PDA

View Full Version : Help :) Which is better to do first??

TashaSW
Jun 26, 2007, 2:22 AM
I have decided Im moving to St Catharine, Ontario. :)

I am now wonder which is better to do FIRST???

Move then find a job OR find a job there then move??

Im asking cause I was looking at Job Bank's website and so many postions want it filled "asap" (meaning you should live in the area or close)

I have no idea how long it would take me to move from BC to Ontario... I know to move all my things would take a week or so, and I would just have things I packed with me on the plane for a few days till the moving truck arrives to my new place. (Few days to a week).

Im excited!! lol

Tasha

boner_lishus
Jun 26, 2007, 9:21 AM
Tasha

:2cents: My suggestion is to secure employment first. Then make your move. You'll probably find that if someone wants to employ you then they are also willing to work with you as far as timing goes(at least thats usually what happens). Its usually customary to give your employer a two week notice. Use this time to get everything packed and your movers all set up and of course...a place to live. But that of course is contingent on you already having a job. Best of luck and stay safe. ;) :male:

the mage
Jun 26, 2007, 9:38 AM
Tasha ...no matter what the job boards say ... they lie.
St Kitts is currently undergoing massive resettling after GM pulled a major plant out of there a while ago. There are no good jobs there that dont have 50 people applying.. Get work FIRST!

biwords
Jun 26, 2007, 1:09 PM
I'm thinking you should line up the job first. Why not consider Toronto in your job search as well? or any other sizeable Ontario centre? Very best of luck, Tasha!!!!

Vuarra
Jun 26, 2007, 5:55 PM
I'm thinking you should line up the job first. Why not consider Toronto in your job search as well? or any other sizeable Ontario centre? Very best of luck, Tasha!!!!

Not knocking T.O., but unless Tasha has some talents I don't know about, she'll prolly get a McJob to start, and there's no way you can afford rent there unless you're making $20/hr or $40G/year.

And absolutely no offense intended to Tasha.

FalconAngel
Jun 26, 2007, 8:47 PM
Find the job first.

Better that you have an anchor so that it makes it easier.

Herbwoman39
Jun 26, 2007, 8:58 PM
always, Always ALWAYS get the job first. Your employer will work with you, generally speaking, on your relocation.

Congrats on your decision to move! I'm proud of you for taking the step!

TashaSW
Jun 27, 2007, 1:22 AM
Thanks you all :)

Ya, Im gonna go to St Catharines to visit my friends and some are giving me a tour :) So I can get a feel of the area, maybe apply for jobs while Im there too unless they have a website you can apply too (since most places these days do that.)

I'm gonna get a job first then move... like many of you said, employers would work with me. And you do have to give a 2 week notice at the current job anyway and lots of times new places don't ask you to be at work till a week or so after you were hired.

So Im excited :)

Tasha

AstroGlide
Jun 27, 2007, 9:38 AM
Ms. Tasha...

Tis far better to have something to go to rather than use up all your saved money trying to find something after you get there.

And apparently there are some friendly folks on this thread who you would be wise to consult with as far as finding work is concerned.

I once had saved up some money and just simply moved from Beaumont, Texas to Cloudcroft, New Mexico. (awful buzzer going off in my head
reminding me of that folly...) Needless to say, my wildest dreams faded into nightmares and I almost didn't have anough money to get back to Texas.

So, dear heart, go with the best advice you can and try to trust the information you are given by those who seem to be on the inside.

Your friend,
Astro

arana
Jun 27, 2007, 2:45 PM
Good luck Tasha! Glad you decided to look before you leap.