PDA

View Full Version : Poll: why would/wouldn't you come...

CSBForum
Jun 2, 2007, 11:20 PM
If you saw a local ad saying that there was a Bi Social Barbeque planned for June 30 at a local public park would you be interested? Would you come or wouldn't you, and why/why not? If not, what else would you suggest for a Bi Social?

I have a local group in Colorado Springs, and I'm trying to get a feel for what bi people want.

innaminka
Jun 3, 2007, 12:32 AM
To be honest, I probably wouldn't go.
My sexuality is only one aspect of my life - it doesn't define me.
I have a secure, homogenous friendship grouping to whom my bi-ness is not a factor.
I guess I don't feel the need to attend a gethering based just on one criteria.

This forum is wonderful. I love to read and share the different ideas and thoughts of the people here; its also fun and relaxation. But to a degree, its also anonymous, which in the long run, suits me ideally.

What I think I'm trying to say is that personally, I don't wear flags about my sexuality. I'm comfortable with the way I am.

This of course is not to support any who would go; each to their own. :three:

DiamondDog
Jun 3, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'd go because I like to meet people face to face and not through a computer.

Azrael
Jun 3, 2007, 12:48 AM
Exactly! In fact, I may organize something like this as soon as the mood suits me.

oralplus
Jun 3, 2007, 1:32 AM
Becouse is to b...y far. that is why :tong:

flexuality
Jun 3, 2007, 1:36 AM
Sol and I would probably go....as long as there wasn't a sign or anything in the park announcing "Bisexual BBQ" or something.

We don't wear flags on our sexualities either, but on the other hand it would be nice to meet people SOCIALLY and make friends where if bisexual comes up, no one's gonna go running for the door!

hhmm....I think that's kinda the gist of my profile too! lol! :rolleyes:

CSBForum
Jun 3, 2007, 2:27 AM
We don't wear flags on our sexualities either, but on the other hand it would be nice to meet people SOCIALLY and make friends where if bisexual comes up, no one's gonna go running for the door!

EXACTLY! That's what I'm doing this for! It's not pride parade/ flag waving sort of thing....it's a social. Ribs... chicken... over a grill sort of thing.

dibbspixie
Jun 3, 2007, 3:39 AM
i would go but only because i have friends that would be there, and it would be a good chance to have a chat face to face, instead of through the computer. maybe even make lots of new friends.

Bisexualnewbie
Jun 3, 2007, 8:59 AM
I have tried to post in here to arrange a night out for bi's in Las Vegas but to no avail, I would definitely go as long as, like a few of the posts have said it was not advertised as a bisexual BBQ, I think like many that my bisexuality is part of who I am and not all of who I am.

Solomon
Jun 3, 2007, 9:27 AM
i think i'll decline..... dealing with an autistic adult (who might as well be a child) tends to kill any measure of socializing for us

jem_is_bi
Jun 3, 2007, 10:13 AM
I feel that it is important to keep public parks as great place for everyone bring their family. So, I would attend such an event provided banners, flags or tee shirts, pin on buttons, etc. were not displayed to press a social agenda. I would come to meet interesting bisexual people and have a fun time. I would not be part of an “in your face” demonstration for a bisexual rights in such a setting.

JEM

the mage
Jun 3, 2007, 10:26 AM
Its always a good idea to try to met F2F.
Often difficult on this here interweb thingy..

As with a Munch in the BDSM world, when people meet to socialize in public all signs of normality should be in place, no agenda present..

elian
Jun 3, 2007, 10:27 AM
EXACTLY! That's what I'm doing this for! It's not pride parade/ flag waving sort of thing....it's a social. Ribs... chicken... over a grill sort of thing.

You'd have to publish the announcement in the right publications - I don't know if I would put a big sign up around the neighborhood - you might get some unwelcome visitors - maybe not.

I'm introverted by nature so I don't know if I would just "show up" without any previous context but say for example if I knew you all on here reasonably well and lived close enough I would probably go.

I know in the good old days of BBS'ing (when the modem calls were to private local numbers) we used to get together once a summer for a picnic - it was nice to finally put a face on the person you had been in the forums with for a long time.

The internet based forums are neat because you get folks from all over the world - but it makes it a lot harder to do any sort of actual physical get-together.

Enoll
Jun 3, 2007, 11:20 AM
I would but only if they had steaks.
A BBQ with sausages only seems lacking to me. (waoh unintended double meaning there.... :rolleyes: )

sexybicplinwv
Jun 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
Bring on the food :bigrin: And am all up for meet new people... :female:

Doggie_Wood
Jun 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
As others have already expressed, I too would most likely attend a social gathering of this type, provided there were no political or social agendas a'foot.
I enjoy meating new folk, and even as I try to do so in my travels, logistics and timing are at times barriers.
Make my steak medium well, please. And sausages are nice too. :)

Dogwood :doggie:

PolyLoveTriad
Jun 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
If it had the word Bi or Bisexual in it I wouldnt. Reason is we are in the closet to our family, most of whom are very relgious, and wouldnt want to risk any of them seeing us at it. If we were out of the closet to everyone, sure, we would go.

Enoll
Jun 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
Also, they'd have to have a keg of halfway decent beer.

Azrael
Jun 3, 2007, 5:08 PM
Also, they'd have to have a keg of halfway decent beer.
Leave that to me.
1 keg Guinness, 1 keg Smithwick's. You can have a black, a smith or a fuckin' blacksmith and that's it.
Except of course for the several bottles of cask strength Macallan Single malt.
I got this under control, methinks.

TaylorMade
Jun 3, 2007, 5:19 PM
Flags or not, I'd go and drag friends there (especially if there were spirits! perfer those to beer) if it were local.

Anyone from church sees me... well, I guess my happy ass is out, isn't it?

:)

*Taylor*

Herbwoman39
Jun 3, 2007, 7:44 PM
I'd love to go and bring hubby along. An online community is a wonderful thing but i still miss having a group of like minded people to hang out with in the 3 dimensional world.

darkeyes
Jun 3, 2007, 7:59 PM
well, I guess my happy ass is out, isn't it?

:)

*Taylor* ooo Taylor...wudn mind a wee gander at that..tee hee :bigrin:

deeTM
Jun 3, 2007, 8:13 PM
I'd certainly go if it were to occur nearby.

dee

biwords
Jun 3, 2007, 11:41 PM

My preference as well...

FalconAngel
Jun 4, 2007, 12:54 AM
As long as it was a real BBQ and not something bogus just to out folks, we would go.
We prefer to meet folks face to face as well and we see too many folks on the web that say they want to meet and never actually meet anyone in person.

CSBForum
Jun 4, 2007, 1:50 AM
As long as it was a real BBQ and not something bogus just to out folks, we would go.
But if you didn't know me, how would you know it was a "real BBQ"? I'm trying to attract people who haven't come yet. Our group is very small. How should i advertize so that people will feel comforable?

We prefer to meet folks face to face as well and we see too many folks on the web that say they want to meet and never actually meet anyone in person.
I hate that. That's one of the reasons i'm getting a real live group together.

Enoll
Jun 4, 2007, 2:04 AM
Leave that to me.
1 keg Guinness, 1 keg Smithwick's. You can have a black, a smith or a fuckin' blacksmith and that's it.
Except of course for the several bottles of cask strength Macallan Single malt.
I got this under control, methinks.

Azrael is now my favourite guy on this forum.

Frodo
Jun 4, 2007, 6:43 AM
...hum...really like the idea though I don't think I'd go for the simple reason that I really really don't like food :tong:

ohbimale
Jun 5, 2007, 12:20 AM
If it were closer to Ohio I would go to meet like minded people face to face, enjoy good company, food and drink. Socials are a great way to gather and form bonds of friendship.

matterinhand
Jun 5, 2007, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=CSBForum] I'm trying to attract people who haven't come yet. Our group is very small. How should i advertize so that people will feel comforable?
QUOTE]

Make the words 'BBQ, all welcome" the main thing you see, then in smaller writing underneath "Organised by ####### bi gay and lesbian group" (as an example.) Anyone who thinks we're unnatural will either not come or turn up and look a fool when their rantings are met with the offer of a burger and a beer.

Then, on the day, have small badge size stickers to be worn by the organisers to allow people to approach them

Not2str8
Jun 5, 2007, 1:03 AM
I'd jump at the chance to meet others, particularly those from the room that I've only gotten to know online. Would I drive to Colorado to do it ? Sadly, probably not. But if there's one somewhat local.....count me in. I'll bring the tater salad.

Azrael
Jun 5, 2007, 1:18 AM
Azrael is now my favourite guy on this forum.
I do my best, darling.

rissababynta
Jun 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=CSBForum] I'm trying to attract people who haven't come yet. Our group is very small. How should i advertize so that people will feel comforable?
QUOTE]

Make the words 'BBQ, all welcome" the main thing you see, then in smaller writing underneath "Organised by ####### bi gay and lesbian group" (as an example.) Anyone who thinks we're unnatural will either not come or turn up and look a fool when their rantings are met with the offer of a burger and a beer.

Then, on the day, have small badge size stickers to be worn by the organisers to allow people to approach them

i kind of agree. it's like when my husband and i tried to start a pagan study group. we had many genuine people come but the entire event was ruined by people harassing us because they didn't agree with what we believed and went out of their way to throw a fit. that would be the only thing that would make me nervous if it was advertised as a bisexual BBQ.

other than that, we would definitely go :bigrin:

CSBForum
Jun 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
Make the words 'BBQ, all welcome" the main thing you see, then in smaller writing underneath "Organised by ####### bi gay and lesbian group" (as an example.)

Good idea, but you'll pardon me if I leave out the words "gay and lesbian". When they gay and lesbian groups advertize "bi" they don't really mean it; I know what I'm talking about. I don't want any of those "pick a side" type of gay and lesbian people showing up.

maybe BBQ, friends welcome....not ALL welcome. :kay:

shameless agitator
Jun 6, 2007, 3:01 AM
I would go & wouldn't have a problem with it being obvious what the gathering was. I've been to several gay pride events including some in very conservative hick towns and I've found that as long as we weren't trying to create problems, people left us alone. Sometimes I feel like the only bi person in the world, so it would be nice to actually meet others of my ilk who wouldn't need all of the stereotypes debunked for them. This sounds like a great idea. Think I'll try to organize one for Seattle.

welickit
Jun 6, 2007, 3:40 PM
Not only would we attend we would volunteer to help. We both volunteer at local Pride events and have a good time and meet lots of really nice folks.
The unfortunate part is that many people on sites like this expect such gatherings to be sexually oriented. That is far from being the case. It is about a community of like minded individuals forming a common bond. People being there for each other in a time of need or just sharing life experiences ideas and ideals. If the trash on this site was taken out it could be really good forum. :flag3:

biecnal
Jun 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
If you saw a local ad saying that there was a Bi Social Barbeque planned for June 30 at a local public park would you be interested? Would you come or wouldn't you, and why/why not? If not, what else would you suggest for a Bi Social?

I have a local group in Colorado Springs, and I'm trying to get a feel for what bi people want.

BBQ, oh hell yes! It would be great to meet other bi's!

shameless agitator
Jun 7, 2007, 2:30 PM
I think I will try to organize a bi get together in Seattle. Anybody here interested?

Toad82
Jun 7, 2007, 11:55 PM
I would go to one in Wasington or Oregon. Also in Las Vegas, but then again I would use any reason to go back to Vegas.

gb11vt18
Jun 8, 2007, 12:03 AM
Well a party is nice but alot of people like to seperate what they do it bed from what they do in real life. I would like to come becasue to meet people and chat is good enough for me. However I do not think that this ideal will be very successful good luck for you.

Johnny Reb
Jun 8, 2007, 11:23 AM
I would come if it was kept low key and I knew that people organizing it or was invited by someone I knew well (in person or the internet). I am studying to be a teacher and don't need to be outed against my will to people who don't need to know about my sexuality. It is just a part of my identity.

BareHunter45
Jun 8, 2007, 3:29 PM
I'd like to go, but probably would not. It is like a BBQ outing that may turn into my sexuality "outing". Perhaps a bit too public for me.

Rocsteady
Jun 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
I would attend. I would not be crazy about the ad appearing in the local paper because I feel that would draw the phonies or people wanting to make trouble. It should probably be posted in the local gay/lesbian bars or clubs or in the local GLBT office. Contacting local GBLT clubs would be a benefit too.

CSBForum
Jun 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
Thank for all your replies. I am going to do it. I'll be there with shish kebabs if anyone wants to show up. :rolleyes:

:bibounce: :bibounce: :bibounce: :bibounce:
BBQ / Potluck
We'll bring the shish kebabs!

Organized by the Pikes Peak Pride Center Bi Group

June 30th at Memorial Park
No flag waving... just good food and good people.

Email CSBForum@hotmail.com for details
:bibounce: :bibounce: :bibounce: :bibounce: