PDA

View Full Version : More concerns about privacy...

rayosytruenos
Sep 26, 2005, 3:06 PM
Hi everyone!

I know that everyone is different, so I'm not sure how many of you would agree on this...

I was knowing the site a bit more, as I'm still quite new, and while started to check out how to see profiles, suddenly I saw under the pic on the right a message telling me that that person was currently chatting. I was a bit shocked, and checked other profiles, with even more shocking messages: currently viewing thread "A", currently checking site index, currently checking "who's on-line", currently checking user "A" profile (!!!), currently private messaging(!!!).

I'm not sure where to draw the line for privacy in here, and I guess everyone is going to have a different opinion, but I think telling everybody (who could check my profile at that moment) that I'm engaged in a private message, or checking the profile of the user "A", I think that's going too far...

In my opinion, it would be more than enough with 3 basic messages:
1) currently off-line.
2) currently on-line.
3) currently chatting (as you can be on-line doing other things on the site, but not being available for chatting).

If you are chatting, I think it shouldn't say if it is in the main room, or in the men's or women's room and even less in a private chat!!!

Neither I think anybody should know whose profile I'm checking or even what thread I'm reading...

What do you think?

It would be great to have also the input from the moderators/webmaster of the site.

All the best,

rayosytruenos

SweetAmy
Sep 26, 2005, 3:53 PM
I think this is a bit much. I dont mind people checking where I am and what I am doing. I have nothing to hide. They will know if I am busy typing a message or busy chatting to bother me or not. I love this site and I wouldnt want to have it any other way.

Maybe using the invisable mode for you would be good so you dont think people are following you around. Everyone that is on the internet is unfolding their privacy...thats how the internet works IMO

Amy :flag3:

rupertbare
Sep 26, 2005, 4:37 PM
Ray
I'm not sure that I'm with you on this one at all. Things seem fine as they stand and I've not come across anyone else voicing this opion on how the site is set up - still every view is worth airing otherwise things would never evolve or improve - and Drew IS improving and "tinkering" with the site over time.
It should be interesting to see what responses you get to this thread. It could well be that others do share your concerns.

Love and Peace
Rupe, UK.

m.in.heels&hose
Sep 26, 2005, 5:41 PM
Hello ray
i am not too concerned over the site telling other members what i am doing within the site, afterall, we are not doing anything we shouldnt be ashamed of and we are doing nothing wrong or forbidden.

i do see why you may be a little concerned, but i dont think drew is going to do anything that would be detrimental to the longevity of this site

thanks for listening!
m.in.heels&hose :bipride:

arana
Sep 26, 2005, 5:54 PM
Altho I use the who's online a lot to see if some of my friends are in chat to talk to, I can see your point Ray. You are open to someone who may what to stalk you. If someone you know finds out you come to the site they would be able to see your ever move and who you contact or who contacts you. Plus the fact this sites who's online feature is not always correct. I've seen people who I know were not online and it said they were in chat all night. Or I've left the site and been told that it still shows I'm there long after I've left. There are flaws within the flaws.

csrakate
Sep 26, 2005, 6:06 PM
You could go to your options and view things you consider private under the "invisible" mode can't you.

I've never used it but I know it is there. Anyone know if it works?

Kate

curiousguy2005
Sep 26, 2005, 6:56 PM
How about "Currently cybersexing a male" "CUrrently cybersexing a female" or "Currently cybersexing both", along with current erecttion status, body temperature, and other arousal levels?

OK, so I'm a perv.

:)

SweetBlackAngel
Sep 26, 2005, 11:27 PM
How about "Currently cybersexing a male" "CUrrently cybersexing a female" or "Currently cybersexing both", along with current erecttion status, body temperature, and other arousal levels?

OK, so I'm a perv.

:)

A perv, maybe. But that was funny! :bigrin: :tong:

Brian
Sep 27, 2005, 12:02 AM
Background: The Who' Online feature came with the software that we bought to run this site. To be honest I am not sure what the designers were thinking, because it is not really much of a feature, but I think they thought it would add to the community feel.

I have to admit, the first time I read this thread I thought "C'mon now". But then I noticed that the Who's Online does indeed actually show WHO you are Private Messaging when you are composing a message. And similarly when using the AIM, email, ICQ, Yahoo and MSN features. Yikes, that IS showing more info than we all need to know!

So... I have modified the Who's online so it does not show detail in those cases I mention above. It will still show detail for less important issues, such as showing exactly what thread/article users are viewing. I think the new settings are a good balance between building a community feel and privacy.

Also keep in mind: the Who's Online can be up to 12 minutes behind all of us when they log off or leave the site because of the way the software works, so that is why it sometimes shows people as in the chatroom when they are in fact are not.

Arana: As for showing a friend in the chat all night when they weren't - I think that must have been a case of the person leaving their browser open on the chat page, even though they weren't actually in the chat.

- Drew :paw:

chook
Sep 27, 2005, 2:59 AM
I really dont see what all the fuss is about, I come on line I look at the people who are in and then I go to who's doing what (or who) and then I make up my mind wether or not to enter the site. If some one is busy chatting its a good indication not to bother them so really it has its uses.

another :2cents: worth :rolleyes:

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

JohnnyV
Sep 27, 2005, 7:29 PM
I'm new. If anyone wants to find me, please come and find me. I'd love to talk and have no need for privacy, especially since I am in cyberspace and nobody can find my house.