PDA

View Full Version : OFF TOPIC: Sorry I had to post this

tink1978
Apr 23, 2007, 4:52 PM
BEIJING — A crocodile shot to death in south China during a search for a missing 9-year-old student was found to contain the child's remains, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

The crocodile was shot Saturday in a park in Beihai, a city in the Guangxi region, by investigators looking for the missing child. Investigators confirmed that human remains found in the reptile were that of the student, the report said.

The child, surnamed Liu, disappeared Friday after Liu and three other children climbed over the fence around a pool in the park that had been used to stage crocodile shows, Xinhua said.

"The children shot the animals with catapults and beat them with wooden sticks," the agency said. "One of the irritated crocodiles bit Liu's clothes and dragged him into water, where he was eaten by a swarm of crocodiles."

Snipers used pork to lure the reptiles from the pool on Saturday and shot the first one that crawled ashore, the report said.

No other details were given, and it wasn't immediately clear what would happen to the other crocodiles.

Ok here are my issues: 1. What were the kids doing messing with the crocodiles in the first place? 2. Why are we punishing the animal for something the human should have known better? 3. Way to go Croc.

ok that is my 2 cents

sexybicplinwv
Apr 23, 2007, 5:10 PM
You know that old saying do you know where your kid's are,,, Well that did not hold true here and that a tragic :( And for the crocodile that his way of life.

Jeff1229
Apr 23, 2007, 5:29 PM
I'm thinking that the Chinese officials involved had a credible idea of what happened to the child. I'm sure they were trying to recover the child's remains in order to give the family closure. I agree that the children should not have been in the area where the crocodiles were kept. The croc was acting in self defense when it killed the child. I always believe that any animal has the right to defend itself,unfortunately the croc came out on the wrong end of this encounter. Killing it in order to recover the remains may have been the only option. If someone else has an idea,I'd be glad to hear it.

However pointing fingers at their parents really doesn't solve anything. Perhaps they were on the way home from school and stopped off. As a parent myself,I'd love to been able to know exactly where my children were every moment of any given day. Sadly that doesn't always happen,or tragedies such as this or any other horrific crimes against children would never occur. :2cents:

Herbwoman39
Apr 23, 2007, 5:30 PM
It's not the croc's fault at all. If you abuse any animal it will eventually bite back. I hate to sound harsh because I feel for the parents, but the kid deserved exactly what he got.

Azrael
Apr 23, 2007, 5:31 PM
Holy crap, that's pretty heavy. That's what happens when you exploit animals.

tink1978
Apr 23, 2007, 6:22 PM
It's not the croc's fault at all. If you abuse any animal it will eventually bite back. I hate to sound harsh because I feel for the parents, but the kid deserved exactly what he got.

Herbwoman, I agree with you, the croc was just doing what they do best. As a mom I try to teach my children to leave wild animals alone or to be respectful of them. Watch they will go in and kill all the rest of those crocs and blame all this on them.

Jeff1229
Apr 23, 2007, 6:28 PM
If this was my child and something like this happened. Child's fault,crocs fault,or just an accident, I'd kill every crocodile in there personally until I was able to recover my child.

Solomon
Apr 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
i hafta agree with Jeff...

it is animal nature to defend themselves... i'm still an animal too :cool:

children take priority over the local wildlife, agreed?

that is the idea behind teaching the kids before something happens

country60
Apr 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
Just goes to show that family and social values are falling apart all over the world. It is to bad that the crock paid for the ignorence of a child but just think about it, when the crock hunter died people wanted to go hunt rays, when someone gets bit by a shark people go shark hunting, and back in history, when wolves attacted a ranch or farm, bounties were put on them and almost wiped them out in some areas. My point: people tend to not learn from previous mistakes and parents still don't pay attention to their childern. Thats my :2cents: on this. :tongue:

Country60

12voltman59
Apr 24, 2007, 11:08 AM
Ya know--a croc is croc---they don't have much intelligence per se but they do have good instincts that go back a few million years since they and sharks are among the few remaining creatures on the planet that come from very early times---

A croc is a predatory creature and if an animal or a person gets too close to them----WHAM!!!!!---the croc is going to follow its instincts and take a human----a human child is a rather small morsel for a big croc since they can take things like Wildebeasts and such with no problem---

If that kid was teasing the croc--he was playing with fire and the fire reached out and touched him---

biwords
Apr 24, 2007, 2:38 PM
If this was my child and something like this happened. Child's fault,crocs fault,or just an accident, I'd kill every crocodile in there personally until I was able to recover my child.

I'm with Jeff. And it's one thing to say that the croc was blameless, and another to say that the child 'deserved' it. I mean, really!

Solomon
Apr 25, 2007, 5:32 AM
i agree 100% volty, crocs do have millions of years of instincs and those crocs in particular just did what it is they do

i also have millions of years of instincs and my instincs tell me that if one of those crocs did that with my 9 yo son... his fault, the crocs fault, nobody's fault... i'm gonna be wearing croc leather boots, with matching croc leather suitcases :cool:

etncple
Apr 25, 2007, 6:13 AM
Obviously the croc acted on it's instincts, both to eat and to protect itself and maybe it's offspring. What were the kids doing there? Being kids, thats what. No different than them playing with matches, or dady's power tools or his hunting rifle, or the electrical socket when they are still crawling around, or having a few beers and racing their car when they are teens. Kids don't perceive dangerous situations and no matter how much we try and educate them, their natural curiosity oversomes this "training" at times. Why shoot the croc? Well some animals are more aggressive when sick or injured, or when their habitats are constantly being "intruded into" by humans, or other animals. This could have been the case here. There is also the "closure" mentioned by someone else in this thread. I would have shot it myself if I was the parent, same as I would a neighbors dog that attacked one of my children. As we encroach more and more on the natural habitats of animals this is going to happen again and again. Here in Tennessee we have had bear attacks and will continue to have them unless they close the national parks.
Of course thats just my opinion and I could be wrong :2cents:

12voltman59
Apr 25, 2007, 5:19 PM
Obviously the croc acted on it's instincts, both to eat and to protect itself and maybe it's offspring. What were the kids doing there? Being kids, thats what. No different than them playing with matches, or dady's power tools or his hunting rifle, or the electrical socket when they are still crawling around, or having a few beers and racing their car when they are teens. Kids don't perceive dangerous situations and no matter how much we try and educate them, their natural curiosity oversomes this "training" at times. Why shoot the croc? Well some animals are more aggressive when sick or injured, or when their habitats are constantly being "intruded into" by humans, or other animals. This could have been the case here. There is also the "closure" mentioned by someone else in this thread. I would have shot it myself if I was the parent, same as I would a neighbors dog that attacked one of my children. As we encroach more and more on the natural habitats of animals this is going to happen again and again. Here in Tennessee we have had bear attacks and will continue to have them unless they close the national parks.
Of course thats just my opinion and I could be wrong :2cents:

I am curious--are you suggesting that those parks be done away with along with the bears?

wanderingrichard
Apr 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
now, if i read this right, this was in a public park?? like, a town park and not a nature park, right??

if thats the case, then who the hell in their right mind would willingly allow someone to " store" such dangerous animals in a place where things like this could happen??

maybe we shouldnt be blaming crocs, kids or parents, but city/gov't "officials"?

TashaSW
Apr 26, 2007, 2:12 AM
Well, if I was a Croc and someone was throwing stuff at me and bothering me when I was minding my own business then they better stop and get out FAST!!
Poor Croc.... he just wanted that kid to stop it.

Kids these days think nothing bad will happen even if they were told so... they still do it without fear.
No fear is nice but sometimes putting yourself in a dangerous way is actually stupid and careless.

The Croc shouldn't be killed but as a good reminder what happens if you let your kids tease the wild. And a lesson for kids what happens if you don't play it safe.

Solomon
Apr 26, 2007, 2:23 AM
great.... tell ya what, everyone that feels sorry for the croc, go feed your 9 year old to'em and then come back an tell me how sorry ya feel for the croc k? it would after all be not the croc's fault!!

btw... has it occured to anyone that once a wild animal gets a taste of human, they go after more?

TashaSW
Apr 26, 2007, 2:32 AM
great.... tell ya what, everyone that feels sorry for the croc, go feed your 9 year old to'em and then come back an tell me how sorry ya feel for the croc k? it would after all be not the croc's fault!!

btw... has it occured to anyone that once a wild animal gets a taste of human, they go after more?

Very true... which is why we should never mess with the wild animals.

12voltman59
Apr 26, 2007, 10:05 AM
If you reread the story--those kids climbed a fence that surrounded the pool that held the crocs---so--it's kind of like Jeff Foxworthy's old joke about what the last thing a redneck says before he dies:
"Hey Y'all--watch this!!"

Well--if they have a pool filled with crocs that has a big fence around it and probably has some sort of warning signs expressing the danger and the fact that one is trespassing and is not where one is supposed to be--well too freaking bad that you came to a bad end--

The crocs did us a favor by eating up the kid who came from the shallow end of the gene pool!!!! They did their basic function in nature--eat up the lame, the sick and the stupid!!!!

:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:

wanderingrichard
Apr 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
ok, anyone know if theres been a follow up on this in the news?? got a link, please send it to me... i'd like to see the political spin on this one, cause i'm blamin the dumbasses that set the events in motion by puttin these critters in a non kid proof enclosure.. aint blamin the critter or the kids...

flexuality
Apr 27, 2007, 3:46 AM
All I have to say on this whole thing is that I am glad it wasn't my child that some of you would be saying deserved it.

Would you be saying the child desrved it if it was YOUR child?

etncple
Apr 27, 2007, 5:47 AM
I am curious--are you suggesting that those parks be done away with along with the bears?

No I am not suggesting getting rid of the parks or the bears. I am saying that these things will always happen, on occasion, when you mix humans with wild animals. Very rarely does animal attack a human unless the person has either theatened it, or its offspring, or its territory and children are a more tempting target due to their size, whether the attacker is a croc, bear, dingo, lion or any other predator. I feel for the family's loss and do feel the croc should have been killed as most animals will learn from a successful attack on a human that they are easy prey and make them more likely to attack again.
To say the kid got what he deserved is a bit ridiculous, to say the least. I wouldnt wish anyone to die from a wild animal attack(except maybe a pedophile, child killer)

superyumboi
Apr 27, 2007, 9:10 PM
something like this happened last year i believe except it was a tiger instead of a croc.

they put the tiger to sleep because it bit a kid that was taunting it.

the magnificent tiger is gone.

the kid lives to f-ck up again.

sweet.