everyone said I should keep them---

MarieDelta
Jul 17, 2007, 5:11 PM
You Avatar is fine, reminds me a bit of those old Soviet PR posters :)

Mine is my puppy - our miniture pinscher "Shadie". How could you not love that face? Of course she's a bitch so it's perfect for me. :)

dafydd
Jul 17, 2007, 5:26 PM
My avatar comes from a famous poster. lol I liked it so much and decided to use it. I have a actual poster too in RL.

I remember the poster from your avatar being on a huge display board in Tottenham Court Road in London around 2000.
It caused a big hoo-ha. And there were similar ones with adonis muscle boys kissing. Actually I remember at the time, I was one of those critiques who voiced concern over the fact that only thin and beautiful gays and lesbians were being represented in the mainstream press and used as media magnets to sell whatever. The company who did the ad, defended themselves as pioneers of the gay/lesbian image but I wonder if anyone had had the balls at the time to show two masculine, 'dykes on bikes' snogging or two fat bearded bears with their hands down each others pants. Now that would have been seminal!

D

AstroGlide
Jul 17, 2007, 5:57 PM
Your avatar is fine. Kinda reminds me of an early recruiting poster. The "Uncle Sam Wants You" variety but with an additional phrase..... "Or Else".

Just jazzing ya...... :tongue:

TaylorMade
Jul 17, 2007, 8:47 PM
Mine is Hadrian's Wall. Hadrian was one of the "Seven Good Emperors". He built stuff and kicked ass, and had a young man as his lover. On another site, I have Antonious, Hadrian's Lover. I guess you COULD call him bisexual, but many Elite Romans had same sex relations.

I may change this to the Roman Pantheon in a couple weeks.

<shrug>

*Taylor*

AdamKadmon43
Jul 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
If you want to know what mine is about, just Google Adam Kadmon....

How's that for ego-mania ???

ghytifrdnr
Jul 18, 2007, 2:01 AM
I guess I'm the odd dissenter once again. I do find your avatar to be somwhat off-putting. The expression seems to me to be beligerent/aggressive. Sorry.
:confused:

meteast chick
Jul 18, 2007, 9:18 AM
For the record I don't find your avatar at all off putting. I think it's strong.

Mine...well I just thought it was funny. I used to have a Slip n Slide one on here too!

luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxo
meteast

innaminka
Jul 18, 2007, 9:20 PM
Its an "upfront" avatar - and yes it does remind me of the "Super Soviet Hero" type artwork that abounded many years ago.
keep it - its good; its you!

Mine - sheer dreams of what I might have been with a few different genes.

TaylorMade
Jul 18, 2007, 9:59 PM

D

I admit I thought you were black or biracial based on your avy! :cutelaugh

*Taylor*

Herbwoman39
Jul 18, 2007, 10:53 PM
My avatar was designed by Gleekybaby :) And I think yours is just fine. It says "I'm not takin your sh*t".

lilbitsva
Jul 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
I choose mine because i wanted people to see what i looked like. When i look at peoples avatar i know that it is for who they are and everything like that. lil bit

deletetacount123
Jul 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
I choose mine because i wanted people to see what i looked like. When i look at peoples avatar i know that it is for who they are and everything like that. lil bit

I love how you look :) not to interested in the dog tho. lol (sorry... childhood experiences has scared me off from large doggies :( )

a lot of times I find myself knowing who posted simply looking at
thier avatar before thier usernames.

MarieDelta
Jul 18, 2007, 11:28 PM
I love how you look :) not to interested in the dog tho. lol (sorry... childhood experiences has scared me off from large doggies :( )

a lot of times I find myself knowing who posted simply looking at
thier avatar before thier usernames.

Hmm I do too.. look at the Avatars first that is

I also like the way you look lil'bit
(but I'm not afraid of dogs :))

deletetacount123
Jul 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hmm I do too.. look at the Avatars first that is

I also like the way you look lil'bit
(but I'm not afraid of dogs :))

Cause you weren't a kid who would do what shes told, STAY ON THE SIDEWALK as kids.... but when you passed a certain house this wild dog that belongs to the owners came charging at you clearly looking like its gonna attack you cause its growling and bareing its teeth. The owners didn't care kids lived on that street and kept thier dog unleshed... a lot of kids became scared of large dogs after that.

wanderingrichard
Jul 18, 2007, 11:39 PM

D
naw, don't sweat your avatar.. it's fine.. great that it looks like an art deco piece, kind of classy in it's own way. don't worry about not gettin a lotta responses right off, sometimes it takes a while for folks to warm up to u .. happened to me , happens to everyone..

my avatar was a mistake that i've meant to change, and not had the resources or time to do so.. it only sorta fits, if you look at it closely theres a bit of roughness in that sex act..and i wanted more tenderness ... then, gleeky, sweetheart that she is, gave me a really great one when she had a major give away mood, and i need to re size it, and havent..and her's fits better by far and changes my whole online persona...

oh my, did i prattle on ....?????

Doggie_Wood
Jul 19, 2007, 7:07 AM
Leave it as it is dafydd (that is unless you want to change it).
It kinda' reminds me of a Cuban freedomfighter.

Mine - well, that's Marvin, always going somewhere, kind of like me, always going somewhere.

Skater Boy
Jul 19, 2007, 10:17 AM
I thought your avatar was an animated picture of the boxer Amir Khan, Dafydd. But maybe it just looks similar to him. Its not off-puting though.

Mine is a stock photo of someone ice-skating to tie in with my user-name "Skater Boy".

But I don't think avatars are all that important... its the person behind them that counts.

rayosytruenos
Jul 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
You Avatar is fine, reminds me a bit of those old Soviet PR posters :) [...] Hi!

I thought so too. I therefore thought that you wanted with it to show yourself like a strong man physically and mentally, so I was afraid you were a bit closed-minded, but after reading your profile and posts, I decided it was a preconception and misjudgement of my part. I mean I find you a really approachable and open-minded guy.

All the best,

ray

JoyJoyHollywood
Jul 19, 2007, 3:58 PM
Well, I'll be honest and admit that when I did first see your avatar, I was a little intimidated.

But-that's because it's a mirror image of an editor I used to have. He used to get that same expression when someone would come in with really lousy work. Right before he would storm off to the dark room with a blunt to deal with his "stress."

I can see the Soviet similarity though-very "No two chickens for you, comrade."

I don't use an avatar. I don't really think it's my style. I bore easily and it would start to annoy me. Deeply.

CHOCOLATECITY32
Jul 19, 2007, 5:01 PM
4 starters y would u use a avatar from a video game unless it resembles u in some since..it is kinda of off putting due 2 the fact that u r respresenting a video game avatar...my avatar is a hershey bar logo b/c i am chocolate city

rayosytruenos
Jul 19, 2007, 6:11 PM
[...] I don't use an avatar. I don't really think it's my style. I bore easily and it would start to annoy me. Deeply.I do get tired of mine too, so I change them from time to time. I consider myself sort of an artist and I prefer to give some visual impression (for better or for worse :tong: ) and I love it even more when animated. The one about "Love is love. No matter who's feeling it!" is based on one I saw and I liked it. I added one pic, and changed another one, and wrote the message with a favourite font and bright/dark colour contrast...

Hmmm... that reminds me that I haven't changed it for a while... I think I'm going to put now one of my old ones... :rolleyes:

All the best,

ray

JoyJoyHollywood
Jul 19, 2007, 6:23 PM
I do get tired of mine too, so I change them from time to time. I consider myself sort of an artist and I prefer to give some visual impression (for better or for worse :tong: ) and I love it even more when animated. The one about "Love is love. No matter who's feeling it!" is based on one I saw and I liked it. I added one pic, and changed another one, and wrote the message with a favourite font and bright/dark colour contrast...

Hmmm... that reminds me that I haven't changed it for a while... I think I'm going to put now one of my old ones... :rolleyes:

All the best,

ray

I like yours. It moves....kinda hypnotizes me when I let my eyes rest.

Fun!

rayosytruenos
Jul 19, 2007, 7:30 PM
I like yours. It moves....kinda hypnotizes me when I let my eyes rest.

Fun!
Oh, thank you, but unfortunately I get tired of seeing them all the time... I need a rest from them, so I guess some people too!!! :bigrin: I believe that's the reason why I haven't ventured to get a tattoo. I've seen some really nice ones, but I would get tired of seeing the same one every day... Oh my, how unstable I am... :( :rolleyes: :tong:

All the best,

ray

deeTM
Jul 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hi dafydd, I just read your profile. Got curious after reading this post. Your avatar does seem a bit strong compared to what you've said about yourself in your profile but if you like it that's what counts. Maybe it can teach us all a lesson that I'm sure we all think we know... "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

Speaking of muses. You've made me realize that I've been delinquent on filling out my own profile. I should do that... too bad I'm an awful procrastinator, lol. Actually, you remind me of me. Not that I'm in the least bit artistically inclined although there was that one poem long ago...

I feel that I'm introspective as well. Anyway, this is me saying Hello to you.

Dee.

Gxozi
Jul 20, 2007, 9:58 AM
Ur avatar put me off at first, but after reading ur posts it appears ur more sensitive than ur avatar initially led me to believe.

an avatar is a way of giving a first impression. *shrug* each person expresses themselves differently.

DiamondDog
Jul 20, 2007, 3:00 PM
I admit I thought you were black or biracial based on your avy! :cutelaugh

*Taylor*

I also thought that.

My avatar is a Satyr since I like them and a friend joked that it looked like me (minus the horns, muscles, and 6-pak abs).

I used to have a bear growling and then it was two bears fellating each other.

dafydd
Jul 21, 2007, 6:16 AM
Hi dafydd, I just read your profile. Got curious after reading this post. Your avatar does seem a bit strong compared to what you've said about yourself in your profile but if you like it that's what counts. Maybe it can teach us all a lesson that I'm sure we all think we know... "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

Speaking of muses. You've made me realize that I've been delinquent on filling out my own profile. I should do that... too bad I'm an awful procrastinator, lol. Actually, you remind me of me. Not that I'm in the least bit artistically inclined although there was that one poem long ago...

I feel that I'm introspective as well. Anyway, this is me saying Hello to you.

Dee.

very good to meet you.
actually you're avatar is quite scary. I hate clowns. Freaky ;)

d