PDA

View Full Version : nz's first trans police officer is hitting the beat

Long Duck Dong
Apr 21, 2007, 11:04 PM
yeah, its finally happened...good on the officer for breaking down the barriers in a workplace.....nz also has the first trans member of parliament, georgina byers

nz first trans police officer (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4034253a15596.html) ( this is the link to the full news article )

As Constable Steve Lurajud, he was a macho-man cop with a bushy moustache and a No1 haircut who once risked his life to pull a pensioner from a burning building.

But when the self-confessed former "blokey bloke" returns to the Christchurch police next month it will be as ultra-feminine Constable Sarah Lurajud - New Zealand's first sex-change cop.

"Now I'm just an ordinary middle-aged woman leading an ordinary middle-aged existence ... if anything I'm conservative."

"When I go into town I'm accepted as a woman, when I go to work I'm accepted as a woman and when I'm at home I'm a woman," she said.

DeafF2M
Apr 22, 2007, 11:55 PM
Wow, GREAT. There are a bunch of transgendered cops in the U.S... the first I knew about was an FTM in San Francisco who began transitioning on the job, as a cop. Since then, I've "met" a few more online in various trans email support groups.

Very, very cool.