PDA

View Full Version : ALERT: Bush nominee for Surgeon General helped foundrd anti-LGBT "re-education" progr

Huey_durden
Jun 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
WARNING: Bush nominee for Surgeon General helped founded anti-LGBT "re-education" program & more

"It is essential that America's top doctor value sound science over anti-gay ideology," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese.

WASHINGTON – The Human Rights Campaign spoke out today in opposition to President Bush's nomination of Dr. James Holsinger to the position of Surgeon General. Among other things, the US Surgeon General is charged with educating Americans about public health.

"Dr. Holsinger has a record that is unworthy of America's doctor," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese. "His writings suggest a scientific view rooted in anti-gay beliefs that are incompatible with the job of serving the medical health of all Americans. It is essential that America's top doctor value sound science over anti-gay ideology."

In a document titled "Pathophysiology of Male Homosexuality," Dr. Holsinger opined, in his capacity as a physician, that biology and anatomy precluded considering GLBT equality in his denomination. The opinion very clearly states that this is his scientific view, stating that theological views are separate.

Additionally, Dr. Holsinger and his wife were founders of Hope Springs Community Church which, according to the church's pastor, ministers to people who no longer wish to be gay or lesbian. The pastor, Rev. David Calhoun, said that the church has an "ex-gay" ministry. "We see that as an issue not of orientation but a lifestyle," Calhoun said. "We have people who seek to walk out of that lifestyle." This type of "ex gay" conversion therapy has been condemned by almost every major, reputable medical organization – including the American Psychological Association which issued a condemnation over ten years ago.

"Although the church's theology isn't being nominated, this discredited practice purports to be a psychological and medical service, and if Dr. Holsinger is involved in any way, it conflicts with his duty to accept and promote sound science in the interest of public health," continued Solmonese.

"We are hopeful that during the hearing process Congress will fully examine Dr. Holsinger's background and part of that examination will include issues affecting our community, including his stance on conversation therapy. Too often, we have seen President Bush send nominees to Congress that have proven their inability to separate their personal beliefs from their professional duties. As the nation's chief medical doctor, the office of Surgeon General is an extremely important position that has an impact on the lives of gay and lesbian Americans (And hey HRC remember us? It also has an impact on Bisexual & Transgender Americans! or is that LGBT just in there for show & fundraising?) and the hearing process should involve a discussion about where Dr. Holsinger stands on medical issues relating to our community," Solmonese concluded.

X-posted with permissions (& a few additions) from the Human Rights Campaign

Dr. Holsinger's nomination is also opposed by Truth Wins Out, Soulforce and a host of gay medical groups. Also he hasn't done well by US Veterans either.
Holsinger's nomination will go before the US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, chaired by Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) Presidential candidates Senator Barack Obama (D-IL), Senator Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT) sit on this committee.

Please write ALL of them and tell them to STRONGLY oppose his nomination.

shameless agitator
Jun 6, 2007, 2:50 AM
Will this bullshit never end? Well folks, here's the most beautiful date in the world January 20th 2009

DiamondDog
Jun 6, 2007, 3:07 AM
Will this bullshit never end? Well folks, here's the most beautiful date in the world January 20th 2009

honestly I don't think that things will change in this country, with the next person either no matter who it is.

They'll just press the pause button on the downward spiral like Clinton did, or just be a conservative posing as a democrat like Clinton was.

Sure Kucinich is nice but nobody will vote for him since most people are going to vote for either Hilary or Obama or a conservative candidate.

Most people in the US don't care about 3rd party candidates and the whole game of politics in general is just bad acting, bullshit, and a huge sham.

Solomon
Jun 6, 2007, 4:04 AM

i agree with Diamond Dog... i just don't see the shit ending anytime soon either

spartca
Jun 6, 2007, 5:18 AM
honestly I don't think that things will change in this country, with the next person either no matter who it is.

They'll just press the pause button on the downward spiral like Clinton did, or just be a conservative posing as a democrat like Clinton was.

Sure Kucinich is nice but nobody will vote for him since most people are going to vote for either Hilary or Obama or a conservative candidate.

Most people in the US don't care about 3rd party candidates and the whole game of politics in general is just bad acting, bullshit, and a huge sham.

It's so sad but I have to agree with your analysis DiamondDog :)

I think most people know this, but choose to cooperate because we're just too fat and lazy to care, and that's why the country is corrupt from the ground up as well as the top down.

Solomon
Jun 6, 2007, 6:50 AM
It's so sad but I have to agree with your analysis DiamondDog :)

I think most people know this, but choose to cooperate because we're just too fat and lazy to care, and that's why the country is corrupt from the ground up as well as the top down.

spartca... what exactly are we supposed to do? have mass riots, assassinations, unions striking everywhere, students going crazy? would all of these antics make you happy? the more important question, would any of it change anything?

just because people don't do anything doesn't mean they're lazy, it means they don't see a way that they believe would work, and i'm just as guilty of that because i don't see a way to change it without destroying it either

JohnnyV
Jun 6, 2007, 7:05 AM

I have to agree with Diamond Dog again. Remember how quickly Clinton pulled the rug out from under Jocelyn Elders?

J

AstroGlide
Jun 6, 2007, 3:07 PM
Isn't GLB bashing part of the prerequisites for any cabinet position with Bush?

Astro

Huey_durden
Jun 6, 2007, 6:35 PM
spartca... what exactly are we supposed to do? have mass riots, assassinations, unions striking everywhere, students going crazy? would all of these antics make you happy? the more important question, would any of it change anything?

just because people don't do anything doesn't mean they're lazy, it means they don't see a way that they believe would work, and i'm just as guilty of that because i don't see a way to change it without destroying it either

Riots worked at Stonewall and I have these golf clubs here and I don't even play golf. Now I know what to do with them! Thanks for the suggestion!
:bigrin:

Solomon
Jun 6, 2007, 10:46 PM
Riots worked at Stonewall and I have these golf clubs here and I don't even play golf. Now I know what to do with them! Thanks for the suggestion!
:bigrin:

lol! have a good time!

CSBForum
Jun 6, 2007, 11:49 PM

Things won't change with the next person. Change takes time. Is this place the same as it was in the 1950's? I don't think so. So don't start being apathetic saying "things won't change so why give a shit". Get out your golf clubs and help Huey_durden. :bounce:

nyabn_webmaster
Jun 7, 2007, 6:17 PM
and for those not into contact sport, keep those cards and e-mails going out to those Senators, don't just post here, write them too

CSBForum
Jun 7, 2007, 8:33 PM
and for those not into contact sport, keep those cards and e-mails going out to those Senators, don't just post here, write them too

Maybe you could post those email address to help us out. I won't say i'm too lazy to look them up....i'll make other excuses like i don't have high speed so everything take too long, and i'm too busy making flyers for the next social. :rolleyes:

vittoria
Jun 7, 2007, 8:50 PM
crap

complete and utter crap

i dont get this place

when will discrimination stop?

never as long as we sit on our laurels

i have my nine iron

and my boxing gloves

i think a protest is in order

call me kooky, but dammit jim

this is aggravating

nyabn_webmaster
Jun 7, 2007, 9:03 PM
Maybe you could post those email address to help us out. I won't say i'm too lazy to look them up

no problem, this article was X-posted by Huey from Bialoge where it has all the links built in (we can't jut copy and paste the HTML into here so it's a problem for us, sorry)

just go here and click the links: http://bialogue.livejournal.com/13491.html