PDA

View Full Version : New around here

Pensive
May 21, 2007, 5:12 AM
Hello everyone! I'm completely new to this site, so I figured before I do anything else a brief introduction would be in order. I'm a 21 year old male living in the Twin Cities area. I have long wanted to talk about my sexuality with other like-minded people, but the circumstances of my life have prevented that (I am a recent graduate of a somewhat strict Christian college, and paranoia about someone finding out I'm bi kept me from talking about it with anyone in any context for a while) until very recently. Well, actually, until today.

I'm very bisexual with a moderate preference for men, although all my relationships up until now have been with girls, and I have had some very satisfying ones. I've come here looking to understand myself better, and maybe to meet people struggle with the same issues I do.

On a more superficial level I'm a person of pretty broad interests. First and foremost, I'm a geek who loves video games, computers, and pen and paper games of most varieties. I'm not really into sports, but I work out regularly to make up for the lack of activity. I'm really social and I spend a lot of my time with friends, although I also like being alone for extended periods. I write things sometimes that I tend to be very sensitive about. I'm a libertarian who's not really religious (my experience at a conservative Christian college has largely killed that), but I love philosophy and I read all I can about it, although a lot of my favorite works aren't what you might expect. It bothers me when people are cruel more than anything else.

I look forward to getting to know the rest of you. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading one of what are probably many intro posts.

flexuality
May 21, 2007, 5:21 AM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x235/flexiphoto/welcome/z464b717862869.gif

There are lots of like minded people here! :)

So what kind of philosophy do you read? There seems to be a lot of us into that, and all kinds of different ones too.

DiamondDog
May 21, 2007, 7:24 AM
hello!

Welcome to the site.

I wrote a bit about myself on my profile on here.

Which college in MN did you go to?

Tingly_Tickles
May 21, 2007, 8:31 AM
Welcome Pensive hope someone can help you out.

Tingly_Tickles
May 21, 2007, 8:32 AM
Welcome Pensive hope someone can help you out.

hehe wave your flag high and show it proud :flag3: :flag3: :flag3: :flag3:

littlerayofsunshine
May 21, 2007, 8:41 AM
Welcome to the site pensive :) and congratulations on your graduation. :bibounce:

arana
May 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
Welcome Pensive! Make yourself at home and enjoy your stay.

onewhocares
May 21, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hello Pensive,

First, welcome to the site. I am glad thatyou have found your way here. Secondly, I throughly enjoyed your introduction. You sound very interesting and I look forward to chatting with you. I hope that you will enjoy your stay here and find the answers to the questions you have kept inside for the longest time. One this I found interesting is your comments on religion. I feel the same way. I am the most unreligious person I know. It is a direct result of my very religious mother forcing us into it. Now, none of her children are devote. Too many better things to do on a Sunday morning.

Well, welcome again.

Belle

TaylorMade
May 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Pensive...

I've been close to where you are... oddly enough, it took me walking away from God for me to come back to Him and like who I saw in the mirror. He and I have a contentious relationship, but an honest one.

Our journeys take us to different places; for some it's a straight line, others take a more roundabout route. I'm back where I started, but I don't feel like I've walked in circles.

Welcome.

*Taylor*

Pensive
May 21, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's refreshing to find an internet forum that's not kind of elitist or snobby (I've had bad experiences in the past). In response to some of your comments:

Flexuality - My philosophical reading is largely the ancient Greek and Roman philosophers (Plato, Socrates, etc.), although thanks to the evangelical Christian stage of my life, I've read a *lot* of books defending theism and the Christian view of it that I would categorize under philosophy. Some of them I think are utter trash, but there are still some that I respect (C.S. Lewis is still one of my favorite authors) even if I don't agree with everything. I've not had a lot of experience with more modern philosophers, but I'm looking to read more. I really like the ancients, though, because I think they came to a lot of really valid conclusions years before anyone else.

Diamonddog - I'm not ready to talk very specifically about that yet. I'm not really out, and because I'm not entirely done with my old college yet (I've graduated but they send you the diploma in the mail), I've still got some last vestiges of paranoia. I think later I'll be able to be open, but the last year of my life has been devoted to keeping my head down so I could avoid getting in trouble with them, and that's a habit that's hard to shake.

Onewhocares - I totally agree with your sentiments about religion. I think I would still consider myself a theist, but in the wake of my Christianity largely collapsing, it's hard to know where to go from there. On most Sunday mornings the thing I'm most likely to do is sleep in. It's supposed to be a day of rest, after all =D

Taylormade - I'm really interested in talking about your experiences with God and faith in the future; I'm very interested in religions and how other people see the world. Thanks again for the welcome!